Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Extraordinary

Post Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Quote:
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium is a 2007 comedy film written and directed by Zach Helm. The film stars Dustin Hoffman as the owner of a magical toy store, and Natalie Portman as his store employee.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Hah. Nobody cares.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

MR. MAGORIUM'S WONDER EMPORIUM: 4/10 (D+)

Even after some really awful buzz and even worse reviews, I still expected to enjoy this movie. Needless to say, I didn't. The film itself ran about 93 minutes long and it felt at least two hours. Not a whole heck of a lot happened throughout the running time and what does happen is stupid and ridiculous. This could have been a pretty decent, fun kids movie. It fails on basically all accounts, though. The script is awful and I didn't laugh or smile even once. No, I lie. There was one moment in the whole film I actually really enjoyed. It dealt with Portman's character bringing Hoffman to the hospital so he wouldn't "go away." That was the only good moment in the whole film. One of my favorite actresses, Natalie Portman, was absolutely awful here. You can tell how bored she was. I don't know what made her want to do this. After Goya's Ghosts and this, she is in need for a comeback. Dustin Hoffman was even worse though and was incredibly weird and creepy. I hated this. Don't see it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

And I have to say the ending (as well as the tone of the film) was incredibly shocking and dark for a children's movie. When I saw this in theaters, during a certain scene, I heard a few children asking their parents if they could leave.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Where will you be?

movies35 wrote:
And I have to say the ending (as well as the tone of the film) was incredibly shocking and dark for a children's movie. When I saw this in theaters, during a certain scene, I heard a few children asking their parents if they could leave.

So I'm sure Hoffman dies, anything else?

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:11 pm
Forum General

MovieDude wrote:
movies35 wrote:

He basically kills himself. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Where will you be?

movies35 wrote:
MovieDude wrote:
movies35 wrote:

He basically kills himself. ;)

Basically is one of the worst words in modern English, care to elaborate for someone curious about how the movie ends who will never see it?

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:31 pm
Devil's Advocate

3/5

I actually thought this was pretty underrated. It's not perfect by any means, but it ultimately achieves what it sets out to do, and I enjoyed myself the whole way through.

One thing I liked was how it didn't need any exposition... It just lets us accept the shop and this world for what it is and gets on with the story. It's actually pretty original in that respect, there's some good creativity here with the stuff they come up with in the store. The script in general avoids ever going into cute or kiddie mode, and in general the dialogue is very believable and charming.

It's also pretty well acted. It's probably Dustin Hoffman's best performance in a decade or more(that's not saying much, but anyways), Natalie Portman is her normal charming self, and it was the first time I bought Jason Bateman as a leading man and real actor in his movie career, it's really the first time I've seen him play someone other than Michael Bluth. I also liked how they didn't force a romance between the two, most films predictably would, this one didn't need it.

While the movie itself isn't gutbursting, it did make me chuckle enough to enjoy myself (A cameo by a certain muppet made me crack for about 5 minutes), there's some good random humor here.

One more thing movies35, did you leave 30 minutes early? The ending isn't dark at all. :er:

Spoiler: show
Hoffman "dies"(really just leaves the world, again no clunky exposition is needed to say how, he just goes) in the 2nd act, the end of the film is Portman bringing the mourning and depressed store(it's alive) back to life and everything going back to normal. It's a happy ending.

This kind of reminds me a bit of a Stardust situation, where it's really under the radar and might pick up more fans on dvd, ultimately this film isn't nearly as good as that, but it might be just as underrated for the fact that NOBODY saw it (I saw it on a plane, I had no desire to before). It's certainly a much better film than say Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factor or Fred Claus or Alvin and the Chipmunks or anything else of the type released recently.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:50 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I still want to see this. Zach Helm wrote the wonderful Stranger Than Fiction so I have confidence in this project.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:28 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

No, I most definitely didn't leave thirty minutes into it, though I probably should have. ;) Sure, it had a happy ending but that doesn't mean the movie didn't have a dark tone. Kids were CRYING and telling their parents they wanted to leave even. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

It's decent and obviously comparable to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. However, those who thought that that movie was eccentric...well, be aware of this one since I found Magorium to be far more eccentric and offbeat. It definitely takes some time to get used to the whole set-up because the way it is, we are just presented with the fact that this is a magical store with magic all-around. There's no more explanation or elaboration, we're just thrown into this world and have to accept it. That was the part that was a bit hard for me at first.

The art direction is pretty beautiful here. Natalie Portman delivers another solid performance and Dustin Hoffman shines in his supporting role. The little kid who played Eric (?) annoyed me to be honest. No surprise he has no friends in the movie, heh. Jason Bateman is okay here, though I've seen him better.

Overall, it's a nice fairy tale, not too challenging, not too exciting, but full with nice visuals and it has its heart in the right place too. I wish it had gone on for a bit longer, though. Especially the future fate of Portman's character interested me.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

6/10 -> C

When this project was announced a few years ago I was looking forward to it. I like this type of movies.

Hoffman was good, if a bit too eccentric (in some scenes he would come off as a retard), Portman was fine, and Bateman was probably the best out of the three grown up leads. The little kid was by far the best character. He was just as eccentric as Hoffman, but much more believable and he had the best interaction with the rest of the cast.

Too bad the movie feels rushed at parts - maybe with some fine tuning this could've been a great kids movie.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]