Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Mamma Mia! 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 11 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 14 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
D 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 38

Mamma Mia! 
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Mamma Mia!
Meryl Streep was shockingly mediocre here and her performance was borderline embarrassing. Amanda Seyfried was the only real standout.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:23 pm
Profile YIM
"no rank"

thompsoncory wrote:
Meryl Streep was shockingly mediocre here and her performance was borderline embarrassing. Amanda Seyfried was the only real standout.

Was she the one that looked like a fish?

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:24 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

loyalfromlondon wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

Was she the one that looked like a fish?

She was Sophie, the daughter. And the only one who didn't come off as a complete idiot during the poorly choreographed and executed musical numbers.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:32 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

So now all the Streep hate pours forth!?!?!

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:34 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Bradley Witherberry wrote:

Settle Down Bradford, here take your Meds its late bed calls.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:57 pm
Extraordinary

Gulli wrote:

Same to you Gullibull, quaff another bottle of Jamesons and enjoy your nightly fisticuffs with the neighbors...

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gulli wrote:

Same to you Gullibull, quaff another bottle of Jamesons and enjoy your nightly fisticuffs with the neighbors...

If I could quaff an entire bottle of that I'd be very impressed. Also I'm cool with my neighbours the Murphy's and the Lally's great people.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:26 pm
You must have big rats

xiayun wrote:
In a sense the problem is that the source material, i.e. the songs, is too good. The film itself didn't add much of anything to it. Just listening to the entire soundtrack is enjoyable enough, so you can't really go much wrong to begin with. That's the difference between Hairspray and Mamma Mia. The former has far fewer numbers of memorable songs, but the film elevated your enjoyment using the media freedom it has. The enjoyment for Mamma Mia, on the other hand, depends too much on its songs, and basically it worked despite of director's effort and choice, not because of it; I consider that a miss.

You take the words out of my mouth with this. That and your grade, I agreed completely.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Meryl Streep sounds like 100 seals being mustard gassed in a Chuck E' Cheese whilst a badly encoded copy of William Hung's Christmas CD plays through blown out speakers at full volume.

I had heard that this was "fun", but didn't feel it at all.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Michael. wrote:
i like how everyone says "greattt fun, had such a riot yay was so fun blahh blah" but then counters it with "but as a movie, not so good!" and gives it a crappy grade.

Like forgive me if im wrong, but its not our position as film goers to sit and critique the movie-making process, its our job to sit and critique the end product largely based upon our own enjoyment of it.

Its an obviously display of movie snobbery that this one gets a bit of a nose up from KJ but The Dark Knight gets moist in wet cum.

It's perfectly possible to enjoy watching a film that you know is utter shit, just as much as it's possible to hate watching a film you know is very good. It's why I'm perfectly happy watching Streetfighter: The Movie over a film like Requiem for a Dream. Anyone with any sense would acknowledge that Requiem's the better film, doesn't mean I'd pop it in the DVD player if I was looking to have a fun night in with a film.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:23 pm
Lover of Bacon

This, THIS is what becomes the biggest film in UK history, topping titanic?

What a f**cking mess, i loathed every second, i spit on this film. I can't even begin to quantify how much i hated it. I just don't get the great word of mouth at all.

D, easily the worst film i've seen this year. I should probably point out that i do actually like Abba and own a few of their albums.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:01 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Finally watched this one and really enjoyed it.

8/10

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:02 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B-

Well, this was really a big letdown. I used not to really like musicals much, but after the musicals revival started by Moulin Rouge! back in 2001, I kinda got into them. Now I really don't mind fun musicals like Hairspray or Dreamgirls and Mamma Mia! looked a lot like the former. The trailers always made it look like a perfect summer fun musical with its breezy and exuberant atmosphere. I like the songs (in a guilty please kind of way) and the cast seemed to have a blast too.

Well, the film itself was very much a mixed bag. It was not nearly as much fun as musicals like Chicago or Hairspray. So where was the problem? Meryl Streep certainly did her best here, giving life and energy to each of the scenes she was in. She's not a bad singer either. Amanda Seyfried successfully elevated herself with her role to the league of known faces/names (and went on to continue with success stories like Dear John or Letters to Juliet). The potential fathers (Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgard) were alright, though Brosnan really did not handle the singing scenes well. The locations in Greece were beautiful. So far so good...

I think the main problem lies with the musical numbers. The are just not nearly as energetic, fun and well-filmed as they are in comparable (but better) films like Hairspray. And since this is a musical, failing to produce engaging musical scenes is quite a fatal flaw. The cast and the locations still help the film to somewhat keep its promise about being a harmless somewhat entertaining fun flick, but it never manages to rise above that. The numbers are just too little creative and the whole direction is too sloppy for the movie to be anything more. A missed opportunity.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I thought this thing was fucking terrible.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:09 pm
Keeping it Light

This was great. Love the Abba music so I was perhaps easy to be pleased, I had a really good time with it. Seyfriend, who've generally not been a fan of before, is mesmerizing in this. My mind wandered a bit towards the end, but at several song highlights during the film I got a bit of the chills too. Very feel good and quite wonderful.

A-

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:06 pm
now we know

I was about to hit the download button, but I stopped. Argh! This just feels so much like a film you need to see on the big screen. I think it will be shit watching it on a laptop with headphones.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

The films is a pretty constant string of songs, so that give it a lot of energetic vibes, it's a typical musical basically. Every film is generally just better on the big screen and the surround sound especially helps with a film like this I think. But if you like Abba then this is a fun film you shouldn't miss really.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:23 pm
now we know

I'm indifferent towards Abba. But would totally get into it in a group setting where others are also partaking. I think I might leave it for now.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6