Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Pineapple Express 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 17 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 16 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 40

Pineapple Express 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Pineapple Express
All kinds of awesome. The funny worked, the action including the climax REALLY worked (for me at least), Franco was godly and McBride and Rogan were both really good, and in general the whole thing was just great brisk entertainment. I'm not sure I get the main complaints with it becoming a ridiculous over the top action movie at the end, it was supposed to be that way, the movie is pretty much a total parody and play on on the run films, and then with that the end is a huge parody of the Hollywood model over the top blow em up climax... but I think DGG sees them fondly, it's all part of the fun in movies. I mean between the Rogan-Cole duel, the massive shootout with the asians, the explosions, the slow mo carry out, McBride living, it was pretty clearly intentionally blown up for that purpose, rather than just unknowingly succumbing to the cliches itself. I think in general the movie has been underestimated as a parody, I mean even some stuff like the "break up" between Rogan and Franco, or the girlfriend thing, and naturally Cole/Perez and the big bad dealers in town, are meant to be plays on what usually happens in these movies.

DGG's work here is pretty understated IMO... it's not flashy, but directing the action and fight scenes, getting the timing out of the dialog, and in general keeping the pace and feel of the film good and doing the little things (I loved for example the bit with Rogan-Franco in the forest in the morning, or the crying session after the break-up), is on him. I also liked how particularly in the first half of the film, he stays in one set and scene a lot. Franco's apartment, Red's place, the forest, all had at least 15 minutes in that one place, and then obviously there was the car chase and the climax... the movie was seperated into pretty noticeable extended scenes. I'm not sure if it benefitted or hurt the film, but it was a nice change.

Btw, I agree with bradley's assesment of this as a "bromcom", the Rogan Franco relationship was definitely inching towards buttsex. The buckle thing only confirmed DGG and Apatow were in on the joke. I loved it!

As a whole, right up there with the best comedies of this year. Comedy is not easy, I think as a first attempt DGG really made a nice transition here, I'd like to see him branch out more from his southern small town melodrama comfort zone, as good as he is at it.

4.5/5

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:16 am
Forum General

B-
Not as bad as the duo of KU and SB last year but not as good as FSM and 40YOV.
Apatow film trailers and Yates (Potter) film trailers make the film look great but actually they aren't.
This was mildly funny and a lot of the jokes for me were hit and miss.
It was a classic B movie and that's what it grade was, it clearly wasn't financed with a huge budget. Don't really know how some of you were laughing constantly as the jokes were kind of thin and didn't really crack me up like many other films. I wasn't high maybe, I don't think being high is a very good way to view a film to give it real grade obviously but to each his own.
Knocked Up and Superbad however aren't exactly B movies so when they disappointed I gave them worse grades.
Blah film overall, won't watch it again.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

PINEAPPLE EXPRESS - 6/10 (B-)

Disappointing. I actually hated it for the first 40+ minutes. It was really unfunny and took forever to get going. Thankfully it picked up quite a bit and ended up being alright overall. I'm glad I didn't end up seeing it in theaters.

Smiley Face (with Anna Faris) is a much funnier stoner comedy, and Anna's hilarious performance in that is better than any you'll find in this movie.

Most of 2008's big comedies have been letdowns, and "Pineapple Express" is no different.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:16 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Sweet Zombie Jesus sit down film!

Its all over the place, parts awesome and hilarious, parts shite and stab inducing. I'll just remember the first fight scene to keep happy.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:47 am
Extraordinary

I really liked it. I'm just not sure of the need for David Gordon Green here? But it was good.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:03 am
Teenage Dream

snack wrote:
I'm just not sure of the need for David Gordon Green here?

I'm not sure DGG himself has figured that one out yet.

I find Pineapple Express fascinating for a variety of reasons, but one of them is the question of the true auteur of the work it raises.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:18 am
Devil's Advocate

I maintain DGG's work here is the most underrated of the year.

Pineapple Express is as indebited to cinema and as much of a homage as Wall-E is. There's a fine line between making a generic on the run movie, which this would be with a different hack in charge, and making a full on superparody/homage of chase films, with the over the top in awesomeness explosions, goofy fist fights, ninjas, etc. Jim Emerson had a quote calling it a "What would I want to see?" type film, as in, if you were a bunch of stoners looking for a rad as awesome fun as possible film, what would you put in it. I would agree. As a film fan IMO DGG was aware of this

Naturally that's not all he adds, I think he gets just about everything right here that could easily go wrong (just for example, the girlfriend bits - How bad and cringe worthy faux serious would that be in anyone else's hands? Not here). All the pacing, editing, flow is perfect IMO. Directing comedy and action remains a black art

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:16 am

I found this movie to be fun on the whole but not much more. Hardly the best comedy of the year (try FSM, or TT, or even SB) but it was a rather entertaining and energetic experience. i didn't see much outside of the broad comedy though. I think most of the truly memorable moments were when the actors were just allowed to do what they do, Franco getting high of his weird types of bongs, Rogen at his girlfriend's parents house, that kinda stuff. But the action got in the way and didn't really add anything except confusion.
7/10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:18 am

Rorschach wrote:
Shack wrote:

. And the girlfriend bits only work because of Seth Rogen. If you had someone else in that role, that whole sub-plot would have sucked.

