Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mongol 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Mongol 

Post Mongol
Mongol

Quote:
Mongol (Russian: Монгол) is a 2007 semi-historical war film directed by Sergei Bodrov. The storyline was conceived from a screenplay written by Bodrov and Arif Aliev. Producers for the film comprised Bodrov, Sergei Selyanov and Anton Melnik. The film is based on the early life of Temüjin, who later came to be known as Genghis Khan. Actors Tadanobu Asano, Sun Honglei and Khulan Chuluun star in principal roles. It is the first motion picture in a trilogy based on his rule over the Mongol Empire. The first premiere of the film took place on July 31, 2007. Mongol explores abduction, kinship and the repercussions of war.

The film was an intergovernmental co-production between companies in Germany, Kazakhstan, Mongolia and Russia. Filming took place, for the most part, in the People's Republic of China, principally Inner Mongolia (the Mongol autonomous region), and in Kazakhstan. Shooting began in September 2005, and was completed in November 2006. It was commercially distributed by Picturehouse Entertainment theatrically, and by Universal Studios Home Entertainment for home media. Following its release in theaters, the film was nominated for the 2007 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film as a submission from Kazakhstan. On July 29, 2008, the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack was released by the Varese Sarabande label. The film score was composed by musician Tuomas Kantelinen.

Mongol premiered in theaters in wide release in Russia on September 20, 2007. It opened in the United States in limited release on June 6, 2008 grossing $5,705,761 in domestic ticket sales. It earned $20,821,749 in business through international release to top out at a combined $26,527,510 in gross revenue. The film was technically considered a minor financial success after its theatrical run, and was generally met with positive critical reviews before its initial screening in cinemas. The second installment of the trilogy, provisionally titled The Great Khan, entered pre-production in 2008 and was planned for a cinematic release in 2010.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:45 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: Mongol
5/10 -> C-

Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:55 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Mongol is fantastic!

It's intimately epic - - I can't give it higher praise than that.

The storytelling is phenomenal - - it's been quite a while since I've seen a foreign language film where my memory of it is entirely in English. The story was so involving, so accelerating, so surprisingly fatalistic, that I was drawn into it as if it were my own. The cinematography is well beyond exemplary and teetering into painterly. The action scenes cut to the heart of the drama. The acting is Oscar worthy (that's if the Oscars themselves were Oscar worthy which, of course, they're not).

This little historical epic makes the recent LOTR adaptation look all the more like the juvenile interpretation it is. Take note of the director's name... Sergei Bodrov. You'll be seeing a lot more of it in the years to come.

...and this is merely the first part of a trilogy - - the early years of Ghengis Khan. I can't wait to see the rest of this brilliant film...

25 out of 5.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:36 am
Cream of the Crop

be.redy wrote:
5/10 -> C-

If you write me, don't write me with your bullshit nickname out of the Internet, so that I could track you down and rip you apart. Good Bye.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:31 am
The Wall

Ummmm. Yeah :roll:

Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

be.redy wrote:

Yeah, because I'm the only genius in the whole f$cking busines.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:10 am
Extraordinary

Rumpelschtiltzchen wrote:
be.redy wrote:

Yeah, because I'm the only genius in the whole f$cking busines.

I believe the problem is that there are too many geniuses...

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:22 am
You must have big rats

Heh, Can't believe no one apparently got Rump's quotes, especially with the latest one being so obvious (I got it after the first, though).

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Heh, Can't believe no one apparently got Rump's quotes, especially with the latest one being so obvious (I got it after the first, though).

Oh.

:funny:

Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I guess I'm not up on my Uwe - - but I still don't get the point of cluttering up this thread with it...

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:02 pm
Cream of the Crop

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
I guess I'm not up on my Uwe - - but I still don't get the point of cluttering up this thread with it...

I guess that's because I'm humor impaired.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:37 pm
He didn't look busy?!

It has a very similar story to "Gladiator," so I'll compare the two.

These two films chronicle the rise of a tough warrior in an ancient kingdom. One film became a $150m+ hit domestically and $450m+, whereas the other will probably finish with less than $25m around the world.

And in my opinion, these are two similar-in-quality films, so why is there such a huge difference? Because one's in English and the other is not? Regardless...

