Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 13 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 14 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 31

You must have big rats

Post Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 is a 2010 fantasy film directed by David Yates and the first of two films based on the novel of the same name by J. K. Rowling. It is the seventh instalment in the Harry Potter film series, written by Steve Kloves and produced by David Heyman, David Barron and Rowling. The story follows Harry Potter on a quest to find and destroy Lord Voldemort's secret to immortality – the Horcruxes. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, alongside Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as Harry's best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. The supporting cast features Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter, and Alan Rickman.

Principal photography began on 19 February 2009 and was completed on 12 June 2010. Part 1 was released in 2D cinemas and IMAX formats worldwide on 19 November 2010.

In its opening weekend, Part 1 grossed $330 million, the third highest in the series, and the highest opening of 2010, as well as the sixth-highest of all-time. With a worldwide gross of $954 million, Part 1 is the third-highest grossing film of 2010, behind Toy Story 3 and Alice in Wonderland. It is the second highest grossing Harry Potter film in terms of worldwide totals behind Philosopher's Stone, the 11th highest-grossing film of all-time, and the second film in the series to reach $950 million worldwide.

The concluding film in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, is set to be released on 15 July 2011.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part I
Honestly, I was surprised by how much I liked this. It was probably the best since Goblet of Fire, maybe even my favorite overall. Though I'll leave that judgement until my second viewing.

Despite a few "empty" moments in the middle of the film it feels like the most action-packed of the series so far. Can't wait for the final film.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I can't elaborate too much on my cell phone, but I saw this on Monday and loved it. Neck and neck with Azkaban as my favorite of the bunch.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:17 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The best film in the series so far. SO incredible.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:51 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

I gave it a B+ for now. I'm a huge fan of the books and have liked, not loved, most of the movies. This is on the high end of quality for the movies though, and may deserve an A-. I'll reserve that though until I see how it holds up on a second viewing. I was impressed by how fast the movie went by. I was expecting another half hour when it ended. I'm fine with the ending, just thought they'd end it a bit later on in the story.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:11 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I would give it an A- after a first viewing. I thought it was a great film and captured the book perfectly. I didn't mind the ending either and thought it sets up the next one, but now I need to sleep.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Just saw it in IMAX. Pretty true to the book, meaning it was quite dark (as it should be) without too much humor. A few scenes went by too fast in my opinion, such as the initial flight from the Dursleys. I would have liked that battle to last a bit longer... instead it was kind of confusing.

The whole "Harry and Hiermione go Camping" section didnt seem to go on forever like it did in the book but it still seemed to go on for a bit... I'm not sure what I might have done to shorten it, though.

It ended well at an appropriate place.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 seems to be the correct adaptation everyone has been waiting for. Though the other films could convey their messages well enough, the newest adventure feels the richest and most faithful to the book. The split into two parts is a smart one, even though the cliffhanger is frustrating just due to the fact that you are not ready to leave yet. The actors sure have grown up a lot and all three put out fantastic performances with Emma Watson standing out. The action is spot-on but the film also finds time to add in a lot of sweet and funny humor. The second act, which has been criticized for dragging, does not drag and adds more to the film's richness. It's sad to think that this series will end in eight months but it is also all the more agonizing to wait that long to catch the end of this amazing film. This is possibly best of the year and for now 100 films down for the year, that is quite an achievement. ****

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Awesome movie. A-. I'm reserving my A+ for Part 2, which, if it was made with as much care and detail as Part 1, will be AMAZING.

I didn't miss any of the things that were cut, and I'm impressed with how well they tied everything in that had been dropped from previous films without making it feel extraneous.

Can't wait to go see this again! (especially to see my Snape again... god, I can't wait for Part 2 so there can be more of him!)

Oh, and Rupert Grint was AMAZING in this film. The argument between Ron and Harry was brilliantly acted.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

After digesting it for a while, here are some of my thoughts.

