Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Jumper 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
D 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 22

Jumper 

Post Jumper
Jumper

Quote:
Jumper is a 2008 American science fiction film, loosely based on the 1992 science fiction novel of the same name by Steven Gould. The film is directed by Doug Liman and stars Hayden Christensen, Samuel L. Jackson, Jamie Bell, Rachel Bilson, Max Thieriot, Annasophia Robb, and Diane Lane. The film follows a young man capable of teleporting as he is chased by a secret society intent on killing him.

The script went through a rewrite prior to filming and the roles for the main characters were changed during production. Jumper was filmed in 20 cities in 14 countries between 2006 and 2007. The film was released on February 14, 2008 and a soundtrack was released on February 19. The film held the first position in its opening weekend with $27.3 million, but despite this success, reviews from critics were generally negative. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes recorded a 16% approval rating and 35/100 on Metacritic. Several novels were developed as tie-ins to the film along with a video game for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, and Wii consoles, named Jumper: Griffin's Story. The DVD was released on June 10, 2008, and both Christensen and Liman have spoken of one or more sequels.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: Jumper
D

Dreadful from go to wo. Nothing was explained. Hayden Christensen still can't act let alone narrate. Rachel Bilson is basically given the exact same two lines for the entire movie. "Who are you?" and "What aren't you telling me?". Samuel L. Jackson's looks dreadful with that grey hair.

On a positive note: The action scenes were great, but I wish Hollywood would stop dumbing these films down for us. AnnaSophia Robb is excellent, but shes only in it for like thirty seconds and in the end I didn't realise it was her.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:57 pm
Another You

I expected it to be just another popcorn fLick and not The Matrix so I'm giving it a grade higher than usuaL. The jump scenes were exceuted good enough though the quaLity of the f/x were average at best and the fight scene at the pyramid was simpLy atrocious. The story was nothing to care about and some characters were just unnecessary. Another of HoLLywood's tactics of bringing in a cooL concept and showing some great traiLers, then Leaving you nothing but SamueL L. Jackson's abysmaL gray hair and a 30 second sex scene.

B-

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:18 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Hayden is pretty to look at. That's about it. C-

Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:08 am
Motherfuckin' sexual

Strong hate in this thread. You three have convinced me to save my money.

Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:17 am
Profile YIM WWW
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

B+

Grade A entertainment. :yes: Jamie Bell once again out acts the rest of the cast. :2thumbsup: Bilson is not worthy. :grrr: Everybody else is solid. I love the scene when Bells character jumps like 5 times before crushing jackson under his iron fist. :guns: :strong: As i said before garde A entertainment. :shades:

Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

I thought the movie was pure fun entertainment. Doug Liman has once again made a great action movie that is fast paced and never boring. The SFX for the jump scenes were masterfully done. My only complaint is that I wish the backstory of the feud could have been extended to add another 10 min onto the running time. I hope it does well so they make a sequel.

A-

Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I had two good experiences when I went to see Jumper. The first was the new Indiana Jones trailer played before the movie. That was good to see on a big screen. The second is I laughed a lot during the movie. This might be the dumbest movie I've seen in quite sometime and that leads to many unintentional laughs. One scene in particular where Sam Jackson waves a spray can around so he can "jump" towards the end of the movie, had me on the floor. Many of the other laughs come from the awful performance by Hayden Christensen. He couldn't express an emotion in this if he wanted to.

And the film just doesn't make any sense. Once the narration stopped (not like it helped) and he became an adult, the film loses all sense of focus. And what the hell is Diane Lane doing in this movie. Did they really expect to make a sequel after this, because I guess they set up her character for later films? Just like with The Golden Compass, we will probably never get a sequel. What the hell were they thinking setting the film up this way?

Just awful.

