Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Iron Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 64%  64%  [ 49 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 24 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 76

Iron Man 
Extraordinary

Post Iron Man
Iron Man

Quote:
Iron Man is a 2008 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name. Directed by Jon Favreau, the film stars Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, an industrialist and master engineer who builds a powered exoskeleton and becomes the technologically advanced superhero, Iron Man. Gwyneth Paltrow plays his personal assistant Pepper Potts, Terrence Howard plays military liaison James Rhodes and Jeff Bridges plays Stark Industries executive Obadiah Stane.

The film was in development since 1990 at Universal Studios, 20th Century Fox, and New Line Cinema, before Marvel Studios reacquired the rights in 2006. Marvel put the project in production as its first self-financed film. Favreau signed on as director, aiming for a naturalistic feel, and he chose to shoot the film primarily in California, rejecting the East Coast setting of the comics to differentiate the film from numerous superhero films set in New York City-esque environments. During filming, the actors were free to create their own dialogue because pre-production was focused on the story and action. Rubber and metal versions of the armors, created by Stan Winston's company, were mixed with computer-generated imagery to create the title character. Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures, the distributor, planned a $50 million marketing campaign for the film, which was modeled on Paramount's successful promotion of Transformers; Hasbro and Sega sold merchandise, and product placement deals were made with Audi, Burger King, LG and 7-Eleven. It Released on DVD & Blu-Ray Friday, November 14, 2008.

Reviews were very positive, particularly praising Downey's performance. Downey, Favreau and Paltrow will return in the sequel Iron Man 2, scheduled for release on May 7, 2010. Downey also made a cameo appearance as Stark in The Incredible Hulk. The MPAA has given this film a PG-13 rating for Some Intense Sequences of Sci-Fi Action and Violence, and Brief Suggestive Content.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: Iron Man
I might see this tomorrow or on Thursday.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:59 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

Yeah....... soooooooooooo... like this just totally fuckin' rocked something fierce.
This isn't your average run of the mill comic book film. Robert Downey jr. absolutely nailed Tony Stark. Just the right amount of smug arrogance and self deprication with a calm coolness and some serious ability to kick ass. The movie was well paced with the action falling into all the right spots. Favreau while still a little lacking in experience as an action film director really has reinvigorated the superhero genre.

Grade A

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:49 am
ef star star kay

I should have my own comment about this movie already..

had it been released here this week like the rest of the world!! :mad:

Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:24 am
Cream of the Crop

Saw it yesterday and I liked it :) Good CGI, lots of humour, the story is not bad, acting is ok. A solid B from me :)

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:21 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The Mr Pink wrote:
Yeah....... soooooooooooo... like this just totally fuckin' rocked something fierce.
This isn't your average run of the mill comic book film. Robert Downey jr. absolutely nailed Tony Stark. Just the right amount of smug arrogance and self deprication with a calm coolness and some serious ability to kick ass. The movie was well paced with the action falling into all the right spots. Favreau while still a little lacking in experience as an action film director really has reinvigorated the superhero genre.

Grade A

Glad you enjoyed it and considering how
Spoiler: show
Tony Stark makes a cameo in THE INCREDIBLE HULK, That I can't imagine the reaction for the HULK being any different than IRONMAN based on this alone.. This crossover thing is going to go over really well..

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

IRONMAN

I watched Ironman at a screening yesterday and let me start by saying there were 800 people that showed up for a theater that seated 465. The theatre did have a 600 seat but that was taken for that time slot for some reason. The line started at 1630 and I got there at 1730 with the film starting at 1930. I entered the theatre physically at just after 1900.

The casting of Ironman and Pepper and the airforce guy was Perfect A+ level for me. Robert downey brings a personality to this character that translates very well to film. He's created a persona, ego for this character. I'm looking forward to seeing him in at least 2 more Ironman films. The only part of the casting that was kind of weak was Jeff Bridges as his mentor/bad guy. It was okay but not great. Jeff isn't really a bad guy.

I loved the setup and short background that was presented showing Stark as this child genius and amazing engineer and later on as a type of playboy. The escape from the cave in his prototype suit was cool and touching with the doctor death as well.

The action scenes and early development of the final Ironman suit was fantastic, fun, and impressive all at once. His intervention in that "arab" town and cat/mouse fling with the air force jets was a beauty to watch. The final action sequence with Bridges in the oversized Ironman outfit was a bit weak but still enjoyable nonetheless.

Lastly, I loved how the film ended with Stark just admitting he's Ironman and the pre-end credits visuals were cool as well.

