Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The Women (2008) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

The Women (2008) 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post The Women (2008)
The Women

Quote:
The Women is a 2008 American comedy film written, produced and directed by Diane English. The screenplay is an updated version of the George Cukor-directed 1939 film of the same name based on a 1936 play by Clare Boothe Luce.

In the original film, most of the characters were Manhattan socialites whose primary interest was idle gossip. In the 2008 version, several work in the fields of fashion design and publishing, and the character of Alex Fisher is openly a lesbian.

A notable feature about this film was that the movie did not show a single male actor or extra, with the exception of the baby at the very end of the film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:10 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: The Women
This has been sitting on the shelf for awhile (and where it should've stayed) but thanks to SATC it was given new life. The Women is an unnecessary remake that has been modernized for todays man hating middle aged house frau. The point of this imbecilic adventure is that if your a self aggrandizing, family neglecting, cold bitch. Its not your fault that your husband cheats on you and your child turns to others for prepubescent advice, it theirs. With the only way to bring the family back together again is turn to self-fulfillment which will somehow magically make everything better.
If you really feel the need to watch this film do yourself a favor and Netflix the original 1939 version.

Grade D-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:50 am
The Lubitsch Touch

The Mr Pink wrote:
This has been sitting on the shelf for awhile (and where it should've stayed) but thanks to SATC it was given new life. The Women is an unnecessary remake that has been modernized for todays man hating middle aged house frau. The point of this imbecilic adventure is that if your a self aggrandizing, family neglecting, cold bitch. Its not your fault that your husband cheats on you and your child turns to others for prepubescent advice, it theirs. With the only way to bring the family back together again is turn to self-fulfillment which will somehow magically make everything better.
If you really feel the need to watch this film do yourself a favor and Netflix the original 1939 version.
Grade D-

Bah, that one's no good either.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:54 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

yoshue wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:
Grade D-

Bah, that one's no good either.

It's the better of the two. I say skip them both but if you had to watch one of them pick the original as it has actresses that can actually act.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:44 am
Wallflower

It's definitely a SEX & THE CITY knock-off, and it can't compare to that show/movie, but it's still pretty amusing. I was certainly never bored. My friend I saw it with LOVED it.

My expectations were low so I wasn't disappointed and it was better than it might have been. But I'm pretty easy to please.

I'd give it a 6/10 (B-)...

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:44 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

An annoying and seemingly endless knock-off of the far superior "Sex and the City," this film is watered down in lame melodrama and takes to every cliche in the book. Despite the incredibly strong cast, most of the actresses involved either fail to make an impression or are just downright horrible. Meg Ryan essentially plays a variation on the role that made her famous in the first place, but her character is incredibly unrealistic due to a lot of the decisions she makes and how utterly moronic she acts at certain points. Annette Bening is shockingly awful here and delivers a shrill, unlikable performance. For a prime example of how phony some of the scenes feel between these two actresses, take the cliched "forgiveness" scene near the end of the film - easily one of the worst movie moments of the year. The actress who played Ryan's daughter was also incredibly grating and I hated the second act that focused a lot on her. Eva Mendes is there to look attractive and doesn't really get anything else to work with - her character is paper-thin. Debra Messing is alright but underused, as is Jada Pinkett Smith - who supplied the movie's only laughs. The other actresses involved barely register, as they are featured in brief cameos that really serve no purpose. The direction is amateurish and feels like something out of a sitcom, and, as said before, the writing is made up of unfunny takes on "Sex and the City" jokes. Avoid this one. It's just not very good. C-

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:03 pm
Profile YIM
The Wall

4/10 -> D

It has its moments (though those come rare, almost if not intended), but it drags on and on and in the end it's a completely unnecessary movie.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

Like most films, this movie featured 3 main parts; the set-up, the turning-point, and the end.

I liked the first act. When it was introducing all of its characters and laying out the background. It was the only good moment with the interesting character of the whole film, actually. I enjoyed it. Then comes the second act, when 'the main plot' took the role. Things (out-and-in side of the story) got worse and worse. Actually, I don't remember if any of Debra Messing and Jada Pinkett Smith characters appeared on screen in this progress of the film. Unnecessary and pointless, these two characters have become in the end. And the other two characters that the film was focusing on have not just become uninteresting, boring but borderline horrible. Though, I'd disagree anyone who say Annette Bening and Meg Ryan were terrible in this film. In my opinion, the script is the solely part to blame. Characters aside, the plot went to nowhere. It played like another episode of some bad TV evening series.
The whole thing was just ruined in total form by the third act. Like someone here mention, all things worked out magically. Even I didn't find it to be the worst film I've seen this year. I could imagine why someone would give this film an F. What use of the first 'good' 15 minute if it was followed by an hour of boring, muddled, an awful film. D+

Oh, forgot to mention; Eva Mendes was just awful. And Bette Midler's cameo was totally a dreadful moment.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:50 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Lame and boring, everything you'd expect pretty much.

D

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:00 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

F

Probably the most horrible film experience in quite sometime.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:08 am
Wallflower

Oddly enough, customers renting this at my store seem to love it. I've only heard one negative reaction. The rest have been great. I'm certainly surprised.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]