Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters 

What grade would you give this film?
A 83%  83%  [ 10 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Post The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Quote:
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters is a 2007 American documentary film that follows Steve Wiebe as he tries to take the world high score for the arcade game Donkey Kong from reigning champion Billy Mitchell. The film premiered January 22, 2007, at the 2007 Slamdance Film Festival and has been shown at the Newport Beach Film Festival, the Seattle International Film Festival, the SXSW Film Festival, the TriBeCa Film Festival, the True/False Film Festival, the Aspen Comedy Festival, and the Fantasia Festival. The film opened in limited release in the United States on August 17, 2007, in 5 theaters, and by September 9, 2007, the film had expanded to 39 theaters in the U.S. Later in 2007, it appeared on the cable network G4.

The film's original title was simply The King of Kong but later received the subtitle A Fistful of Quarters. A scripted film adaptation is already in the works. Director Seth Gordon has said that the movie might be a sequel instead of a remake, telling the story of how the documentary changed both men's lives, as well as their continuing rivalry. The film's DVD release was on January 29, 2008.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Post Re: The King of Kong
Not just the best documentary I've seen from this decade, but probably one of the most compelling films from 2007, period. It takes you into this bizarre, out there subculture and completely gets you involved and rooting for and against these losers as they chase a seemingly foolish goal. Also fascinating is the subtext of the elitism that runs through this group, that seems to feel threatened by this outsider coming in and beating them at their own game. It's a common theme throughout society, and to see it continue here makes it never less than compelling. I loved it, easily in my Top 10 from last year.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

I agree with just about everything you said, except the word ''losers''. That's harsh. It really is a remarkable film. I watched it two times back to back, because by the end I wanted to revisit the people and places right away, spend more time with em. I loved it.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:35 pm
Begging Naked

kypade wrote:
I agree with just about everything you said, except the word ''losers''. That's harsh.

Hm, I wouldn't disagree with that. That's probably another one of the film's greatest pros, in how it shows complete interest in this odd subculture, only once really giving it a "losers" angle, and that's from the point of view of a -year-old that doesn't understand why the Guinness Book of World Records is a big deal.

Also, anyone else love that little episode involving the worker at Funspot that always wanted to reach the kill screen of Donkey Kong first? It starts off as kinda humorously. . .silly, but when Weibe does triumphantly reach it, that cutaway to the worker is actually almost a little sad. I really loved that part, just another brilliant aspect of it.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Grill

AH I want to see this sooooo bad.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:59 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Loved it.

A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:38 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

This movie had me shouting at the tv. Billy Mitchell is a legendary screen villain. Great, great fun, and definitely one of the best of '07.

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:06 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

yoshue wrote:
This movie had me shouting at the tv. Billy Mitchell is a legendary screen villain. Great, great fun, and definitely one of the best of '07.

They made him SO hate-able.

And they made Steve SO like-able.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:13 pm
---------

Liked it! Though in the end, it's pretty much a pointless film, but it's still very enjoyable. Billy Mitchell is hilariously evil. Some of those guys are quite sad.

B

Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:44 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

MG Casey wrote:
Liked it! Though in the end, it's pretty much a pointless film, but it's still very enjoyable. Billy Mitchell is hilariously evil. Some of those guys are quite sad.

B

It's a documentary on DONKEY KONG!!!

What point were you expecting to get?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:47 am
Team Kris

This made my top 10 of 2007. Just pure geek gamer orgasm.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:00 am
Extraordinary

I caught this the other day on TV and was really riveted by it. Seth Gordon (director) deserves an insane amount of props for that. Highly enjoyable.

Too bad it didn't do better, it's a film anyone can enjoy one way or another.

A-

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:11 pm
Begging Naked

Anyone else think that Maverikk is like, the Billy Mitchell of WOKJ? Something about that just clicked. Similar egos, similar cowardice, hell, similar haircuts! Kinda scary...

But yeah, I still love this. I would definitely not mind catching it again...

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Positive* Jon wrote:
Anyone else think that Maverikk is like, the Billy Mitchell of WOKJ? Something about that just clicked. Similar egos, similar cowardice, hell, similar haircuts! Kinda scary...

But yeah, I still love this. I would definitely not mind catching it again...

Christ, you sure do talk about me a lot, huh? Constantly thinking you know something about me, which is filled with complete ignorance, just like your Oscar knowledge is....

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:58 pm
Begging Naked

What did you think of The King of Kong, Mavvy? I doubt you entered this thread for any reason other than to review it. Isn't it great? :happy:

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Positive* Jon wrote:
What did you think of The King of Kong, Mavvy? I doubt you entered this thread for any reason other than to review it. Isn't it great? :happy:

I entered it because I had no idea what it was and was curious.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Guys - lets keep this thread about the film only. No need to make comparisons to KJ users.

The doco itself - I quite enjoyed it. Definitely one of the more enjoyable documentaries. Had no idea there was a whole subculture of gamers still playing 80s video games with tournaments, accusations and serious rivalries.

Grade: B+

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:07 pm
ef star star kay

Reminds me of Murderball. Highly entertaining documentary. Though did feel staged for few little point. But overall, a grand great film.

A

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:36 pm
loyalfromlondon

This is compelling, engrossing, hypnotic stuff.

It's amazing how much of a conventional, manipulative, 'fictional' narrative Gordon is able to weave with this story, and yet it feels totally natural and genuine. When Billy Mitchell's disciple continually calls him with updates on Steve Wiebe's score, it's just as hilarious and ingenious as if it had been scripted. Consequently, when Mitchell's taped video of his high score is allowed to take the world record from Wiebe mere hours (days? weeks? the film is decidedly unclear) after he set it, it's heartbreaking and powerful and infuriating. I wanted to throw something at the TV.

But, unlike the inspirational sports movies it's aping, this is not artistically bankrupt and utterly bland. Gordon's camerawork and editing is spot-on, capturing the everyman-like appeal of Wiebe as he takes on the Goliathian (I totally just made that word up) Mitchell and the empire surrounding him. Note that Mitchell is never actually shown playing Donkey Kong in the film - he merely lurks in the background, watching but never participating. He completely fulfills the role of the iconic figure built up as more than he is. I think it's important to note that Mitchell actually retook his world record following the completion of this film - this is totally unimportant to the film itself. He is the villain, and Gordon develops this perfectly.

So, yeah, terrific stuff. As scripted and exciting as conventional film and yet still carrying the hallmarks of documentary. Brilliant.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]