Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Get Him to the Greek 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Get Him to the Greek 
Extraordinary

Post Get Him to the Greek
Get Him to the Greek

Quote:
Get Him to the Greek is a 2010 American comedy film written and directed by Nicholas Stoller and starring Jonah Hill and Russell Brand. The film is scheduled for a theatrical release June 4, 2010. Get Him to the Greek is a spin-off sequel from 2008 film Forgetting Sarah Marshall, reuniting director Stoller with stars Hill and Brand. Brand reprises his character Aldous Snow from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, while Hill plays an entirely new character. At one point, the film's title was changed to Get Me to the Gig and was then reverted to its original title.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:30 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Post Re: Get Him to the Greek
I liked this a lot. It doesn't really go for major laughs, but it stays funny throughout and is even kind of sad. P-Diddy started out somewhat boring like Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder, but he became much funnier as the movie progressed.

It also had a good running time, unlike other Apatow produced comedies.

B+.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I liked about 70 minutes of it. The last half hour though? Not as much. Did we really need the Aldous Snow hitting rock bottom and contemplating suicide movie? Why couldn't he have stayed the same character from Forgetting Sarah Marshall? The last half hour is pretty much a downer and kind of awkward (the threesome). By doing this, Stoller is probably getting close to how some true life rock n' rollers feel and how their lifestyles can kill them...but it's a comedy. I don't want to be depressed walking out of the theater if I wasn't expecting it.

**½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Jmart wrote:
I liked about 70 minutes of it. The last half hour though? Not as much. Did we really need the Aldous Snow hitting rock bottom and contemplating suicide movie? Why couldn't he have stayed the same character from Forgetting Sarah Marshall? The last half hour is pretty much a downer and kind of awkward (the threesome). By doing this, Stoller is probably getting close to how some true life rock n' rollers feel and how their lifestyles can kill them...but it's a comedy. I don't want to be depressed walking out of the theater if I wasn't expecting it.

**½

The threesome was extremely awkward; a mother and son even walked out of my theater during that scene. However, I think the filmmaker's wanted the scene to play more on the side of awkwardness rather than outright comedy. I admired the drama route the last 1/4 of the movie opted for.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Very funny.

There's no question about that - - but emotionally, it was almost too darn sweet for me.

Russell Brand is great here (except for a couple of rather unforgivable out-of-character lapses brought on by the sometimes syrupy script). Jonah Hill was, surprisingly, still funny. Rose Byrne was awesome as the pop princess ex. Sean Combs was unexpectedly intensely hilarious in short bursts.

And let's not dally any longer - - let's get to the heart of any one of these musician comedies (MU-COM's) - - the parody songs and their accompanying videos or live performances. In Get Him To The Greek they're hitting the target about 80% of the time - - which is better than most in a rarified field (i.e.: it ain't no Hairspray). That said, some of Aldous' and Jackie Q's numbers are absolutely perfectamundo!

All-in-all an excellent summer comedy.

12 out of 5.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:53 am
Sbil

Really funny, even though it's more a series of loosely connected comedic moments than an actual narrative. Jonah Hill and Russell Brand work well together, and it's a worthy spin-off of Forgetting Sarah Marshall (although a notch below that one). B

Last edited by Libs on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:04 pm
Stanley Cup

didnt really enjoy it that much. Never liked Snow's character as a supporting actor, so as a lead it was even awful at sometimes.

Hill gave a very solid performance and Moss & Bryne were good.

P Diddy was awesome.

C.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:10 pm
College Boy Z

It's a pretty solid comedy. Jonah Hill is very funny, but Russell Brand was hit and miss. Diddy's pretty legit funny here. But the whole story just seemed like a mess.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:26 am

It's messy, and silly, and convoluted, and vain.... yet, it was pretty excellent. There are plenty of flaws but the first 2/3s are consistently funny culminating in the hysterical party scene in Vegas. The final third has solid dramatic weight, and provides an interesting touch to each character. They are actually, for the most part, believable human beings going through chaotic situations. A fresh breath of air from the typically preposterous characters in similar comedies (The Hangover anyone.)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:42 am
Stanley Cup

i'm surprised nobody has mention sarah marshall's awesome new show "Blind Medicine"

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:05 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Michael A wrote:
It's messy, and silly, and convoluted, and vain.... yet, it was pretty excellent. There are plenty of flaws but the first 2/3s are consistently funny culminating in the hysterical party scene in Vegas. The final third has solid dramatic weight, and provides an interesting touch to each character. They are actually, for the most part, believable human beings going through chaotic situations. A fresh breath of air from the typically preposterous characters in similar comedies (The Hangover anyone.)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51447&start=25

Quote:
I like this. It's very funny and the whole quasi-detective aspect is plenty of fun. I'd say its more varied humor allows for it to be a better film than ILYM, but it doesn't come close to the grand levels of FSM/KU.

