Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Paranormal Activity 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 29

Paranormal Activity 
Orphan

Post Re: Paranormal Activity
MCN

Quote:
Paranormal Activity, the Emperor's New Clothes of canny (actually genius) internet marketing. The most amazing thing is the Pavlovian Dog effect it seems to be having on gullible auds who've been convinced that it's the scariest thing they've ever seen when it's actually a lot closer to watching paint dry. I guess P.T. Barnum was right.

Ghosts and the paranormal aren't scary, mainly because they don't exist and thus there's no reason to be scared. All those faux docs on The Discovery Channel and Syfy are for the guillible who want to believe in it so obviously they do.

Last edited by Harry Warden on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:16 pm
Extraordinary

Neither are there moon-sized space ships or giant robots or houses that can fly because of balloons or vampires or zombies or...

It's make-believe. You put yourself in the film. I don't believe in God, but when I watch The Exorcist, I fully assume the Devil and God exist in that world.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:20 pm
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
Neither are there moon-sized space ships or giant robots or houses that can fly because of balloons or vampires or zombies or...

It's make-believe. You put yourself in the film. I don't believe in God, but when I watch The Exorcist, I fully assume the Devil and God exist in that world.

It's different with horror movies. In order to truly be disturbed, I have to feel that what I'm watching could happen in the world in which we live. At least The Exorcist has some basis in reality as there have been exorcisms performed by the Church. People may think their house is haunted but there's never been anything definitive to prove it.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:23 pm
Extraordinary

Harry Warden wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

It's different with horror movies. In order to truly be disturbed, I have to feel that what I'm watching could happen in the world in which we live. At least The Exorcist has some basis in reality as there have been exorcisms performed by the Church. People may think their house is haunted but there's never been anything definitive to prove it.

There's never been anything definitive to prove demons were involved with exorcisms. And considering the antagonist in Paranormal Activity is a demon, it's the same exact situation as The Exorcist, simply without the priests.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:28 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I agree with Dark Shape.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:32 pm
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

There's never been anything definitive to prove demons were involved with exorcisms. And considering the antagonist in Paranormal Activity is a demon, it's the same exact situation as The Exorcist, simply without the priests.

I never said anything about demons, just that exorcisms have actually been performed. No house has been proven to be haunted. All The Exorcist did is take something that does happen and expand on it. Why do you think the Church was angry about it when it came out?

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:34 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

Oh my God shut the fuck up we just lost 2 whole pages of reviews

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:42 pm
Extraordinary

Harry Warden wrote:
No house has been proven to be haunted.

The house in Paranormal Activity isn't haunted.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:51 pm
Orphan

The Dark Shape wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
No house has been proven to be haunted.

The house in Paranormal Activity isn't haunted.

Hauntings, paranormal activity of any kind...all lame.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:53 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Ok.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:57 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The Dark Shape wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
No, I knew more about movies than you well before I worked in them, Joe. It's just hilarious that you slam the idea that it's scary when you, y'know, haven't seen it. And maybe won't.

If I make a blanket statement about something, I've at least probably seen it.

The Blair Witch Project was supposedly scary too. It certainly wasn't. You can join the other pricks here, right in line behind Libs.

The fact you call Libs a prick kind of says it all.

Paranormal Activity freaked me the hell out. I don't care about the inevitable backlash. I don't care about people using it against me later. It's the scariest film I've seen in many years.

You really think this movie is the scariest film you've ever seen?? In 6 months, you will have forgotten about this and something better will have come along. I credit the guy who made the movie to turn chump change movie making into a millionaires dream making all the $$$ it did, but in the end, you had to sit through an hour of comedy from the boyfriend to get to the last 15 minutes which was good at best.. Too much buildup in the marketing ultimately let this down and could've shown much more.. Still, no one seems to answer my question as to WHY this movie was R-Rated?? What was so bad in this movie, so scary and terrifying to qualify this as an R-Rated movie other than a couple of F words muttered???