Grade - A

I'm going to have to reconsider the thread about the 75+ million opening after watching this and I'm eagerly looking forward to see this on a digital screen.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:12 am
We had our time together

I'm a bit disapointed. The movie wasn't as much fun as I hoped it would be. Downey was great in the lead role but especially in the second half the film dragged every now and then. The action wasn't worth mentioning and Bridges was a lame villian. B+

Last edited by Riggs on Thu May 01, 2008 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

The Incredible BKB wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:

Grade A

Glad you enjoyed it and considering how
Tony Stark makes a cameo in THE INCREDIBLE HULK, That I can't imagine the reaction for the HULK being any different than IRONMAN based on this alone.. This crossover thing is going to go over really well..

So far you're the only one who's mentioned that. So they better let the general public know or it'll be of no consequence.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:21 pm
Teh Mexican

eventhough it had a pretty lame villian and he was killed way to fast the movies it still awesome. Its easily one of the best superhero movies ever. Robert Downey Jr. is excellent.

A

Thu May 01, 2008 2:02 pm
The Wall

8/10 -> B

A very good opening of this years blockbuster season.

A funny and charming movie. It doesn't take itself as seriously as the new Batman, instead its just balancing between being serious and its comic roots and it works great for the movie.

I wasn't particularly awed by Downey Jr. He was good, but not as good as I was used seeing him. Paltrow seemed like she was bored throughout, while Terrence Howard and Bridges were fine.

The visuals are great. As a start of a franchise this movie turned out to be perfect. It certainly got me expecting the second movie about Iron Man and I was skeptic about this one a lot.

Thu May 01, 2008 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Finally! A summer blockbuster we don't need to be ashamed of!!!

Ironman is a man's story, not a boy's story like Spider-Kid or Toddlers of the Caribbean. It's a well told tale from start to finish, and Robert Downey Jr. brings the requisite game to the table - - he shows us what it means to be reborn.

...and the supporting actors - - C'mon!!! - - it's mind-blowing! Gwyneth Paltrow (yup! that Gwyneth Paltrow) as Pepper Potts - - that's just plain dream casting. Jeff Bridges soars as the bad guy. Terrence Howard as the side kick with room to grow. And of course, in a spectacular post-credits scene:

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick ("I'm here to speak to you about the Avenger Initiative") Fury!

Ironman stands as a great statement on war, weapons, and woopie - - yup! - - finally a superhero movie that didn't forget the humor. Let me get down on my knees and thank God/Stan Lee...

My special kudos goes out to director Jon Favreau, who brought this all together so perfectly.

All that, plus the best ending line in ages: "Truth is... ... (looks at cards) ... ... I am Ironman."

21 out of 5.

(Can't wait for the sequel!!!!!!!)

Fri May 02, 2008 12:11 am
Extraordinary

Bradley likes a movie sane people like. Can I be the first to say, holy shit?

Fri May 02, 2008 12:18 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Is there any actor other than Robert Downey Jr. that could have played Tony Stark without the movie being a giant turd? I don't think so.

Luckily, he is in the movie, and it's a lot of fun. Bring on the inevitable sequeling.

Fri May 02, 2008 12:21 am
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
Bradley likes a movie sane people like. Can I be the first to say, holy shit?

I'll bet it doesn't do gangbusters at the BO - - the kiddies* aren't goin' wanna see this again and again...

(*5 - 25 year olds.)

Fri May 02, 2008 12:26 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

:unsure:

I didn't stay until after the credits :tears:

But it was a GREAT movie.

9.4/10 A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri May 02, 2008 1:34 am
Killing With Kindness

Extreme awesomeness :yummy:

BJs Grade:

A 9.4|10

The movie rocked major, better than transformers in all ways imaginable, I can not think of a single flaw, with a second viewing I could easily see this film entering BJs exclusive elite of A+ movies.

Fri May 02, 2008 2:38 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I absolutely fucking loved this movie. RDJ owns the screen. He is funny, charming, engaging and he just breathes life the character Tony Stark. He is on screen about 90% of the time and this is clearly his movie. The best superhero film i have ever seen.

9.5/10

Fri May 02, 2008 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

An instant classic of the superhero genre, Iron Man starts off the summer season with a bang. It's a blast from beginning to end and provides just the right mix of action, comedy, drama and romance. The direction by Jon Favreau is flashy and stylish, and the film moves at a rapid pace that leaves you wanting more. The script is excellent, giving all of the characters a lot of development and featuring memorable dialogue. The cast is unanimously excellent as well. Robert Downey Jr. delivers a performance that should catapult him to the A-list. It's a role that reminds me of the first time audiences saw Jack Sparrow sail the open seas in Pirates Of The Caribbean. He exudes charisma and charm, and also gives the role a strong emotional center that gives it a heightened sense of realism. This is sure to be remembered as one of the year's breakout performances. Jeff Bridges makes a great villain, Terrence Howard shines as a potential sidekick and Leslie Bibb is fun in a smaller role. Gwyneth Paltrow makes a triumphant return to the screen as well in her first starring role in three years. She is lovable and fun to watch, and has great chemistry with Downey Jr. as well. Their relationship avoids many cliches of the genre, which was a pleasant surprise. This is one of the rare summer blockbusters where all of the elements seem to fall into place. It's a must-see, and I can't wait for the sequel. A

Oh, and it's worth seeing in theaters just to catch the new Dark Knight trailer as well, one of the most spectacular two-minute advertisements I've ever seen.

