Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Other Guys 

What grade would you give this film?
A 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
D 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

The Other Guys 
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Other Guys
FWIW, I saw it a second time at the drive-in (on a double bill with Cats and Dogs: The Revenge Of Kitty Galore), and boy does it play flat without an appreciative audience's energy.

The people I saw it with didn't like it at all. Based on this, I predict it's reputation will fall when it's released on DVD - - though I always feel sad for anyone who waits to see a comedy on DVD rather than with a lively opening weekend crowd at the theatre.

I will keep my rating at 4 out of 5, because of the few great funny bits scattered in it - - I was reminded of one great line on my second viewing:

"You dance like that sarcastically?"

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:50 am
Superman: The Movie

Shack wrote:
The Other Guys fails because it abandons this reality barrier. Everyone in the film is playing for jokes and going outside believability to do it. Film doesn't pay attention to making its characteres REAL, it just concentrates on making them act up. Most noteably, Wahlberg's yelling at random is not believable. But mostly individual scenes. Jackson and the Rock jumping... sure it's funny, but also stupidly unbelievable. Wahlberg confronting his ex at the dance studio is totally out of character for a person in that situation. The stuff with Ferrell insulting Mendes. His ex and her husband running 20 miles to charge the car. There's movies like Airplane make the 'ridiculous' work, but the Other Guys isn't it. For the most part it tries to play in reality, but then steps out of it for a cheap joke.

It does? The Ponzi scheme aspect to it is very grounded in reality, but how does the entire movie exactly play in reality? It's a parody of buddy-cop movies. Buddy-cop movies to begin with aren't exactly believable. Why should the parody of one be?

I saw it a second time at a Drive-In, like Bradley, and for some reason it worked better for me. Maybe it's because I could barely hear anyone else laugh (I can't remember the crowd's reactions the first time I saw it)? I somehow missed a lot of Ferrell's one and two-liners the first time around. This wasn't even the funniest one, but the one that stuck with me for some reason was... "I think we all had a ballet today...a ballet of emotions". And Whalberg definitely isn't a problem with the movie. The last 20 minutes or so I still had a little bit of a problem with because the jokes begin to run dry, but not enough to ruin the movie.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:30 am
Profile WWW

Shack wrote:
This is TERRIBLE. Last week I saw two comedies in Date Night and Dinner for Schmucks, that work because they make sure the barrier of reality is maintained, despite a ridiculous plot in the former and crazy characters in the latter. The former movie had everyone play relatively straight, the latter had half the characters ludacris but to balance it out had the rest as straight as possible.

The Other Guys fails because it abandons this reality barrier. Everyone in the film is playing for jokes and going outside believability to do it. Film doesn't pay attention to making its characteres REAL, it just concentrates on making them act up. Most noteably, Wahlberg's yelling at random is not believable. But mostly individual scenes. Jackson and the Rock jumping... sure it's funny, but also stupidly unbelievable. Wahlberg confronting his ex at the dance studio is totally out of character for a person in that situation. The stuff with Ferrell insulting Mendes. His ex and her husband running 20 miles to charge the car. There's movies like Airplane make the 'ridiculous' work, but the Other Guys isn't it. For the most part it tries to play in reality, but then steps out of it for a cheap joke.

The lack of believability has damning consequences. We don't buy the characters as real, so we don't care what happens to them, if they're in danger, if their relationships are in danger. We don't care about the crime plot because nobody involved feels reality. When the jokes happen, they're not coming from characters, they're coming from actors. Theu didn't feel like characters being funny, they felt like Ferrell and Wahlberg mugging and overacting. All the drawn out dialog felt like writers trying to find as many ridiculous things for the leads to say and then giggling at their own brilliance. Characters acting slapstick works... when they're characters. When they're actors on screen it's cringe worthy.

A waste of time. Will be one of the year's worst.

F

Admitedly I have only seen about 1/3 of Date Night, but to describe anything within that film as "realism" seems quite silly to me.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:53 pm
Extraordinary

Michael A wrote:
Admitedly I have only seen about 1/3 of Date Night, but to describe anything within that film as "realism" seems quite silly to me.

Carrell and Fey were continually playing off of realism in Date Night - - it might even be argued that they've both built a career off of it.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:15 am
Devil's Advocate

Yes, the plot in DN was ludacris, but Carrell and Fey were in a very straight mode

I dunno, maybe if I saw the Other Guys again in a pure spoof light, I'd have bought into the jokes more. Or maybe if it was just funnier with them. As it stood I couldn't buy into for eg. Wahlberg going from volume 2 to volume 11 on the drop of a pin numerous times. Just felt like the writers/actors trying to be funny. Which is what all jokes all, but the good ones feel like the characters being funny, not the actors mugging.

