Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Halloween (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
D 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
F 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 27

Halloween (2007) 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: Halloween [2007]
MovieDude wrote:
Halloween was the Star Wars of horror movies.

Yes, and out of spite, I want him to continue working on other films. If one of my films was touched, I want ones in other genres touched now too! I could care less about "Star Wars," so I want those tainted now -- basically, I want Zombie to come in and finish what the prequels started. lol.

Like I said, out of spite... :thumbsup:

If my fun is over, well out goes everyone elses!

----------------------
Gun,

That's not true. There are tons of people (hundreds to thousands) on Rob Zombie's myspace who love the film. :wink:

It's pretty mixed actually. "Hate it" pretty much constitutes 50%. "Average to great" constitutes the other 50%. Just because only two people here love it doesn't mean everyone online hates it. That's not true at all... I've seen more than two people who like, or love the film. There's many on the Halloween/Zombie sites alone. That's way more than two. The film also had decent exit scores theatrically, from the mainstream, believe it or not... Nowhere near as bad as one might think. Face facts: most people in real life aren't as attached to this series as internet dwellers tend to be -- but that goes for most films. They went to see the film for a fun night out. Nothing more...

----------------------------

It is true that Rob Zombie is able to bring out anger in people that I barely see when it comes to movies. Here's hoping he makes some more films so it happens again. :funny:

I was a little mad at first too, but then I thought about it... If many putrid sequels didn't ruin the first film, I don't see how this remake (which was actually better than about half of the putrid sequels) will? After Psycho '98, we should know better. It's just not happening. Everybody just needs to cool out and let the film fizzle out on its own. If the film ends up with a following, too bad so sad... Times change... Things change... People change... You can't have your way with everything. Deal with it, and worry about the things that really matter in life. No movie is worth having a heart attack over. I imagine this was the same thing people were going through after Lugosi was first replaced as Dracula.

Furthermore, no one ever got this bent out of shape when Michael was broken out of prison and joined a cult -- consequently, impregnating his neice and having his own son with her. That's far more ludicrous and over-the-top than this latest Emo Myers incarnation. Just like Cult Myers, Emo Myers will flutter away into the night. It's only a matter of time... Then the next film will hit, and people can start complaining all over again with the same verbatim comments and opinions we've heard about 10,000 times in the last 20 years. That's just the way the ball bounces.

Now, let's bring on the "Friday the 13th" project and let the bitchfest begin. I'm actually looking forward to see the direction this one goes in after the recent "Halloween" outlash.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

MG Casey wrote:
Awful. Walked out after 20 minutes, just way over the top language/sex, not my thing.

If you thought this language was over the top, I hope you don't watch many R-rated films because most have more f-bombs in it than Halloween, which only had 62, I believe.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
On autopilot for the summer

movies35 wrote:
MG Casey wrote:
Awful. Walked out after 20 minutes, just way over the top language/sex, not my thing.

If you thought this language was over the top, I hope you don't watch many R-rated films because most have more f-bombs in it than Halloween, which only had 62, I believe.

Well it wasn't just F bombs, there really wasnt a word the family said in the beginning that wasn't a curse, or sexual. I dont have a problem with language, but it was just silly and like said, felt like a cheap Natural Born Killers knockoff.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:27 pm
Where will you be?

movies35 wrote:
MG Casey wrote:

This was just as vulgar as all but the most coarse movies. Even beyond the family in the beginning, it seemed like everyone had a rather dirty mind in this.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Forum General

I'm seeing this for the fourth time on Monday. :wink:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

You're a fool. It gets worse every time I see it.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:11 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I would never want to have to suffer through this movie again :wink:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:19 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

The Dark Shape wrote:
You're a fool. It gets worse every time I see it.

It doesn't for me.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Can I borrow whatever it is that blocks out horrid structure, laughable acting, and one of the most boring finales of all time?

