Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Bridesmaids 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27

Bridesmaids 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Bridesmaids
It's actually pretty easy Bradley

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:11 pm
New Server, Same X

You people know it's JUST a movie, right? Either you liked it or you didn't. Either you laughed a lot or not at all. You don't have to start diagnosing if characters are depressed or not.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:39 pm
The Wall

Mister Ecks wrote:
You people know it's JUST a movie, right? Either you liked it or you didn't. Either you laughed a lot or not at all. You don't have to start diagnosing if characters are depressed or not.

Yup.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I laughed quite a bit. A lot of people dissect theater, concerts, and books while still enjoying them, why can't people do it with film?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:15 pm
Where will you be?

Thegun wrote:
I laughed quite a bit. A lot of people dissect theater, concerts, and books while still enjoying them, why can't people do it with film?

Quiet you!

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 am

Thegun wrote:

Because fools believe film is entertainment first art second if at all, so we have to just enjoy them or dislike them for surface value and looking any further is pretentious and stupid.
:grrr:

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:27 am
Forum General

I find it funny people expect a raunchy comedy to be artistic?

What you wanted them make the jokes with shadows covering their faces?

Certain films you expect an artistic touch but not for these kinds of films.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Yes, I definitely felt Bridesmaids was missing a certain noir touch in its lighting.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:14 am
New Server, Same X

Michael A wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Because fools believe film is entertainment first art second if at all, so we have to just enjoy them or dislike them for surface value and looking any further is pretentious and stupid.

Not at all sir. Thanks for putting words in my mouth!

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:00 am
New Server, Same X

Although I do believe you are pretentious. You got that part right.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:01 am
Extraordinary

Mister Ecks wrote:
Michael A wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Not at all sir. Thanks for putting words in my mouth!

Be thankful it was just his words he put in your mouth.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:01 am
New Server, Same X

Eek.

Let me set the record straight here: dissecting film is perfectly fine and acceptable. It is beyond my capacity, I admit that and don't mind saying so, but it's great for people who enjoy it. But I also think it's unfair to say Libs is wrong if she thinks Wiig's character is depressed or not. If that's how she feels, great. Maybe she has a more personal connection that she doesn't wish to share (not saying she does, just saying she could have her own experience).

Also, this is Bridesmaids, not Kubrick. It does feature a woman literally defecating into a sink.

Although I wish someone would analyze those Friedberg/Seltzer movies. Their reliance on fecal humor must mean something more...

I feel bad for calling you pretentious, Michael, but you did call me (indirectly) a fool. Which is fine. I've been called worse and cared more.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:26 am
loyalfromlondon

Don't feel bad for calling Michael pretentious; it's what he is.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:52 am

Mannyisthebest wrote:
I find it funny people expect a raunchy comedy to be artistic?

What you wanted them make the jokes with shadows covering their faces?

Certain films you expect an artistic touch but not for these kinds of films.

I find it funny people expect that a raunchy comedy cannot be artistic?

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:21 pm

Mister Ecks wrote:
Eek.

Let me set the record straight here: dissecting film is perfectly fine and acceptable. It is beyond my capacity, I admit that and don't mind saying so, but it's great for people who enjoy it. But I also think it's unfair to say Libs is wrong if she thinks Wiig's character is depressed or not. If that's how she feels, great. Maybe she has a more personal connection that she doesn't wish to share (not saying she does, just saying she could have her own experience).

Also, this is Bridesmaids, not Kubrick. It does feature a woman literally defecating into a sink.

Although I wish someone would analyze those Friedberg/Seltzer movies. Their reliance on fecal humor must mean something more...

I feel bad for calling you pretentious, Michael, but you did call me (indirectly) a fool. Which is fine. I've been called worse and cared more.

I apologize for my overreaction, I just hate the "it's just a movie" case. It feels really overused in addition to being wrong. Now that you clarify analyzation is fine just not for you I have no problem. I wasn't specifically defending bridesmaids, although I enjoy the libs/others argument about depression and such. And yeah, I'm pretentious so whatever. As if trixster isn't too.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:25 pm
Forum General

"I find it funny people expect that a raunchy comedy cannot be artistic?"

I fail to understand what you mean by artistic?

Fancy lighting, or a better story?

Like I can understand if you want a drama to be more artistic but how do you make a raunchy comedy artistic and still make it a mainstream film?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Fancy lighting makes all the difference.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:26 pm
Sbil

"There is a colonial woman on the wing. I saw her, there is something they're not telling us! She was on the wing, she was out there churning butter. She is dressed in traditional colonial garb!"

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:13 pm
Begging Naked

"STOP IT. You are MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN CINDERELLA. You smell like pine needles, and have a FACE LIKE SUNSHINE."

One of my Top 5 movies of 2011. A flat-out wonderful little movie, and maybe the straight-up funniest since...hell, maybe Mean Girls or Anchorman.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I have no seen this movie a number of times (I'd say at least 15 or so) since it hit Blu and HBO and it never makes me not laugh my ass off. Seriously, the feel great movie since... Pretty much ever. This is a movie that will be remembered 20 or 30 years from now. It's comedic gold.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Just watched this, it's been awhile. It's still freaking funny. The only thing is I don't like Maya Rudolph here.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:12 am
Cream of the Crop

snack wrote:
walked out for a cigarette, didn't come back

same here, but i might give it another chance today. but i'll definitely skip the first 45 minutes this time.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 pm
Profile ICQ
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's so funny that first off I only gave this an A- when I saw it and also that it just came out in 2011. My friends and I quote this movie all the time. I can't even imagine life without it :P

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 pm
Profile YIM
The Wall

I watched it last night again and it was soooo boring.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I thought this was going to be awful. A defining chapter in America's brash and stupid female comedy encyclopedia, and I set myself up for possibly the worst film ever. But it was actually fine, and much different than I had imagined. It's even funny. I went into this with recommendations of Melissa McCarthy being hilarious, so I expected her to be the worst, but unlike most of her other films she was decent here, and actually funny - I think she certainly excels from being in support (much like in This is 40). By far the best female performer in the film. Although Wiig is also nice, and obviously does her thing (reacting/talking honestly but under her breath so as to not make it obvious to other characters) very well, but not hilariously well. But for me the highlight is Chris O’Dowd. Him, his lines, the story involving him and Wiig ... all great. Not an instant classic comedy, but definitely wouldn't have a problem watching it again if the opportunity came up, and seems like the type of film that could grow on me.

Best line for me wasn't even from any of the stars. It was the "fuck off, Helen" retort at the tennis club from her stepson.

B

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next