Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Date Movie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
D 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
F 45%  45%  [ 13 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 29

Date Movie 
College Boy Z

Post Date Movie
Date Movie

Quote:
Date Movie is a 2006 American parody film, which was directed and written by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, two of the writers of the first Scary Movie. Much of the story line was based on that of the well-known romantic comedy My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Meet The Fockers. It stars Alyson Hannigan, Adam Campbell, Sophie Monk, Eddie Griffin, Fred Willard, Jennifer Coolidge and Mauricio Sanchez.

The film was panned by critics, but did well at the box office. The film was released on DVD on May 30, 2006. There is also an unrated version on DVD.

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:14 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Suprisingly good being that it comes from a semi-decent pedigree of the "Scary Movie" franchise which was only half-decent at best.

The plot is about as cliched as they come, but then again its supposed to be that way so there isn't anything to complain about there. The film mocks everything from Star Wars and Lord of the Rings to How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Kill Bill. There really is nothing left sacred, including yes Paris Hilton's "swimsuit" and burger commercial to reality dating shows.

The laughs are constant and non-stop through the beginning and first half of the film. It hits a plateau though about half-way through and gets stuck in a rut until the last 20 minutes or so.

Overall its a decent film, very funny. It certainly could have worked a little better from time to time, but it is enjoyable for what it is.

B

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:59 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Oh My God! I feel so sorry for Alyson Hannigan right now. I love her to death, but the film is appauling. The film is more generic than the films that are spoofed. I laughed quite a bit in the first half an hour but for the amount of jokes there was, you were probably supposed to laugh more. The rehersal dinner scene in which it turns into a musical is funny and the very last spoof at the end is probably the best part of the movie.

The spoofs themselves needed a lot of work, has a lot of the jokes that were forced an pretty unfunny. The Kill Bill spoof is probably the stupidest thing you will ever see.

I guess I had more fun in looking for the movies they were spoofing. Some obvious, some not so obvious.

A good idea, but we know who the funnier writers were for Scary Movie.

Because I love Alyson Hannigan so much, I can't rate this movie. Because I can't bring myself to type the letter D.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:26 am
Cream of the Crop

Funny, but not funny enough. Extremely short, too.

Grade: B-

Joy

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
htm

I didn't laugh nearly as much as I hoped walking in the door. It's disappointing- even for a B level raunchy PG13 Scary Movie rip-off.

D+

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:10 pm
Extraordinary

There's a reason there were four other writers on Scary Movie.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:32 pm
Sbil

A few very funny moments sprinkled throughout the production, but the ratio of unsuccessful jokes/parodies to successful ones is probably like 5:1...and it only seemed like they parodied My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Hitch, The Wedding Planner and My Best Friend's Wedding (with brief nods to When Harry Met Sally and Meet the Parents thrown in).

Alyson Hannigan somehow manages to retain her dignity fully intact throughout the whole thing, a large accomplishment.

Overall, good for a few throwaway laughs but one of the least memorable spoofs in a while.

C

Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:13 pm
Team Kris

I really do not understand the need to spoof romantic COMEDIES. They're funny and laughable (the bad ones) enough on their own.

D+

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:01 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

isn't the fun of this movie really to see how many movies they try to spoof? do they good a job at that????

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:03 am
---------

isn't the fun of this movie really to see how many movies they try to spoof? do they good a job at that????

Yeah, I want to know too. Don't they spoof Mr. and Mrs. Smith and DodgeBall?

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:04 am
Extraordinary

They spoof Mr. and Mrs. Smith with a quick Dodgeball references (not even really a spoof). But there are a lot of references I wouldn't even classify as spoofs. A Napolean Dynamite look-a-like shows up in the opening scene... but there's no joke. He's just acting like Napolean Dynamite. And an Owen Wilson wannabe wants to crash a wedding just before the credits... but again, there's no joke. It's like the filmmakers thought, "Remember Wedding Crashers? Wasn't it funny? We thought so too!"

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:15 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Gee, was I the only person who enjoyed this film?

Seriously just lighten up a bit. Its a stupid comedy, no worse then Dodgeball, which if you really think about it was pretty stupid anyway.

Oh well.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:51 am
problem?

