Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Sin City 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 44 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 68

Sin City 
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Well, I'll make it brief since I haven't had much sleep cause I went and saw this at 11:40 AM this morning, but it was Ok.. Simply Ok and I think alot of the problem I had with it was while the visuals were very stylish looking with the grays and other streaks of colors mixed in, it grew boring after around 45 Minutes and I kind of lost interest... I'd say Bruce Willis character's story was probably the best and the others were just Ok... I'd rate the violence factor up there with KILL BILL Vol 1, but KILL BILL impressed me alot more and made me have a whole new respect for female superheros like The Bride.. I'll give SIN CITY this much: It was one of the better comic to screen adaptation, at least on par with Spiderman, but While I don't think it's actually necessary that you have to read the comic SIN CITY to understand this movie, it does help.. One other thing that sort of shocked me was seeing a Mother bringing her 2 small children to this.. This definitely isn't a movie for small kids you dumb bitch...

Overall Grade: C

Uhh....I didn't know you disliked Spider-Man that much :-k

Why do you say that?? :-k I loved SPIDERMAN and it's sequel and even though I compare SIN CITY to the 2 as far as quality translated to the screen, SIN CITY was far over the top violent obviously than SPIDERMAN and I think this movie and comic is an acquired taste.. The critics might praise this or hate it like the reviews suggest, but this is a movie that is clearly not for everyone, including SMALL CHILDREN like that dumb bitch brought to this..

Um...you said it is on par with Spider-Man as far as comic book adaptations go and you give it a C. A C is not a good grade, so I logically followed that you gave around the same grade to Spider-Man.

By the way, as it is obvious that Sin City won't drop under 60% at RT, can I dictate your sig?

Sorry but I don't see the problem with BKB's grade and comments and I guess then I disagree with Lecter here.

A C is an average grade not good - not bad.

A = Execellent / Great
B = Good
C = Average - not great / not bad
D = Bad
F = Horrible Failure

I think A to C are all respectable grades.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
I'm torn. Though I love the look and feel of the film, I can't say I loved the actual film. There have been several movies lately that have experimented with the medium (Waking Life, Sky Captain, Toy Story). And though Sin City isn't a complete failure, something just doesn't feel right about it.

This film should have connected with me on every level, I fit perfectly into it's demographic. I love film noir, I love comic books, I love ultra-violence, and I love chicks with guns and knives (Can I keep Devon Aoki in one of my spare bedrooms? Maybe in a cage?)

Part of the problem for me lies in the story itself. The three chapters are wildly uneven and the dialogue, though purposely stilted, never grabbed me (outside of a random one liner).

A+ for effort
B- for the film

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:40 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Where do I begin, the film was incredible and beautiful. I love new concepts and new ideas, and this film is all about that. Rodriguez did a great job, his work on this film is incredible. The actors are all great, since the movie is packed with lots of people, no single character is really the main, but more like many great supporting. All the story was fantastic and well-written. My favorite was the one with Marv, he was soo great in the movie! Jessica Alba is HOT HOT HOT in this film. I was bummed that she didn't get more time on screen, but she was HOT. Mijo kicked major ass and so did Kevin, both we silence and awesome. I loved how the film was in black and white with color in certain places and always at times looked like a comic book. I was just blown away by this film. I was never really anticipating this film, but I will never regard watching this beautiful movie. I believe that this film will be in my top ten when the year is done.

A

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:25 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I dunno whether it's been said or not, but is it possible that Josh Hartnett was Dwight? Two loose ends in the movie were Hartnett and Owen's new face, coincidence?

Anyways, A+, for the first time since ROTK. It started off a bit slow, but once Mickey Rourke's story hit it was all badassawesome1337ness from there.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:44 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Dr. Lecter wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Well, I'll make it brief since I haven't had much sleep cause I went and saw this at 11:40 AM this morning, but it was Ok.. Simply Ok and I think alot of the problem I had with it was while the visuals were very stylish looking with the grays and other streaks of colors mixed in, it grew boring after around 45 Minutes and I kind of lost interest... I'd say Bruce Willis character's story was probably the best and the others were just Ok... I'd rate the violence factor up there with KILL BILL Vol 1, but KILL BILL impressed me alot more and made me have a whole new respect for female superheros like The Bride.. I'll give SIN CITY this much: It was one of the better comic to screen adaptation, at least on par with Spiderman, but While I don't think it's actually necessary that you have to read the comic SIN CITY to understand this movie, it does help.. One other thing that sort of shocked me was seeing a Mother bringing her 2 small children to this.. This definitely isn't a movie for small kids you dumb bitch...