The Good:
-For the most part, the attempts at humor worked well to balance out the dark mood of the movie.
-The acting was great from the leads. When the series started, I thought Emma Watson was by far the best of the 3, followed by Rupert then Daniel. Daniel has made up a lot of ground on those two, but is still the weakest actor of the 3. Surprisingly, Rupert and Emma are very close now. I was impressed by both in this movie.
-I loved the return of Dobby, though I wish they had kept him involved in previous movies, it would have made the climax of this movie even better.
-The Harry/Hermione coming out the Horcrux scene may have been a bit too much for some people, but with the actors older now, I thought it needed to be that intense and was very well done.
-The animation of the story Hermione reads describing the Deathly Hallows was AWESOME.
-I loved where they ended the movie. Made me want more right now.

The Bad:
-Though I love him in the Underworld movies, Bill Nighy didn't impress me as the new Minister of Magic. Especially the opening speech. It's a small part, so the impact is minimal though.
-The Harry?Hermione dancing scene was just all wrong. I understand what they were trying to do, but it came across as kind of lame. Their scene with the conjured birds in Half-Blood Prince was way better.

That's all for now. A lot more positive than negative, so I'm starting to think A-. I'll see it again sometime in the next week.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

jmovies wrote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 seems to be the correct adaptation everyone has been waiting for. Though the other films could convey their messages well enough, the newest adventure feels the richest and most faithful to the book. The split into two parts is a smart one, even though the cliffhanger is frustrating just due to the fact that you are not ready to leave yet. The actors sure have grown up a lot and all three put out fantastic performances with Emma Watson standing out. The action is spot-on but the film also finds time to add in a lot of sweet and funny humor. The second act, which has been criticized for dragging, does not drag and adds more to the film's richness. It's sad to think that this series will end in eight months but it is also all the more agonizing to wait that long to catch the end of this amazing film. This is possibly best of the year and for now 100 films down for the year, that is quite an achievement. ****

:tears:

Thank heavens, God, Yates, the trio, the producers and everyone else because this was so good. The HBP-DH1/2 trilogy is as epic as any and to think I was cursing when Phoenix had ended how the series would suck. To be older and feel nostalgia's keen sting. :(

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Harry/Hermione dancing scene may be my favorite of the series. So utterly perfect.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:15 am
Cream of the Crop

I'm glad that they managed to pull off the dancing scene where it makes it obvious it's just Harry trying to cheer up his friend, nothing more.

BTW, what song was that, 'cause I really liked it.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:49 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A-/A

damn good potter flick yo, 2nd favorite to goblet of fire yo, but the film is clearly the best in overall production yo, best acting yo, best adaption yo, completely amazing quality film making yo. go watch it yo.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:40 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

A-

Best Potter in the series. The Deathly Hallows animation was..... EPIC

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:00 am
Pure Phase

tina_als_girl wrote:
BTW, what song was that...

"O Children" by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:41 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

The tale of the Three Brothers was very good.

Maybe I need a second viewing, but I really did not notice the score, which is quite noticeable in previous films. Ron's face seems dirty, like with soot, in almost all of his scenes.

I enjoyed the film, but then again I like all of the films, at least to a degree.

Although it will never happen, I would like to see Emma Watson get a nomination or two for an acting award.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The end is here. Almost. Returning for his third "Potter" adventure, director David Yates fashions an atmospheric, at times exciting, at times long-winded film. I for one have never been fond of the decision to split J. K. Rowling's saga-concluding tome into two films, and I still maintain it could have, in discerning, intelligent hands, been adapted into a single, elegant, for-the-ages motion picture. But I digress; the financial decision was made, and now parts 1 and 2 must be regarded as individual films. Part 1 is, of course, long on explanation, explanation, explanation (to the film's detriment), though several character beats are given breathing room they may not have in a single, three-hour film.