Disagree, I think it was a funny and ludicrous subplot that worked by design, and was improved greatly by Rogen.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:59 pm
Homo Dperious

Rorschach wrote:
Shack wrote:

Pineapple Express is as indebited to cinema and as much of a homage as Wall-E is. There's a fine line between making a generic on the run movie, which this would be with a different hack in charge, and making a full on superparody/homage of chase films, with the over the top in awesomeness explosions, goofy fist fights, ninjas, etc. Jim Emerson had a quote calling it a "What would I want to see?" type film, as in, if you were a bunch of stoners looking for a rad as awesome fun as possible film, what would you put in it. I would agree. As a film fan IMO DGG was aware of this

Naturally that's not all he adds, I think he gets just about everything right here that could easily go wrong (just for example, the girlfriend bits - How bad and cringe worthy faux serious would that be in anyone else's hands? Not here). All the pacing, editing, flow is perfect IMO. Directing comedy and action remains a black art

The thing is that most of what works in this film comes from the script and the performances. I don't think DDG came up with the idea of the 'awesome explosions', goofy fist fights, ninjas, etc. I think Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg came up with that. And the girlfriend bits only work because of Seth Rogen. If you had someone else in that role, that whole sub-plot would have sucked.

The pacing was actually one of the biggest problems I had with the movie, as it did drag at times.

The action could have been better, I'll agree.

I think the script and performances worked, but this was one of those movies like American Pie or Wedding Crashers (too a lesser extend I'd say) where the pieces came together. I thought the flow and the atmosphere were incredible. The thing about the script is that a lot of it could have come across as quite weird, and it could have stumbled. Think about the guy talking about surviving one shot after another, and reincarnation. Plus that final scene and quite a few others. Those all depended on getting the tone, pace, editing, and flow right. I won't say it was perfect, but when I saw it the audience was very engaged and laughing even when you might expect it to drag. Black art indeed.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:02 am
Profile ICQ
Indiana Jones IV

I liked it from the old school Columbia logo and polished black and white opening to the way we're dumped in this rollercoaster and expected to go along with it. And I coughed with it. The sight of Rosie Perez shooting that guy and then yelling "sorry" while in the middle of that car chase was priceless. The policewoman who was all willing to risk her neck for Saul and was all like I think I know who that bitch is... I was rolling. Ok, and did anyone else die when Saul and Dale wake up in the car and the battery's dead cuz of talk radio and Franco's Saul goes "the car just commited suicide"? Raul smashing his yellow Daewoo right on the black guy, who by the way I had no idea until I went through the making of, is the same guy who plays the bouncer at the club in Knocked Up. God and all that weed in Ted's hideout! It really looked like paradise. The two battles near the end played well against each other. I loved James Franco in this movie. And the Pineapple Express song at the ending credits.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

it's even funnier on a second viewing. I think the only problem is that the final third of the movie isn't as funny as the other stuff, so it feels a bit anti-climactic, despite the fact there's all the cool action at the end. But Rogen and Franco honestly make the most hilarious couple... I don't know how much of it was improv, but there were a few scenes that had me and my friends in tears this second go-around.

still an A

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

billiybobwashere wrote:
I think the only problem is that the final third of the movie isn't as funny as the other stuff, so it feels a bit anti-climactic, despite the fact there's all the cool action at the end.

Really? "Daewoo Lanos killed you motherfucker." was one of the high points for me. :funny:

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Another You

Like I predcited, this got less funny by second viewing.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 am
He didn't look busy?!

be.redy wrote:
billiybobwashere wrote:
I think the only problem is that the final third of the movie isn't as funny as the other stuff, so it feels a bit anti-climactic, despite the fact there's all the cool action at the end.

Really? "Daewoo Lanos killed you motherfucker." was one of the high points for me. :funny:
don't get me wrong, it was funny, but i was honestly in tears during the forest freak-out, it was so perfectly handled. the funniness climaxed a bit early, at least for me.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:51 pm
Profile WWW

billybobwashere wrote:
be.redy wrote:
billiybobwashere wrote:

don't get me wrong, it was funny, but i was honestly in tears during the forest freak-out, it was so perfectly handled. the funniness climaxed a bit early, at least for me.

don't you hate it when that happens. It was just getting going, you thought you could ride it all night, than bam, it's all over and the movies soft for the rest of the night.
:disgust:

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

I watched this again on Starz last night. I :wub2: this film.

"Dinner's gonna be cold tonight, asshole!"

"This is like if that Blue Oyster shit met that Afghan Kush I had - and they had a baby. And then, meanwhile, that crazy Northern Light stuff I had and the Super Red Espresso Snowflake met and had a baby. And by some miracle, those two babies met and fucked -this would the shit that they birthed."

"Enjoy your last meal."
[throws bills at Dale]
"Here, supersize it, bitch."

"You know you gonna die right?"
"Yeah..."
"I'm gonna kill the fuck out you... I hope you enjoy these last... 17 minutes of your life... cause when Ted gets here, he's gonna be like, 'Kill that motha fucker, kill that motha fuckin ass'... watch your head!"

Dale: You shot him?
Saul: nods his head
Matheson: Get your hands off me!
Saul: Shut up! we've had enough of you!
Matheson: I'm not your friend!

"So boring, man! The car just committed suicide."

"It's almost a shame to smoke it. It's like killing a unicorn... with, like, a bomb."

So quotable. I love it!

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4