½*

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie was a blast! Incredibly enjoyable and entertaining from beginning to end, thanks to an awesome concept and great direction from Doug Liman. Hayden Christensen is the only real weak link in the cast, but still does a decent-enough job. He needs to realize that these kinds of movies just don't work for him performance wise though. Samuel L. Jackson is convincing as the villain, and Jamie Bell and Rachel Bilson are both great - really making the film for me. AnnaSophia Robb is also worth noting in her small role. My only complaint? It should have been longer. I would have liked to have seen more development (especially with rushed characters - such as Mary Rice, where Diane Lane shows up inexplicably for about five minutes) and some longer action sequences. But otherwise, it's such a great time at the movies and I really hope it gets a sequel. B+/A-

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

The good? A few action scenes and Jamie Bell.

The bad? ... everything else.

C/C-.

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:12 pm

thompsoncory wrote:
This movie was a blast! Incredibly enjoyable and entertaining from beginning to end, thanks to an awesome concept and great direction from Doug Liman. Hayden Christensen is the only real weak link in the cast, but still does a decent-enough job. He needs to realize that these kinds of movies just don't work for him performance wise though. Samuel L. Jackson is convincing as the villain, and Jamie Bell and Rachel Bilson are both great - really making the film for me. AnnaSophia Robb is also worth noting in her small role. My only complaint? It should have been longer. I would have liked to have seen more development (especially with rushed characters - such as Mary Rice, where Diane Lane shows up inexplicably for about five minutes) and some longer action sequences. But otherwise, it's such a great time at the movies and I really hope it gets a sequel. B+/A-

i'm so disappointed in you right now.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:20 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Why me in particular? :P Others here loved it as well.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it though :( If it's any consolation I'm excited about seeing Definitely, Maybe tomorrow.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:32 am
Profile YIM

thompsoncory wrote:
Why me in particular? :P Others here loved it as well.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it though :( If it's any consolation I'm excited about seeing Definitely, Maybe tomorrow.

If your grade for D,M is lower than 27 DRESSES, then you have no credibility left.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:40 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm sure it will be higher. You don't understand, it's from Working Title Films - basically the studio I trust the most when it comes to romantic comedies.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:46 am
Profile YIM

thompsoncory wrote:
I'm sure it will be higher. You don't understand, it's from Working Title Films - basically the studio I trust the most when it comes to romantic comedies.

i find you unpredictably predictable

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:58 am
Sbil

Some decent special effects but quite bland and forgettable. Much of the film fails to make any sense and the lack of exposition doesn't really help matters. The terminally wooden Hayden Christensen fails to make his lead character interesting. He also has absolutely no chemistry with co-star Rachel Bilson, who gives a similarly flat performance (it doesn't help that the script gives her nothing to work with, as she mostly repeats the same bewildered line of dialogue the entire film); these two probably represent one of the more boring couples in recent film history. Their shortcomings appear even more unfortunate when their younger counterparts in the flashbacks, Max Thierot and Annasophia Robb, give performances of a higher caliber with no more than 5-10 minutes of screen time. Samuel L. Jackson and Jamie Bell do their best to add some life into the production by chewing on the scenery. Perhaps strangest of all is Diane Lane, who inexplicably shows up for about 5 minutes with a character who could've potentially added an interesting dynamic to the film if they had actually chosen to write her in. The movie isn't horrible (some of it is well-done), but it's instantly forgettable. C-

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:14 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Libs wrote:
Some decent special effects but quite bland and forgettable. Much of the film fails to make any sense and the lack of exposition doesn't really help matters. The terminally wooden Hayden Christensen fails to make his lead character interesting. He also has absolutely no chemistry with co-star Rachel Bilson, who gives a similarly flat performance (it doesn't help that the script gives her nothing to work with, as she mostly repeats the same bewildered line of dialogue the entire film); these two probably represent one of the more boring couples in recent film history. Their shortcomings appear even more unfortunate when their younger counterparts in the flashbacks, Max Thierot and Annasophia Robb, give performances of a higher caliber with no more than 5-10 minutes of screen time. Samuel L. Jackson and Jamie Bell do their best to add some life into the production by chewing on the scenery. Perhaps strangest of all is Diane Lane, who inexplicably shows up for about 5 minutes with a character who could've potentially added an interesting dynamic to the film if they had actually chosen to write her in. The movie isn't horrible (some of it is well-done), but it's instantly forgettable. C-