Uhh....I didn't know you disliked Spider-Man that much :-k

Why do you say that?? :-k I loved SPIDERMAN and it's sequel and even though I compare SIN CITY to the 2 as far as quality translated to the screen, SIN CITY was far over the top violent obviously than SPIDERMAN and I think this movie and comic is an acquired taste.. The critics might praise this or hate it like the reviews suggest, but this is a movie that is clearly not for everyone, including SMALL CHILDREN like that dumb bitch brought to this..

Um...you said it is on par with Spider-Man as far as comic book adaptations go and you give it a C. A C is not a good grade, so I logically followed that you gave around the same grade to Spider-Man.

By the way, as it is obvious that Sin City won't drop under 60% at RT, can I dictate your sig?

Sorry but I don't see the problem with BKB's grade and comments and I guess then I disagree with Lecter here.

A C is an average grade not good - not bad.

A = Execellent / Great
B = Good
C = Average - not great / not bad
D = Bad
F = Horrible Failure

I think A to C are all respectable grades.

Yeah, I mean it was Ok.. Nothing more, nothing less.. Kind of reminded me a little of KILL BILL Vol 1, but KILL BILL was done better I think.. Perhaps if I weee more familiar with the comic SIN CITY, I would've better appreciated this more?? :-k

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:54 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

The best film of the year! I loved it. Great cast and an all out great time. A+

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:00 am

I'm torn. Though I love the look and feel of the film, I can't say I loved the actual film. There have been several movies lately that have experimented with the medium (Waking Life, Sky Captain, Toy Story). And though Sin City isn't a complete failure, something just doesn't feel right about it.

This film should have connected with me on every level, I fit perfectly into it's demographic. I love film noir, I love comic books, I love ultra-violence, and I love chicks with guns and knives (Can I keep Devon Aoki in one of my spare bedrooms? Maybe in a cage?)

Part of the problem for me lies in the story itself. The three chapters are wildly uneven and the dialogue, though purposely stilted, never grabbed me (outside of a random one liner).

A+ for effort
B- for the film

Yes, completely agree, especially about Devon Aoki :wink:

I say A+ for effort, C- for the film, most of that is poitns for the look and the techincal aspects of the film.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:28 pm
loyalfromlondon wrote:

A+ for effort
B- for the film

I say A+ for effort, C- for the film, most of that is poitns for the look and the techincal aspects of the film.

Though I enjoyed Rourke's chapter, it was Owen's chapter (the latter half of it to be specific) that saved the film from getting a much lower grade. Willis' chapter was more or less boring to me.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:40 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I dunno whether it's been said or not, but is it possible that Josh Hartnett was Dwight? Two loose ends in the movie were Hartnett and Owen's new face, coincidence?

You don't have coincidence in screenplays, writers build them in.

No they weren't the same person. Although the scene at the beginning could have happened any time the scene at the end of the film definately happened the same night that Dwight and Gail gunned down the police force. And I hardly think Dwight, at that point, would go to the trouble of changing his face back to the murderer.

Also, Dwight and Hartnett's character didn't really share the same personality. Hartnett was a lot more subtle and romantic.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

BKB, at the theatre I went to there was a whole family that came about 4 kids but soon fled after the nude scenes and the violence showed up. I guess they thought it would be like Spiderman. Idiots.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Flava'd wrote:

You don't have coincidence in screenplays, writers build them in.

No they weren't the same person. Although the scene at the beginning could have happened any time the scene at the end of the film definately happened the same night that Dwight and Gail gunned down the police force. And I hardly think Dwight, at that point, would go to the trouble of changing his face back to the murderer.

Also, Dwight and Hartnett's character didn't really share the same personality. Hartnett was a lot more subtle and romantic.

Heh. I was actually thinking the same thing (that Dwight and The Salesman were the same person). I made the same connection - the two loose ends were Dwight's old face and how the Salesman fit into the big picture of the film. Also, Dwight mentions in his story that if the police found out who he used to be, he'd be in the electric chair for sure. So, he had to be some sort of killer with his old face. I'm seeing it again at 4:30 today, so hopefully i'll have a better idea about this after a second viewing.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:47 pm

Ripper wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

A+ for effort
B- for the film

Though I enjoyed Rourke's chapter, it was Owen's chapter (the latter half of it to be specific) that saved the film from getting a much lower grade. Willis' chapter was more or less boring to me.

I thought the chidl Nancy was agood actor, but Jessica Alba, while great at dancing with a rope, was not so good as an actress in the film.

I feel the way about this film as I do about every other Robert Rodriguez film, technically very good, well filmed, with some great scenes but overall the film jsut falls flat and is quite boring at times. Their is this cool violence and such on the scnees, which normally I would excited baout it, but aside from Miho, I found alot of it just meh.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:22 pm
Extraordinary

It's like trying to decide which of the last three ograsms you've had was the best.

I'm sorry to hear you never have any outstanding orgasms...