That was your review back then Savage.. Couldn't of been all that preposterous like you claim??? :bang:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:39 am
Profile WWW

I was referring specifically to the characcters, and in that review I am speaking about the general film not the people the actors are portraying. I still think the hangover is a funny movie, but none of the people are believable in any sense, whereas they are very believable in Greek.

Also, I find it kind of creepy you are looking up my past reviews in an attempt to prove a current one wrong.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:00 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Michael A wrote:
I was referring specifically to the characcters, and in that review I am speaking about the general film not the people the actors are portraying. I still think the hangover is a funny movie, but none of the people are believable in any sense, whereas they are very believable in Greek.

Also, I find it kind of creepy you are looking up my past reviews in an attempt to prove a current one wrong.

Oh spare me Savage.. Like no one has ever done that to me before.. :funny:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Get Him to the Greek is a strong spinoff of Forgetting Sarah Marshall that is actually just as good. Russell Brand and Jonah Hill have good chemistry on screen and give great laughs themselves but there are some surprising supporting roles that help drive the film even more. This can be seen with P. Diddy and Rose Byrne who offer a lot of strong laughs. The storyline also stays intact throughout and never falters. A good result after the lackluster marketing. ***

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Strong performances from the leads but the script is a bit of a let-down and the premise isn't dealt with as good as it potentially could have been. I'd almost forgotten that it was a spin-off of Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and now that I have, I don't think his actions were completely in line with what that character was like. I guess it's worth a rent, which is what I did anyway.

B

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Finally saw this a week or two ago. My only real comment?

I want to see Russell Brand as a lead in a drama. I am seriously seein' potential there.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:35 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B

It's a good movie, but the comedy in it is very hit/miss. Some scenes (mostly those with P. Diddy) were hilarious, but then there are many very dull stretches, especially towards the end of the film. Russell Brand and Jonah Hill are both solid in their respective roles and I actually appreciate the fact that they also tried to show some dark sides of a rock star life, despite this being a rather outrageous comedy. Some moments were definitely played in a serious way and it strangely worked within the context of the film. The threesome scene was very awkward, though. Moreover, the movie was definitely way too long. I liked it more than Forgetting Sarah Marshall, though (great reference to that one!).

PS: Rose Byrne in this film - :thumbsup:

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:12 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Too long, and Jonah Hill is a black hole of comedy. Russell Brand always makes me laugh, though, and P. Diddy is hilarious. And Rose Byrne is super hot. But that third act nearly kills it.

The Kubrick joke is the best.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:30 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This remains one of my favorite comedies of the last many years. I understand how the change in tone / pace might not work for everyone, but I loved everything about this movie, including its heart.

On the level with Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Bridesmaids, Step Brothers, 40 Year Old Virgin, Waiting..., Anchorman. Step above the underrated The Rocker and Hot Rod.

A-

Looking forward to Neighbors.

Thu May 15, 2014 1:22 pm
Extraordinary

Get Him To The Greek is easily director Nicholas Stoller's best movie (by far).

(Though if you count his work as a screenwriter, I would say Fun With Dick And Jane tops the list!)

Thu May 15, 2014 5:12 pm
On autopilot for the summer

outside of the Vegas hotel scene, which is downright one of the funniest things ever, everything else is just bleh. FSM was so much better

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 16, 2014 11:09 pm
now we know

It's a strange film really. It doesn't seem to have any structure. It's just scenes of excess, no care, puking, drugs, drink and sex all crammed into this bubble of Jonah Hill's character and his goal to appease his twat of a boss (played by Puff Daddy). It isn't funny, or shocking, or dramatic, or romantic, so what is it? It's basically a drawn-out, hideous bore. I'm absolutely amazed that this comes from the same person that made The Five-Year Engagement (which is a fantastic rom-com). But then again, that same person did make/write such shit as Sex Tape, Neighbours, Gulliver's Travels and Fun with Dick & Jane, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. Get Him to the Greek seems to fit well within Stoller's emporium of crud.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:08 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I am a big fan of this one. It is my second or third favorite film from the House of Apatow. I just find it hilarious and a bit heartwarming, too. Love the chemistry between the leads, as well as Rose Byrne's scene-stealing role.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]