Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Obsessed 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Obsessed 
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Post Obsessed
Obsessed

Quote:
Obsessed is a 2009 American thriller film directed by Steve Shill. The Screen Gems production stars Idris Elba, Beyoncé Knowles and Ali Larter.

Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper conceived the basic idea of Obsessed, and it was then developed by writer David Loughery and filmed in the summer of 2008, with a production budget of US$20 million. The film's set was inspired by the work of directors Roman Polanski and Alfred Hitchcock, and its score was written by James Dooley. Lisa and Sharon were dressed in contrasting styles to reinforce their conflicting characters. Obsessed opened in US theaters on April 24, 2009, and UK theaters on May 29, 2009.

Film critics gave Obssessed generally negative reviews. Many were disappointed in the absence of an explanation behind Lisa's obsession with Derek. Others noted that the potential theme of interracial conflict between the Charles family and Lisa was untouched. Because of its similar storyline, Obsessed has been compared to Fatal Attraction (1987), although film critics were bored by the fact that Derek did not at all yield to Lisa's seduction. The fight scene finale between Sharon and Lisa, however, was commended by reviewers, and won the MTV Movie Award for Best Fight at the 2010 ceremony.

Obsessed spent its first week atop the US box office, and has grossed $73,830,340 from theaters, internationally. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment first released the film for home viewing on August 4, 2009 via DVD and Blu-ray in the US, and it was later made available in other countries. In the US, Obsessed has sold 1,208,077 home media copies, worth $20,461,581 of consumer spending, bringing its total gross revenue to $94,291,921.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:02 pm
problem?

Post Re: Obsessed
It was basically The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. Where the babysitter was all, I wantz ur lyfe. But with black people.

ImageImage out of Image

It gets those two for the catfight at the end only. They should've just cut the entire first 85 minutes out and just shown the catfight.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:52 pm
Extraordinary

So I saw this on a whim last night with a friend. It's hilarious... and pretty entertaining.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:57 am
Veteran

Holy
e
l
l.
This was, the biggest piece of trash that I have EVER seen - but it was AMAZING and I loved EVERY single minute of it. HOLYFUCKINGMOTHERSHITS. Sorry. Anyways, the movie is complete trash for every single reason you could imagine. Cheesy acting, horrible dialogue "She was neekid in yo HOteeeeeeel room" "You know who this is, you were in my house and you touched my child - you think yo crazy, I'll show you crazy - bitch" OH MY GOD! Ali Larter vamps it up from here to hell. Beyonce brings Sascha Fierce to the table and the two combined is the biggest cheese fest I have ever seen. Not a whole lot of shit happens until the last 10 minutes - which, is the amazing fight scene. Lisa (Ali Larter) takes every single psychopathic woman character we've ever seen in any thriller and fails to even be like them, but at the same time - her character is a beast - she also has an amazingly hot body. Beyonce is just a mess, and delivers some intentional/unintentional laughs but whatever she completely cleared up any mishaps in the fight scene. The fight scene is legendary and the audience was with me the whole way. Everyone was in on the joke and completely had a great time, clapping, laughing, shouting. THIS MOVIE IS INCREDIBLE (not really). This isn't a movie to graded but to be seen and put in it's own category - but really it's an F as a movie but if you take it as Sasha Fierce VS Crazy White Bitch, total A+.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:31 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Mr. Inc wrote:
Holy
e
l
l.
This was, the biggest piece of trash that I have EVER seen - but it was AMAZING and I loved EVERY single minute of it. HOLYFUCKINGMOTHERSHITS. Sorry. Anyways, the movie is complete trash for every single reason you could imagine. Cheesy acting, horrible dialogue "She was neekid in yo HOteeeeeeel room" "You know who this is, you were in my house and you touched my child - you think yo crazy, I'll show you crazy - bitch" OH MY GOD! Ali Larter vamps it up from here to hell. Beyonce brings Sascha Fierce to the table and the two combined is the biggest cheese fest I have ever seen. Not a whole lot of shit happens until the last 10 minutes - which, is the amazing fight scene. Lisa (Ali Larter) takes every single psychopathic woman character we've ever seen in any thriller and fails to even be like them, but at the same time - her character is a beast - she also has an amazingly hot body. Beyonce is just a mess, and delivers some intentional/unintentional laughs but whatever she completely cleared up any mishaps in the fight scene. The fight scene is legendary and the audience was with me the whole way. Everyone was in on the joke and completely had a great time, clapping, laughing, shouting. THIS MOVIE IS INCREDIBLE (not really). This isn't a movie to graded but to be seen and put in it's own category - but really it's an F as a movie but if you take it as Sasha Fierce VS Crazy White Bitch, total A+.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This was the funniest film I've seen all year - just epic :hahaha:

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:25 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Blah.

**.5/****

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:53 pm
Teh Mexican

Mr. Inc wrote:
Holy
e
l
l.

LOL... I want to see it now. :happy:

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:13 pm
Extraordinary

omfg i cant wait to watch this!

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Mr. Inc wrote:
Holy
e
l
l.

REVIEW OF THE YEAR (for everything in bold) :D

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:14 pm
College Boy T

Seriously the best movie of the decade.

Sun May 03, 2009 3:45 pm
No Wire Tampons!

i cannot WAIT for this shitfest.

Wed May 06, 2009 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

This is basically a massive fail as a legitimate movie but it's so ridiculous and entertaining (and everyone in the cast is aware of the film's campiness and thus go with the flow) that it's impossible to not enjoy watching it.

