Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 X-Men: First Class 

What grade would you give this film?
A 64%  64%  [ 21 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33

X-Men: First Class 
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: X-Men: First Class
I just wish this movie was only Magneto and Xavier, not the X-babies and the Hellfire club and the CIA and the Soviets and all that other nonsense. There's too much going on.

But yeah, I don't think we need a sequel to this. It leads in perfectly to the first X-Men. Anything in between would just feel redundant.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:16 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

X-Men: First Class may be the best X-Men yet. I am probably in the minority when saying this but it felt really good to watch an X-Men film without Wolverine in it. The first two films are great, but without Wolverine being followed around, it gave the film that nice fresh spin it needed. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender worked really well together and even though we won't get a Magneto origin story, the amount this film did give of that origin was enough. Kevin Bacon does a fine good job as a villain with some very villainous, but also at times funny bits of dialogue. Director Michael Vaughn continues to show his great directing chops here and it does rival his work from last year, Kick-Ass. The film is paced very well, the action is great and doesn't try to overpower the story, and it felt like the price of admission was worth it. ***1/2

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:11 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Magnus Prime wrote:
trixster wrote:
I just wish this movie was only Magneto and Xavier, not the X-babies and the Hellfire club and the CIA and the Soviets and all that other nonsense. There's too much going on.

Ditto.

Speaking of top superhero films....LIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Unbreakable
4. X2
5. Batman
6. Superman
7. Batman Returns
8. Spider-Man 2
9. Superman II
10. Hellboy II

01. Unbreakable
02. The Dark Knight
03. X2
04. Superman
05. X-Men
06. The Incredibles
07. Batman Returns
08. Blade II
09. Batman Begins
10. Spider-Man 2

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:49 am
Pure Phase

Unbreakable is overrated.

If I were ranking Night's movies, it'd be fifth.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:57 am
Pure Phase

I'll become a ghost and watch the superior Lady in the Water.

EDIT: Oh, just a slap now? :P

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:01 am
Pure Phase

Perhaps we can all agree The Village is his best...

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:04 am
loyalfromlondon

I don't hit women.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:05 am
I heet the canadian!

Unbreakable is actually Night's best film, and far superior to First Class.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:05 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

X2 is still the best superhero film ever.

A-

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:26 am
Where will you be?

Best comic book/graphic novel list would be more interesting, imo.

1. Spider-Man 2
2. The Incredibles
3. The Dark Knight
4. X2: X-Men United
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Hulk
7. Hellboy II: The Golden Army
8. Batman Begins
9. Iron Man
10. Watchmen: The Director's Cut

Note: I've never seen Richard Donner's Superman movies...

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:17 am
On autopilot for the summer

MovieDude wrote:

1. Spider-Man 2
2. The Incredibles
3. The Dark Knight
6. Hulk
8. Batman Begins
9. Iron Man

Your missing the best casting decision probably ever made, even Reeve in 3 and 4 is still great to watch.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:27 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Thegun wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

1. Spider-Man 2
2. The Incredibles
3. The Dark Knight
6. Hulk
8. Batman Begins
9. Iron Man

Your missing the best casting decision probably ever made, even Reeve in 3 and 4 is still great to watch.

Yeah, Drunk and unshaven SUPERMAN was a treat to watch.. :thumbsup:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

STEVE ROGERS wrote:
You know the problem with X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?? It's the fact that when I see characters like MAGNETO and Professor X on screen, I immediately think of Sir Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewert: Both are tremendous actors that were made for these characters, not James Mcevoy and Michael Fassender.. This really didn't need backstory at all and came off grasping and reaching..

You have to see the movie, I now only envision these two as the perfect younger versions of both.

I thought this would always be bad, but merging Singer's Magneto with First Class brings in two very awesome elements not yet seen in this franchise, I thought having lesser known mutants would hurt it, but this is Xavier and Magneto's show and they are truly unbelievable. And the 60s element only enhances it. I love the Russia vs. Mutant which is worst theme going through the whole film, its funny and still manages to raise some interesting social questions.

