Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 I Am Legend 

What grade would you give this film?
A 34%  34%  [ 16 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 19 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 47

I Am Legend 
Extraordinary

Post I Am Legend
I Am Legend

Quote:
I Am Legend is a 2007 post-apocalyptic science fiction film directed by Francis Lawrence and starring Will Smith. It is the third feature film adaptation of Richard Matheson's 1954 novel of the same name, following 1964's The Last Man on Earth and 1971's The Omega Man. Smith plays virologist Robert Neville, who is immune to a vicious man-made virus originally created to cure cancer. He works to create a remedy while living in Manhattan in 2012, a city inhabited by violent victims of the virus. The film's plot is an example of a "Last Man on Earth" story.

Warner Bros. began developing I Am Legend in 1994, and various actors and directors were attached to the project, though production was delayed due to budgetary concerns related to the script. Production began in 2006 in New York City, filming mainly on location in the city, including a $5 million scene at the Brooklyn Bridge, the most expensive scene ever filmed in the city at the time.

I Am Legend was released on December 14, 2007, in the United States, and opened to the largest ever box office (not counting for inflation) for a non-Christmas film released in the U.S. in December. The film was the seventh highest grossing film of 2007, earning $276 million USD domestically and $329 million internationally, for a total of $585 million.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:15 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: I Am Legend
Wow! What an incredible, compelling and intense film! I was blown away by how shockingly good this was, and was especially surprised at how creepy and suspenseful it remained throughout. I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. Francis Lawrence does a phenomenal job with the direction. Everything feels incredibly realistic and the abandoned New York City landscape is unmistakably eerie. And he knows how to establish tension as well, using very little nondiegetic sound and keeping things quiet and low-key - making the scares all the more effective. The production value on this film is just exceptional. However, the reason this film works so well is because of its star - Will Smith. This is one of his best performances ever, the kind of work that would likely garner him an Oscar nomination in any other kind of film project. He brings an incredible amount of depth and soul to the character and makes his mental deterioration fascinating to watch. There is one sequence in particular that is quite heartbreaking - near the end of the film when Smith realizes how alone in the world he really is. Because of the strength of his performance and the stunning direction, this film proves to be a massive success.

A-

---

I'm not going to lie, as a current resident of New York City, I felt a little apprehensive about walking home in the dark after leaving the theater ;) The reaction to the movie was very good overall, and people cheered when various nearby landscapes were shown onscreen. There were also quite a few gasps and screams during the jump sequences.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:40 am
Profile YIM
The Kramer

I read the book, loved it. This is not an adaptation of what I read. They jacked the name and ran to NYC. Besides the name of the lead character there is nothing similar about the two. Huge letdown. C-/D+

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:06 am
---------

Best movie of the year so far. Kind of like a creepy Cast Away. Interesting story, loved all of the tension. Will Smith also gives a great performance. Gotta say, I jumped like 7 times during this movie. It's dang creepy.

Grade: A-

I'm really wondering what the budget was on this, the sets were amazing! The zompires were OK, could have used some better effects though. Not too big of a complaint though.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:51 am
Extraordinary

First hour = very, very good
Last 40 minutes = very, very not good

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:45 pm
Extraordinary

Pretty much agree with Dark Shape....it goes off the tracks a bit once *spoiler*
Spoiler: show
The two other survivors come into play

Nonetheless it was still better then I was anticipating after the mix reaction, the first 2/3 or so of the film were very well done. Smith did a wonderful job I'd say, hit a lot of different emotions throughout the film convincingly. Had a problem with the last part of the film and how they went with a infected boss type like in a video game, there was no need for that. Still enjoyed it, very solid blockbuster as long as you aren't attached to the book you'll probably enjoy the movie more then you'll dislike it.

Grade - B

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

C-

Starts out great and slowly dies. Never read the book but I have no doubt that it is much better overall. Smiths acting was great though, I expect some buzz around him not sure he'll pick up the nom. though.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Wow I've never seen a BJ post like that before :zonks:

Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:47 pm
loyalfromlondon

I think the thing that has me most worried about the film is that all the reviewers refer to it as a zombie flick. I know you're all gonna say "oh, what's the difference" but the realistic approach to the vampires in the book is one of the reasons why it's so great. They're not just generic nocturnal creatures. Oh well. :(

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:56 pm
Killing With Kindness

trixster wrote:
I think the thing that has me most worried about the film is that all the reviewers refer to it as a zombie flick. I know you're all gonna say "oh, what's the difference" but the realistic approach to the vampires in the book is one of the reasons why it's so great. They're not just generic nocturnal creatures. Oh well. :(

they are most definitely more like zombies, and the CGI compared to even live free or die hard is terrible.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Shack wrote:
Wow I've never seen a BJ post like that before :zonks:

there is a first time for everything :thumbsup:

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

BJ wrote:
trixster wrote:

they are most definitely more like zombies, and the CGI compared to even live free or die hard is terrible.

