Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Psycho (1960) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 16 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

Psycho (1960) 
College Boy Z

Post Psycho (1960)
Psycho

Quote:
Psycho is a 1960 American psychological thriller film directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Janet Leigh and Anthony Perkins. The film is based on the screenplay by Joseph Stefano, who adapted it from the 1959 novel of the same name by Robert Bloch. The novel was loosely inspired by the crimes of Wisconsin murderer and grave robber Ed Gein, who lived just 40 miles from Bloch.

Both Gein and Psycho's protagonist, Norman Bates, were solitary serial killers in isolated rural locations. Both had deceased domineering mothers, and had sealed off one room of their house as a shrine to their mother. Both dressed in women's clothing and had multiple personality disorder. However, there are many differences between the fictional Bates and Ed Gein.

The film depicts the encounter between a secretary, Marion Crane (Leigh), hiding at a secluded motel after embezzling money from her employer, and the motel's disturbed owner and manager, Norman Bates (Perkins), and the aftermath of their encounter.

Psycho initially received mixed reviews, but outstanding box office returns prompted a re-review which was overwhelmingly positive and led to four Academy Award nominations. Psycho is now considered one of Hitchcock's best films and is highly praised as a work of cinematic art by international critics. The film spawned two sequels, a prequel, a remake, and a television movie spin-off.

The film is often categorized by multiple sources as a drama, horror, mystery and thriller film.

Better than the remake, though I wouldn't consider it a horror classic.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:27 am
Extraordinary

Making you the only one who doesn't. But you're right in a way, as the horror genre includes such garbage that it would be almost an insult to list this film among them.

Anyways, near-perfect except for that awful final scene where the doctor explains everything away.

But it's still an excellent film nonetheless. One of the best so far.

A

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:29 am
Profile WWW

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:20 pm
Sbil

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:35 pm
je vois l'avenir

I saw it today after not seeing it for like 5 years. It was our after school film for the Film Club, I'm President.

Anyways, I LOVE it, its perfection. The end, with Bates talking is amazing.

A

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:42 pm
Kypade

I'd probably not consider this horror, but it is nearly perfect.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:57 pm
Extraordinary

Interestingly enough, not my favorite Hitchcock. I always found his turn to the truly psychotic (pun intended) to be less intrigueing than what "normal" people do in certain situations. Its probably why Rope and Rear Window earn my top love. Psycho, will unforgettable, and excellent, started off well enough when Crane steals the money and ends up in the Bates Hotel. her own paranoia of getting discovered makes the viewer wonder if she's interpretting Norman's actions as odd, of it he really is odd. But after she's killed and her sister comes in, friend gets picked off, it just starts to be a run-around-the-house-screaming type fiolm to me. Granted an early one, so i don't discredit it, but it failed to hold my interest half way through as a psychological study, and evolved into a detection case.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:53 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Psycho (1960)
Hitch's best (from what I've seen). Terrifying and twisted, it's got one of the great misleading stories in film history as well as being one of the scariest movies ever made. It's obviously expertly directed, but it's driven by Perkins' iconic performance; truly, one of the great horror villains. Also, that score! What a masterpiece; I get chills every time I hear it. The shower scene wouldn't be nearly as horrifying without it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:28 am
Begging Naked

Who the hell voted F?!

Truly an amazing classic. Outside of the rightfully-much-dissed second-to-final scene, pretty much perfect (As Libs said).

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

the suspense in the film! wished they could films even 1/10th as suspenseful today, and that film would be great... A+, top ten!

I heard Hitchcock put in the doctor guy (who was boring) to clam people down but he scared everyone with that terrifying look at the end of the film by the villain... :funny:

Even though I have seen clips and parts of the shower scene, but if you watch it in its entirety, it was quite riveting...

Also when the dead mother's corpse was shown, I was having the biggest WTF moment ever, and then the guy runs in and makes me god WTF again... That scene wasn't scary but so unexpected that your left clueless and even lost. I was shaking my head in confusion for like a min after.

The part where i really freaked out is when they villian directly looks at you in the end. Chilling!

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Post Re:
dolcevita wrote:
Interestingly enough, not my favorite Hitchcock. I always found his turn to the truly psychotic (pun intended) to be less intrigueing than what "normal" people do in certain situations. Its probably why Rope and Rear Window earn my top love. Psycho, will unforgettable, and excellent, started off well enough when Crane steals the money and ends up in the Bates Hotel. her own paranoia of getting discovered makes the viewer wonder if she's interpretting Norman's actions as odd, of it he really is odd. But after she's killed and her sister comes in, friend gets picked off, it just starts to be a run-around-the-house-screaming type fiolm to me. Granted an early one, so i don't discredit it, but it failed to hold my interest half way through as a psychological study, and evolved into a detection case.

I'd agree; the quality of the film does diminish slightly in my opinion.... as much as I love watching it, I've come to realize that this is a "first half" film - the first have is masterful, while the second isn't quite as sharp.

Still fantastic, still one of the best... but there is a disparity between the two acts and I think it has to do with the shift in focus.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:01 am
Forum General

i think you left so lost after the main story just suddenly dies, that you hardly can focus on the new story and the new style....

