Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fight Club 

What grade would you give this film?
A 78%  78%  [ 18 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Fight Club 
College Boy Z

Post Fight Club
Fight Club

Quote:
Fight Club is a 1999 American film adapted from the 1996 novel of the same name by Chuck Palahniuk. The film was directed by David Fincher and stars Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, and Helena Bonham Carter. Norton plays the unnamed protagonist, an "everyman" who is discontented with his white-collar job in American society. He forms a "fight club" with soap maker Tyler Durden, played by Pitt, and becomes embroiled in a relationship with him and a dissolute woman, Marla Singer, played by Bonham Carter.

Palahniuk's novel was optioned by 20th Century Fox producer Laura Ziskin, who hired Jim Uhls to write the film adaptation. Fincher was one of four directors the producers considered; they hired him because of his enthusiasm for the film. Fincher developed the script with Uhls and sought screenwriting advice from the cast and others in the film industry. The director and the cast compared the film to Rebel Without a Cause (1955) and The Graduate (1967). Fincher intended Fight Club's violence to serve as a metaphor for the conflict between a generation of young people and the value system of advertising. The director copied the homoerotic overtones from Palahniuk's novel to make audiences uncomfortable and keep them from anticipating the twist ending.

Studio executives did not like the film, and they restructured Fincher's intended marketing campaign to try to reduce anticipated losses. Fight Club failed to meet the studio's expectations at the box office, and received polarized reactions from critics. It was cited as one of the most controversial and talked-about films of 1999. However, the film later found commercial success with its DVD release, which established Fight Club as a cult film. Critical reception of Fight Club has since become more positive as well.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:19 pm
loyalfromlondon

What an amazing movie. When you watch it for the first time, it's so utterly confusing that you just love it for its images. And then you watch it again, and you love it for everything. The performances, the story, the dialogue, and most especially the images are so... groundbreaking, that it makes the movie unforgettable. A neo-classic.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:22 pm
Veteran

It took me more then one time watching it to understand this fiolm. But it made its way very fast up to my top 10 list.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
George A. Romero

great story with an awesome ending. one of pitt's best

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:53 pm
Extraordinary

- A

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:55 pm
We had our time together

Brilliant movie. Stellar performances by Pitt and Norton. The story is awesome and I love it, every time i see it, even more. A+

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

A brilliant movie. i loved it. Good ending, ITS ALL ABOUT THE GOOD ENDINGS :wink: Love Brad Pitt also, cooooolness!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

---

One of the most over-rated films ever. Predictable, uber-violent and quite silly. The entire premise is so far based in fantasy that it loses any connection with the viewer. While if one allows the sheer audacity of the filmmakers to insult ones' intelligence in such a manner to slip, it may be enjoyable, the intelligent movie-goer will see right through the film. The acting is superb, and the production quality is good, however the ending simply ruins everything. A twist merely for the sake of a twist, it adds nothing to the plot and, if one pays enough attention, is quite easy to discern. While far from the likes of last years cinematic disasters Catwoman and The Chronicles of Riddick, Fight Club truly is a bad film.

4.9/10 (C)

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:01 am
You must have big rats

Modern masterpiece. David Fincher is not one of my all-time favorite directors for nothing. He has crafted two masterpieces within around five years (Se7en being the other one). Everything about it is pitch-perfect. The society critique is ingenious, Norton and Pitt are at the top of the game and the cinematography is breathtaking.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:06 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Excellent movie. Great performances by Pitt and Norton. Loved everything about it.

A

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:14 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I think I better go re-watch this film. Maybe I'll give it a better review then...

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:16 am
now we know

I think I better go re-watch this film. Maybe I'll give it a better review then...

YES! You do that....... [-X

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

As soon as I have a functional DVD player again I will.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:22 am
Lord of filth

IF YOU HAVNE'T SEEN THE FILM AND DON'T KNOW THE TWIST, DON'T READ THIS.

I love reading negative reviews about Fight Club.
RogueCommander wrote:
uber-violent

Like A Clockwork Orange before it, how is Fight Club more uber violent than even the film in your own avatar (Kill Bill).

Quote:
The entire premise is so far based in fantasy that it loses any connection with the viewer.

What do you feel the premise of the film is? I guess that's the question you really need to answer.