Fri May 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Profile YIM
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Well this was quite superb.

Humour - Check
Action Sequences that didn't bore - Check
Downey Jr owning the screen - Check

In a way this was like Batman Begins injected with a lighter tone and feel and man it worked! If the same team stays on board then roll on the inevitable sequel

Fri May 02, 2008 7:10 pm
Forum General

Riggs wrote:
I'm a bit disapointed. The movie wasn't as much fun as I hoped it would be. Downey was great in the lead role but especially in the second half the film dragged every now and then. The action wasn't worth mentioning and Bridges was a lame villian. B+

I thought it was very good - Especially his last line - I am Iron Man - LOL.

but I was alittle bored when he built the robot for the second time - alittle too much time on the building.

and this is probably one of the Jeff Bridges performances that I didn't like - he was abit boring.

but as expected Downey was great and Gwennie was good.

Fri May 02, 2008 8:50 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Absolutely FANTASTIC.. Even better was the fact that after the movie's credits rolled up the screen, only a 1/3 of the theatre got up and left and the rest stayed including the older crowd to see the Sam Jackson cameo and it was well worth it just to hear him mention the AVENGERS.. The humor was fantastic, the dry sarcasm from Downey was well done and the FX were top notch with a storyline that never bored you and kept your attention.. This and seeing THE INCREDIBLE HULK Trailer which got a great reaction was well worth my $9.00.. I give this movie an "A"..

Fri May 02, 2008 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

It's a very good film, but I'm not in love with it. Downey's performance is really the only thing that I'd say is great in an otherwise very good film. He's just perfect as Stark. There's no other way to put it. Based off of the previews I knew he was going to nail the egotistical/sarcastic side of Stark, but I was a little unsure of how he could turn it around and make him sympathetic. He does, and he does it with ease.

To get to my basic problems with the film though, I only have two of them. First, I wanted to see more of Stark the playboy. I know they were trying to move the film (the 112 minute running time flies by), but give me something more than a 36-hour window in which Stark can be a prick. Then again, I guess the concern would be, if they made him too much of a prick would they be able to make him likeable? My second is the finale. Lame I don't think is quite the right word to capture it. It's a little bit better than that, but not by much. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but the film and the character deserve better. Hopefully the sequel (which I can now not wait for) gives us a better finale. And on top of that, how about a somewhat better villian? Now I have no problem with
Jeff Bridges
performance (I think he's actually quite good in a supporting role). But there's nothing very creative going on here. He also gets to Stark way too easily.

However, the film is for the most part a winner. The visuals are fantastic. The fighter jet sequence is very well done and exciting to look at. I also liked the chemistry between Downey and Paltrow. And I also liked the film's sense of humor. With a grander finale, this could've been in the same realm as Superman, Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2 for the best supehero films, but ultimately it doesn't quite make it. I can't wait for the sequel though.

***½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri May 02, 2008 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

4.5/5

That's how you make a quality blockbuster people. Pitch perfect writing and acting, pretty good F/X, fun action scenes, great humor. Downey, Jr. probably gives the best superhero lead performance ever, and I was surprised at how well Paltrow as Pepper does here, she plays the conversations perfectly (and she's never looked better). Howard and the guy playing Agent Colson do pretty well too.

My only complaint would be the end of the climax with the exploding reactor and Bridges last "evil lines"... It was a little too typical superhero movie there, even though in the rest of the film, particularly that last fodder, kind of played on those cliches. I think it should've ended with the ice fall, and before that I think Jeff Bridges switches to "moustache twirling bad guy" mode a bit too quickly. Though then again, this is a comic book villain, that's just the way they are. I think overall the aircrafts vs Iron Man sequence is the most impressive action scene in the movie, that was pretty schweet.

The truth is... I am Iron Man.

Fri May 02, 2008 11:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

damn Jmart, you pretty much nailed exactly what I was thinking as I was typing it down. It was slightly flawed, but overall a great blockbuster to start the year.

Fri May 02, 2008 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next