Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Sin City 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 44 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 68

Sin City 
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Dr. Lecter wrote:
By the way, as it is obvious that Sin City won't drop under 60% at RT, can I dictate your sig?

I seem to recall being in line first to do that. :razz:

Be gentle.. :mrgreen: In 2 weeks when Amityville comes out, I will get even.. :twisted:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

There is nothing wrong with a Grade of "C" for SIN CITY and my comparing this to SPIDERMAN was out of the Quality translated to the screen, not the content of the story which is obviously an acquired taste.. Your either going to like SIN CITY or Hate it as the review suggest.. Also, Maverikk gets signature crack 1st.. :wink:

Well, a C suggests mediocrity...

By the way, BKB, one thing I wanted to ask you for a while. What's your all-time favorite movie?

So, I guess, Mav gets give you a sig for two weeks and then me for another two weeks :D

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

It was only "ok". The visuals were good, but after an hour or so they lost all of their novelty. Not the best comic book adaption in recent years, but its not the worst either.

6.5/10 (B)

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:45 pm
Superman: The Movie

The film is about as great as I expected it to be, but it wasn't as gory as I thought it was going to be (Obviously the gore seemed toned down because of the black and white usage). That's not a bad thing though.

The thing that I liked about the movie was that there was not one standout star. Everyone seemed to be in a supporting role here. For instance from the previews, Jessica Alba seemed to be in the film a lot, but really she only has about 20 minutes or so of screen time.

The stories are interesting, and the look of the film is fantastic. Out of the three stories, I would say the Dwight/Gail one was the best out of the three.

Great film.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

BJs Review: The Film was totaly outstanding. I went into the theater with high expectations that were all met. I loved every performance there was not one faulty actor/actress within the whole movie, everyone was top notch. My favorite story was The Hard Goodbye. Mickey Rourke was awesome, he displayed what I felt was the best acting in the whole movie along with the rest of the cast in his story.

The Style of this film was the best I have seen all year, maybe the best i have seen ever. It was topo notch nothing failed to impress me within each sceen. It was all very breathtaking because it was so perfect. I liked how each of the main characters narrated there part, it just made everything seem even better. The gory factor if this film I feel was blown a bit out of proportion, it was not realy all that bad, a lot like kill bill infact. Overall the best film of 05 so far as I expected it to be. :cool:

The Hard Goodbye: A+ / best and most interesting story of the three, with some of the best acting as well.

The Big Fat Kill: A / The weakest of the three but still highly entertaining.

That Yellow Bastard: A+ / Totaly awesome story though not as good as The Hard Goodbye is was still great, Willis displayed one of his best performances EVER, and Alba suprised me with her great performance. The Yellow Bastard himself was great.

BJs Grade:

A+

:wink:

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Mickey Rourke OWNED this movie. All three stories were great, but the one with Marv and Goldie is where the emotion was and that made it the best for me. Orgasmic visuals that will take multiple viewings to appreciate, killer music, brutal and often comic violence, great characters and Elijah Wood as a kungfu-cannibal with a snazzy sweater. Seriously, what more could you ask for in a movie?

:pop: :budo: :gun:

Kudos to those involved

A great big A for Sin City.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Miruvor wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
... One other thing that sort of shocked me was seeing a Mother bringing her 2 small children to this.. This definitely isn't a movie for small kids you dumb bitch...

Image Image

You know, that's true!! It almost always amazes me when parents bring their little ones to an adult themed flick. Get a child sitter or wait to watch the movie at a more convenient time when you don't have to subject your children to things that may rupture their developing psyche. Then we wonder why many of the youth today are so mental. *sigh* :roll:

yeah seeing some parents bringing there 4 to even 14 year olds realy amazed me as well, this is definately not the tipe of film for kids around 1-14 to be seeing. Bleh crazy parents [-X

What amazes me is that if it gets an R18 rating in New Zealand I, being 17.5, can't see it with or without parents. I own plenty of R18 DVDs (which I managed to buy myself because the music/DVD store I normally go to doesn't care how old I am, which rocks) but I will have to wait until the DVD release to see it despite prior exposure to R18s, the maturity to deal with it, and despite 4 year-olds watching it in America.

*Considers getting fake ID just for this one movie*

*Considers armed takeover of New Zealand ratings board*

*Considers myself too lazy to do either*

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was absolutely fantastic. A must-see!

9/10 (A)

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:12 am
Profile YIM
Award Winning Bastard

Maverikk wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
By the way, as it is obvious that Sin City won't drop under 60% at RT, can I dictate your sig?

I seem to recall being in line first to do that. :razz:

Be gentle.. :mrgreen: In 2 weeks when Amityville comes out, I will get even.. :twisted:

I'll be gentle, BKB. Give me 24 hours to come up with something special for you. :-k

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:41 am
Teenage Dream

I'm at a loss for words right now. Easily the best film of the year. Probably one of my favorite films of all time. I'm seeing it again on Sunday, and i'll know for sure. I'll write a full review later, but just know that there will not be a better film released this year. Period.

A+. Flawless filmmaking. Like I said, full review later. I just need to soak it in.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:36 am
Award Winning Bastard

Was anybody else really impressed with Jessica Alba? I'm not talking about the fact that she is just such a good looking woman it makes grown men cry, but by the range of emotion she showed in her performance.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:59 am
College Boy T

Was anybody else really impressed with Jessica Alba? I'm not talking about the fact that she is just such a good looking woman it makes grown men cry, but by the range of emotion she showed in her performance.

Jessica Alba? Good!? You're just trying to rationalize your hype for FF4 by complimenting her :razz:

Heh. She isn't that bad.

I hope to see this tomorrow.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:05 am
Killing With Kindness

She was awesome. Her performance totaly blew me away it was the best I have ever seen her perform her acting skills, she nearly topped Willis. Your right her range of acting was stretched further than it had ever been before, and she rocked at it :cool:

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:18 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

FUCKING A+ :D it's too cool for words, you mofo's gotta see it for yourselves.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:25 am
Extraordinary

Loved the super stylish, post millenium, amped up, graphic flash and ooze. Definite re-viewing value here. Overall the terrifically dark storyline had one sequence too many for my liking, though I don't know which one I'd pull, the whole thing woulda been a lot stronger if it were 20 minutes shorter...

4 out of 5.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:29 am
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I give it a solid A... It was a terrific movie with a great style. It was the first movie to really wow me in a long time and would easily be in my top movies of all time. Really fun to watch. I especially loved the story with Marv (Mickey Rourke).

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:32 am
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

A dark story, darkly told.

Loved the super stylish, post millenium, amped up, graphic flash and ooze. Definite re-viewing value here. Overall the terrifically dark storyline had one sequence too many for my liking, though I don't know which one I'd pull, the whole thing woulda been a lot stronger if it were 20 minutes shorter...

4 out of 5.

I know what you mean about the length... It did feel a slight bit long for the type of movie. The ultra violence started to lose it's impact after about 3/4 of the way through. But again, overall I really loved it and that was a very minor complaint on my end.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:34 am
College Boy Z

I'm at a loss of words. And, I'm not exaggerating, either. Sin City is, by far, one of the bloodiest, coolest movies I've ever seen. Everything about the movie is just pitch-perfect. The style of the movie definently won me over. I loved the black and white with the blotches of color mixed in. I loved the dark feel to it. I loved how there were three different stories in the movie, though all tied with each other in some aspects. Brilliant film making. Sin City displayed some of the best action movies I've ever witnessed. This was Kill Bill x 10. The performances were unforgettable. Willis was excellent. Mickey Rourke was the stand out performance of the movie. Loved his entire role. The Hard Goodbye kicked so much ass. Jessica, oh... Jessica. A beauty with some great skills, and a nice body to back it up. Makes me want to drool on my keyboard (anyone got a towel?). There's just too much to say about Sin City and it can't all be explained in a little review. it's a fantastic movie, and easily the best of 2005 thus far. A

Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:16 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

BKB_The_Man wrote:
There is nothing wrong with a Grade of "C" for SIN CITY and my comparing this to SPIDERMAN was out of the Quality translated to the screen, not the content of the story which is obviously an acquired taste.. Your either going to like SIN CITY or Hate it as the review suggest.. Also, Maverikk gets signature crack 1st.. :wink:

Well, a C suggests mediocrity...

By the way, BKB, one thing I wanted to ask you for a while. What's your all-time favorite movie?

So, I guess, Mav gets give you a sig for two weeks and then me for another two weeks :D

1st Mav, then you..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:16 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

bradley witherberry wrote:

4 out of 5.

I know what you mean about the length... It did feel a slight bit long for the type of movie. The ultra violence started to lose it's impact after about 3/4 of the way through. But again, overall I really loved it and that was a very minor complaint on my end.

I honestly didin't feel the length of the film at all. Actually, I wanted it to keep going. I was ready for three or four more stories. The film felt like it was twenty minutes long, if that.

Also, I don't get the people that are saying one story was better than the other. I seriously can't pick one as a superior piece. It's like trying to decide which of the last three ograsms you've had was the best.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:24 am
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

TonyMontana wrote:
bradley witherberry wrote:

4 out of 5.

I honestly didin't feel the length of the film at all. Actually, I wanted it to keep going. I was ready for three or four more stories. The film felt like it was twenty minutes long, if that.

Also, I don't get the people that are saying one story was better than the other. I seriously can't pick one as a superior piece. It's like trying to decide which of the last three ograsms you've had was the best.

I loved all 3 stories, but the Marv one was extra special for me. I was laughing my ass off at that one... Rourke was awesome as Marv. The length issue for me was an extremely small one. When it ended the Clive Owen one and went back to Bruce Willis, for the first few moments of that one I thought the movie lost some of it's momentum, but it picked up great by the end of that one. Again, it's easily one of my top movies of all time, and I can find 400 things I loved for every one thing I could nitpick about.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:43 am
Forum General

SIN CITY was definetely one of my most anticipated films of 2005, when I found out it was coming out so early in the year, I was pumped! With awesome trailers and TV spots, how could a film like this suck? Then the buzz ... wow ... the buzz surrounding this was amazing! Everybody was talking about it. The cast is another thing it has going for it, Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson, Elijah Wood, Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Benicio Del Toro, Brittany Murphy, Nick Stahl, and of course Mickey Rourke. It was really a cast for the adult crowd, but also had people that teens would be interested in as well. The film itself was amazing. While it wasn't as "terrible" content wise as I've heard, I wasn't disappointed at all. Sure it was gory and all, but it was so over the top, I never really realised how bad it was, and the nudity was only in the first twenty minutes. It definetely deserves the R rating it got, and it's a hard one at that, but I wouldn't have a problem with my 14 year old seeing it. The acting is amazing, and it's one of the most beautiful looking movies of 2005 so far. SIN CITY is definetely a movie that'll be on my top 15 of 2005 by the end of the year!

9/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

For everything I'm about to say about Sin City below, I at least respect the fact that films like this are being made.

Sin City is an absolute mess. Sin City shows that when you translate comic to screen something is lost in translation, and without a slight bit of adaptation it absolutely falls flat.

The biggest problem with the film is pacing and the fact that it's split up stories (if Jackson ever needed confirmation that he made the right choice not splitting up Lord of the Rings by storyline, it's here). With a slight touch of adaptation, we could see Marv and Hartigan pulling together at the farm to dispose of the bad guys, with a slight touch of adaptation, we could have all three story lines meet at the center, which is apparently the senator, and have the story at least have some sort of coherence.

The thing that sticks out hardest, is the Clive Owen section of the film. After the heavy opening with both quality performances by Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis we are subjected to this farce starting good actors performing in silly ways. This story, is in no way directed with the care and style of the "Yellow Bastard" and the "Goodbye" sections of the film.

From an editor's perspective, by the time the IRA got involved, the film had lost any ground that the otherwise great "Long Goodbye" (or Hard Goodbye?) sections of the film. It reaked, extended the film, and was mearly a fluff piece to make "Sin City" seem more interesting than what it was. But the fact is the movie died whenever it was pulled away from Marv, Hartigan and Nancy.

As for the Hartigan section, it was fantastic except the parts with the actual yellow bastard son guy. It leads me to conclude the following thing:

If this film is a direct adaptation of the graphic novels (and by all accounts, this may be the most closely adapted comic films of all time) then, the comic must not be as great as everyone says it is.

I'm so disappointed with the whole middle part of this movie that I'm actually being angry around this house this afternoon.. I really wanted to like this one, in the way which I want to like any cinema that really tries hard to do something unique. And Sin City is unique. It just can't find a way to completely function on screen.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
For everything I'm about to say about Sin City below, I at least respect the fact that films like this are being made.

Sin City is an absolute mess. Sin City shows that when you translate comic to screen something is lost in translation, and without a slight bit of adaptation it absolutely falls flat.

The biggest problem with the film is pacing and the fact that it's split up stories (if Jackson ever needed confirmation that he made the right choice not splitting up Lord of the Rings by storyline, it's here). With a slight touch of adaptation, we could see Marv and Hartigan pulling together at the farm to dispose of the bad guys, with a slight touch of adaptation, we could have all three story lines meet at the center, which is apparently the senator, and have the story at least have some sort of coherence.

The thing that sticks out hardest, is the Clive Owen section of the film. After the heavy opening with both quality performances by Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis we are subjected to this farce starting good actors performing in silly ways. This story, is in no way directed with the care and style of the "Yellow Bastard" and the "Goodbye" sections of the film.

From an editor's perspective, by the time the IRA got involved, the film had lost any ground that the otherwise great "Long Goodbye" (or Hard Goodbye?) sections of the film. It reaked, extended the film, and was mearly a fluff piece to make "Sin City" seem more interesting than what it was. But the fact is the movie died whenever it was pulled away from Marv, Hartigan and Nancy.

As for the Hartigan section, it was fantastic except the parts with the actual yellow bastard son guy. It leads me to conclude the following thing:

If this film is a direct adaptation of the graphic novels (and by all accounts, this may be the most closely adapted comic films of all time) then, the comic must not be as great as everyone says it is.

I'm so disappointed with the whole middle part of this movie that I'm actually being angry around this house this afternoon.. I really wanted to like this one, in the way which I want to like any cinema that really tries hard to do something unique. And Sin City is unique. It just can't find a way to completely function on screen.

And Goldie/Wendy. Thought Jamie King was stunning with a sexy body - loved the use of the red - especially the flashback scene with the blood.

Also on another topic - didn't that Kung-FU girl belong in Kill Bill.

What did everyone think of her - did you like her?

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Amazing and very stylish. I rarely talked about this movie and I wasnt that much hyped for it either so the movie went beyond my expectations. I didnt even recognize that Mickey Rourke was in full makeup in the first segment of the movie. To make a long story short, Im glad the movie was long, and quite violent and gory too, I guess Robert Rodriguez does it again and made another movie I loved (Desperaldo, Dusk Till Dawn, Once Upon a Time). The best performances were from Mickey Rourke and Nick Stahl who I recognize from the series Carnivale. Im not sure if I should give it an A+ but a solid A will do for it right now

I highly recommend the movie

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next