Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 The Bucket List 

What grade would you give this film?
A 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
B 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

The Bucket List 

Post The Bucket List
The Bucket List

Quote:
The Bucket List is a 2008 comedy-drama film directed by Rob Reiner, written by Justin Zackham, and starring Academy Award-winners Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. The main plot follows two terminally ill men (portrayed by Nicholson and Freeman) on their road trip with a wish list of things to do before they "kick the bucket." The film received its premiere on December 15, 2007 in Hollywood. It opened in limited release in the United States and Canada on December 25, 2007 and was distributed by Warner Bros.

The film opened in wide release in the United States and Canada on January 11, 2008 and was released in the United Kingdom on February 8, 2008, and in Australia on February 21, 2008. It received mixed reviews from film critics, but was a box office success, opening at the top of the box office, and grossing a total of $175.3 million worldwide.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

Post Re: The Bucket List
saw it today. Decent little film. Neither lead gives an Oscar performance.

B.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:07 pm
Stanley Cup

did u like how each act was exactly 30 minutes long

Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:17 pm
Forum General

The Bucket List is a decent little movie that boasts strong performance from it's leading cast of Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It's fault here is the script, which could use some tightening up and it could have been a really great movie. It's a very easy movie to watch, a movie that goes "in one ear, out the other" as some people would say. It's cute, it's fun and in the end, sentimentally sad. I recommend it. I have to say that WB is kind of screwing themselves over by releasing it in January, though. It would do great over the holiday season. It would surely have some very good word of mouth.

7/10 ( B )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

I found this to be rather pedestrian in nature, not great but not terrible either. The performances from Nicholson and Freeman are what makes this film watchable and had they had a better script and director to work with it may have been a great movie. The biggest complaint I have with this film is Freemans voice-over narration, can I have him in a fim that he doesn't narrate? I enjoy his work as an actor but jesus christ I don't need him to tell me what the fuck is going on when I'm sitting their watching the freaking film. My eyes work just fine and I can see whats going on and don't need him to fill me in on insignificant details and minutea, oh and his jeopardy bit became really annoying by the end of the film. All in all this should be a hit with the septugenarian crowd and just about no one else.

Grade
C

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:29 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Saw this a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. It was sweet and quite touching as well.

B+

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:35 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

I just got back from seeing it. I hope to have my review up in about an hour.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

The immense charms of Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman allow The Bucket List to overcome a somewhat cloying screenplay and rather pedestrian direction from Rob Reiner. Although the film features scenes of globe-trotting and exciting locales, its best moments are the ones in which Nicholson and Freeman just talk about their fears and uncertainties. Although Sean Hayes and Beverly Todd are solid in supporting roles, the film is Nicholson and Freeman's from start to finish. Screenwriter Justin Zackham's script follows most of the formulas one would expect and Rob Reiner doesn't add much more flavor to this than he did in Rumor Has It. I really enjoyed the sentimental ending, which actually works fairly well and doesn't go overboard on the cheese, however. This is an actors' film, and it is worthwhile to see The Bucket List and watch two seasoned pros develop such a nice rapport. B

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:13 pm

http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=31243

I think this is my first full review in about two months.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Someone tell me if I'm right about this. This is what I figured out after being bombarded by the shit trailer in front of every movie I've seen the past couple of months.

Freeman dies before Nicholson, and Nicholson uses that as motivation to finally get in touch with his long last daughter. I'm right, aren't I? Aren't I?

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:52 am

:funny:

Maybe

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Another B. The film is at its best when it's just Jack and Morgan talking about life, outside of their stunts, that when its the strongest. Reiner tries to pull some big "emotional" punches with it's score and some over the top moments, but it's rather enjoyable. It's for the two leads and nothing else.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:43 am
htm

Pretty sure makeshift would be insulted by this.

It's nothing special. The chemistry between the main players really elevates it - not much to say about it otherwise. Your standard, manipulative tear-jerker ending and such. It doesn't really go anywhere new for me....

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:56 am
He didn't look busy?!

A perfectly harmless diversion. Extremely predictable, but if it didn't follow the path it did, it would've sucked, so I suppose that was the best choice. Some of the humor around the beginning falls flat, but things pick up after Freeman and Nicholson (who really ARE this movie) get to know each other better. Some scenes could've been handled better, some could've been handled worse. It's fun, slightly heartwarming (although I, someone who tears up a lot at these kinds of movies, never felt like I was about to tear up) film, but it certainly could've been better.

B-

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

Good movie. But it works only because of charisma Nicholson and Freeman bring.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:33 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Count me surprised. It looked decent, but very generic to me. While it ended up being generic, I actually thought it was a bit better than just decent. Of course, it's Morgan Freman and Jack Nicholson who elevate this film a lot above average. It's their individual good performances, but most of all their interplay that makes this a very good watch.

I agree with Loyal that a better script and director would have done wonders to this film. As it is, it's very corny and quite predictable, but I liked it because of the actors and the surprisingly high amount of good humor. I admit I laughed several times. It's the emotional aspect of the story that mostly didn't click with me, though Freeman dying at the end, as predictable as it was, made me a bit sad, mostly because of Nicholson's on-screen reaction. What great actors they are!

Oh and I liked Sean Hayes' turn too, heh.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

THE BUCKET LIST - 6/10 (C+)

Kind of cute, but underwhelming. After the first couple of things on the list that they do I thought it got a bit uninteresting. And has been said before, the movie is very pedestrian.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]