The core trio of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson have never been better. It has been a pleasure watching them grow as actors over the last decade. Watson in particular has become a major talent. Watch her in the scene where Hermione erases herself from her parent's memories; her portait of despair and determination is devastating. The adult cast, however, are M.I.A. for most of Part 1. They are seen, but few have much to do. Best is Imelda Staunton, who continues to nail the role of Dolores Umbridge, the "sweet," yet sadistic and power-mad bureaucrat. She, alas, is a more intimidating presence than Ralph Fiennes' Lord Voldemort. A few new faces leave small, but commendable impressions. Peter Mullan is sinister and smooth as a minor Death Eater, and it's nice to see David O'Hara (so engaging and fierce as Henry Howard on The Tudors) in a small, fun role as a man Potter transforms into (with Polyjuice Potion) to get close to Umbridge.

Behind the camera, David Yates is still no Alfonso Cuarón, but he has improved. It's clear he has a good relationship with the key cast members, and he draws strong performances from them. He and editor Mark Day at times over-cut the action to the point of distraction (a forest chase scene suffers in particular), but there is at least one undeniable great sequence, the one in which the trio infiltrate the Ministry of Magic. The blend of humor and suspense in this extended passage is just right. In an inspired move, Yates also includes a gorgeous animated sequence to explain Series MacGuffin #575, the titular Hallows.

As usual for this franchise, most of the technical craftsmanship is astounding. No one will complain if cinematographer Eduardo Serra and/or production designer Stuart Craig receive awards for their unblemished contributions. The brilliant composer Alexandre Desplat, scoring his first "Potter" film, is also in top form.

Overall, this is a good film, the second or third best "Potter" to date. There are flaws (people who haven't read the novels better be quick studies), but nothing too debilitating. I left satisfied. Six-point-five down, one point-five to go!

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:06 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Only thing I am confused about having never read the books is how did Dumbledore get a hold of that wand??? And do we know based on the movie what happened to the stone of resurrection and cloak of invinsibility? or is that for part 2?

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:48 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Mr. Reynolds wrote:
Only thing I am confused about having never read the books is how did Dumbledore get a hold of that wand??? And do we know based on the movie what happened to the stone of resurrection and cloak of invinsibility? or is that for part 2?

Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald in combat and became the owner of the wand. I assume the next movie will do some more explaining about this event, otherwise they will have cut out a lot of Dumbledore's backstory.

The other two items will play roles in the next film--or at least they did in the book and I don't see the point in mentioning them unless they will be present.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's a bit strange that they didn't address the Cloak of Invisibility right away since, well...

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:35 pm
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
It's a bit strange that they didn't address the Cloak of Invisibility right away since, well...

It could get mentioned in the next movie. The wand was hinted at with the scene with the older Grindelwald. He told Voldemort Dumbledore took it.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Easily my favorite of the HP movies - and the only one I'd call 'great'

I think my problems with the last batch was the dark tone and Hogwarts didn't sit right. The lighter tone of the first two movies is what I always envisioned it as. So the last batch of movies always felt dead to me, like they sucked the life out of it

Having them out in the 'real world', finally made adult Potter work for me. It also helps that it's by far the best acted and while the last two movies were suffocatingly angsty, this one had just enough comic relief and lightening moments

It's also the first Potter movie that didn't feel overwhelmingly tied to getting through the plot points... probably cause they had more time. The strength of the movie is Harry/Hermoine/Ron's interactions... I don't think I could say that about the last handful. They finally felt like PEOPLE, not plot delivery devices.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:42 pm
You must have big rats

Shack wrote:
Easily my favorite of the HP movies - and the only one I'd call 'great'

I think my problems with the last batch was the dark tone and Hogwarts didn't sit right. The lighter tone of the first two movies is what I always envisioned it as. So the last batch of movies always felt dead to me, like they sucked the life out of it

Well, just as a matter of fact....tjhe books from the third on did not have much of a light tone to them and that sure as hell would have not suited the films.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Quite good, and right up there with Goblet of Fire as my favorite of the series. Parts of it even reminded me some Lord of the Ring, which none of the previous ones did. I like the dark tones and the occasional humors mixed in.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next