So, did they get rid of all the stuff where Neville is trying to come up with a cure for them? Where he determines the scientific cause for vampirisim? Hell, do they even have bits of him killing them during the day with stakes?

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:20 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

trixster wrote:
BJ wrote:
trixster wrote:

So, did they get rid of all the stuff where Neville is trying to come up with a cure for them? Where he determines the scientific cause for vampirisim? Hell, do they even have bits of him killing them during the day with stakes?

I hope they kept that as well, hell even The Omega Man kept those aspects largely intact.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:26 pm
Killing With Kindness

trixster wrote:
BJ wrote:
trixster wrote:

They are zombies that cant go out in the sunlight, thats all, the book sounds way better :zonks:

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

It isn't that bad, really.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:37 pm
loyalfromlondon

I'm trying to decide if I should swallow my pride and go and see this alone tonight, or wait until next weekend when my friends are done finals. Hmm.... :(

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:39 pm
Killing With Kindness

kypade wrote:
It isn't that bad, really.

Indeed, for me is was mostly just a big disappointment even with my low expectations.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

trixster wrote:
I'm trying to decide if I should swallow my pride and go and see this alone tonight, or wait until next weekend when my friends are done finals. Hmm.... :(

See it, im relying on your review on whether to see it or not since we both read the book.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:52 pm
problem?

Really awesome beginning. Really awful ending. The quality dropped harshly once he met Ana and the kid, but by that point I was already getting a little bored with just having Will Smith. So I thought two others would make it great again for the final stretch, but they somehow ruined the movie for the remainder of it's time. The movie had some really great moments, but overall the execution was less than stellar.

ImageImage out ofImage

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:26 pm
Team Kris

This was by far the biggest disapointment of the year for me. I went in with such high expectations. Thinking this was going to be THE winter blockbuster. It had Will Smith, a cool Sci-Fi premise, great trailers, all of them leading me to believe this movie was going to be great. Nope.

The pacing starts off slow with Smith walking around a deserted NYC. I thought that there would be like 20 min of this and then the movie would get going, but that's all there is. No big action set pieces, no money shots, just Will Smith looking for a cure. Now if I had known that this is more of a thought provoking kind of movie going in, then I would be writing a different review right now. But for an "event" movie, it left me wanting so much more.

C-

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

You're not judging the movie, you're judging your expectations of the movie. You might want to re-evaluate, because that's really not fair. No Country for Old Men isn't a bad movie because you go in expecting Halloween.

Somebody told me the meaning of "I Am Legend" in the book, and a revelation Neville has in regard to the creatures, and it just blew my mind. I can't believe they didn't include that stuff.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:53 pm
Team Kris

The Dark Shape wrote:
You're not judging the movie, you're judging your expectations of the movie. You might want to re-evaluate, because that's really not fair. No Country for Old Men isn't a bad movie because you go in expecting Halloween.

Somebody told me the meaning of "I Am Legend" in the book, and a revelation Neville has in regard to the creatures, and it just blew my mind. I can't believe they didn't include that stuff.

Well most people go to movies based on the trailers and TV spots that they see. And when all they show action shot after action shot, you think there would be some damn action in the movie. Am I wrong? Can you imagine if after seeing all the trailers and hype around Transformers, and then the movie was some slow, boring POS like Cast Away. If that's your movie fine, but don't build it up to something it's not. I think most people seeing this today or this weekend are going in with the mindset of a Big Willie action blockbuster, and most of them will leave very disappointed.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Did they lie to you? It's not like the pulled a Dimension and filmed shots solely for the TV spots. Everything you saw is in the movie.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:31 pm
Superman: The Movie

KC wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

Well most people go to movies based on the trailers and TV spots that they see. And when all they show action shot after action shot, you think there would be some damn action in the movie. Am I wrong? Can you imagine if after seeing all the trailers and hype around Transformers, and then the movie was some slow, boring POS like Cast Away.

I Am Legend wasn't advertised like that at all. As a matter of fact the only action shots they do show have come in the most recent TV spots and even then, the action shots (freaky looking white people - I haven't seen the film - chasing him) don't come until the very end of each one. It's TV spots have been nothing like Transformers or any kind of film like that.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

I saw it in IMAX so the best part of the movie was the seven minute Dark Knight prologue. The movie is pretty good, although I had low expectations and haven't read the book. Smith gives a good performance and the city shots are amazing.

- B+

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next