Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 The Box 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
D 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

The Box 
Extraordinary

Post The Box
The Box

Quote:
The Box is a 2009 American science-fiction psychological-thriller film based on the 1970 short story "Button, Button" by Richard Matheson, which was previously adapted into an episode of the 1980s iteration of The Twilight Zone. Matheson was clearly inspired by passage 1.6.2 of 'Genius of Christianity' (1802) by François-René de Chateaubriand, in which the authors asks the reader what he would do if he could get rich by killing a mandarin in China solely by force of will. The film is written and directed by Richard Kelly and stars Cameron Diaz and James Marsden as a couple who receive a box from a mysterious man who offers them one million dollars if they press the button sealed within the dome on top of the box.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: The Box (2009)
The Box is ambitious and sometimes preposterous as more of the film's mystery unravels, but it is unsettling and creepy enough to justify some of the silliness. This is a film that takes itself very seriously (perhaps not surprising for a movie from Richard "Donnie Darko" Kelly) and there's no comic relief to be found, but it takes risks (the ending is very non-typical of Hollywood) and asks some interesting questions. It's an ably acted film, with Cameron Diaz and James Marsden delivering effective and surprisingly low-key performances, and Frank Langella at his creepy best. This is definitely more of a sci-fi thriller than a horror movie but its grim-faced dedication to telling an ambiguous story works. B

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:56 pm
Forum General

I honestly have no idea what to say about this movie. ;)

I'm a gigantic fan of DONNIE DARKO, it's been one of my favorite movies for years. With that being said, I blind bought SOUTHLAND TALES and couldn't even make it through the entire thing.

When the trailer for this came out I thought it was a really cool concept and that it looked really great. The first 45 minutes or so were wonderful. Very suspenseful and entertaining. It really started going downhill when the whole thing with the babysitter started going on. The last hour of the movie was just... so corny and cheesy. While the ideas were good, just weren't executed on film well at all.

And the ending, which could have been GREAT was ruined be horrible dialogue and awful music.

I walked out of the theater saying "that movie was absolutely terrible." And honestly, it wasn't very good at all. But I do like it more than I did last night. I honestly can't stop thinking about it because it was just so... bad. ;) But it was never boring. I think it will work better on a second viewing, so you know what will expect.

5/10 ( C )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Box has a very interesting premise with what would you do if given the chance at a million. While that plot was good and all, the rest of the side-plots and later overall structure of the film are really weak and just unnecessary. What could of been a nice simple film was ended with too many questions left unanswered and an overall film where you're just left sad wanting to root for the main characters but just can't. Frank Langella potrays one of his worst roles yet and Cameron Diaz does not work well with accents. Overall the film is a huge disappointment. *

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

I feel physically ill after watching this, and it wasn't the popcorn. :thumbdown:

Richard Kelly keeps trying to out-do his Donnie Darko, and fails miserably...

Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:10 am
Pure Phase

I thought The Box was a solid film. It's definitely zany--Richard Kelly never saw a tub of water he didn't want to turn into a portal to another dimension--but mostly enjoyably so. The performances were solid all-around (James Marsden shines) and, most importantly, I found the general atmosphere of the film extremely creepy and claustrophobic. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the running time. So, all in all, it may be bat-shit crazy at times, but it's also an entertaining popcorn thriller with interesting ideas and strong acting and direction.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:39 am
College Boy Z

Like...what?

Terrible.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:02 pm

It's an interesting movie, but those employers (whoever they are...aliens? gods?) are bigger assholes than those cunts from The Knowing.

The box test is ridiculous, of course most people will press the button.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:00 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

One of my favourite films of the year.

Kelly does a terrific job building mood and dread, while posing some pretty interesting questions about the nature of life and our universe. You always get a sense that there's something going on behind the scenes - someone pulling the strings - and the nature of the film, as well as its content, only reinforce this. That Arthur C. Clarke quote - "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - is a perfect encapsulation of the themes of the film.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the blatant similarities to his other two films, but he really is an auteur, and he combines his auteurist tendencies with the original short story well. It may seem silly, but it's really a masterful work.

Highly recommended.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:53 am
Extraordinary

sounds like kiss me deadly + garbage

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 pm
The Wall

6/10 -> C

Richard Kelly can definitely build great atmosphere. But what was with that ending? Everything was perfect up until the second half. It doesn't fail completely, as it plays with usual Kelly big reveals and themes, but it didn't come off great here. Pity.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:03 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
trixster wrote:
One of my favourite films of the year.

Kelly does a terrific job building the mood and dread, while posing some pretty interesting questions about the nature of life and our universe. You always get a sense that there's something going on behind the scenes - someone pulling the strings - and the nature of the film, as well as its content, only reinforce this. That Arthur C. Clarke quote - "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - is a perfect encapsulation of the themes of the film.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the blatant similarities to his other two films, but he really is an auteur, and he combines his auteurist tendencies with the original short story well. It may seem silly, but it's really a masterful work.

Highly recommended.

You liar! This is 'Lady in the Water: Part II'...

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:01 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I mean it that way, too.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

HA! Funny LADY IN THE WATER should be mentioned. I hadn't even read that in this thread and texted someone during it who had already seen it mentioning that I was reminded of LADY IN THE WATER. And yes, that IS a bad thing ;).

THE BOX - 5/10 ( C )

Oh boy. The first 45 minutes are very good, and then it goes way off track and I had no clue what was going on, nor did I care. It was just boring. I would have given it a D+ or C-, but then I really liked the ending. It's no surprise this one is so hated. I was hoping I could have loved it though.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Twilight Zone episode it's based on.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:44 am
Is it known whether Richard Kelly is a member of Scientology?

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:48 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Harold wrote:
Is it known whether Richard Kelly is a member of Scientology?

Yes.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:52 pm
Where do I find this particular piece of knowledge?

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:59 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Harold wrote:
Where do I find this particular piece of knowledge?

The internet.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:02 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

This movie is actually identical to that South Park episode with the space cash. Pinewood Derby.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 am
The Lubitsch Touch

trixster, i just accused your beloved movie of being nothing more than an expanded version of an underwhelming twist in a lackluster episode of South Park (which is totally true)

whaddaya have to say huh

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 am
loyalfromlondon

I've come to expect it from you.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]