Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Paranormal Activity 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Paranormal Activity 2 
loyalfromlondon

Post Paranormal Activity 2
Paranormal Activity 2

Quote:
Paranormal Activity 2 is a 2010 American supernatural horror film directed by Tod Williams and written by Michael R. Perry. The film is a parallel prequel to the 2007 film Paranormal Activity, beginning two months before and following up with the events depicted in the original film. It was released in theaters at midnight on October 22, 2010 in the United States, Mexico, Poland, Ireland, the United Kingdom, and Canada.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:14 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Paranormal Activity 2
A-

Not quite as scary as the first -- while the jumps are there, the sense of building dread is largely absent -- but that doesn't stop it from being pretty damn awesome. Well-paced, great scares (kitchen for the win), and an ending that's total coolness even if it's easy to figure out the second a late second act plot twist is introduced to deal with the demon.

Very worthy sequel, and I can't wait for Paranormal Activity 3.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:12 am
Pure Phase

Is this a prequel?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:26 am
Extraordinary

Gunslinger wrote:
Is this a prequel?

It's a prequel and a sequel.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:39 am
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Is this a prequel?

It's a prequel and a sequel.

It slices, it dices.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 am
Forum General

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 - 8/10 (B+)
While it definitely isn't as good or scary as the first (though my boyfriend thought the sequel was better) it was still a blast to watch. The first hour or so was good, but very slow. Slower than anything that was in the first PARANORMAL flick, but it did have enough creepy moments to keep you entertained. The cupboard scene made me scream. :P Once all hell starts to break loose (and believe me, it really fucking does), it turns into a pretty scary flick. There were multiple times that I screamed and jumped in the last half hour of the movie and it was a BLAST to watch. I did have a few problems with it though...

The new characters weren't as fun as Katie or Micah. The father was very more annoying than Micah was in the first film. While he wasn't taunting the demon like Micah, he didn't believe in anything at all, even when there was proof that something was happening (like the part where the daughter got locked out of the house. HELLO, it wasn't the wind you idiot :p).

I also wasn't a huge fan of the multiple cameras. The movie really shined when it was the hand held camera being used. The multiple cameras got old pretty fast, since they pretty much constantly just showed the same shots over and over.

I really liked the daughter, for the most part anyway. The whole Ouija board scene was incredibly unnecessary. Also, the scene where she was babysitting dragged on for way too long with nothing much happening after she gets locked out of the house. If that whole bit was a bit tighter, I think the movie would have been in a bit better shape.

The crowd seemed really into it and it should be huge. Three midnight showings were sold out at my theater. I definitely recommend it, especially if you're a fan of the first movie. It was a fun, scary little flick for Halloween. The last few minutes were absolutely AMAZING. Loved it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Last edited by movies35 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 - 8/10 (A-)

To my surprise, I thought this was just as good, if not a hair better than the original. I was expecting a cheap cash-in sequel, but it offered plenty of good chills. If you liked/loved the first, you should enjoy this one. If you didn't, then you won't. It's basically more of the same, which to me, isn't a bad thing. It starts out a bit slow and I was prepared to be disappointed, but the second half really picked up. Basically just like the first, except I guess I was a little more intrigued by the set-up in the first and this time I just wanted them to get on with it. But be patient, it delivers.

Seeing this with a sold out crowd was just awesome. They laughed, jumped, screamed, etc... at all the right parts. At one point when it was getting pretty tense two girls went running out of the theater (no lie), which is something I've never seen before. I don't think I'll have a better moviegoing experience all year. The audience made the movie.

This was a great Halloween treat. Try and see it opening weekend during a time where there will be a lot of people. I hope for a third next October.

My friends I saw it with thought it was better than the first, and they loved the first.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:16 am
Extraordinary

I really liked the first but i found this one very dissapointing and boring, the whole family annoyed me, to bad they didn't use the scary sounds like the first did, the only creepy part was the baby getting dragged from the crib.
Another thing, this movie cost 3mill and yet i thought the first had better pruduction values than this one with its 11k budget, where did that 3mill go?

