Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 58%  58%  [ 11 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 
College Boy Z

Post Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Quote:
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a Chinese-language film in the wuxia martial arts style, released in 2000. A China-Hong Kong-Taiwan-United States co-production, the film was directed by Ang Lee and featured an international cast of ethnic Chinese actors, including Chow Yun-fat, Michelle Yeoh, Zhang Ziyi and Chang Chen. The movie was based on the fourth novel in a pentalogy, known in China as the Crane-Iron Pentalogy, by wuxia novelist Wang Dulu. The martial arts and action sequences were choreographed by Yuen Wo Ping, well known for his work in The Matrix and other films.

Made on a mere US$17 million budget, with dialogue in Mandarin, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon became a surprise international success. After its US premiere at the Hawaii International Film Festival, it grossed US$128 million in the United States alone, becoming the highest-grossing foreign-language film in American history. It has won over 40 awards. The film won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film (Taiwan) and three other Academy Awards, and was nominated for six other Academy Awards, including Best Picture. The film also won three BAFTAs and two Golden Globes, one for "Best Foreign Film" as well as additional nominations for ten BAFTAs including "Best Picture".

Beautiful film. A-

Last edited by zingy on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:47 pm
Extraordinary

Fantastic, one of my personal favorites. Both Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi are awesome in this and the fight scenes are amazingly mezmerizing. Beautiful movie.

- A

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:54 pm
We had our time together

Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:06 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Over-rated.

Rubbish.

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Overrated to the fullest extent.

Sat May 07, 2005 8:48 am
Profile YIM
Christian's #1 Fan

Amazing and flawless. As beautiful as it is heartbreaking this is one film not to miss. Easily one of the best films to ever come out of China and one of the most flawlessly produced films ever. Highly stylized but highly grounded in reality in other respects.

A+

Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:45 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Absolutely spectacular and riveting. So many interesting and likeable characters, no less than two heartbreaking central romances, wonderful music, cinematography and art direction, and some of the most exciting and beautiful fight scenes ever seen on film. The beginning of my Zhang Ziyi obsession :wub: .

A most well-deserved A+.

Last edited by BennyBlanco on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Decent story, amazing fight scenes, but a bit underwhelming overall.

B-

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:34 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

One of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. On the visual level, it was gorgeous. The cinematography, the production design and the set locations are all gorgeous, but the screenplay is really bland, in my opinion. The cast does a good job overall, but no performance really stands out, not even Chow Yun-Fat's. The choreography is well-done, but I simply don't get into this whole "fyling and fighting on the treetops" style. Not my cup of tea. Moreover, I didn't find the plot to be really challenging or "deep" whatsoever". To me it is just one of those style-over-substance cases.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:46 am
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

It really did wonders for the Foreign Film and wire Fu movies. Its a breath takingly gorgeous film. The story is decent but that not really where critics went crazy for it. The beautiful martials ARTS(with emphasis on the art) really is beautiful being done against the chinese landscape. And Zhang Ziyi had a terrific performance in the movie.

Grade: A

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

Dissapointment.

Over-rated.

Rubbish.

D

You are a hernia that must be removed from the underbelly of society.

Anyway

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is one of the few films with the honour of being recognised as a top ten from me - My top ten has stayed pretty much the same since i watched Amelie; so its no easy feat for a film to get in - and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon rides high on that list.

Wonderful, dramatic, beautiful and damn near perfect.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
One of my all-time favorites - - remind me to put this on my lifetime top ten list too.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:27 pm

Post Re: Wo hu cang long [Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon]
While I don't deny what this did for further less successful (and equally mediocre) martial arts movies, I don't really like it. The thing plods along with all the zest and rush of a tortoise, which is exactly what you want in a cool action movie. I could certainly forgive the pace if it followed an interesting story and developed characters, however it does not. The situations outside of the now outdated (but still interesting) martial arts scenes are very dull and poorly constructed.

4/10or**or2/5orC-

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:52 am
Forum General

Post Re: Wo hu cang long [Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon]
I disagree the martial arts scenes are still pretty well done. They are done in a manner that is well above most martial arts films.

I agree the film is mostly about visuals and the martial arts. The story is solid but I consider something like Ip Man to be much better. It appears this film just caught our eye in the west and become a massive hit. The domestic gross is like 22+ million admissions.

Nonetheless, B+

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]