I think it'd have worked more if they just played Wahlberg straight, or at least as straight as the Hamlet 2 guy and Michael Keaton. I'm not saying every comedy needs a straight guy + fool dynamic, just that this one particularly suffered from both Wahlberg and Ferrell clowning for jokes with nothing around them grounding them. Really good comedies make even the clown/fool believable, The Other Guys doesn't come close to this with Ferrell, so having 2 unbelievable leads just didn't cut it for me. I'm not interested in watching a movie about two guys I don't believe and thus I don't care about what happens to, and who aren't funny enough for their jokes to carry it without me caring about the plot. The end result is a movie where I don't care what happens and I'm not laughing aka, a waste of my time

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:42 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

You're a waste of everyones time.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:08 pm
---------

Shack wrote:
The end result is a movie where I don't care what happens and I'm not laughing aka, a waste of my time

Exactly how I felt.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 pm
Where will you be?

At first it seems like it wants to be a spoof of buddy cop movies... Then it decides to become a subpar buddy cop movie that doesn't take itself seriously. Will Ferrell delivers, as usual, but yikes is Mark Wahlberg out of his element here. The lion/tuna fish argument sort of sums up just how unevenly matched these two are. I wouldn't call The Other Guys a disaster. It's just amusing... And instantly forgettable. But props to those closing credits: The Day After Tomorrow should've had some scary facts and charts over its credits too!

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:49 pm
The Wall

4/10 -> D

It has a few funny moments, but that's it. At least Ferrell is not the usual irritating version of himself. And I liked Wahlberg in this. It's just that the material they were given is bad.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

THE OTHER GUYS - 5/10 (C-)

This was OK at first, but it got pretty boring and overlong, not to mention humorless.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:16 am
You must have big rats

C+

The Other Guys is the first movie directed by Adam McKay that I have seen and I certainly hope that the others are not as much of a letdown as this one. This film had a really great cast for a comedy to boot and did pretty much nothing with it. Samuel L. Jackson and The Rock were a hoot in their parts, but I really didn't think their demise was funny and it came way too early in the film. For the rest we have to deal with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg as the straight man to Ferrell's doofus. After The Departed, we should all know that Wahlberg can be funny and act well, but this was not the case for him in The Other Guy. He just seems misplaced most of the time. Ferrell does his best and can score a few laughs, but this doesn't get close to his roles in films like Old School or even The Producers. I did like the scenes with him and his wife a lot, though as well as his "wild" backstory. Nicely done.

Michael Keaton is another remarkable performer here who elicits some humor as well. Steve Coogan and Anne Heche are completely wasted in this film. Why did Heche do it anyway? Such a thankless role! Moreover, for an action comedy, the action in this was really very lame. Overall, the film was mildly entertaining, but not nearly as fun as the premise and the marketing made it seem to be.

I really did like those closing credits, though!

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Rabbit Hole has more honest laughs than this movie.

(Dianne Wiest <3)

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:02 am
College Boy T

Dr. Lecter wrote:
C+

The Other Guys is the first movie directed by Adam McKay that I have seen and I certainly hope that the others are not as much of a letdown as this one. This film had a really great cast for a comedy to boot and did pretty much nothing with it. Samuel L. Jackson and The Rock were a hoot in their parts, but I really didn't think their demise was funny and it came way too early in the film. For the rest we have to deal with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg as the straight man to Ferrell's doofus. After The Departed, we should all know that Wahlberg can be funny and act well, but this was not the case for him in The Other Guy. He just seems misplaced most of the time. Ferrell does his best and can score a few laughs, but this doesn't get close to his roles in films like Old School or even The Producers. I did like the scenes with him and his wife a lot, though as well as his "wild" backstory. Nicely done.

Michael Keaton is another remarkable performer here who elicits some humor as well. Steve Coogan and Anne Heche are completely wasted in this film. Why did Heche do it anyway? Such a thankless role! Moreover, for an action comedy, the action in this was really very lame. Overall, the film was mildly entertaining, but not nearly as fun as the premise and the marketing made it seem to be.

I really did like those closing credits, though!

you've never seen Anchorman?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:13 pm
You must have big rats

Well, that is what I have written. So, yes.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
You are waiting for a train

I don't think I laughed once after the first 20-30 minutes.

Anchorman remains the only McKay/Ferrell collaboration I've really enjoyed.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:43 am
Forum General

Wow, fuck happened here?

This was the funniest shit I've seen in a long time. Second to Anchorman just because that has had so much time to grow on you.

Step Brothers? Fucking joking. That was the most boring, humourless, lame piece of shit and Talladega Nights is just bland.

Then again, it's not like Anchorman was as revered upon release, so bandwagon jumpers please make way for more sheep.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Ferrell's inane, off-the-wall humour is still tops, but the action, by and large, becomes far too generic. Thus, the film turns into the exact thing it's spoofing.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:45 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

EXACTLY.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:48 pm