Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 High Fidelity 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

High Fidelity 
College Boy Z

Post High Fidelity
High Fidelity

Quote:
High Fidelity is a 2000 American comedy-drama film directed by Stephen Frears and starring John Cusack and the Danish actress Iben Hjejle. The film is based on the 1995 British novel of the same name by Nick Hornby, with the setting moved from London to Chicago and the name of the lead character changed. After seeing the film, Hornby expressed his happiness with John Cusack's performance as Rob Gordon (changed from Rob Fleming in the book), saying, "At times, it appears to be a film in which John Cusack reads my book".

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:37 pm
College Boy T

One of the few adaptations that's as good as the book itself. Jack Black is the highlight of the movie, too ;)

A

Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:14 pm
We had our time together

Best John Cusack movie. He's so great here. Love this whole Top 5 stuff. A-

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

I never read the book, but I thought everyone was top notch in this movie. I have always been a John Cusak fan, and I applaud that he got a Golden Globe nomination, good movie. Jack Black is funny in a movie...the whole way through, who would have thought. He has only done that in Saving Silverman and this one.

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

One the most intelligent and funny looks at dating against a backdrop of music, 24 May 2000

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

Warning: does contain spoilers

Women, do you ever wonder why a man just can't seem to settle down? Do you ever cringe and shudder when you realize how vacilating men seem to be, and not just a few of them but all of them? Here you are, this beautiful, intelligent career orientated women and you are full of verve and love. And you think you've found the right guy and things are great. But then suddenly, apathy comes knocking on your door and now it seems that you have lost your man. Ever experience that or know how that feels? Well, so does this film.

Has anyone out there ever known someone that seems to be obsessesd with either the world of music or the world of film. I mean the kind of guy where he can tell you not only the name of a song from 1979 but who it was made for or what the flip side of that single was? Or a guy that can list his record collection in chronological order that they were bought? Well this film does know guys like this because they exist here, in this small record store in Chicago.

High Fidelity is one of the most original films to come out of Hollywood in quite some time. It combines the backdrop of music and the foreground of dating and both worlds are hilariously dissected and an honest attempt is given to help us all understand the cataclysmic world of one and the obsessive world of the other, you figure out which world is destined for which.

John Cusack plays Rob. Rob is a small record store owner that specializes in hard to find records, or better yet, records that the fascist staff think is worthy for people to buy. The other two guys that work there are pathetic in their own way. Dick and Barry are complete opposites but one thing that is clear is their love for music. Dick is a shy and submissive man that has many opinions but doesn't give them out as noxiously as Barry. Barry on the other hand, thinks mainstream music is the plague and only music he deams worthy is even permitted to cogitate about in the store. Any modicum, any scent of an artist like Stevie Wonder or Bryan Adams is frowned upon, God only knows what he would be like if Britney Spears was mentioned. These two characters provide much of the comedy in the but it is such an intelligent and original way to do it. It is refreshing to see comedy try something new every once in a while. I am not opposed to films like Road Trip and American Pie ( I actually like them very much ) but once in a while it is cleansing to see Hollywood come out with something original.

The crux of the film is about Rob's inability to stay with one woman. He can always find something wrong with them and this in turn causes him to break up with them or they seem to find him banal and they leave him. From these experience, Rob starts his top five list. This list consists of top five things about everything. Top five records about.. top five songs about... and top five breakups. Laura is his latest break-up and he does not want to give her the pleasure of admitting her to the top five so he goes on telling himself how worthless she really was. But as the film goes on he can't get her out of his head and wants her back badly. Now this is where most films take the course that is subscribed to as Romance 101. This is where scriptwriters set up the love interest, take it away, and then the rest of the film kinetically involves the one party proving to the other party that he is worthy of her. End of story, they live happily ever after. But High Fidelity is different. Laura is different. Laura knows what Rob is like, she has spent the last two years of her life with him and she is not going to come back that easily. And it is here that Rob goes on one of the most honest and complete journeys that I have seen a character go through. Sure he learns about himself and wants to change that, but it is what he learns about himself that is the fascinating part.

