Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 In Bruges 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 18 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27

In Bruges 
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: In Bruges
bABA wrote:
I liked In Bruges

But more importently do you like pie?

Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:07 pm
loyalfromlondon

Apparently this isn't coming out here until next Tuesday. What gives?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:37 pm
Devil's Advocate

What a brilliant movie... after some good reviews here I had expectations coming in, but it met and blew past them. I echo the praises of the script, it easily had some of the best dialogue I've heard in a film in years. It's no surprise McDonaugh comes with such a reputation. But I was most surprised by his directorial skills, he really nails the atmosphere and feel of beautiful Bruges contrasting the turmoil and actions of the characters, and his use of blood is quite strong. And of course the sign of a great director is the ability to get great performances from your actors, and that he does here in spades. It's by far Colin Farrell's career best performance, showing Ray's inner turmoil without stepping over the line of melodrama, and his comic deliveries are aces. Gleeson matches him with great layered, subtle work, and Fiennes' Harry is bril as always as not necessarily a villain or evil man, but rather one who simply lives by a principle.

And yes, it's damn funny... the greatest part of the comic side of it though is that it never feels like the movie's priming itself for a joke or asking the audience to laugh, all the humor feels completley believable within their conversations. And in spite of that, the movie and its moral dilemmas and musings of life still creates a movie that is extremely dark and almost depressing and mentally exhausting at moments, but it worked.

The score is also quite beautiful.

My only complaint, as yoshue said, is

Spoiler: show
The midget thing. Now unlike him I didn't see what happens at the end coming, but looking back over it, it does kind of feel like all the scenes with the midget (quite a few) were simply there because of the ending. I liked the ending itself, it worked in an ironic way, I just felt the film could've sufficed with a single scene showing there's a midget in town before that, instead of having five or six scenes with him that don't amount to all that much. Also, I thought the actor kind of sucked and as a result the character came off as a bit of a joke, but I guess it's hard to find actors of Ralph Fiennes' caliber in the midget world, lol. But the movie didn't feel too long so it wasn't a huge deal.

The best film of the year so far, and I'm sure it'll be in my top 5 or 10 by the end. I'm disappointed the critical world didn't latch onto this more, it kind of reminds me of how Black Book (another brilliant film) was ignored last year. If McDonaugh continues his film career, he's one to watch for sure.

5/5

Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:28 am
College Boy Z

Hmm, I actually quite liked it.

Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes, and Brendan Gleeson are all brilliant in here. I agree about the dialogue, great stuff. And this film, while more dramatic than the trailer makes it seem, it really fucking funny.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:26 am
Killing With Kindness

Zingaling wrote:

Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes, and Brendan Gleeson are all brilliant in here. I agree about the dialogue, great stuff. And this film, while more dramatic than the trailer makes it seem, it really fucking funny.

only 3 stars :er:

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:40 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Count me in as another pleasantly surprised viewer. It's a very dark, very twisted and ultimately hilarious film, with one of the oddest screenplays in a while, but it just works against all odds. And the performances are excellent, especially Gleeson and Fiennes ("YOU'RE AN INANIMATE FUCKING OBJECT!" :funny: ). As for the midget (No spoilers tags, since we really shouldn't need them), I thought he was one of the funnier parts of the film. His scenes were probably unnecessary, but I thought they ultimately worked. And I was pleasantly caught off-guard by the payoff, so it worked for me. All in all, easily the best film of 2008 so far. :thumbsup:

Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:04 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

BJ wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

only 3 stars :er:

Meh, I gave it a positive review, what do you want? :disgust: :P

Haha. I love the part where he's fighting with the couple in the restaurant and he's like "the Vietnamese, you know...the fucking Vietnamese!"

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:34 am
loyalfromlondon

Hilarious and witty, dark and existential, pointed and perceptive. It's a wild tonal mix of various styles that constantly keeps its viewers on their toes but also feels just right. The characters and dialogue are realistic and natural and yet the situations and setting are wacky and almost fantastical. There's a great tension between these two extremes that makes the comedy work, despite its distinct Eurocentrism, and the cultural references, while frequently offensive, are always on the money. Plus there's great themes of life and death and existence running throughout, capped off with one helluva dark ending, making it more deep and meaningful than something like Snatch, without sacrificing the funny.