Aboutthreefunnyscenes.Aboutathousandincrediblystupidscenes.D+

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:13 am
College Boy Z

I liked the spoof of Mr. and Mrs. Smith and a few others, but the rest of the film wasn't funny.

C

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:42 am
The Lubitsch Touch

You guys could have been relieved of a lot of pain and boredom (not to mention save some money) if you had just sat down, watched a commercial for this thing, and realized the level of idiocy this nonsense is playing on.

I would honestly rather die a horrible death engineered by whoever the fuck was killing people in Saw II than ever sit through something as obviously devoid of wit, intelligence and talent as this.
If you think that sounds somehow overdramatic or silly, let me just say that my mere 1 viewing of Scary Movie 3, surrounded by people laughing (!), sent me into a spiraling existenial crisis from which I am still not fully recovered.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:30 am
Devil's Advocate

Coming from the prime audience, I can safely say that I think Scary Movie 4 looks much more promising than this ever did. The series has also performed well in (IMO) every edition so far, so I doubt it'll be too disappointing.

Date Movie looked like drivel from the very beginning. And the ads? Awful. I agree with what Dark Shape and the original poster a while back about how it's all centered around "Remember this movie? We do too!". I'm a big fan of the SM series and I won't be seeing DM.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:47 am
Extraordinary

Seriously just lighten up a bit. Its a stupid comedy, no worse then Dodgeball, which if you really think about it was pretty stupid anyway.

Oh well.

Stupid's fine, but it wasn't funny.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:24 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Coming from the prime audience, I can safely say that I think Scary Movie 4 looks much more promising than this ever did. The series has also performed well in (IMO) every edition so far, so I doubt it'll be too disappointing.

Date Movie looked like drivel from the very beginning. And the ads? Awful. I agree with what Dark Shape and the original poster a while back about how it's all centered around "Remember this movie? We do too!". I'm a big fan of the SM series and I won't be seeing DM.

I agree. This movie looked like shite from the beginning. PAINFULLY unfunny shite.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Jeff(S). wrote:

Oh well.

Stupid's fine, but it wasn't funny.

Meh, I thought it was. It certainly wasn't brilliant comedy, but it was good.

Maybe its the fact that I really disliked Scary Movie 1 and 2 (the third was fairly good), and otherwise have avoided spoofs at nearly all cost.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:25 pm
New Server, Same X

You guys could have been relieved of a lot of pain and boredom (not to mention save some money) if you had just sat down, watched a commercial for this thing, and realized the level of idiocy this nonsense is playing on.

I would honestly rather die a horrible death engineered by whoever the fuck was killing people in Saw II than ever sit through something as obviously devoid of wit, intelligence and talent as this.
If you think that sounds somehow overdramatic or silly, let me just say that my mere 1 viewing of Scary Movie 3, surrounded by people laughing (!), sent me into a spiraling existenial crisis from which I am still not fully recovered.

You're smart, we get it!!

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:45 pm
Extraordinary

I'm not sure I would characterize a person who criticizes a movie they haven't seen, in a genre they don't appreciate, as being "smart"...

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:53 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

*Slaps Mr. X with one of those nifty white gloves*

Sir, I demand satifsfaction!

Actually, point taken, as I do know that some of my posts do indeed come off as more than a bit...snobbish, you could say.

That said, I don't think pointing out the stupidity inherent in this crap sundae is snobbery in the least.

As to accusations that I don't 'appreciate' the genre, the the movie parody has been a good genre for decades. Hell, even Scary Movie (the first) was pretty funny. You know why? It was actually satire, at least to a degree. Useless satire, as Scream had already mined that territory, but satire nonetheless; the idea was still to poke fun at modern slasher films. This and its Scary Movie sequel brethren (8 Mile! Signs! That's actually all I remember!) are more like Greatest Hits albums, no actual comedy required.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:38 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

also Clockward Orange the bum fight with the kicking included and even the way they ran away with the bottle

and Sweet Home Alabama > Tiffany's

and I think Shallow Hal

anyway, as this was the clear weeks winner in my poll > still not sure why more didn't pick or go to see Eight Below > this movie was exactly how the trailer laid it out.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Did anyone else think the Lord of the Rings spoof was horrible?

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:41 pm
Sbil

Did anyone else think the Lord of the Rings spoof was horrible?

Yes. Along with many other failed mockeries in the film.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next