And considering it said that the girl disappeared and was no where to be found, this leads me to believe that there'll be a sequel down the road just like they did with the Blair Witch..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I said "in many years," not ever. And I don't know why it's R outside of language. Ask the MPAA.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:23 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Madea My Love wrote:
I never said anything about demons, just that exorcisms have actually been performed. No house has been proven to be haunted. All The Exorcist did is take something that does happen and expand on it. Why do you think the Church was angry about it when it came out?

How many people have you seen that can turn their heads 360 degrees, levitate and spit green pea soup?

And like someone said, I also don't care about religions and Gods, but I do enjoy its use in movies like The Exorcist, The Omen, God Told Me To, Alice Sweet Alice, To The Devil A Daughter, The Antichrist, etc.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:35 am
College Boy Z

BKB, who the fuck cares if it's R-rated? Like, why are you even bringing up that point in all your posts? It had language. It had enough f-bombs that the MPAA wouldn't pass it as PG-13. The end. This isn't a mystery, nor something you should mention more than once ever in life.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 pm

zingy wrote:
BKB, who the fuck cares if it's R-rated? Like, why are you even bringing up that point in all your posts? It had language. It had enough f-bombs that the MPAA wouldn't pass it as PG-13. The end. This isn't a mystery, nor something you should mention more than once ever in life.

I've heard the F word in PG-13 movies and there was absolutely no reason why PA should've been R-Rated.. This movie was extremely tame with the last 10 or 15 minutes being the best part and it's too bad there wasn't more of that.. It took an hour just to get to the good stuff..

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

BKB, usually no more than one or two Fuck's are allowed in PG-13 rated films.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

Dr. Lecter wrote:

yep, 2 fucks is an automatic R

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Even that aside, there's no reason why this movie should've been R-Rated.. You know what I'm looking forward to?? When Halloween is all over and passed, what everyone REALLY thinks of the movie cause right now, your all riding on dilluded commercials of audiences screaming and have psychologically willed yourselves to do so as well cause NO WAY do any of you think this movie is THAT scary out of all the horror movies you've seen..

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

No, not "even that aside," BKB. That IS why it was rated R. There is a limit on the number of "fucks" before it comes R-rated, and Paranormal Activity surpassed it. The end.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:33 pm
Leader of the Pack

Lets get this thread back on track... I freaking loved this movie and do believe it is one of the best horror flicks ever made in that it gets into your head. A

I'm going to go ahead and post my whole review here instead of forcing you guys to go to another site.

Quote:
Building hype since its debut in select college town’s three weeks ago, the horror phenomenon “Paranormal Activity” has finally gone wide. Not since the “Blair Witch Project” a decade ago has a horror film drawn so much attention through critical and audience response.

With bone chilling imagery and fierce build up through perfect plot pacing, “Paranormal Activity” not only lives up to its hype, but solidifies itself as one of the most haunting films of all time.

Set in the fall of 2006 of a suburbia area of San Diego, the film follows Katie Featherston and Micah Sloat (playing a modified version of themselves), a young couple “engaged to be engaged” as Micah puts it. Ever since childhood, Katie has been followed by a sort of demonic/ghostly presence that haunts her in her sleep. In order to understand this intangible presence, Micah purchases a high tech video camera to record the nightly events that occur while the couple sleeps. Over the course of nearly three weeks, the presence’s appearances intensify, tearing the couple and their lives apart.

What happens when you sleep? It is a question no one can truthfully answer and it is disturbing just to think about. This idea of the unknown has provided some of the best psychological horror/thrillers of all time in such films as “Jaws” and its question of what lurks below the surface and Hitchcock’s “Psycho” with its idea of vulnerability while in the shower. Taking this focal theme to an even more personal level, one’s bedroom, first time director Oren Peli crafts a film that demands viewers to question how sure they are that ghosts and demons do not exist.

You can tell yourself it is not real. You can say that it is just a film and all events are staged. You could consult your local film professor to have him explain the realities of the filmmaking process. But when you see a girl violently torn from her bed by an invisible force, and you hear her shrill screams for help as she is dragged into the menacing darkness, a memory is burned into your head that is hard to shake.

