Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Låt den rätte komma in [Let the Right One In] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 74%  74%  [ 17 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

Låt den rätte komma in [Let the Right One In] 
100% That Bitch

Post Re: Låt den rätte komma in [Let the Right One In]
A

Amazing movie.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:28 am
New Server, Same X

Really sweet, dark, tragic, romantic, great movie. I had little expectations beforehand, as I tend to do when a film is built up like this one. But it really lives up to it.

Loved the underwater scene at the end.

A-

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:51 pm
Hatchling

one of the real boring vampire movies.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:56 am
Cream of the Crop

Anyone read the book, guys? I've just finished it recently. And I think it's amazing! The adaptation never comes close. So much intense scenes removed, so much character development, motivation and relationships forgone. And of course the big twist - that was damn unexpected. And I didn't like how they've shrinked Hokan's role in the story.
Now I know why I didn't love the movie back then, despite all the critical praise, - I've felt like it's rushed and there's some more in this story they don't show us.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:55 am
You must have big rats

A

I just realized I have never posted my review...

Let the Right One In is not even a vampire story in the classical sense. Yes, it does have a vampire in it, but at the end of the day that's not what the movie is about. It's not horror, it's a lyrical coming-of-age drama which is actually quite similar to 2006's Pan's Labyrinth. Both deal with a child coping with harsh real life through a paranormal world. Let the Right One In tells the story of the 12-year old Oskar who is constantly bullied at school and befriends a new girl, the 12-year old Eli, who moved into his neighborhood with a man who is supposedly her father. Problem is: Eli is a vampire and is not supposed to become friends with humans. And her "father" is her supposed supplier of fresh blood, meaning that he tries to abduct people and draw their blood (which he is not good at).

While the vampire story is the main frame of the movie, its heart is clearly in the relationship between Oskar and Eli which is probably the most touching and heartfelt relationship I saw between two characters in a long long time. The two kids deliver amazing performances, especially for their age. In particular Lina Leandersson delivers a very convincing and layered turn as Eli who slowly starts to give in to her feelings about Oskar. At some point their relationship goes somewhere between friendship and love, but this is not a Hollywood movie and don't expect a lot of cutesy stuff here. Things are very complicated for both. With the Hollywood remake of the movie on the horizon, I really wonder how they are going to handle the whole thing there, since it's definitely not simple,
Spoiler: show
especially considering Eli is not even a girl...

Anyone going into this film expecting lots of vampire action and blood will be disappointed. Which is not to say that the movie completely neglects that department. There is some innovative blood 'n gore, one scene specifically recalling Two-Face from The Dark Knight. There are some vampire attacks and some interesting concepts about the vampire mythology. But all of this is not the movie's main focus and it's good this way. We've had many "normal" vampire movies in the past. It was time for something new and Let the Right One In definitely succeeds there. The relationship between the two characters that changes them both feels to painfully real at times that you actually forget you are even sitting in a vampire flick (though they keep giving very effective reminders every now and then).

If there's anything I would complain about is the ending. The movie somewhat suffers under the Return of the King syndrome as there are at least two moments towards the end when it seems that the movie is over...even though it's actually not. Yet. However, the final resolution of the story is probably not the best they could have picked (I'd have ended with the first "seeming ending"), but it's certainly a very logical closure to this movie that gives the viewer some food for thought.

Let the Right One In is a movie about its characters who are very well-developed and their touching and fragile relationship that is right on the brink between child-like/innocent and serious love/attachment. This coming-of age story is already very good as it is, but spicing it up with the vampire mythology gives it additional depth and also some few fun moments to boot. It's a very well-done movie that works as a poetic drama just as well as a thoughtful horror movie.

Go. See. Enjoy.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

watched this yesterday, thought it was allright. of course its not even close to being a horror masterpiece. for a really good "unusual" modern vampire film, watch guillermo del toros "cronos".

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:50 am
Profile ICQ
now we know

Not a great film. Quite boring. Though I suspect it is miles better than the US remake.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:51 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This is better than Cronos, although Cronos is also good.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

A+++++

Seen it over 20 times.

Bought the DVD release with theatrical subtitles i made sure of it.

Always be proactive

Animals are gods

Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:31 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

This is quite great.

A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump