Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Another Year 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Another Year 
loyalfromlondon

Post Another Year
Another Year

Quote:
Another Year is a 2010 British drama film written and directed by Mike Leigh. It premiered at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival in competition for the Palme d'Or. It played at the 54th London Film Festival before its general UK release date on 5 November 2010.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:16 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Another Year
Another Year is a another strong entry from director Mike Leigh. The script works well, dividing up over four seasons in the life of an older married couple. Each character they interact with has some form of unhappiness whether it be problems with alcohol, the hurt of being single, or losing a loved one. Each story comes together perfectly and with top performances make an impressive mark. Jim Broadbent and Ruth Sheen have great chemistry together on screen whereas David Bradley has a noticeable supporting role. However, Lesley Manville steals the show and offers an award-winning performance. She is able to keep a perfect balance of someone who needs help but also one who you just want to get away and deal with their problems on their own. The only downfall this film may have is some scenes drag on a little bit too long. That is the one bit of the film where audiences may have trouble but if they can stay along the ride with some long scenes, that are helped with a good bit of humor, then they'll find joy in this great piece of work. ***1/2

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Another Year felt like four episodes in the middle of a British television series.

Although it portrayed the rare dynamic of a blissful couple supporting their tragically single ( :( ) friends and family, and it was told refreshingly straight, it just failed to ignite like so many of Mike Leigh's films have before.

The actors are exemplary, the individual scenes superb in their emotional accuracy, but the screenplay fizzles out of steam and jolts to a halt.

I was entertained for the two and a quarter hours, but expected much, much more.

3 out of 5.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:16 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
First I wanted to strangle Mary, then I just wanted to drown her. The lack of subtlety really annoyed me. 5/10.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:12 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

You heartless bastard. :P

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:15 am
The Wall

8/10 -> B

A week after seeing Allen's latest You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, I saw Another Year. Both movies share some similar themes, but when one fails (YWMATDS) the other one (AY) completely succeeds.

This one is not an easy movie. Mostly because it has a lot of fat that needed to be trimmed. It could've (and should've) been much better paced which would result in a tighter movie. But even as it is, it's still pretty good.

The characters are what make this movie. The whole cast is pretty damn impressive. This is only my second Leigh movie (after a brilliant Happy-Go-Lucky), but I'll definitely check out his previous work now.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

be.redy wrote:
(AY) completely succeeds.

This one is not an easy movie. Mostly because it has a lot of fat that needed to be trimmed. It could've (and should've) been much better paced which would result in a tighter movie. But even as it is, it's still pretty good.

That is a very odd definition of a movie that "completely succeeds".

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:52 am
The Wall

LOL. I was commenting that AY succeeds on the plot points it shares with YWMATDS. I never said (and it's very obvious I don't think) it completely succeeds as a wholesome movie.

Bradley, try misusing quote feature better next time.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]