Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Inception 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 45 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 9 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 64

Inception 
I heet the canadian!

Post Re: Inception
Shack wrote:

Spoiler: show
I think he's in a dream. There's some clues like the children's placing set up exactly like his memory, the top never spinning that long in the past. But the biggest one to me is the illogacy of the Leo, Saito meeting. Why would Saito be in Leo's limbo, wouldn't he be in his own? If he is in his own, why is Leo there? Why is Saito old and Leo young, both should age accordingly if they are in the same limbo. Why are Leo's eyes black? What exactly happens between Mal and ending up in that water? None of this is explained, we just get Leo in the water like in the middle of a dream. There doesn't have to be an explanation. I believe we - and Leo - jump from falling building sequence to water to Saito meeting like in a dream, and all of this is done so Leo can have the limbo he wants. The limbo where he doesn't know it's not real... where the truth is locked away in the safe, or in this case left on the table without being seen. It reminds me of the scene in the Sixth Sense (of all movies) where we learn Bruce never goes in the basement because he doesn't want to. I think Leo knew he'd never found Saito and didn't care to. It was a red herring to get Page away. He knew he wasn't coming back.

They explained in the first Fischer dream that Limbo is a shared consciousness for all parties involved, and since Dom had been to Limbo previously with his wife, the unconstructed space of that realm took that form.

I think the reason Saito was old was because he forgot that he was in fact dreaming before Dom did, so he aged accordingly. Dom himself was clearly lost as well until his talk with Saito.

I didn't catch Dom's eyes as being black. Perhaps just a trick of the light? I'll have to look out for it next time I see it.

Also, not a spoiler, but I read on another website that Dom was wearing his ring whenever he was in dreams. Can anyone confirm that?

Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:51 am
Forum General

so isn't there a meaning to him seeing the kids faces???...prior to that he always said he couldn't see their faces...so why could he at the end?!

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:03 am
Superfreak

Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
Well as Cobb says in the beginning... you never remember how you got to where you are in a dream. The plane was a perfect spot for him to start his new dream.

Wah? He obviously remembers how he got there...

My take is the same as zing and bj

clearly the real world. There's simply no way, based on the laws established by the film, that he gets back to the plane in anyway other than reality.

The film failing to establish any type of timespan of how long its been since Mal died makes it tougher to guage, though one gets the sense its been a few years. If that was the case, IDK why his kids haven't aged at all.m...but I'd rather not bend my brain over that.

He finds Saito, even though in his mind it took forever, and wakes up right as he should: on the plane.

The totem, which while not falling, was clearly not perfectly spinning either.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:23 am
Superfreak

Magception wrote:
I really am amazed that this got greenlighted. Like, Nolan must be the best pitch-man in the world to convince WB to give him a 160m budget. I love Nolan but I would NEVER have invested in something like this. It's insanely risky.

Nolan probably just said something to the extent of

"I just made you guys the movie of the decade, which will be good billionS (plural) of dollars. I'm wavering on doing a sequel, butttttt funding for my next film, which Leo DiCaprio has a greed to star in, is lacking. PERHAPS my decision on Batman 3 could be....swayed....if you fund Inception".

(Ignores inception) "Put your name on superman too".

"Deal".

WB clearly realize a Nolan directed Bat sequel would easily make up for any losses Inception may have made. They just made a "leap of faith".

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:38 am
Killing With Kindness

Biggestgeekever wrote:
After seeing it for a second time, I've developed some concrete opinions in regards to some of the theories out and will try to project those in a intelligible manner.

Before I get started, let me make it aware that I consider Nolan to be a master of deception, which is gonna be the basis for a lot of my conclusions

First off, I don't think it's worth much more than entertaining the notion that the entire film is a dream. It's an idea that is virtually impossible to prove without Nolan outright coming out and saying it's so, and is ultimately counterproductive in my view.

Secondly, I've heard people say that Saito was actually the mastermind to achieve whatever his goals may be. He is certainly a shadowy character, and some have pointed to the scene in which Dom first uses the sedative. In this scene, Dom wakes up from the sedative, is shaken by it, and then spins his totem. It's significant here because the totem falls off the sink before we can judge if it continues it's rotation. In my view, this scene is here to act as both misdirection by Nolan, and as a reason for why Saito was able to look at the totem in Limbo and remember his promise to Dom.