:cry:

Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:19 pm
Squee

I have to admit, the first 10 minutes or so, I wasnt quite feeling the movie. The style seemed a bit off, and the monologueing didnt feel quite right either, but then it just all fell into place for me. Instead of seeming out of place, the monologueing drew me in, and the style caught my eye. The stories werent so bad either. You know, Im not so good at reviewing movies, so here's the list.

Mickey Rourke = Cool
Violence = Lots
Elijah Wood being the character he was = weird
Narrative = Awesome
Action = Great
Castrations = Wow! A lot!
Sotries = Pretty good
Style = Stylish
Movie = Great

:glare:

Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:08 pm
Extraordinary

Awesome, exhilarating, mesmerizing... so many adjectives to describe Sin City. I don't really have much to say but I think this one has a safe spot in my top 10 of the year.

- A

Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:47 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

BKB, at the theatre I went to there was a whole family that came about 4 kids but soon fled after the nude scenes and the violence showed up. I guess they thought it would be like Spiderman. Idiots.

I mean seriously, how could 1 have not deciphered the fact that the TV Commercials in no way showed this to be anything like SPIDERMAN??? :-k Did anyone even pay attention to this aspect or what??? I guess next weekend, we won't be seeing adults taking there kids to this huh?? :-k

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

To someone like me who is not familiar with Frank Miller or his graphic novels, Sin City came across not as a comic book come to life, but as a video game come to life. It reminded me a lot of Grand Theft Auto 3 and Max Payne -- not in literal content, but in mood, style and nuances. Of course those games might well have borrowed their style from Miller, that's possible, but I can only give my take as I saw it.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I actually agree with this right down to the best story being Bruce Willis'. I gave it a B- though, not from personal experience or it would have gotten a C+, but because I realize it set out to do exactly what it had planned to, which is depict the visual and narrative style of a comic series.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:16 am
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

I was expecting great things from Sin City, and I'm happy to say it delivered. Sin City has enough emotional depth to match its higly stylized comic book feel, and that alone will make it one of the best movies of the year. If that wasn't enough, the cast does a phenomenal job with the material, and helps it feel like a living, breathing comic book. I really can't say enough good things about it, so let me just shut up and give it an

A+

Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:29 pm
Profile WWW

BKB_The_Man wrote:

I actually agree with this right down to the best story being Bruce Willis'. I gave it a B- though, not from personal experience or it would have gotten a C+, but because I realize it set out to do exactly what it had planned to, which is depict the visual and narrative style of a comic series.

I feel the same way, though even though I agree it was successufl in what it wanted to do, I;d still give a C+, because it failed as a movie.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:48 pm
MISSING IN ACTION

To describe Sin City into 1 post would be impossible. Not only was the movie terrific on all levels, it was so groundbreaking. The storylines, the all most breath taking visuals, and most of all, the emotion each character sets is by far, one of the best I've seen in any film. There was no story I did not like, amd the action was pulled straight out of a fanboy's wetdream.

The Hard Goodbye: This had the best story of the three. The emotion that Rourke(sp?) sets in, is amazing. The genius of making a strong, presumebly evil character fall in love, then to kill that character is absolutely amazing. His revenge rampage is cold, heartless, and highly original. And Eliah Wood's character is not only extremely evil, his character is the definition of "cool"
Grade: A+

The Big Fat Kill: The weakest story of the 3, but the best action in my opinion. Clive Owen gives us another terrific performance. The way everyone was killed, and the fact that you did not expect it was terrific. And what was up with the talking dead head? :razz: Loved the action in this story, and that asian girl made it even better.
Grade: A-

That Yellow Bastard: This was not the best story, but not the worst story. Jessica Alba is beyond words, and her acting is the best I have ever seen. Although I think the story went on a little long, it was a good story over all, and I feel that it was a fitting end to a terrific movie
Grade: A

OVER ALL MOVIE GRADE: A

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

The best movie of the year so far. Sin City is the ambitious, lavish and imaginative comic book film ever committed to film. Pictures such as What Dreams May Come and Dark City have astounded me before with their visual "eye candy". Sin City puts anything previously like that to shame; I have never seen a more wonderful-looking film. Sin City is predominantly in black-and-white but contains flashes of color throughout. I'm guessing the MPAA was glad for this, because this would've struggled to get an R rating if the more violent scenes were in color. This was a *very violent* movie. Many people have argued this film has style over substance, which is primarily true. However, that's just a testament to the style itself, as all three segments are energetic, entertaining, well-written, well-acted, etc. I'll do a brief review for each segment:

The Hard Goodbye
Probably my favorite segment of the three. As the wisecracking, ugly Marv, Mickey Rourke (I can't believe I'm saying this; Mickey Rourke?!) was a complete hoot. His actions are somehow believable as we watch him get revenge on the person(s) responsible for the death of his recently-met lover, Goldie. Carla Gugino (Marv's lesbian parole officer) and Jaime King (Goldie/Goldie's twin sister) are on hand to bare their breasts and look fierce. Elijah Wood, despite having no lines, is really, really creepy as Kevin, a cannibalistic, mute killer with odd glasses. The scene where he is tortured just gave me the willies. You'll know when you see it. Anyway, this segment sends Sin City off in a booming start.

