Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 After.Life 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

After.Life 
loyalfromlondon

Post After.Life
After.Life

Quote:
After.Life is a 2010 psychological horror film starring Liam Neeson, Christina Ricci and Justin Long, directed by Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo from her original screenplay.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:10 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: After.Life
After.Life has a very interesting and intriguing premise though the way its executed is poor and filled with awkward and dragged out scenes. The idea of still being alive after being declared dead is creepy on its own and the creep factor is there some of the time in the film but the film still finds a way to be predictable and sometimes too off. Christina Ricci is fairly good here and really the film's only acting highlight whereas Liam Neeson comes across as too much of a creep and Justin Long is flat out terrible with his story just being poor. If the film expanded on its premise more or offered some better thrills, the film could of succeed. It doesn't though. *1/2

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Funny, after I watched it, I checked this forum and there were no threads on it.

I agree with most of what you're saying but really this movie is beyond awful. It's so godawful boring for one. No scenes have any tension, I hardly cared if Ricci died or survived. When they played the tense music my sole thought was, this doesn't do anything, the scene still sucks.

Justin Long is indeed quite dreadful in places and his storyline was uninvolving, but the main problem is the script and the direction. The director, apparently, comments on the Blu-Ray, about how smart the film is or some bullshit. Really? It's terrible. I don't care about any hints dropped anywhere. I saw Shutter Island a day before this and the difference is as wide as the gulf-and I didn't really like that either. So many nonsensical plot lines, Neeson kills over 100 people always using the white van and no one gives a shit? No one connects the dots? No one realizes that the deaths always seem to happen to someone who recently attended a funeral? Ridiculous.

How Ricci also doesn't stab him with the scissors also is idiotic, not to mention the fact that no one has ever tried to overpower Neeson? Are you kidding? How on earth do you believe a person who doesn't allow you to see anyone else that they're dead? It's completely full of shit and the director is full of it.

As the poll states, a big fucking F for this. One of the worst films in years. Trying to be smart and play the ambiguous line when your movie is full of holes, has terrible acting, dull characters, dreadful editing, illogical reasoning and poorly placed deception makes a woeful waste of time.

Don't bother checking this out.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:42 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I actually found this surprisingly solid. It's an interesting concept. It's not without its flaws, but it tries something different and I found it pretty intriguing. I suppose it doesn't hurt that I had low expectations after hearing how godawful it was.

7/10 (B-)

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:56 pm
Pure Phase

I agree with Mike. It's flawed, but also entertaining. I dug the concept. And Neeson is über-creepy here.

I do agree it could have been more...intense. Tighter. It can be too ponderous at times. And while I thought Justin Long gave a decent performance, his character's scenes were never very engaging. Oh, and a couple of the Ring/Grudge-esque "supernatural" images felt out-of-place. Almost as if the director was pressured to include them for later advertising purposes. lol

Overall, though, I am glad I watched After.Life. Solid horror movie.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:53 am
New Server, Same X

I liked it. Flawed no doubt. Terribly so. But it kept my interest. If only to make me wonder how on Earth Justin Long keeps getting dramatic work. Any work really.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:09 pm
now we know

Parts of this made me feel a bit uneasy. It's a good film. An interesting concept, with a richly macabre atmosphere. I love how it lingers the possibility of life right until the end. Liam Neeson is the perfect undertaker. Calm and reassuring. And Christina Ricci (naked!!!) is so fucking sexy.

Closing with Radiohead's "Exit Music" was a nice touch.

B

Wed May 30, 2018 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]