Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Step Brothers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 10 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 24

Step Brothers 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Step Brothers
Step Brothers

Quote:
Step Brothers is a 2008 American slapstick buddy-comedy film directed by Adam McKay, produced by Judd Apatow and Jimmy Miller, and stars Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, who originally teamed up in Talladega Nights (2006). The screenplay was written by Ferrell and McKay, from a story written by Ferrell, McKay and Reilly. The film was released on July 25, 2008.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:02 am

Post Re: Step Brothers
Magnus wrote:

This summer has been all about the superheroes...but it's looking like it will end at being the summer of comedy. I think this, Pineapple Express, and Tropic Thunder are going to turn this summer into the greatest summer of comedies EVER.

Don't forget Hamlet 2.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:47 pm
He didn't look busy?!

I know a few people who have seen early screenings, and all of them have had good things to say. One called it Ferrell's funniest work to date. I'm excited for this one.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Anchorman is just about the dumbest yet funniest thing ever..

.. I expect nothing less from this.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:59 pm
College Boy Z

The bathroom scene is fuckin' hilarious. I died.

The rest? Very funny. It's a big step up from Ferrell's last two, Semi-Pro and Blades of Glory, which were both decent, but underwhelming. This manages to keep the laughs coming, even if it's not as hilarious as something like Anchorman was.

And yes, it's very, very raunchy. The drum part.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:25 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

I'm glad they went for the hard R rating on this, because had they went the PG-13 route this would've sucked. I found this to be funny yet very random, overall seeming to be merely a buch of skits loosely strung together. Also the premise of them being 40 year old children wore thin on me by the third act. I no longer cared about anybody on screen after that point so it really diminished the film for me. I used to like Ferrel but he's starting to fall into the one-trick pony category for me so thats not boding well for his future projects. Reilly again demonstrated his comedic talents, while I began to feel sorry for Jenkins and Steenburgen. Step Brothers isn't the worst film out there but its not the best comedy released this year either.

Grade B-/C+

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:59 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

The movie had a fair number of laughs and was Ferrel's best in a while. If you can get past the conceit of two 40 year old men living with their parents, it can be entertaining. The boats and ho's rap was pretty funny and Adam Scott was funny as hell. Ferrel and Reilly have good chemistry, but I think we knew that already.

There were two things about this film that really were not funny in the least. First, the sleep walking. That just seemed like 5 minutes of padding and made me hate the leads immensely. Second, the scene with Seth Rogan. I cannot stand really long farts and this one was especially dopey.

I think the film is worthy of a C/C+ with most of the funny parts shown in the trailer.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

This is the funniest of the Will Ferrell comedies, mainly because this one was not one the toned down for teen comedies his is accostumed to, but this was the real Will we like to see, in his R-rated glory. The scenes were well set up and the execution was hilarious. Good performance from everyone, and you learn something from this too. This is why Semi Pro failed because it had no reason to be R rated, it could have toned down, but not this movie, this was R-rated for a perfect reason, and it took great advantage of it's rating.

Grade - A-.

My sisters were cracking up throughout the entire film and an old lady applauded after Will sang his priceless opera song.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

scottof83 wrote:
This is the funniest of the Will Ferrell comedies, mainly because this one was not one the toned down for teen comedies his is accostumed to, but this was the real Will we like to see, in his R-rated glory. The scenes were well set up and the execution was hilarious. Good performance from everyone, and you learn something from this too. This is why Semi Pro failed because it had no reason to be R rated, it could have toned down, but not this movie, this was R-rated for a perfect reason, and it took great advantage of it's rating.

Grade - A-.

My sisters were cracking up throughout the entire film and an old lady applauded after Will sang his priceless opera song.

I disagree. I think this movie could have been toned down to a pg-13 rating and still been just as funny. The only reason that it was R rated was just using "fuck" a lot. Most of the time for pointless reasons, like in the scene where Ferrel/Reilly are told they need therapy and the house is being sold and they curse out their parents.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

The dumbest and most childish movie I have ever seen. Also the funniest movie I've seen all year. It's not great, and some parts aren't very good but when it's funny, it's fucking hilarious. It's all slapstick and improve and it works so well that way. B+. I can't give any away as the scenes are pretty classic, but basically : the ending, the scene during the credits, the bathroom scenes, the drum set scene and ya. Just, ya.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:43 am
I'm Batman

Will Ferrell is back to what he does best. Teaming up with Reilly was the best career move he could've made after making two duds in a row. Lots of laugh out loud scenes, with some chuckles thrown in. There is a period of the film where it drags, but it delivers big in certain spots.