I agree with this completely but probably liked it a little more (B-/C+). I watched it at the drive-in with 27 Dresses right after it and have to say I enjoyed 27D more (surprisingly). Jamie Bell was the highlight of the film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:49 am
He didn't look busy?!

is this film the exact same thing as its trailer, stretched out into 88 minutes?

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:15 am
Profile WWW

Did anyone else find the scene in Chechnya completely inappropriate?

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:29 am
Extraordinary

I really liked Jumper - - though I'd prefer to see the director's-cut rather than this ADD-cut they're showing in theatres right now. Seriously, it's a super cool sci-fi concept/conceit that leaves plenty 'o room for exploration in the sequels. Matter of fact - - J2 is gonna rock!!! It's gonna be one of them Aliens/Superman II kinda sequels that blows the doors off the original.

Of course, I suppose it doesn't hurt that I've become a bit of a Hayden Christensen fanboy, what with two great performances in a row, with December's underappreciated Awake and now this!

...and need I say anything about Doug Liman? I think not. Though I will list his directorial credits:
Quote:
Untitled Moon Project (2009) (pre-production)
Jumper (2008)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)
The Bourne Identity (2002)
Go (1999)
Swingers (1996)

Yow!!! This guy is great!!!!! (Ooops, I guess that counts as saying something... my apologies.)

Yup, Jumper was a refreshingly vibrant take on the sci-fi-action genre, and I for one applaud this dynamic effort...

6 out of 5.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:38 am
He didn't look busy?!

At first, I was very positively surprised by this. The opening and buildup was very well-done. The childhood flashback was probably the strongest bit of the film, and the whole process of showing the gimmick was quite entertaining. It built up its plot very well, but things really came crashing down when they decided to cram the second half of the film into twenty minutes of action. This is a film that honestly should've been twenty minutes longer, and should've given more plot to the whole Samuel Jackson issue. Not to mention, the ending didn't have its morals in exactly the right place, because
Spoiler: show
Even though Samuel Jackson's guy was bad, that doesn't change the fact that the Jumpers were bad too - they stole money and shit - and that they ultimately won
. But the action was cool, the actors weren't spectacular (although Jamie Bell was very funny), and again, the opening was very strong. If it hadn't been for that disastrous "second half," this grade could've been positive.

C

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:26 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

and on another note, did anyone else see the new trailer for "Wanted?"

I didn't even know what it was until like two seconds before it was over. I really didn't like the first trailer, but this one was so unique and hits you so hard that it was easily one of the most awesome non-teaser-short-trailers that I've ever seen. The audience started to cheer when it was over. Amazing work by whoever put that together.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:30 am
Profile WWW
why so serious?

Dumb? Yes. Fun? That too.

In spite of its numerous flaws, I really liked Jumper as a form of pure dumb fun. The acting isn't all-out awful (which surprised me), there are some interesting elements to the story, and the action was pretty fun to watch. Jamie Bell stole the show, and if there is a sequel (for which the conclusion leaves the door wide open), I'd bet on him getting more screen time. The one flaw that I really find impossible to overlook is that at 88 minutes, it's far too short. We get plenty of material regarding Christensen and Bilson (both of whom surprisingly aren't totally wooden), but not much about the jumper/paladin backstory and when push comes to shove, the climax isn't as satisfying as one would hope. With another half-hour or so, this would have been a really solid movie, but as it is, it's solid fun, even if it is somewhat forgettable.

Grade: B-

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:31 am
Golfaholic

D for reasons I posted elsewhere in the forum

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:51 pm
Hatchling

Acting: Terrible, Story: Terrible

Thats enough to give this a D

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next