The Big Fat Kill
Clive Owen is solid as Dwight, who helps to try to hide the body of Jack (Benicio Del Toro), a skeezy cop who has entered Basin City's old town to purchase a hooker, when the hookers all team up to kill him before they realize he's a cop. This promises to ruin the truce between Basin City's police and the prostitutes. Rosario Dawson is terrific as Gail, Dwight's sometimes girlfriend and leader of the prostitutes. Alexis Bledel is fine, and Devon Aoki (another mute character) gets to kick a lot of ass and split people in half with swords. Brittany Murphy is also good in her role, but it's a somewhat small part.

That Yellow Bastard
Capping off the strong leads of all segments, Bruce Willis is very good as Hartigan, a cop framed for the attempted rape of young Nancy by a senator's son, Roark (Nick Stahl). While sitting in jail, Hartigan realizes Nancy (now a grown-up stripper, as played by Jessica Alba) might be in trouble since she has stopped writing to him in jail. He eventually gets out and goes to look for her. Eventually, "The Yellow Bastard" tracks down Nancy and Hartigan, and we discover that he is actually a deformed version of Roark, who was an experiment gone wrong when attempting to restore the (ouch) testicles Hartigan shot off years earlier. Jessica Alba gives a solid performance as a stripper who doesn't show any skin, while Nick Stahl is suitably hideous as The Yellow Bastard.

Great. A

Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:17 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Thank you, Libs, much appreciated! Awesome review! :2up:

Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:41 pm
Veteran

Stylish and entertaining. Loved the first and the third acts. The second act feels out of place.

A

Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Just saw the movie yesterday.

What a disgusting movie. However, I can't deny it moved me and I love it in some ways.

Spoilers-

I don't have much to state other than to comment on the faults and flaws of the movie. I felt like the whole Yellow Bastard story line made no sense. Why does Madison's character shoot Willis' character, but let him live? Why don't they just abduct Nancy when she is eleven? Why do Willis and Madison and Yellow Bastard's henchmen not age in 8 years, but Yellow Bastard looks like he has aged 30 years? I didn't understand the fact that Kevin was just reading on the porch, wouldn't he have liked to get in on the Jessica Alba action? I assume the finger sent in prison was one of his hooker lunches (or Lucille's but that seems to have happened later), so there was some cooperation between Kevin and Yellow Bastard. Also the fact during the Long Good-bye you know Nancy is ok, because Marv takes Wendy to him before he goes after Cardinal Roark. So that took away some of the suspense. The other thing that really bothered me is that Bruce Willis is supposed to be pushing 60 in the beginning of the story so he is at least 65 when he gets out. He doesn't look like any 65 yo ex-cop I have ever seen.

Otherwise a great movie all the actors gave A performances, Mickey Rourk, Clive Owen, Rosario Dawson, Britney Murphy, Elijah Wood, and Benicio Del Toro gave A+ performances. There are some scenes that beautifully captured that out of this world nightmare surrealism of great comics, especially Marv's death scene and Kevin's death scene.

End of Spoilers-

Miss Rand created the fictitious Roark based on the artistic principle of what men "might be and ought to be" -- meaning individualist like him -- Christopher Columbus, Galileo, Thomas Jefferson, Frank Lloyd Wright, Bill Gates -- can and do exist. Roark embodies what she coined the benevolent universe premise, "the conviction that joy, exaltation, beauty, greatness, heroism, all the supreme, uplifting values of man's existence on earth, are the meaning of life -- not the pain or ugliness he may encounter."

http://theai.net/passion.html

Was Cardinal Roark's name Howard Roark? I thought when Marv went to his statue he said his name was Howard Roark. Did I miss hear? Anyways the scene reminded me of the Fountainhead and the main character in the movie as in the book was Howard Roark. I tried to read the book, but it made me sick. I have seen parts of the Fountainhead movie and for some reason that scene reminded me of the Fountainhead. Was Miller critiquing Rand's superman philosophy: to allow powerful/great men the freedom of no constraints? It seems to me the Roark family is the embodiement of that philosophy gone berzerk, leading to destruction for themselves and misery for the society they supposedly serve. To me it seemed like Miller was implying with this movie that everyone needs to be held accountable or we end up in Sin City.

Awesome movie: A/A-

Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next