Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Monsters vs. Aliens 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Monsters vs. Aliens 
Hatchling

Post Re: Monsters Vs Aliens
Did not hold up the 2nd viewing, still however a nice little surprise, Seth Rogen is great.

B

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:39 am
Another You

Reese' character was lovable here but the best voice acting goes to the spaceship computer. Some of the jokes didn't click, and I believe it's on the same league as KFP overall. But god, DW just keeps doing the same films everytime. You get a good laugh, you have non-stop fun, but there's really no depth/originality to those nor affection for the characters. At this rate, DW will never ever touch Pixar in terms of everything, even in WALL•E's year.

B+

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:01 am

So much potential, only about half met. The story is frankly rather weak, as is the entire script. The focus on Reese's character, not to mention casting Reese herself was just... bad. A bad idea and poorly executed. By trying to introduce everything through the "new monster" and demonstrating how she learns to deal with the situation the movie drives itself into the horrible and Dream Works filled land of convention. Consequently the whole thing borderlines boring.

As much as it likes to flirt with the line though, the film is never really dull. The other character's in the film are lively and entertaining, which consequently leads to the train of though, "what if they were it, and Witherspoon's character was gone!" But sadly, that hope is dashed. Still, they provide enough of a damper against "SOOOZZAANNNN" to at least slow the leaking of energy, if not stop it altogether.

Then there is the animation. Which is pretty breathtaking at parts, and sometimes just...good. In this day&age good is normal though, so only the breathtaking parts are really worth noting. There are quite a few, especially near the end with the spaceship and the big sci-fi parts. It looks really great, and while the 3D is extremely gimmicky it's also pretty cool.

some of the humor lands, some doesn't. Overall it doesn't matter that much. At the unfunny parts, I couldn't help noticing how conventional and irritating some of the humor was, and how desperate it sometimes felt. They seemed to be saying, "if we can't get the little kiddies laughing than we're goners!" But it is funny, or at least entertaining, enough that this is not a huge stigma.

All told, it's good. Not great, not nearly what it could have been, with a much better writer, and a better voice actor for the lead, but still a solid new entry into the CGI 3D land.

7/10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:01 pm
100% That Bitch

B+

It was funny at times, and never really felt boring....

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:22 am
New Server, Same X

Finally saw this. I was afraid Dreamworks would cram in a bunch of pop culture references that would end up bogging it down (Shark Tale and Madagascar come to mind), and luckily they're kept to a minimum. The "Axel F" theme used in the President scene was good, but I could've done without the Dance Dance Revolution thing. It's like Dreamworks operates five years in the past. I get the distinct feeling the writers are going "Remember this? Remember that song!?" constantly.

Anyway, I was fairly pleased with the movie. I had no problems with the cast, especially Reese. I do understand the complaints of voice actors (like Billy West) that big name actors and actresses shouldn't lend their voices to these movies, because they don't really ever do anything with their voices. You know Reese is Reese, you know Will Arnett is Will Arnett, etc etc. The only actor who disguised his voice really well was Kiefer Sutherland.

Totally would've dug this more as a kid, but I didn't feel disappointed. Straight-forward kids flick.

Grade: B+

Wed May 27, 2009 1:22 pm
Forum General

B+
Not their best by a mile but also not their worst by the same distance.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Monsters vs. Aliens is another wonderful addition to the growing Dreamworks Animation studio but the studio still can't reach near Pixar's height. The film though is a fun one with a nice original plot, a wonderful voice cast, and characters that are easy to have fun and watch perform on screen (especially the monster B.O.B. who brings most of the laughs to the screen). It's a fun way to pass by 90 minutes. ***

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What a disappointment.

I wish animation studios other than Pixar and Aardman would realize that a good script is always more important than good visuals and cheap laughs.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Groucho wrote:
What a disappointment.

I wish animation studios other than Pixar and Aardman would realize that a good script is always more important than good visuals and cheap laughs.

And Ghibli, right?

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Groucho wrote:
What a disappointment.

And Ghibli, right?

Yes, and Ghibli. My bad!

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I wasn't expecting anything going in, but kind of liked it in the end. It was by no means a "great" movie, but the I liked the cast (Paul Rudd, Rainn Wilson, Seth Rogan, Will Arnett, Stephen Colbert...), the homage to the "old" monster movies, and thought it was easy to watch.

Bob was definitely the highlight of the movie. Again, it wasn't deep and in a perfect world it would have skewed slightly more toward the adult level of humor... I like it when a CGI flick walks that fine line between adult and kids appeal, and this one went a little further toward "kids" than I would have chosen.

Oh, and I watched it on Blu-Ray on my 65" TV and it looked phenomenal, which may have helped too.

Grade: B

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:36 pm
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

Boring through and through. The story is a collage of numerous 50s/60s B-movies bits and pieces, but without anything new or without a solid new backbone to keep everything together. I feel like they made the whole script in one afternoon using wikipedia.

The visual look is great, but the second thing that horribly reduced my enjoyment is Ginormica. I never fully grasped her size and because of that I wasn't certain if she was big, or if the monsters and the people were small. She changed in size with every scene. The perception was all over the place and I was pretty annoyed by that. King Kong had the same problem, but it wasn't that accentuated there and in the end didn't effect the movie this much.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2