Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Fight Club 

What grade would you give this film?
A 78%  78%  [ 18 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Fight Club 
You must have big rats

I don't think I've ever seen any grade below an A for Fight Club, but I thought it looked really hokey when it came out, so I never went to see it, and still haven't.

You are wrong.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:34 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

A masterpiece. Loved every second of it and the 2nd viewing only made it better. The ending had me thinking for a little, and the whole movie basically had me thinking. Some of the lines in there really make you think. Amazing film. Number 12 on my all-time list.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

A classic and easily one of the best movies of the 90's.

A+

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:23 am
life begins now

One of the best movie's of the 90s like many have said. It truely is a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

A

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:02 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Fight Club
Yeah, my grade has definitely gone up to an A+. This is easily one of my favorite movies and I get more from it every time I watch it. Fincher is a great director, but this is his crowning achievement, IMO.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:27 am
Profile YIM
htm

Doesn't anyone else find this film to be seriously heavy handed and, well, obvious?

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:39 pm
Squee

Possibly, but not quite up to the levels of say a Requiem for a Dream.

Not sure that can be topped.

:glare:

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Post Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
andaroo wrote:

Fight Club is the only film in the last 10 years you could not make since 2001.

I don't really really understand that statement...

bump

Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:31 pm
He didn't look busy?!

One of the best combinations of weird/unique and entertaining that I've ever seen -- great acting, great writing, great plot twists, great cinematic style...this is the best Fincher film I've seen, and I've seen most (the one large link missing from the chain is "Se7en"). It stinks this wasn't a hit in its own time, but luckily it found a following after theaters.

A

Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Another You

Everything about this fiLm from the performances, to the script, to the images is fucking groundbreaking. I think I'm pLacing it to my top 25 and possibLy an A+ grade upon fourth viewing.

A

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:37 pm
Forum General

Edward Norton :shock:

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Edward Norton :shock:
Eh, this was hardly one of his greater performances. He just needed to come across as very bored, and then add a little spice later on. They gave Brad Pitt a much more interesting part, IMO.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:56 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

He is a good actor.

He was the only one that made Incredible Hulk interesting and his performance as the leper King of Jerusalem in Kingdom of Heaven was creepy and outstanding. Lets not forget American History X as well.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Post Re:
Jeff wrote:
Fight Club
---

One of the most over-rated films ever. Predictable, uber-violent and quite silly. The entire premise is so far based in fantasy that it loses any connection with the viewer. While if one allows the sheer audacity of the filmmakers to insult ones' intelligence in such a manner to slip, it may be enjoyable, the intelligent movie-goer will see right through the film. The acting is superb, and the production quality is good, however the ending simply ruins everything. A twist merely for the sake of a twist, it adds nothing to the plot and, if one pays enough attention, is quite easy to discern. While far from the likes of last years cinematic disasters Catwoman and The Chronicles of Riddick, Fight Club truly is a bad film.

D

I stand by my earlier review. Although the grade is even worse on repeats.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:21 pm
Sbil

Jeff you are on crackkkkkk

Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:10 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Libs wrote:
Jeff you are on crackkkkkk

It is such a horrifically bad movie. I can't understand all the praise. OMG LOOK! It's a movie everyone loves! Must love!!!

It's like Juno. Except Juno was generally good.

Last edited by Jeff on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:03 pm
Team Kris

What's kitsch about Fight Club?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:11 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Christian wrote:
What's kitsch about Fight Club?

:oops:

Wrong word. This is why I should not type and talk at the same time.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:16 pm
Defeats all expectations

Post Re: Re:
Jeff wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Fight Club
---

One of the most over-rated films ever. Predictable, uber-violent and quite silly. The entire premise is so far based in fantasy that it loses any connection with the viewer. While if one allows the sheer audacity of the filmmakers to insult ones' intelligence in such a manner to slip, it may be enjoyable, the intelligent movie-goer will see right through the film. The acting is superb, and the production quality is good, however the ending simply ruins everything. A twist merely for the sake of a twist, it adds nothing to the plot and, if one pays enough attention, is quite easy to discern. While far from the likes of last years cinematic disasters Catwoman and The Chronicles of Riddick, Fight Club truly is a bad film.

D

I stand by my earlier review. Although the grade is even worse on repeats.

Maybe reading the original novel by Chuck Palahniuk on which the film is based can mitigate your dislike for the film. The book is v. "visual" which means it is readily translatable into visual media. And David Fincher and co. did a pretty good job capturing the "tone" of the novel. They did change the ending though, leaving a silent sigh in the end.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:45 pm