The ending, of course, is going to be (or just is?) the biggest point of discussion for a lot of people. There's a definite sense of ambiguity to the ending, but I think it's absolutely reality for the following reasons:
1) Once they get off the airport, all of the members of the group and even Fischer acknowledge Dom in a way that none of the projections in any of the other realities did except, of course, for Mal. Mal is the exception because she was the part of the mind of Dom that wanted him to stay with her in Limbo forever. With him finally letting go of his guilt, it doesn't make sense for his mind to continue to try and trick him.
2) Some have brought up how his children are in exactly the same position and are the same age in which they were in his memory. Initially, I thought of this as perhaps a reason for why I was wrong, but after seeing it again, I realized a few things: Their position, while in the same area as his memory, is not identical. James and Phillipa have actually switched places. Also, they are indeed older than in the memory (something that is confirmed by the credits on IMDB actually, hehe). Additionally, some have postulated that Dom has been on the run far too long, though I do not believe to be true. In the phone call after the botched first job, it's evident they are still quite young, as James does not have a grasp on the concept of death. If you want to believe that is also a dream too, then I feel you're back in the field of counterproductivity.
3) The spinning of the totem is the big one for a lot of people. It's very evident that it's indeed slowing down and wobbling, but the cut to black leaves us with that nagging feeling. Some have said the amount of time the totem is spinning is far too long anyway, but I disagree, since the first time Dom spins it it remains for roughly the same amount of time. Also, the fact that Dom revealed how the totem works to Ariadne has led to some to believe that this makes the spinning a non-factor (those believing Ariadne actually performed inception on Dom), and that it's also not initially his. Since it's previous owner (Mal) is dead, that latter point is a not an issue. Also, Ariadne did not touch or hold the totem, so she could not possibly it's texture nor it's weight.

That's about all I can do for tonight. Feel free to comment or disagree. I'd love to have some more discussion with regards to this movie. :)

I noticed point two upon my 2nd viewing as well, and am now 100% sure that he is indeed in the real world at the end.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:51 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Not really a spoiler, but in any case:
Is Don's home in Paris or Los Angeles or are we unsure as to whether he exited the plane and went with Michael Caine back to some other city on a different plane? It doesn't make much sense that Caine would be raising Dom's children in Los Angeles yet be a professor in Paris.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Was this incredible or what? One of the more intensely cerebral workouts one could find in a megaplex, Inception engages the intellect. It is not complicated, per se, for viewers that are willing to pay attention. Nolan, who has without a doubt cemented himself as one of America's premier filmmakers, creates an astonishingly creative and layered world here. With help from Hans Zimmer's frantic musical score, watching Inception is a simply intense experience. And the action sequences are tremendous, especially the gravity-free combat scene in the hotel. While the film is working our minds, Nolan doesn't forget to work our emotions either. Different pieces of Cobb's backstory form the backbone of the film. Leonardo DiCaprio delivers yet another outstanding performance in the lead role; I was actually a bit more impressed by his work in Shutter Island, but this is a more demanding role in some ways. From the start, it's established Cobb has a troubled past, and it's a testament to DiCaprio that we A) want to know what it is and B) are sympathetic anyway. While the rest of the team's characterizations are pretty bare, this has no ill effect on the film, and Nolan has filled these roles with highly capable actors. Ellen Page proves she is not typecast as Juno, delivering fine work as the only member of the team who seems aware of Cobb's demons. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy and Ken Watanabe are all excellent, and each has individual moments to shine within the film, while Cillian Murphy offers a surprisingly sympathetic mark. Marion Cotillard's work here is wrenching; she has to play both a femme fatale of sorts and the object of intense guilt and grief, pulling off both with aplomb. Dreams are, of course, a very private and personal experience that we experience on a daily basis. And that's what Nolan makes a film out of here: dreaming, in all its respects. It is a fabulous, fascinating film. A

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:06 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Excel wrote:
Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
Well as Cobb says in the beginning... you never remember how you got to where you are in a dream. The plane was a perfect spot for him to start his new dream.

Wah? He obviously remembers how he got there...

My take is the same as zing and bj

clearly the real world. There's simply no way, based on the laws established by the film, that he gets back to the plane in anyway other than reality.

The film failing to establish any type of timespan of how long its been since Mal died makes it tougher to guage, though one gets the sense its been a few years. If that was the case, IDK why his kids haven't aged at all.m...but I'd rather not bend my brain over that.

He finds Saito, even though in his mind it took forever, and wakes up right as he should: on the plane.

The totem, which while not falling, was clearly not perfectly spinning either.

But he does not know. All he does is "wake up". It could very well be another dream created by Ariadne. He never took the tubes out of his arms, as far as I can remember. And again, he doesn't remember how he got there, he was sleeping.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:20 am
Forum General

Caius wrote:
Not really a spoiler, but in any case:
Is Don's home in Paris or Los Angeles or are we unsure as to whether he exited the plane and went with Michael Caine back to some other city on a different plane? It doesn't make much sense that Caine would be raising Dom's children in Los Angeles yet be a professor in Paris.

Think they got off the plane in LA and Caine is a professor in Paris. When Leo saw him, they even talked about being away.

Only other thing...on the phone was a grandmother in the background...thought it was wierd that she wasn't there when they got home.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:30 am
College Boy Z

Ariadne says something to Arthur after they get out of the water from the car falling regarding Cobb. What is it?

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:49 am
The Kramer

There's a million different ways to interpret the ending.

When I first saw it I thought he was still in dream world for sure. Not because of the top, but because everything was just as he remembered it. What are the odds of that? And it had to have been at least a year since his wife died.

This is the best movie of the year, the last two years even. Unlike anything I've ever seen at the movie. It's keeps you thrilled and yet is smart enough to make sure you can't just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. The dream worlds rules are a little confusing at first, particularly the part about labyrinths, paradigms and paradoxes. Yet when they start the process on Cillian I was fully into it, and I felt like I understood everything that would be important from there on out.