This movie was pretty awesome, and this is how the Star Wars Prequels should have been done. Vadar's such an interesting character, yet Magneto and Mystique are both truly tragic characters that are forced leave by the end.

I just really dug everything about this film, and the cameo is epic. X-Men also continues to have the the only acceptable and well done action sequences in all superhero films. Other than a few minor cheesy effects shots (I actually liked Beast, though I liked Grammer's prosthetic look a little more) I hope they make another 5 films.

Still not the best of the series, but right in there with the best of them. A

Spoiler: show
Hugh Jackman still kicks serious ass, and I hope its not the last we see of Wolverine, I'd even love merging the next sequel of this with Wolverine's sequel, the timeline works as he still hasn't loss his memory yet, or at least get these writers over onto that film

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:28 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Hardly better than the trailer suggests. Only slightly better than 'Hannibal Rising'. 4/10.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

2nd best of the X-Men films. Behind X2.

Wonderful film.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:02 pm

X2 is so amazing, it has TORNADOES. That automatically makes it better than this.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 pm
Extraordinary

When I was asked earlier today for my brief opinion of the previous four X-Men movies was, I replied: Liked, Hated, Loved, Skipped.

So my opinion of the fifth one, X-Men: First Class, in a word: Liked.

...but I'll tell ya, it was much closer to Loved for about an hour in the middle third of this movie - - but the other 75 minutes of this movie drag it down like an anchor. By the end it's becoming obviousness stacked on obviousness. There's a great 95 minute movie in here - - I just hope the shortened director's cut pulls it out of this rather bloated storyline of a super hero movie.

Lots of great and good actors, but too many characters, of course, and thus many get short shrifted.

So despite the verve contained within, XM:FC is tragically too long and too short.

4 out of 5.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:35 am
Veteran

jmovies wrote:
I am probably in the minority when saying this but it felt really good to watch an X-Men film without Wolverine in it. The first two films are great, but without Wolverine being followed around, it gave the film that nice fresh spin it needed.

I'm just glad the movie didn't turn into the Wolverine starts shit-sob story saga for half of it.

I really liked this X-Men. There was loads to be happy about. Cameos, flying airplanes, cool mutant powers... The only thing that I wish they did more of is expand on the supporting characters. All things aside, it's a great film that is anchored by great acting from Fassbender and McAvoy. I really loved the Mystique take on all this. That B-plot will really set things up in the future. 9/10

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Magnus Prime wrote:
Barrabás wrote:
X2 is so amazing, it has TORNADOES. That automatically makes it better than this.

This kind of had tornadoes actually.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:38 pm
Extraordinary

Here's a review of this movie that captures some of my disappointment:

Quote:
"Try again, guys." (3 out of 5 stars)

There are two major conflicts running through "X-Men: First Class." One is interesting, though we’ve seen it before, and one is near-fatal to the film.
The first conflict is the ideological loggerheads between two powerful mutants — Charles Xavier (James McAvoy), a telepath, and Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender), who can manipulate metal with his mind. Charles is aware that normal humans hate and fear mutants, but wants to help humans anyway. Erik is likewise aware, but gradually decides that he would rather not. The second conflict is one of tone. X-Men: First Class, set during the early ’60s leading up to the Cuban Missile Crisis, breathes heavily about matters of major historical import — Erik as a boy survived Auschwitz — but also wants to be a poppy summer-fun blast in which mutants sprout wings or blue fur and flit around the sky like fireflies at dusk.