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:18 pm
Squee

The Dark Shape wrote:
Can I borrow whatever it is that blocks out horrid structure, laughable acting, and one of the most boring finales of all time?

Vodka?

:glare:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:20 pm
Extraordinary

As I saw it, here's a full list of changes between the 109 minute theatrical version and 121 minute director's cut:

- Judith says eggs are chicken abortions.
- Extra shot of Michael walking into the bathroom.
- Principal: "Fuck me?" He grabs Michael.
- More dialogue between Deborah and the Principal.
- New shot of Loomis walking down the hallway, before meeting Mrs. Myers and the principal.
- Longer close-up of the bully on the ground, dying.
- Steve twitches after he's knocked down by the baseball bat.
- Judith takes a few more seconds to die.
- An establishing shot of a reporter in front of the Smith's Grove sign -- we see him on camera starting the news footage immediately after "Smith's Grove. Eleven months later."
- Occasional black-and-white 'Loomis diaries' are intercut into their sessions.
- New scene of Loomis and Michael across the table from each other, neither speaking.
- "I have nothing left to say" scene is back in... but it cuts before the actual line. The scene is extended at the beginning, with Loomis worrying he'll be taken off the case.
- "Cute baby, couldn't be related to you" is back.
- Noel goes on a rant to Danny Trejo about hard-working Mexicans.
- Noel to Michael: "Don't look at me, you big long-haired psycho. I'll come in here and fuck this place up, you just watch."
- After Loomis tells Michael he's leaving, he stands up, sadly pats him on the shoulder, and says, "Take care, Michael. Take care."
- Loomis leaves the sanitarium and looks back, forebodingly.
- Loomis' book lecture is extended.
- The rape is back in (and more graphic than the workprint), the guard massacre is out.
- Added Joe Grizzly line: "What we have here is a failure to communicate."
- Added intro to Mr. and Mrs. Strode.
- Laurie fingers the bagel.
- Added lines as Mason leaves the house.
- Michael smells the folder Laurie drops off.
- Loomis meets Udo Kier and Clint Howard in an office, watching a security tape of Michael escaping.
- Extended dialogue during the second Udo/Howard scene (from the t-cut): "Where exactly is he going?" "Haddonfield!" "Haddonfield is a hundred miles away from here!" (which begs the question... if Michael can't drive, how the fuck did he get to Haddonfield in like six hours?)
- Michael stalks Laurie home. There's a GREAT shot of him walking behind trees, following her.
- Laurie helps Mrs. Strode fix a paper skeleton. Michael watches. Heavy breathing. Very Carpenter.
- Extended intro to graveyard scene. Loomis tries to call Sheriff Brackett, but can't get a signal.
- After the end of the graveyard scene, the screen blacks out and a title card comes up: "TRICK ORTREAT."
- Next shot is a new close-up of Michael watching Bob and Lynda pull into the Myers house driveway.
- Lynda insults Bob, saying he's broke.
- Bob's death is extended a little. Michael does the full head tilt before leaving.
- Full frontal Lynda shot. Important to the plot, I'm sure. Ahem.
- Extended shots of the princess trick-or-treaters.
- Laurie's talk with her parents is longer. Mason Strode says it's amateur night.
- Laurie makes Tommy a sandwich before the boogeyman conversation.
- Laurie throws a potato chip at Tommy after "For the both of us."
- Tommy gives Laurie a really funny look when Annie dry-humps her.
- Loomis' speech in Brackett's office is extended.
- "Laurie I would like to return to the subject we started earlier this evening." "What, your hatred of peanut butter?" "No, the boogeyman! I need some closure on this topic!"
- New scene of Laurie telling Lindsey it's time to go, then joking with Tommy.
- New shots as Laurie runs across the street from Michael.
- Laurie yells "You motherfucker!" when she stabs Michael in the basement.
- The editing of Laurie in the pool is different. Michael paces, considering his next move.
- Extra shot of Loomis being dragged post head crush.
- LOOMIS IS ALIVE. He grabs Michael's leg to try and keep him away from Laurie. Michael kicks free and continues after her.
- Michael sees Laurie climb into the vent. No needless "she makes a sound so he can hear" bit.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:09 pm
Wallflower