"Mongol" is undoubtedly the most visually stunning foreign film I have ever seen, and its incredible landscapes and settings trump that of "Gladiator."

The acting in "Mongol" doesn't quite measure up to the great central performances in "Gladiator," but the actors do a solid job.

While "Gladiator" has some heavier visual effects, "Mongol" puts its effects to better use, creating stunning small-scale (and one large-scale) battles with a limited scope but a beauty to them.

The stories and writing on both parts was pretty much equal in my opinion; both had great, almost-over-the-top dialogue.

One of "Mongol's" problems was that, despite only being a bit over two hours, it seemed to drag a bit towards the end, something that I never felt with "Gladiator."

"Gladiator" had some awesome battles, especially for its time, but as I said earlier, "Mongol" has these visually impeccable, borderline artistic battles where even the blood has a visual impact on the image...it's kind of like the way I felt about the "Kill Bill" violent scenes, except done with more of an aim for realism.

The ending of "Gladiator" was stronger and more definitive than that of "Mongol," but both were very fitting for their respective movie.

In terms of entertainment value, as surprised as I am to say this, the two films come out equal. Even though "Mongol" had the foreign language, the quiet inner-struggle, and the slow scenes working against it, it's a VERY entertaining film as you watch the future Genghis Khan run and fight his way around.

In the end, I might deem "Gladiator" a hair better than "Mongol," but "Mongol" deserves a hell of a lot more praise than it has gotten, and stands as one of the better sword-and-sandals epics AND biopics that I've seen.

A-

Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

At least Picturehouse is giving it a push and expanding it to 94 theaters this week.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Why is no one else going to see this awesome epic movie???

:wacko:

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:10 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I really want to see this film. Its doing very well here - made it into the Top 8.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:16 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

This film blew me away. Its one of the best period/biopic/action/genre/whatever you want to call films out there, dare I say its epic. Because if its not then its as damn close to one as you're going to get. The story is mesmerizing as it blends myth, legend, fantasy and truth into a truly engaging and enduring story. The story is so well done you actually feel sorry for one of the most brutal men who ever lived. While the cinematography is simply amazing. It captures the rugged beauty and brutality of the harsh enviroment in which our characters inhabit. I like Bradley's word for it painterly. This is worth seeing just for the way it looks.
For those of you who don't like reading your films this is a foreign language film that doesn't need the subtitles in order for you to understand whats happening. Everything you need to know is told through facial expressions and body language.

This is one of those films that should not be overlooked in theatres. If its playing near you go and see it.

Grade A+

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:49 am
You must have big rats

Mr Pink, you need to update your sig.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Mr Pink, you need to update your sig.

Funny you should say that. I was in the process of updating it last night and my power went off while I was half way through. It's updated now.

Now come on people go out and see this great film :thumbsup:

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:32 am
Forum General

I thought we would see Mongols charging through the Great wall of China and we get a slow moving story where a guy gets kidnapped like 100 times.

B...

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Watched it via Netflix Instant Watch tonight. Interesting but the unfinished nature of the film is inevitably frustrating. Kind of hilarious though that the film does show him getting captured seemingly countless times. I will see The Great Khan, the second part of the trilogy currently set for release next year.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:05 pm
You must have big rats

I'm not sure the sequel is still coming...

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Why wouldn't it? There's a Feb. 12, 2010 story from ScreenDaily in which the director states that production begins shortly in the same three countries the first one was filmed.

Last edited by Harry Warden on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:13 pm
You must have big rats

Harry Warden wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Why wouldn't it?

Because I can find no IMDB listing, no recent news on it and because it was supposed to hit the screens in 2009 as far as I remember.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Why wouldn't it?

Because I can find no IMDB listing, no recent news on it and because it was supposed to hit the screens in 2009 as far as I remember.

See edited post.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:14 pm
Orphan

Here's the story:

Quote:
Russian writer-director-producer Sergei Bodrov will be in Berlin on Sunday to unveil his upcoming directing and production slate, including The Great Khan, the anticipated sequel to his Oscar-nominated 2007 film, Mongol.

This second part of his Genghis Khan biopic will be shot in 2011 in China, Kazakhstan, Germany and Mongolia, and will be produced by Bodrov Film Production with the Us-based Tengri Production, Kinofabrika and Skady Lis’ new independent production and financing company Getaway Pictures.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next