- B

Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:56 am
Superman: The Movie

http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=31962

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:09 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

What happens during the credits?

Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:13 am
Superman: The Movie

Dale and Brennan take a helicopter back to the playground where the kids beat up on them and proceed to return the favor. Apparently something else happens after the credits but I left after that scene.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I don't think I stopped lol the whole movie.

Will was great but I really also liked JR.

so who would you marry, fcuk, and kill, lol!!!!!!!!!!!

and the vigina monolouges step brothers style, lol > I want you to live in my.......

and the sleep walking scenes, lol.....

just lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the whole movie.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:37 pm
Sbil

Extremely silly (this might just be Will Ferrell's silliest comedy yet, which is saying something) but also very funny at times. Ferrell and John C. Reilly both rebound from comedy misfires (Semi-Pro and Walk Hard, respectively) and make a great duo in this one. Richard Jenkins and the lovely Mary Steenburgen (she looks better now than she ever has) provide solid support, Adam Scott is suitably oily doing what seems to be his best Tom Cruise impression, and Kathryn Hahn comes out of nowhere with one of the most random characters in a movie ever (the hilariously inexplicable bathroom sex scene comes to mind). There are so many gags being thrown at the screen that not everything sticks (the sleepwalking stuff wasn't funny) but a lot of it is very funny. I enjoyed myself. B

Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:11 am
Forum General

Personally I liked the sleep walking parts.

The Kitchen / The Xmas Presents / Beating up the Step-dad etc....

The whole movie just rocked.

Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:14 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

It's funny. I laughed. And the movie really leaves nothing more to say.

I'd never want to watch it again, though.

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:43 am
why so serious?

Step Brothers is without doubt one of the stupidest movies I've seen in a while. It's also one of my biggest guilty pleasures in recent memory. Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay know what a flimsy plot they have from the concept, and proceed to make up for that by going for the laughs. The humor doesn't always hit (especially towards the end when the concept has started to wear thin), but it's absolutely hilarious when it does. Unlike Ferrell's Semi-Pro, this one actually takes full advantage of the R-rating. (And don't worry, Apatow fans: He goes a little further on his "promise.") Ferrell and John C. Reilly are a lot of fun to watch together, while some Apatow regulars pop in for cameo appearances. The movie rarely tries to advance its plot anywhere special or give us a reason to care about any of the characters, but it's all the more effective in just going straight for the laughs. It's certainly not going to change cinema as we know it, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. B

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:48 am
Forum General

fyi - the extra credits scene is about 3-5 minutes long and is well worth seeing.

Spoiler: show
Basically they beat the shit out of those 100 kids at the park.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 am
Christian's #1 Fan

It was funny, and very, very crude. Even I was cringing at some points and I don't cringe (normally).

B

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:47 am
why so serious?

The scene with Will Ferrell's testicles on the drum set is easily the grossest and most strangely hilarious thing I've seen since the nude fight in Borat.

It's a good thing that the studio didn't demand a PG-13 rating for this, because it would not have worked without the kind of completely R-rated humor it had. It's so gross and irreverant that it could make the Farrelly Brothers blush.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:38 pm
Extraordinary

Considering the talent involved this was a very average comedy movie - - it didn't excel like so many of it's brethern have these recent years. But one things for certain - - it made me laugh. Oh yes, it made me laugh.

John C. Reilly coming off his career topping turn as Dewey Cox, steps back to a lower key comic role as step-brother to Will Ferrell. Anyone who's ever had a family will surely find humor in their observations of the human relationship here. And personally, any movie that sees fit to employ Oscar winner Mary Steenburgen, who I fell inextricably in love with, lo these many years ago in Time After Time, is a winner in my book.

Sure, it'ain't no perfect movie, but it sure were entertainin'...

5 out of 5.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:38 am
On autopilot for the summer

Dam, did they dip Mary in Bronze for this movie?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:46 am
Extraordinary

BTW, does anyone remember the George Dubya Bush quote the film opened with?

It was gold.

Perfectly appropriate for the film, yet very uncharacteristic and still somehow entirely in character for the speaker...

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next