Also, having actually been to Bruges recently made the film that much more interesting to watch, especially since all the big tourist sites are not just mentioned, but utilized as well. And it really is as beautiful and fairy tale like as it seems.

Best comedy in a while.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:59 pm
Us v Them

I like the german title:

"See Bruges and die."

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:56 am

fascinating mix of bloodletting and laughter

B+

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:21 pm
ef star star kay

Loved Brendan Gleeson, such a soulful performance he gave. Actually, I found everyone to be brilliant. A brilliant-acted, well-written this movie was, indeed. I liked the ending less than the rest of the film. I'd agree with everyone here who said it was pretty hilarious. But as funny as it is, it's also surprisingly touching at times.

A-

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:49 pm
Squee

I have to watch it a 2nd time (which I will) before I make my final decision, probably wasnt immersed as I could have been due to other stuff...

All I can say now is that it was good.

:glare:

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:47 pm
Kypade

skipping this in theaters will go down as one of my biggest movie-watching mistakes ever. : (

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:31 pm
Squee

kypade wrote:
skipping this in theaters will go down as one of my biggest movie-watching mistakes ever. : (

I really had no choice. It came to none of the theaters near me or near my brothers. And I really wanted to see it.

:glare:

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:32 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

One of the best screenplay's of the year. Exceptionally brilliant and well acted. In Bruges is a rare piece of comedic gold.

A-

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah this was a nice surprise - liked it in a different way than expected too. Great performances from all three leads as well as the supporting cast (Yuri cracked me up). Whats great about it is that it gets serious messages across even though it wraps them up in some lighthearted banter.

Oh and having been to Bruges (almost mistankingly) it made it all the more enjoyable:

BTW - the midget isnt Peter Dinklage as first thought.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:21 pm
Stanley Cup

I've now seen the film 5 times and love it more and more each time.

It might actually pass The Dark Knight by the end of the year as my favorite film this year.

A-

Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:40 pm
Speed Racer

Great movie. Loved how it mixed scenes of big emotion, laughs and thriller. The performances are great, especially by Colin Farrell. One of the best of the year and it should stay that way. I was very pleasantly surprised by it.

8/10 (A-)

Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:44 pm
The Wall

8/10 -> B

Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Fucking brilliant movie. Farrell deserves an Oscar for his part, he was pitch perfect. But it's not only him, Gleeson (who deserves a nod too) and Fiennes were great too. Actually, I loved almost everything about this film. The mood, the actors, the dialogues, the location, ... This seriously could dethrone Dark Knight for my #1 movie this year but for that, I'll have to see it again. A+

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I'm watching this again and I must same I love it even more.

I think Joseba linked a reviewer that hated it and the reason he hated it reminded me of why most who hate it have no idea about the average irishman. they assume the sharp angry wit is contrived but its just natural dubliner.

This film is so amazingly honest and hilarious to boot. I hope it gets a nom at the Oscars it deserves it.

Quote:
Original in name only, call it a Europe-set Boondock Saints--as complete a dismissal as I can muster for a flick. It's an airless, arrogant trainwreck that has nothing of itself that's original yet struts around throwing off snark like it has something new to say. Too good for action, its action is flaccid; too good for hip, its hipsterism is tired and obvious.

This is the film freak quote its hilarity to me is obvious. the reviewer has no idea how the irish operate and projects to an insane degree. And as for saying its hipterism well come to ireland you jackass and you'll see its honest.

Sorry im just being angry.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:09 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Colin Farrell deserves his Globe win in this dark but very enjoyable film. Him and Brendan Gleeson's chemistry is top-notch and the plot is one of the most riveting of 2008. When Ralph Fiennes cones on screen in the last thrity minutes of film, he doesn't miss a beat at all and brings in alot more comedic value to the film. The supporting cast is great also ranging from Clémence Poésy, Thekla Reuten, and Jordan Prentice. It's a must see and one of the hidden gems of the year. A-

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

jmovies wrote:
It's a must see and one of the hidden gems of the year.

Hidden? Certainly not here at KJ!

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
jmovies wrote:

I know that, but to the general public it isn't.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

jmovies wrote:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
jmovies wrote:

I know that, but to the general public it isn't.

So we agree then!

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next