Quote:
While if one allows the sheer audacity of the filmmakers to insult ones' intelligence in such a manner to slip, it may be enjoyable, the intelligent movie-goer will see right through the film.

If you are talking about the mechanics of the twist, and if that twist is your entire reason for hating the film, the film has gone way over your head.

Quote:
A twist merely for the sake of a twist, it adds nothing to the plot and, if one pays enough attention, is quite easy to discern. While far from the likes of last years cinematic disasters Catwoman and The Chronicles of Riddick, Fight Club truly is a bad film.

The reason why you hate Fight Club seems to be you are caught up in the mechanics of the twist, and the twist is just a story telling device, but it is NOT what the film is about. Fight Club is not The Sixth Sense, the value of the film is not tied to the identity of the characters, the reason why people LIKE Fight Club is it openly talks about the darker and more violent nature of what it is to be male in a society that is emasculating men to a certain degree. Fight Club indeed takes an alarmist and a very aggressive stance on this issue but the idea that we are surpressing some hunter/gatherer type urge as the cause for modern unhappiness is at least an interesting concept to explore.

The dual nature of who Tyler is also allows us to see Tyler approaching the situation from the perspective of the extremist (Brad Pitt) and a man who realizes he has fallen into a trap but that the consequences are too much of a price to pay.

The entire movie is told from the perspective of one character. It's not like The Sixth Sense which takes place from a third party perspective. Fight Club takes place in Tyler's own mind, everything he relates to the audience comes from that narrative, HE CHOOSES WHAT YOU SEE. You are not watching David Fincher trick you into seeing things that are not there, Tyler is leading you down the path of his own madness. And this condition is real.

Fight Club is the only film in the last 10 years you could not make since 2001.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Interesting points. In response to your first question, I felt the violence was a little extreme. Given the plot of the film though, it does seem that anything less would be seen as not enough (if that makes sense).

My reasons for not liking the film delved deeper then just the "twist". I thought that was more of the final part of the film that just didn't work. Perhaps I didn't fully grasp the film and its hidden subtext and meanings. That may very well be, and as I stated earlier, I am more then willing to give the film a second viewing to judge that. It is not unusual for my physical mood to effect the way I view a movie, such could be seen with Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl -- a film I turned off as I thought it was quite boring and trite, but later re-watched and thought the film was, simply put, amazing.

And yes, the premise is based in fantasy but as I think about it, perhaps that is why the film is purported to succeed so well.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:35 am
Lord of filth

The fact that people lead multiple lives with multiple personalities that do not know each other is a real psychological condition.

Even though the events of the film are touched by Tyler's fantasy or imagining of what is going on. It doesn't mean the story could be classified as a fantasy, more as a delusion.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:04 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Fight Club is the only film in the last 10 years you could not make since 2001.

I don't really really understand that statement...

Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

FIGHT CLUB is interesting, fast paced and well acted. I loved the twist, they played it out really well. Amazing film.

10/10 (A+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed May 04, 2005 12:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

A sign of the times, 11 November 1999

Warning: May contain some spoliers.

I don't know if it is my generation that is more cynical or if it is just that I notice it more because I am part of my generation. Were 20-somethings in the 1930's or the 1950's just as upset and had the same at-the-end-of-their-rope kind of attitude towards life and all that makes it go round? I can't answer those questions because I am both too young to know and I also don't know enough about sociological histories of us as people to make an educated guess. But I can guesstimate rather intelligently that there is a good chance that people weren't quite as cynical as my generation is because there wasn't as much to be bitter and cynical about. I am not saying that people from past generations didn't have stresses and pressures but they certainly didn't have the same things to worry about that we do heading into the new millenium. Credit card abuse and subsequent debt is out of control, banks are bigger and more powerful than they ever have been, the job market is paradoxically increasing and decreasing at a rapid rate, capitalism is still a great thought and concept for those that capitalize on it but it is cumbersome and burdensome for most others, computers are again paradoxically a blessing and then again they may be the anti-Christ. The point is that there are so many new things to worry about now than there were when my parents were growing up. And a movie like Fight Club in some subliminal and metaphoric ways address these issues quietly and then in other ways it is not quiet metaphors that grace the screen but loud in-your-face opinions and facts that bombard you and forces you to ask yourself some tough questions. Movies like Fight Club don't come around too often and that is because not every movie or the people behind it have the intelligence and the audacity to ask such tough questions nor do they the smarts to make an entertaining movie to please the masses that may not want to see a deep film and nothing more. Fight Club is one of the best films to come so far this year and even if it is perhaps 15 minutes too long, I would rather see a film that has too much to say than a film that has nothing to say at all. Fight Club has a lot to say.