Its like watching two different movies in one.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:17 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I'm sure that was Hitchcock's intention; I think it's one of the reasons why Leigh and not Perkins was prevalent in the advertising. Hitch made the audience think they're gonna see another one of his paranoid thrillers, this time revolving around Marion stealing the money, and instead we get one of the great villains in horror history. It's an abrupt shift, but it's accomplished masterfully.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:25 am
Devil's Advocate

I forgot to mention I rewatched this the other night for the first time in a few years, and yeah, its one of the best movies ... ever. Ive finally settled it, Psycho is my favorite Hitch. His finest direction ever (particularily in everything leading up to and including the shower, after that I definitley felt the shift, though its still great), and one of the most riveting films ever.

In particular I think the shower scene, the car in the swamp scene, and the conversation in the parlour are probably 3 of the best scenes of all time.

I knew I loved this before but with a rewatch Im certain, its in my top ten.

A+

By the way, has anyone watched the extra on the dvd about its release policy and strategy, where people were strictly not allowed in after the show started, with all the theatres having this warning and a `Dont tell your friends the ending` sign plastered everywhere? I thought it was hilarious. Apparantley it helped create the huge hit it was.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 pm
Sbil

Shack wrote:
I forgot to mention I rewatched this the other night for the first time in a few years, and yeah, its one of the best movies ... ever. Ive finally settled it, Psycho is my favorite Hitch. His finest direction ever (particularily in everything leading up to and including the shower, after that I definitley felt the shift, though its still great), and one of the most riveting films ever.

In particular I think the shower scene, the car in the swamp scene, and the conversation in the parlour are probably 3 of the best scenes of all time.

I knew I loved this before but with a rewatch Im certain, its in my top ten.

A+

By the way, has anyone watched the extra on the dvd about its release policy and strategy, where people were strictly not allowed in after the show started, with all the theatres having this warning and a `Dont tell your friends the ending` sign plastered everywhere? I thought it was hilarious. Apparantley it helped create the huge hit it was.

I seem to remember reading that Janet Leigh was essentially marketed as the star of the picture at the time (considering how high-profile of an actress she was), so killing off he supposed main character 45 minutes into the movie was just one of those things that *no one* expected, so...

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:18 pm
Squee

Perkins is captivating.

I often wonder how I would think of movies if I had not seen every shocking scene before. What if I had gone into this movie not knowing a damn thing? Would I like it even more?

Regardless...

Hitchcock's best.

:glare:

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:23 pm
loyalfromlondon

Well yeah, it was also because people just went into the movie at whatever time they wanted, rather then waiting for the time for it to start. I guess they didn't mind watching the second half and then the first half, but that's what they did. It seems so strange now, I would never walk into a movie that I wanted to see halfway and just start watching it. But this changed all that, can you imagine walking into Psycho halfway and trying to understand wtf was going on? :lol:

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Perkins is captivating.

I often wonder how I would think of movies if I had not seen every shocking scene before. What if I had gone into this movie not knowing a damn thing? Would I like it even more?

Regardless...

Hitchcock's best.

The first time I saw it when I was 10, I didnt know the mother twist... Shower scene, ok. But the mother thing was a pretty big shock.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:27 pm
loyalfromlondon

Squee wrote:

I think that all the time. Especially about something like Empire Strikes Back, I wish I could remember how shocked I was at that twist, especially since I don't think I knew about it beforehand.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:33 pm
Sbil

trixster wrote:
Squee wrote:

I think that all the time. Especially about something like Empire Strikes Back, I wish I could remember how shocked I was at that twist, especially since I don't think I knew about it beforehand.

Well, of course, there is the infamous example of The Sixth Sense.

I saw that in theaters opening weekend in 1999 (I recall it being abruptly added to the schedule, it was released the first weekend of August but that wasn't selected as its release date until like three or four weeks before) and was like "Hooooooooooooooooooooooly crap"

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:41 pm
Squee

Libs wrote:
trixster wrote:
Squee wrote:

Well, of course, there is the infamous example of The Sixth Sense.

I saw that in theaters opening weekend in 1999 (I recall it being abruptly added to the schedule, it was released the first weekend of August but that wasn't selected as its release date until like three or four weeks before) and was like "Hooooooooooooooooooooooly crap"

And I knew the ending before seeing it. And was like "Saw it coming. So predictable."

:glare:

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:43 pm
Devil's Advocate

Ive actually had most twists spoiled to me. ESB, The Usual Suspects, The Sixth Sense, The Crying Game. The biggest one other than Psycho which I cant remember my reaction to that much, was Memento... got me pretty good.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:48 pm
Begging Naked

I already knew everything about Psycho before seeing it, and seeing The Others first numbed the shock of The Sixth Sense (Still shocking, but still), so for me the great "Holy SHIT" movie moment for me was the entire final 5 minutes of original The Manchurian Candidate. Much less talked about ending, though shocking as hell if you don't know what's coming.

As for Psycho, freaking brilliant. I've seen it three times, and it just gets better with every viewing (A rarity for a film like this). The score in particular is excellent (Not just the strings, the theme is a great, iconic piece). Hitchcock, you magnificent bastard.

Last edited by Jonathan on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Oh yeah, the Others was a pretty big one too... that picture :whaa: I was pretty young then too

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:50 pm
loyalfromlondon

Still haven't seen The Others, but I had the twist spoiled for me. :mad: But this, Usual Suspects, Sixth Sense (well, all of Shyamalan's films), Se7en, I all got blind. So that makes up for it. :P

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next