Shot for an unheard of in today’s filming world $15,000, “Paranormal Activity” relies not on special effects or an intricate plot to carry the film, but its actors’ abilities to emote the rarely felt emotions that create a unique and truly horrifying atmosphere. And it is often that Peli relies on Katie and Micah to react to the effects that were obviously added in post production.

Acting as the everyday girl whose love for her boyfriend is topped only by her fear of her curse, Featherston creates a genuine character. She is the most relatable character in the film and her memorable mental breakdown towards the end of the film only makes viewers more sympathetic to her experience.

As the testosterone driven boyfriend, many will undoubtedly find Micah to be the film’s antagonist. Constantly ignoring his girlfriend’s requests by continually trying to interact with the being, his actions come off as stubborn. This stubbornness is understandable though in the basic understanding that a man will go to any lengths to protect his girl, even if those lengths are quite retarded.

Starting off slow, “Paranormal Activity” understandably drags throughout its first half by setting up its characters and events. It doesn’t take long before the soon to be iconic night time bedroom shots begin to become more prominent and terrifying. Through the use of fading to black and the growing boom of the eerie sound that accompanies the presence, Peli lets audiences know when they should hold on to their viewing partner for dear life.

In summary, “Paranormal Activity” is an instant classic in the psychological horror genre. It is a movie that should be experienced by hundreds of others in a theater just as willing to get the crap scared out of them. It is one of the more memorable films of our generation.

A

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:31 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I love when people think the reason other people are scared of a movie is because they psyche themselves into being scared... but it's the exact same thing that happens for someone not scared. They go into the movie, wanting to pick it apart and psyche themselves out of being scared.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:38 pm

Chip Munkington wrote:
I love when people think the reason other people are scared of a movie is because they psyche themselves into being scared... but it's the exact same thing that happens for someone not scared. They go into the movie, wanting to pick it apart and psyche themselves out of being scared.

Considering I grew up in the 70's when The EXORCIST hit theatres and elicited actual REAL SHOCKS that put some in the hospital, you'll have to understand why I'm not as easily scared as the TV ads keep telling me I should and it's not psyching anything out, just the way it is.. You had more boring parts to sit through that outweighed the good and it's true, but again, if your all happy with it, then that's all that matters, right???

Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

God, shut the fuck up. SERIOUSLY. You are so obnoxious and annoying. I don't know why the hell you are still on this fucking site. WHY DO YOU CARE IF PEOPLE LOVE THE MOVIE? Or find it scary for that matter? You didn't like it. Boo fucking hoo. We all knew you wouldn't like it. You don't need to be BASHING the people that did love it and found it scary. GROW THE FUCK UP.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW

movies35 wrote:
God, shut the fuck up. SERIOUSLY. You are so obnoxious and annoying. I don't know why the hell you are still on this fucking site. WHY DO YOU CARE IF PEOPLE LOVE THE MOVIE? Or find it scary for that matter? You didn't like it. Boo fucking hoo. We all knew you wouldn't like it. You don't need to be BASHING the people that did love it and found it scary. GROW THE FUCK UP.

More importantly is: Who gives a fuck what YOU think?? :nope: And the thread is to discuss the movie.. I've discussed it, I've said what was good and what wasn't, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE and yet, you seem to have a problem when it comes to my views.. You know what I say?? I say go log off and head to another site if you don't like it.. You have options. Use em wisely..

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

All I can say is wow. This was quite generally the most terrifying film Ive seen in a theater and 2nd most scared Ive been only behind Halloween. The build up and pacing is flat out oscar worthy.

I'm a suspense nut and have never cared for gore, and I would bet the big reason everybodys freaking out abotu what some would say is an average film is because EVERYBODY is so used being scared of gore and blood that they forgot how effective suspense was. Not since SIGNS had "suspense" really petrified the public...until now. I loved the ending even if it was a tad ridiculous imo. However the film is just, pure and simply, haunting.

I would wager its quite literally impossible to be not scared fo this film if one goes in with an openmind, the suspense is OBNOXIOUS at times...I kept wishing I had my remote to fastforward.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next