Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Yi yi 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Yi yi 

Post Yi yi
Yi yi

Quote:
Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Chinese: 一一; pinyin: yīyī; literally "one one") is an acclaimed Taiwanese film written and directed by Edward Yang, about the emotional struggles of a businessman and the lives of his middle-class Taiwanese family in Taipei seen through three generations. The English title refers to how two Chinese characters for "one" (一) written in vertical alignment can be viewed as meaning "A One" or as a single character meaning "Two" (二).

The film won for Yang the Best Director Award at the 2000 Cannes Film Festival, where it also debuted

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: Yi yi
It's funny, if you're a film nut like me and keep score of a director's ouvre and when each movie was made or released, the chronology of it, to have started out what turned out to be Edward Yang's last film. It's also kind of a curse because now I'm dying to see more of his movies and it seems this is his only one that is easily available. Yi Yi, released in the year 2000, won the Best Director award at the Cannes Film Festival that year. The film takes us on a journey to Taiwan, and explores the life of a family from Taipei. It's really hard for me to write about this movie without giving it away for those who have not seen it. It's a beautiful masterstroke where every shot is amazingly constructed and thought out, full of long scenes and some wide shots. The mirror reflections that characterize the movie add a quality that's hard for me to describe beyond saying that at some points I was in awe. We see certain types of family celebrations throughout the movie, a wedding and a funeral among them, and the drama involves an accident that will leave a member of the family in bed. The director weaves such a story around this family and the actors who portray it give great performances. The kid who plays Yang Yang is possibly the cutest thing ever, and he will stay with you long after the movie is over.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Yi yi
very long, very good.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]