Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The Informers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

The Informers 

Post The Informers
The Informers

Quote:
The Informers is a 2009 American ensemble film drama written by Bret Easton Ellis and Nicholas Jarecki and directed by Gregor Jordan. The film is based on Ellis' 1994 collection of short stories of the same name. The film, which is set amidst the decadence of the early 1980s, depicts an assortment of socially alienated, mainly well-off characters who numb their sense of emptiness with casual sex, alcohol, and drugs. Filming took place in Los Angeles, Uruguay, and Buenos Aires.

It was the last film for actor Brad Renfro before his death on January 15, 2008 at the age of 25. The film was dedicated to his memory.

An article published by Reuters described the story as "seven stories taking course during a week in the life of movie executives, rock stars, a vampire and other morally challenged characters", set in 1980s Los Angeles. The supernatural content was not to be included in the final film, however.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: The Informers [2009]
I really loved this. I didn't love it as much as RULES OF ATTRACTION (which has always been one of my movies) but I thought it was amazing and just about one of the most underrated movies of all time. All of the performances were great, none of them were disappointing at all. Amber Heard was great in her role. I feel awful for her, she never can catch a break. Hopefully MANDY LANE is a sleeper and makes her known a bit. I don't get how people say that the different stories didn't have closure. Anyone with half a brain knows what is going to happen in the end. Anyway... I don't have much to say but I loved this and it should definitely be on my top ten come the end of the year. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it on Saturday.

9/10 (A)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Team Kris

At first I thought it was pretty bad, yet I strangely want to see it again? It's such a mess. A seedy, gross (hot?)mess. Bret Easton Ellis tried to adapt his own novel and while I like his "Crash/Babel" approach of trying to link unrelated storylines through character relationships, it ultimately ended up looking forced and pointless. A vignette-type movie (like the book) would have worked better. I was looking forward to the film mainly because of the vampire short story which was cut from the final film. Actually, lots of characters were dropped and some were combined with others.

It's funny that Jon Foster was the kid who ended up fucking Kim Basinger in The Door on the Floor. In this movie, they now play mother and son. Brad Renfro and Mickey Rourke's subplot was uncomfortable to watch (child molestation/kidnapping - it could have been it's own film). Renfro had this... twitch. Like he was about to go to seizure anytime. I don't remember if the character he played was like that in the novel. I liked Lou Pucci and Chris Isaak's story the best - the was the only story that seemed... non-plastic.

See this if you are really into train wrecks and awkward moments that feature artifically pretty and disgusting people and sleazeballs.

D+ (The plus is for the adorable Lou Pucci).

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:28 pm
Team Kris

movies35 wrote:
I don't get how people say that the different stories didn't have closure. Anyone with half a brain knows what is going to happen in the end.

Maybe those people aren't familiar with the source material?

But then again, I thought only die-hard Ellis fans (myself included) would see this.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:35 pm
Forum General

I've never read the novel and didn't even really know what the film was about before going to see it. I'm just saying that (at least to me) it had closure. RULES OF ATTRACTION was much, much more open ended, IMO.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
RULES OF ATTRACTION was much, much more open ended, IMO.

I didn't think so. Of course, RULES was actually good and I thought the ending was great. I didn't care with THE INFORMERS. It was like, "That's it? Oh well, at least it's over."

THE INFORMERS - 4/10 (D+)

I hate to say it, but this was a huge mess. It was really pointless. I love the era, so despite bad reviews I thought it would be pretty easy to satisfy me. But alas, that's not the case. Loved the music, but that's about it. The book is probably much better.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:54 pm
Wallflower

Christian wrote:
D+ (The plus is for the adorable Lou Pucci).

I've never been a big fan of him, and in this movie he reminded me of Clay Aiken :P.

I thought Jon Foster was much yummier. Have you seen him in The Mysteries of Pittsburgh? You may like that movie. I'm reading the book right now (almost done) and it's nothing like the movie. They changed a lot. Talk about morphing characters together. Still, I loved the movie and I love the book, though I'd rather have seen a more faithful adaptation.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:58 pm
Team Kris

Eh, not in this film. Jon Foster is way yummier in his other works though, I agree.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:26 pm
Forum General

I still really love this movie. I can't wait to buy it on DVD.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

What exactly did you like about this movie? None of the characters were very interesting, nor were the storylines. I fail to see how anyone could think so :P.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:33 am
Forum General

Fucking F.
Horrible to watch. Nothing redeeming. Terrible screenplay. Average acting.
Couldn't care less for any of the characters, storylines are closed but are so shallow it doesn't really matter.
Loose and laughable connections. Worst movie of the year and possibly of decade and all time.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]