Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Ghost Town 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Ghost Town 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Ghost Town
Ghost Town

Quote:
Ghost Town is a 2008 American comedy-drama film directed by David Koepp, who also co-wrote the screenplay with John Kamps. It stars English comedian Ricky Gervais in his first leading feature-film role, as a dentist who can see and talk with ghosts, along with Téa Leoni as a young widow and Greg Kinnear as her recently deceased husband. Gavin Palone produced the film for DreamWorks Pictures, Spyglass Entertainment, and Paramount Pictures.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:16 am
Forum General

Post Re: Ghost Town
A Very Good ADULT Romantic comedy.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:46 pm
Forum General

so nobody else saw this, too bad, a nice movie.

PS. I think this was 90% liked on RT and for all that liked and were surprised by MISS PETTIGREW LIVES FOR A DAY would probably like this. Just a light enjoyable comedy.

A Good Date Movie if you don't want to see action.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:04 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

It was harmless and occasionally funny, but the tone was all over the place. And I'd forgotten that I'd even seen it. Tea Leoni looked amazing.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:35 pm
Wallflower

A hilarious and very charming movie. Loved it!

8/10 (A-)

Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:57 am
Extraordinary

yoshue wrote:
It was harmless and occasionally funny, but the tone was all over the place. And I'd forgotten that I'd even seen it. Tea Leoni looked amazing.

I agree with every word you wrote - - especially the part about forgetting seeing it - - plus, I forgot to even write a review here. (And yes, we do need to see a lot more of Tea Leoni...)

3 out of 5.

Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:33 am
Extraordinary

Just saw this. It was a nice little distraction, nothing special, but I agree that the tone was all over the place. Never found out what the naked guy wanted.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

a bit of a mess, but a very cute and well-acted movie. It plays kind of like a pre-21st century comedy, and I liked that. And man, Ricky Gervais is like the supreme example of a British voice so naturally funny that anything he says can make you laugh.

B+

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:25 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

4/10 -> D

It's all over the place and overly clichéd. It didn't help that Gervais' character reminded me a lot of Bob from Bob and Margaret. Dentist jokes was hilarious there. And Bob was a more fleshed out character than this one in here.

At times the movie is even annoying.

Sat May 02, 2009 9:29 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Not the first time I've seen it, but the first time I've reviewed it. Well, I love this movie. Gervais makes it work. There are about a thousand things that Gervais does and expresses that people will miss, and that US comedians (apart from maybe Larry David) just cannot do. Tea Leoni is dreadfully wooden and unattractive, but I suppose it doesn't matter too much since she is, at least in part, being romantically linked to Gervais. However, I would have preferred it if someone else played her role, perhaps a Halle Berry or a Leslie Mann. Kristen Wiig is surprisingly good in this film too.

I just love this film. The nod to The Prisoner of Second Avenue (1975) is a delight, however I didn't notice any others, although I am sure this layered comedy gem has more. Ghost Town is on a par with The Invention of Lying for me, so it's two for two for Gervais, and I'm eagerly awaiting Special Correspondents (alongside Eric Bana) and then the Brent docu-film, Life on the Road, which will surely be a comedy masterpiece.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]