The result is a weird and unstable experience, and I wish I could say I gave in to the lightweight escapism. But when you present me with the Final Solution and the spectre of nuclear annihilation — which actually almost happened, with or without mutants — I have a hard time switching gears for the goofball scenes of young mutants in training, roughhousing with their budding powers. I don’t mean to be a killjoy; I just mean to say that historical high seriousness and retro pulp don’t blend well — you can see the seams. The first two X-Men films, directed by Bryan Singer, took themselves seriously — gloomily so, at times — but at least felt consistent. The stakes were high, and Singer, an openly gay director, plumbed the metaphor of mutants as persecuted homosexuals, but when the action beats came they felt rooted in something personal. Here, the historical import seems like a tacky backdrop for tackier action.

Charles and Erik (who will later triumphantly assume the dorky name “Magneto,” snarkily given to him by Jennifer Lawrence’s shape-shifting Mystique) enter into an increasingly uneasy alliance when Erik’s old foe from the Auschwitz days, Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon), plans to use his own mutant powers and mutant minions to provoke nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia. The resulting radiation will kill off all the humans and empower the mutants. So Charles and Erik build their own team, made up mostly of disaffected youngsters with strange powers; perhaps significantly, perhaps not, of the two mutants of color, one dies early on and one turns to evil.

Michael Fassbender emerges as a cool, 007-like presence, the only real adult in the movie; James McAvoy seems to keep himself amused. For the most part, though, the large cast gets lost in the bombast, and January Jones as Shaw’s telepathic right-hand woman Emma Frost gives yet another dead-eyed performance in which she seems to be reading her lines phonetically. The director (and one of four named writers) of X-Men: First Class is credited as Matthew Vaughn, which I find hard to believe. Can this be the same man who gave us last year’s sarcastic, taboo-breaking superhero satire Kick-Ass (not to mention the enchanting comedy Stardust)? This film is a complete regression for Vaughn, who seemed to be forging a career as one of the few iconoclasts working in big Hollywood movies. There’s more outlaw excitement in any of Hit Girl’s scenes from Kick-Ass than in all of X-Men: First Class.

Save for a few hairdos and JFK on the tube, the ’60s milieu isn’t very convincing; the movie itself, meanwhile, feels as though it were made in 1996 or even 1986. A lot of that is due to Henry Jackman’s painfully cheesy score, but part of it is down to Matthew Vaughn’s passionless, visionless direction. Vaughn was supposed to direct 2006’s X-Men: The Last Stand but dropped out two weeks before filming started; did he take this movie on to prove he could’ve done better with the earlier film, or did he forget in the intervening five years why he’d wanted to make an X-Men film in the first place?

"X-Men: First Class" has been getting something of a free ride from the fanboy press, who respect Vaughn for his past films and are grateful that someone tried to make a better movie than "The Last Stand" and the oafish "Wolverine." But loyalty to a director and relief that a film doesn’t stink on ice aren’t enough reason to excuse mediocrity.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 am
ef star star kay

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:47 pm
Romosexual!

A+

Best X-men EVER! I WANT MORE with these actors.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:57 pm
100% That Bitch

A-

Really great movie and my favorite from this franchise.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

Credit to Vaughn for the execution, it's the slickest and overall best produced of the X Men films, from the visuals to the acting (well, except for January Jons). But the plot and script is just ok. I think their biggest misfire was with the Raven and Xavier relationship. After the initial setup it just kind of fades. It feels like Vaughn intended her going with Magneto instead of Xavier at the end to pull the heartstrings, but it doesn't matter at all. In general there is very little in the way of personal conflict for anyone but Erik and it hurts the film's potential

It's still up there for superhero films though. Solid A-/B+

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:36 am
Draughty

In some moments, Fassbender was more Bond than Daniel Craig has ever been. Which I know many have said but it is worth repeating.

I liked this movie well enough though I'm not an overall fan of the XMen franchise. Fassbender and McAvoy were excellent, better than the two main actors who played the older versions in previous movies and better than any other actors in this movie.

Lawrence was kind of embarrassingly flat and had little presence. Not sure what went wrong there given how much hype she has gotten in the last year.

I'd give it a B+. But just judging it with other films of the comic book genre I'd give it an A.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next