My favorite characters were JGL and Page. Page had excellent chemistry with about everyone in the movie, while JGL's zero G fight scene was the highlight of the action scenes. Leo has great moments too and proves he can anchor a tentpole with ease. I'd like to see him take a break from Marty for a little while just to avoid being typecast again (like he was after Titanic).

I'd still rank The Dar Knight higher as it had stronger characters and more of an emotional impact. Christopher Nolan has done it again though, making his previous film the only one we can compare his newest with. That's how good he is. I hope WB continues to hand him yachts of money to make whatever the hell he wants.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:51 pm
Devil's Advocate

Didn't mention the acting in my review but JGL, Dicaprio, Page, Watanabe were all awesome... It's definitely nice to see Page won't just have a Juno and Juno like roles career. I think here and JGL are both going to be really big. They're fantastic among young actors

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:00 pm
Sbil

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS (obviously) ABOUT THE FILM'S ENDING. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN CAUTION.

I love this video of some audience reacting to the end of the film.

My audience was EXACTLY the same thing. An enormous collective groan of knowing laughter then appreciative applause immediately afterward.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:27 pm
Another You

I just caught up on some points I missed after second viewing but it seems that the more times I see it, the more questions I ask.

Do the two scenes with old Saito actually differ?

Is being an architect or forger a special personal skill, or could there be specific drugs for being one?

Possible plothole: The flight took 10 hours, but the first dream took less than 12 hours (meaning that's just 60 minutes at most in real time if 1 hour dream time = 5 mins. real time) yet they woke up just 20 minutes before landing.

Or could the dream time got faster in the mission because they used a different drug?

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:28 pm
Forum General

2001 wrote:
I just caught up on some points I missed after second viewing but it seems that the more times I see it, the more questions I ask.

Is being an architect or forger a special personal skill, or could there be specific drugs for being one?

Possible plothole: The flight took 10 hours, but the first dream took less than 12 hours (meaning that's just 60 minutes at most in real time if 1 hour dream time = 5 mins. real time) yet they woke up just 20 minutes before landing.

Or could the dream time got faster in the mission because they used a different drug?

they also went deeper down than expect...they could have accelerated things.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:31 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

2001 wrote:

Not a plot hole. COBB woke up 20 minutes before landing. It was never shown how long he was in the 4th dream. Could have been years. If anything you should ask, HOW did he wake up?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:33 pm
Sbil

Also, it will be a crime if this does not win an Oscar for editing. Like, the entire last hour was basically three or four different timelines being weaved together rapidly. And the fact that it all made complete sense is astonishing.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:34 pm
College Boy Z

An interesting point (which I don't think anyone mentioned here, but I might have missed it) is that when Leo gets off the plane and meets up with Michael Caine, everyone in the airport is staring at him, pointing to the theory that he's still in the dream. Does anyone remember that?

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:49 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

zingy wrote:
An interesting point (which I don't think anyone mentioned here, but I might have missed it) is that when Leo gets off the plane and meets up with Michael Caine, everyone in the airport is staring at him, pointing to the theory that he's still in the dream. Does anyone remember that?

If that is the case though, he would be the architect. The projections would have to come from the subject, but there is none.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:51 pm
College Boy Z

Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
zingy wrote:

If that is the case though, he would be the architect. The projections would have to come from the subject, but there is none.

Are you sure? Because...

In the bar where Cobb meets Fischer, at one point, he does draw the attention of everyone in the room. And he definitely wasn't the architect for that dream. And yet, at the same time, Ariadne and Arthur drew the attention of the people in the dream until they kissed.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:56 pm
Pure Phase

Everyone was staring at him in the airport? I know he had an Ocean's-Eleven-esque series of knowing glances with his team, but I don't remember -every- traveler stopping and staring intently at Cobb.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:58 pm
Sbil

Clearly, the answer is that we all need to go see it again.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:00 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

zingy wrote:
Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
zingy wrote:

Are you sure? Because...

In the bar where Cobb meets Fischer, at one point, he does draw the attention of everyone in the room. And he definitely wasn't the architect for that dream. And yet, at the same time, Ariadne and Arthur drew the attention of the people in the dream until they kissed.

As he said at the bar though, the projections are looking for the architect. They knew he was an intruder, just not the architect.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:01 pm
Forum General

Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
2001 wrote:

Not a plot hole. COBB woke up 20 minutes before landing. It was never shown how long he was in the 4th dream. Could have been years. If anything you should ask, HOW did he wake up?

They all woke up together and if it was 20 minutes before landing, that seems like it wasw the pre-set time

and using spoilers is stupid...as people shouldn't be in here if they don't want to know and then just seeing the spoiler tag gives them no info...

Best they should do is, look at the grdes on the front page.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:03 pm
Forum General

Gunslinger wrote:
Everyone was staring at him in the airport? I know he had an Ocean's-Eleven-esque series of knowing glances with his team, but I don't remember -every- traveler stopping and staring intently at Cobb.

also it clearly wasn't the middle of the dream as in every other time....it started at the airport with the father and continued long into a straight path to the kids.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next