Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Paranormal Activity 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 29

Paranormal Activity 
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Paranormal Activity
zingy wrote:
That's one of the least scary scenes in the entire film.

Either way, I'll be seeing this tonight so will find out then.. I need some sleep since I worked all night, so I'll dream of this in anticipation..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I hope you like it. Don't write it off in the first hour, because most of the scenes in the first hour are not meant to be scary, but just freaky.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:16 pm
He didn't look busy?!

Harry Warden wrote:
What's scary about it? Sheets rustling on the bed (That's their "scary" moment in the trailer)? I'm shaking in my proverbial boots. That's the stuff of stupid Sam Raimi-produced teenybopper horror for the horror newbies. I've seen thousands of horror movies. That stuff stopped being effective eons ago, if it ever was.
anyone who carries that kind of attitude isn't going to be scared. if you make any movie a "joke," if you tell yourself that it's not going to scary you and that it's stupid, you can pretty much prevent any movie from being scary.

with something like PA, you just have to let yourself go and buy into it all.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:45 pm
Profile WWW

Well, I'm up, showered and enjoying a nice hot cup of coffee and ready to go.. T minus and counting at 2 hours and 15 minutes to go.. I'll probably leave here in about an hour with the prediction that there will be a line.. I'd be very shocked if there weren't for as much hype as this movie has generated..

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Harry Warden wrote:
MR. GREEN wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
Yeah, there's no way this is scary. People (Stupid ones) actually thought Blair Witch was scary too.

Joe, you plan on seeing this???

Maybe. Don't know if I'll bother. People thought Open Water was scary too. It was awful.

I loved Open Water :P. It was creepy and realistic. I was extremely engrossed the entire time. It's not as effective on DVD as it was in theaters, but it's still a great movie. The ocean scares me so that added to how unsettling it was. It's better than Jaws, IMO. Such an underrated film!

Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Mike wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
MR. GREEN wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
Yeah, there's no way this is scary. People (Stupid ones) actually thought Blair Witch was scary too.

Joe, you plan on seeing this???

Maybe. Don't know if I'll bother. People thought Open Water was scary too. It was awful.

I loved Open Water :P. It was creepy and realistic. I was extremely engrossed the entire time. It's not as effective on DVD as it was in theaters, but it's still a great movie. The ocean scares me so that added to how unsettling it was. It's better than Jaws, IMO. Such an underrated film!

No

Anyhow, I'm outta here and off to RONNIES 20 CINE.. My review by 2:30 AM

Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:16 pm
Profile WWW

Alright.. I just got home from the 11:45 PM showing of PA.. I arrived at RONNIES an hour early thinking the line would be insane and what do I find?? No line at all.. By the time 11:15 rolled around, a total of 10 people were in line which strikes me odd for a movie THIS hyped up.. Around 11:50 during the multitude of movie trailers(around 6 total) the auditorium was more than 1/2 filled and this was shown on RONNIES MEGA SCREEN which is the same screen they use for IMAX, so they had to make sure they put a message up citing just that: That this wasn't in IMAX.. Fine.. On to the movie.. The movie immediately starts with the boyfriend showing off his new camera equipment that seemed like he almost showed that more attention than his hot girlfriend(who by the way had a great set of breasts and a nice plump ass)..