" Then I began to realize that they only have one pair of frilly red underwear. The rest is just regular cotton."

Rob begins to learn that the idea of the perfect relationship is just a fantasy, and in fantasies, nothing ever goes wrong. But eventually those fantasies turn into six month relationships and work is actually involved and spontaneous sex on the floor turns into sex on the weekend, on a bed, between the hours of midnight and one in the morning. It's not to say that relationships get stagnant and boring, but they are not sex on a first date either.

High Fidelity is honest, smart and incredibly original and funny in so many ways. But it is the honesty that I enjoyed about the film the most, well, that and Barry. After all, a film that can tell you why men are as mobile as they are and then can end it with a man that apparently has no talent singing his guts out and sounding like Barry White, well it is a treat. Films don't come out like this often and that is because they are smart. Smart is not easy to do in Hollywood.

9 out of 10 ( also look for a hilarious cameo by Tim Robbins )

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

One of my all time favourites I've lost count of the number of times i've seen it and it never gets old. Cusacks Rob Gordon is the most enjoyable music snob you could ever come across and the level of quotable lines is indecently high.

My favourite section
Customer: I don't have that record... I'll buy it for forty.
Rob: Sold.
Customer: Now why would you sell it to me and not to him?
Barry: Because you're not a geek, Louis.
Customer: You guys are snobs.
Dick: No, we're not.
Customer: Yeah, seriously, you're totally elitist. You feel like the unappreciated scholars, so you shit onto people who know lesser than you.
Rob, Barry, Dick: No!
Customer: Which is everybody...
Rob, Barry, Dick: Yeah...
Customer: That's a bit sad.

Thats pretty much everyone on this forum when it comes to movies whether we admit it or not and damn is it funny.

A+

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:57 pm
Mod Team Leader

One of my all time favourites I've lost count of the number of times i've seen it and it never gets old. Cusacks Rob Gordon is the most enjoyable music snob you could ever come across and the level of quotable lines is indecently high.

My favourite section
Customer: I don't have that record... I'll buy it for forty.
Rob: Sold.
Customer: Now why would you sell it to me and not to him?
Barry: Because you're not a geek, Louis.
Customer: You guys are snobs.
Dick: No, we're not.
Customer: Yeah, seriously, you're totally elitist. You feel like the unappreciated scholars, so you shit onto people who know lesser than you.
Rob, Barry, Dick: No!
Customer: Which is everybody...
Rob, Barry, Dick: Yeah...
Customer: That's a bit sad.

Thats pretty much everyone on this forum when it comes to movies whether we admit it or not and damn is it funny.

A+

So true. :hahaha:

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

One of my favorite things about being a movie fan is when you see a film, and immediatley after you get that feeling of "Oh yeah, that's going in my shrine." It's those experiences that more than make up for the disappointments along the way.

High Fidelity is raw, honest, hilarious, true, entertaining, the full package. Rob Gordon should also stand as one of the definitive joe male characters I've ever seen, with Cusack's performance just complimenting that. Screenplay is bril, just browsing through imdb's quote section on it along is stunning.

Really a perfect movie. Probably a new addition to my top 20, though it'll stir for a bit.

A+

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:21 am
life begins now

Cusack is great and the movie itself it good, but it never reaches beyond that for me.

B+

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:47 pm
Profile YIM
Dont Mess with the Gez

One of my all time favourites. Just came out of nowehere really, wasnt expecting all that much. Brilliant!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:32 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Hilarious, well-written and original. John Cusack and Jack Black are both great here.

A-

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:11 am
Profile YIM
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: High Fidelity
It's pretty standard stuff for the field, I thought. Cusack's playing the same affable loser he always does (really, I'd rather see him flail his way through shit like Con Air), and the script, while witty at times, never goes in new directions. I also didn't think it was nearly as quotable as you all did; I can hardly remember any of the lines from it.

Enjoyable, but forgettable.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]