Edward Norton and Brad Pitt play two completely opposite characters that are some how attracted to each other, not in the sexual sense of course, but perhaps because they are such opposites, one lives vicariously through the other. For those of you that have see this movie, you will know how true that statement really is, for those of you that haven't seen it, you have to view it for yourself to really comprehend how true that statement really is.

Norton is a bit of a repressed, yet seemingly average society guy that just exists. His world and his life don't really go any further than his office and his apartment and his only form of social engagement is through the television and through self help groups that he begins to attend. He doesn't suffer through any of the symptoms that the groups suffer with but this is his way of expressing himself, his only way of letting go. Pitt plays Tyler Durden, a recluse who prides himself on living hard and living fast and having fun with what he has and laughing at what he doesn't. He is also incredibly charming, ridiculously smart and clever and he is in the best shape that I have seen a guy in that has been in the movies, think of Stallone in Rocky IV but slim him up some and you have Tyler Durden. He also has sex for what seems to be hours at a time and always pleasures the lady that he is with. Norton seems in awe of him and they form some sort of friendship, and that is how Fight Club starts. One night after a few beers they begin to fight after Durden tells Norton to hit him. So he does and they begin this nightly ritual and soon other people come to their underground hush-hush fisticuff display and they too are there to get their anger and frustrations out.

The rules of Fight Club are very strict, and I'm sure by now we have all heard that the first and second rule of Fight Club is to not talk about it. I, as a reviewer, and film lover, like that rule so I will not tell you anymore what the film is really about or what it encompasses and what direction that it goes in. Just know that if you pay attention to what the film is saying, you will get a lot more out of it than a bunch of guys pounding each other to a pulp. This film is very entertaining but moreso it is intelligence personified. It has opinions about our life, our lifestyle, our obsessions, our vices and almost everything that defines the times that we live in. I don't think I have really seen a film like this before and I applaud it for having the guts and the intelligence to challenge it's viewers to think. Sure, there are a lot of bloody and gory scenes in here but they are not really any more shocking than some of the other films that are out there these days. Too much has been made of that small part of the film when what should be told is how this film will make you feel as you leave the theater and how it will stay with you in the days and weeks to come. American Beauty did that to me and even though these are two different films, they have similar things to say but they just took different roads to get to a similar point. And both are two of my favourite films to come out this year. I hope this film does get some recognition at Oscar time, it is that good. Oh yeah, and it has a really neat secret, you thought Sixth Sense was clever in that way, wait until you see this one. It's even better, I think anyway.

In a year that has given us a lot of great films ( Blair Witch, Arlington Road, Instinct, Sixth Sense, American Beauty, Three Kings, American Pie and The Matrix just to name a few ) this is one of the best and it will probably make a lot of critics top ten lists. It has made mine so far and if the race for Oscar goes as it usually does then this film will get lost in the shuffle as most films that want to be remembered at Oscar time get released later in the year. But no matter, this is still one of the best this year and if you have avoided this film because of what you have heard about the violence, then my advice is simple. Ignore all that and go see it for what it has to say. You will walk out of the theater with a new look on what you see around you. But then again, do you want to do that or do you enjoy living in the bubble of naivete that this film claims we do? Think about it.

Wed May 04, 2005 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Fantastic Piece of movie, Great Story and wonderful acting!!

A

Wed May 04, 2005 5:59 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was a fantastic film. One that truly stays in your mind for a long time after watching it.

9/10 (A)

Fri May 06, 2005 7:41 pm
Profile YIM
Hot Fuss

Um, there's a reason I'm toting Marla Singer in my avatar.

This movie kicks serious ass. One of my all time favorites.

A+

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:19 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I don't think I've ever seen any grade below an A for Fight Club, but I thought it looked really hokey when it came out, so I never went to see it, and still haven't.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:23 pm
You must have big rats

I don't think I've ever seen any grade below an A for Fight Club, but I thought it looked really hokey when it came out, so I never went to see it, and still haven't.

You are wrong.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next