The epic catfight between Beyonce and Ali Larter (plus just about every line of dialogue Beyonce had beginning when her character stopped being boring) and the one line from Idris Elba ("Breathe, bitch!") make it worth the price of admission alone.

B-

Fri May 08, 2009 11:50 pm
College Boy Z

I'm a, a diva, hey
I'm a, I'm a, a diva, hey
I'm a, I'm a, a diva

I'm a, I'm a, a diva
I'm a, I'm a

Na, na, na, diva is a female version of a hustla
Of a hustla, of a, of a hustla
Na, na, na, diva is a female version of a hustla
Of a hustla, of a, of a hustla

Stop the track, let me state facts
I told you give me a minute and I'll be right back
Fifty million round the world
And they said that I couldn't get it

I done got so sick and filthy with Benji's, I can't spend
How you gone be talkin' shit?
You act like I just got up in it
Been the number one diva in this game for a minute

I know you read the paper
The one that they call a queen
Every radio round the world know me
'Cause that's where I be

A+, ****, 75 out of 10.

Fri May 22, 2009 12:34 pm
Wallflower

OBSESSED - 7/10 ( B- )

It was entertaining but not a laugh riot like some seem to think :P. Maybe it would have been funnier with an audience and in the right frame of mind.

Either way it was still fun. Ali Larter was hot, and Beyonce can't act. I also found her character annoying.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

B-

A terrible entertaining mess.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:50 am
Superman: The Movie

Well this was awful, and not in a good kind of way. It’s just bad.

Ali Larter vs. Beyonce??

Ali Larter, Ali Larter, Ali Larter. Anytime, anywhere, and especially after this movie. I’m not sure what the sequence of events was when Beyonce became attached to this, whether she read the script and became executive producer, or if she was promised a movie deal and a producer’s credit and then became attached to act in it, but it’s very clear she picked the movie because she wanted to play the “sympathetic wife” who at no point in the film looks awful, even when her husband is telling her the truth to her face in front of a fucking detective. Wouldn’t it have been kind of interesting if she were the one playing the temptress (get it, she’s a temp?) and Larter was playing the wife, or maybe someone not as sexy as Larter to level the playing field?

It’s kind of amazing how this movie unfolds. First of all, Elba’s character deserved everything that came his way. If someone flashes you in a car, or grinds up against you in a bathroom stall, go to human resources immediately, or at the very least tell your wife the next day. And what a great plot device in having him stall in telling her, that her sister’s husband was having an affair at the office. It’s funny, because it’s so similar to what’s been happening…oh never mind. You don’t wait until a couple of weeks later when everything has settled down. Because hey, she might stalk you at a function you're having and then the whole thing will go to shit. But hey she quit, she won't do anything else.

Then Larter rapes Elba, or at least that’s what the film implies. I could be wrong and it might not have happened, but why isn’t it touched upon later? If her character is in the hospital, wouldn’t they have noticed she just had sex recently? Wouldn’t that help Larter’s character’s argument that they were having an affair? Then again, that would’ve fucked Elba’s character too much with his wife, and that’s not what she wanted. Wait, yes it was. That and there was no way the writer’s could’ve written themselves out of that hole.

And then the babysitter. Scout Taylor Compton is continuing to get on my bad side. First she gives an awful performance as Laurie Strode in Rob Zombie’s abortion of Halloween, now she’s given a role as quite possibly the most irresponsible babysitter I’ve seen in a non-horror film.

A. What babysitter lets a stranger just walk right into the house even if they say they’re a friend?
B. Who lets her walk right by and up to the baby’s room?
C. When you’re given the option of taking the phone to talk to the mother of the baby you are watching, even if you think you might be in trouble, you take it because of A and B.

And what would Larter’s character had done if she had taken the phone? Kill her? Play stupid? "Oh, the phone line must have got cut off." Solid plan on her part.

Finally there’s the catfight. If Beyonce had been stripped down somehow to a shirt and panties like Larter’s character was, it might have been memorable. Instead it’s just Beyonce making one wisecrack after another. It kind of goes back to what I said before. She put herself in the sympathetic role, and she doesn’t do anything to make it in anyway sympathetic. I was disappointed when Larter crashed through the table and had the chandelier fall on her. I sincerely wanted her to win. Oh and then it ends all nicely with husband and wife hugging on the front lawn. It doesn't end with the husband becoming vindicated in any sort of way. The wife's become the victim all of a sudden. Don't get me wrong, she is a victim at that point with the crazy woman invading the house, touching her kid, etc. etc., but the movie isn't about the wife.

And then the film has the nerve to end with a song by Beyonce? We get it Beyonce, we know you’re the fucking star. It’s funny, Larter plays the egotistical psychopath. The part seems tailor made for Beyonce. And the film probably could've benefited from it. Instead she played it safe.

No Stars

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:09 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

:thumbsup:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:13 am
Superman: The Movie

Hey, according to IMDb it turns out I might have been on to something.

Quote:
An interracial aspect of the film was originally planned according to the director in an interview. However, this idea was scrapped, presumably because of similarities to screenwriter David Loughery's previous film, Lakeview Terrace (2008).

*coughs*Bullshit!*coughs*

Beyonce came on board, she wanted to be the goody, script change/name change (her name was Beth in the script), and you've got your final product.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:16 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

This was....interesting. I kind of felt bad for Derek as the bitch kept trying to seduce him. In fact just about all their scenes felt awkward. Ali Larter is really just a bitch throughout all this and I wish Derek would of just punched the fuck out of her. That's what Beyonce is for though and those last fifteen minutes was what I looking for. It's an interesting premise but if they had chosen someone other than Larter, I would of liked it a bit more. *1/2

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]