Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Notorious (2009) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Notorious (2009) 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Notorious (2009)
Notorious

Quote:
Notorious is a 2009 American biopic about the life of iconic hip hop star Christopher Wallace / Biggie Smalls / The Notorious B.I.G., who is played by Jamal Woolard. The film co-stars Angela Bassett as his mother Voletta Wallace, Derek Luke as Sean Combs, and Anthony Mackie as Tupac Shakur. Other roles include Naturi Naughton as Lil' Kim and Antonique Smith as Faith Evans.

The film was released in American theaters on January 16, 2009, by Fox Searchlight Pictures.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:45 am
Veteran

Post Re: Notorious [2009]
B. I think they got the portrayals of each rapper/artist really down (outside of B.I.G, Kim and Evans were really good). The story is conventional biopic stuff, which isnt unexpected but the ending I found to be a really touching tribute to the late rapper. I liked it.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:52 pm
College Boy Z

The story was solid (considering that there's only so much you can fit in two hours for a life like Biggie's), but what really made this great were the performances. I'd say almost everyone picked for the roles were spot on (especially Biggie, Lil' Kim and Faith Evans).

Really great movie.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:59 pm
Extraordinary

It was okay. The movie focused far too much on the drug dealing (which was also overblown) and not enough time on Biggie the rapper and phenom, for someone that goes in blind to the film, you really wouldnt walk out of the film having much of an idea of why the guy was adored by so many. The relationship between Tupac and Biggie was also handled pretty poor (and quite a bit biased).

B-

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:14 am
Forum General

Nothing special, and definitely not worthy of the changing the world themes they kept playing up.

Overdramatized and exaggerated scripting also hamper the movie and a general indifference to the main character and his some would call stupid actions. Just because he became a star and was assassinated early doesn't absolve him from the same laws that apply to all others.

Assault, abuse, bad parenting, adultery, possession- there's a reason why in some countries drug distribution is punishable by death and yet we have Biggie giving drugs to a pregnant woman because 'fuck it'. The fact that this is sort of a biographical documentary and not a fictionalized tale makes it all the more worse.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the actual movie and more the persona behind it, yet, you could feel the filmmaker trying to make you believe that after all of this Biggie was a thoroughly great guy because he had changed, fuck that narrative. The acting however was good by all parties, but, then again, why bother making a documentary about a guy who shouldn't be a role model for anyone?

With our world already having fallen into such a deplorable state, why encourage people that Biggie was someone to aspire to?

C

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:11 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Notorious (2009)
Claude Rains steals the picture imo

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]