3/10
D

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Paranormal Activity was a very enjoyable and thrilling film that really can account itself as one of the best of its genre. The sequel, however, is a completely step down and brings some worry to where this franchise will go. The story is mostly prequel with a tiny bit of sequel in there. The film seems to not even worry about its scares until the last half. The film definitely builds some suspense but once the reveals are made, they aren't scary but laughable. That really is all most of the film is. Then it decides to continue where the last film ended in just about three minutes and it's just stupid. Hopefully the third, which will most likely be made, will be a step up from this and closer to the first. *1/2

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I thought the way they told the story was fantastic. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

A rare sequel which improves upon the original, which is not to say Paranormal Activity 2 is a revelation. It just refines and expands upon the formula which made its predecessor one of the most iconic and profitable horror films of the decade.

If you had a blast watching the first film--with its long, grain-laden nocturnal shots, your eyes darting from detail to detail, watching for small supernatural movements, waiting for big JUMP! scares and, in the end, a cool, surprising finale--you will have just as much fun with the sequel, if not more. A Halloween treat and sure to become a slumber party classic.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:24 am
Teenage Dream

yo, I heard this is like, a meta-textual narrative, dog. tru?

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:14 am
College Boy Z

Definitely not as scary as the first, but I loved what they did with the story.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:01 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
yo, I heard this is like, a meta-textual narrative, dog. tru?

For the record, this movie is actually not bad, and this (albeit heavy-handed and pretentious) description is not totally inaccurate. Some of the security camera footage is framed almost perfectly for maximum fear-inducing and thought-provoking goodness, for serious.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:36 am
100% That Bitch

D+

This movie sucked, the first half was building up to the first major scary thing, and wat was that? a door opening?, besides they didn't even tried, they remake the first one, every trick was done in the first film, this was boring and way too long.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:48 pm
Wallflower

Saw it again this week with my friend and her kids. They all loved it and thought it was much better than the first (which they also liked). They thought it was really scary. Good times. :D

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:34 pm
problem?

McSteamy just gets his pussy rubbed raw by the PA series because both PA1 and PA2 shanked both of the last two Saws and left them to bleed out on a bathroom floor. Much like Cary Elwes.

PA totally roofied and put the Saw series in a trap which Saw VI and Saw 3D could not escape. Ironic.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:23 am
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

Some things are better in this movie than in the first (more likable characters) and some are just worse (again repetitive scenes that get boring and lack of something else than doors shutting down and people being dragged around the house). Overall I'd rate it the same.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:52 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Something just felt creepier about the first film. It felt claustraphobic. It felt like it could be real. PA2 features a larger house, more characters and a bigger (although not much) budget. The larger, nicer house takes away from the claustraphobia of the first. More characters provides more chances for characters I don't really care for. They tried (in both films) to create real people, but even more than the first, they've created a couple of horror movie cliches. I'd prefer they just go with regular acting. The "real people" thing feels forced and fake.

What works, works really well. But it takes so darn long to get there. The kitchen scene (which needs no further description) was awesome. Parts of the final third are fun, although again, it treads into typical horror movie waters, which I felt the first mainly avoided.

It's a worthy sprequel, but it don't think it'll be as well-remembered as PA1. At least it's not a train-wreck sequel like Blair Witch 2. It's okay, just lacks the punch of the first. Although my biggest gripe with the first are the in-between scenes, mainly due to the inexperienced leads.

Grade: C+

PA1: B+

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 am
Forum General

I still can't believe that some people who loved the first absolutely hated this. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

movies35 wrote:
I still can't believe that some people who loved the first absolutely hated this. :P

It is interesting, isn't it??? I've heard nothing but good things about PA2 and that it's the rare sequel that improves upon the 1st movie and then, you come to KJ where the grading and reviews of this are opposite than what you read everywhere else... :-k

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:28 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

If every other forum was jumping off a cliff, KJ would survive!

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:29 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Gunslinger wrote:
If every other forum was jumping off a cliff, KJ would survive!

Why?? Cause you used parachutes??? :funny:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

No, because we...uh...wouldn't...jump.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 am
Forum General

Dr. BK Banner wrote:
movies35 wrote:

It is interesting, isn't it??? I've heard nothing but good things about PA2 and that it's the rare sequel that improves upon the 1st movie and then, you come to KJ where the grading and reviews of this are opposite than what you read everywhere else... :-k

You did notice how I said "some people," didn't you? Most reviews here are favorable.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 am
Profile YIM WWW