We begin with the introduction about how the footage was found by the police dept and this is what they show.. It goes from Night #1, #3, #5, then it skips for like 8 days all the way up to Night #13, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, and ending the movie with Night #21.. I guess were supposed to believe that for a house that's being occupied by a so called "Demon" that it wouldn't torment the girl or her boyfriend and give them a week off.. We see and hear things that go bump in the night with the chandalier caught swinging back and forth as the 2 investigate what the hell is going on.. We then see and hear the door to the attic being tampered with only to discover that it's practically hanging sideways.. The boyfriend and his trusty companion, the camera, go up in the attic only to discover a pic of the girlfriend from many years earlier when her other house had burned down.. At this point, the girl is genuinely freaked out while the boyfriend is cocky and laughing this shit off and goes out of his way to acquire a Ouija Board to try and communicate with whatever is inhabiting their home.... We often see during the nighttime recordings, the girl arise from bed and simply stand at the side of the bed and stare at her boyfriend.. Is this scary??? Not in the fucking LEAST.. At that point, I'm now looking at my watch and discover nearly an hour has gone by with really barely anything happening that caused me to ask the person next to me "Why is the movie Rated-R??" To which, he couldn't give me an answer and probably wasn't happy that I wasn't that overall thrilled and was asking him this, but it really was a good question: Why was this movie Rated-R and not PG or even PG-13??? Was it because of the brief "F" word occasionally used cause this movie had NOTHING on Blair Witch in terms of how many times the "F" word was said in that movie..

My biggest problem with this movie is this: It was more intriguing in how they made it then the actual movie being scary or even unnerving itself.. It just wasn't and I'm sorry and I know I'll hear that this is a bunch of macho talk and all this yada yada yada bullshit, but too bad.. The audience I sat with seemed to be more into talking and laughing after a so called scare scenes than any screaming which was few and far between which does me prompt me to believe that the TV Spots with the audience screaming is nothing more than a bunch of premanufactured fake screaming that was probably planned to sell the movie and did it work?? Sure it did.. Was there any scene that stood out from the rest of the scenes that was more talking and arguing between the 2 of them?? YES, when the so called demon dragged her out of bed, slammed the door and dragged her down the hallway.. Now THAT was good, but unfortunately, we didn 't get enough of that and for nearly 12 dollars spent and staying up past midnight to see this cause ALL OF YOU SAID IT WAS BETTER SEEN LATENIGHT, I'd have to say I'm really really disappointed and did expect more and I can't imagine I'm alone on feeling this way.. Pretty much, I'd say I was the oldest one in the theatre and not phased 1 bit by this and I'd have to conclude in my review that kids under the age of 21(and there were ALOT of them) are merely basket cases when it comes to emotions and get scared by the easiest and dumbest things..

I applaud the maker of the movie since he's now a millionaire for making this movie at such a paltry budget and will probably make close to 70 Million or so when all is said and done, but other than, I'd say this bordered on plain, flat out sucking...

Grade: D

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Harry Warden wrote:
What's scary about it? Sheets rustling on the bed (That's their "scary" moment in the trailer)? I'm shaking in my proverbial boots. That's the stuff of stupid Sam Raimi-produced teenybopper horror for the horror newbies. I've seen thousands of horror movies. That stuff stopped being effective eons ago, if it ever was.

"I've seen every low-grade piece of shit horror film every released straight-do-DVD! This movie, which I have not seen, is not scary!"

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:31 am

The Dark Shape wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:

"I've seen every low-grade piece of shit horror film every released straight-do-DVD! This movie, which I have not seen, is not scary!"

It's NOT.. I can't believe how the TV Spots make this look as though this is the most frightening, most scariest movie you'll ever see and even Rolling Stone's movie critic cites this to: How scary this is, how this movie has genuine fear and that fear is inside of you is what he said on the cardboard billboard outside of the theatre and I'm sorry but it just wasn't.. Anyone that says this movie was really THIS scary is in denial cause they got suckered into believing it was and when it turned out it wasn't, they stuck to their guns saying it was probably cause they didn't want to believe how disappointing it was.. Everyone said how scary and better this was seeing it with a packed audience and it was more laughing than screams with LOT'S of talking, but no cell phones ringing..

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:

Translation: "Hi, my name is The Dark Shape. I'm a know-it-all douche who thinks I know everything about movies because I "work" in them. If you don't agree with me, you deserve to be attacked, even moreso in this case because of who you are. In finish, I hate you and screw you."

It's all about expectations. Just because a movie is released direct-to-video doesn't mean a thing. Your argument doesn't hold up, especially when you have an avatar from such a film. :lol: :roll:

Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:00 am
Extraordinary

No, I knew more about movies than you well before I worked in them, Joe. It's just hilarious that you slam the idea that it's scary when you, y'know, haven't seen it. And maybe won't.

If I make a blanket statement about something, I've at least probably seen it.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:55 pm
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
No, I knew more about movies than you well before I worked in them, Joe. It's just hilarious that you slam the idea that it's scary when you, y'know, haven't seen it. And maybe won't.

The Blair Witch Project was supposedly scary too. It certainly wasn't. You can join the other pricks here, right in line behind Libs.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:42 pm
Extraordinary

Harry Warden wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

The Blair Witch Project was supposedly scary too. It certainly wasn't. You can join the other pricks here, right in line behind Libs.

The fact you call Libs a prick kind of says it all.

Paranormal Activity freaked me the hell out. I don't care about the inevitable backlash. I don't care about people using it against me later. It's the scariest film I've seen in many years.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:02 pm
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

The fact you call Libs a prick kind of says it all.

Paranormal Activity freaked me the hell out. I don't care about the inevitable backlash. I don't care about people using it against me later. It's the scariest film I've seen in many years.

Well, she's wished me dead, hurt, gone (and gee, what does she mean by that...I wonder) on multiple occasions. That qualifies as prick behavior.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:30 pm
College Boy Z

I don't understand how you see every movie, Joe, but you're maybe skipping Paranormal Activity? Being such a big horror fan, I'd expect that you'd be going ASAP and actually having an open mind about it instead of just writing it off as unscary.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:31 pm
Orphan

zingy wrote:
I don't understand how you see every movie, Joe, but you're maybe skipping Paranormal Activity? Being such a big horror fan, I'd expect that you'd be going ASAP and actually having an open mind about it instead of just writing it off as unscary.

Well, I see them for free and PA isn't playing at the theatre where I see them for free, therefore I won't see it.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:32 pm
Extraordinary

Harry Warden wrote:
gone (and gee, what does she mean by that...I wonder)

Off the message board?

And you've - in posts I've seen in the last day - wished her dead and called her grossly unattractive. And you tend to do that to everyone.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:43 pm
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
gone (and gee, what does she mean by that...I wonder)

Off the message board?

And you've - in posts I've seen in the last day - wished her dead and called her grossly unattractive. And you tend to do that to everyone.

Nope, I don't call everyone grossly unattractive. Except Libs posted I picture of herself so I know it to be true. Now grossly unattractive is obviously an exaggeration. That said, she's not someone you'd notice out of the blue either. I've posted a pic of myself too if you're interested in retorting back with something similar to what I've posted. I'm sure someone can find the pic for you if you're interested in knowing what the person you hate so much looks like.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:49 pm
Extraordinary

I don't care what people look like. Why does it matter? The hottest member of this board still (by evidence of post count) spends way too much time on the internet.

EDIT:

Okay. I bit and looked. That's grossly unattractive? Hahahahahaha.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:52 pm
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
I don't care what people look like. Why does it matter? The hottest member of this board still (by evidence of post count) spends way too much time on the internet.

EDIT:

Okay. I bit and looked. That's grossly unattractive? Hahahahahaha.

Did you not read my post? I said it was an exaggeration.

And what someone looks like obviously matters, as someone like you should know given the industry in which you work.

Last edited by Harry Warden on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:01 pm
Extraordinary

She's not unattractive at all. And for the record, I don't hate you. I don't hate anybody on this board. I just think you act like a brat a lot of the time.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:03 pm
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
She's not unattractive at all. And for the record, I don't hate you. I don't hate anybody on this board. I just think you act like a brat a lot of the time.

For the record, I hate you. You're an arrogant jerk. Now do you hate me?

Wanna see the new list?

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:04 pm
Extraordinary

Nope. I'm here for fun. Not worth the effort to hate someone.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:06 pm
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
Nope. I'm here for fun. Not worth the effort to hate someone.

Wanna see the new list?

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:06 pm
Extraordinary

List of what? People you hate?

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next