HALLOWEEN (2007)

- The childhood stuff was good, for the most part (minus the white trash/hillbilly dialogue that Rob Zombie is famous for).
- I liked Sheri Moon Zombie in it. I've always hated her with a passion in Zombie's other films. She reminded me a bit of Elisabeth Shue here.
- The dialogue for the teen girls was pathetic. I especially hated the bagel part when we're introduced to Laurie. It was so phony and over-the-top. Her delivery of it was unrealistic. The writing is one of the major problems for this movie.
- Probably the biggest flaw after the writing was all of the female nudity. It seems nearly every female he killed/was going to kill was naked right before he did and usually while he does. It comes off as immature on Zombie's part and makes him seem like even less of a filmmaker and more like a pig. He has a lot of growing to do.
- The chase back to the Doyal's was nowhere near as exciting or nerve-wracking as it was in the original. It wasn't suspenseful at all. In fact, I don't think there's a single tense moment in the entire movie. Zombie doesn't know how to create tension at all. Michael Myers himself isn't even scary in this one. He's way too much like a wrestler the way he throws everyone around. How did he get so big and strong anyway? Did the mental institution have a weight room?
- The very ending was really good, but the finale felt way too dragged out and it got boring.
- Scout Taylor Compton was decent in it, but I'd rather have seen someone like Jayma Mays (Epic Movie, Ugly Betty, Heroes), who has played similarly bubbly roles before, in the part. She is adorable and would have been perfect. Otherwise Evan Rachel Wood, who would have been able to give a much better performance than Scout.
- I hated the rape scene of the girl in the mental institution by the guards. Though I'm glad they didn't show Michael kill her, even if I'm sure he did. I wish the rape scene had been omitted altogether. It wasn't needed.
- Some of the plot holes are annoying, like how in the world he even would have been able to find his sister for one.

Despite some big flaws I liked this remake quite a bit. But all of the ridiculous nudity and some bad dialogue bring it down a lot. Some things here are better than in the original, but even as someone who didn't love the original and simply liked it I don't see how someone could say this film was better. It certainly has some good moments though. One of the things I liked better in the remake was that it expanded on his childhood. That's the best part of Zombie's film. Though it's almost too trashy for its own good. Rob Zombie can't write to save his life. The writing in his films is always atrocious, and it's no different here. He seems to think all people talk about is sex (and in a sense, we do talk about it a lot, but not like how he writes it). His writing and filmmaking is just too perverse and juvenile (he and Eli Roth have a lot in common). The conversations between the characters are pretty ludicrous. And yet I couldn't help but like this one. Not because it's a really good film or anything, but it entertained me (until the drawn-out end) and it was an interesting take on the story. It was also much better than Zombie's previous movies, which I loathed.

Grade: 7/10 ( B )

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:12 am
Wallflower

I watched HALLOWEEN again today with my mom. She thought it was awful and a big waste of her time. ;)

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:16 pm
Extraordinary

Can I change my vote?

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:25 pm
Wallflower

What would you change it to? Did you like it better on DVD with the Director's Cut or do you like it less?

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:40 am
Orphan

Criticizing a horror movie for gratuitous nudity is a little moot since that's what they're known for along with gratuitous violence.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:48 am
On autopilot for the summer

Joe wrote:
Criticizing a horror movie for gratuitous nudity is a little moot since that's what they're known for along with gratuitous violence.

Not good ones like the Thing. Horror films don't need excessive violence, language or nudity to be scary. 1408 proved that this year being the biggest horror movie of the year.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:57 am
Orphan

Thegun wrote:
Joe wrote:

Not good ones like the Thing. Horror films don't need excessive violence, language or nudity to be scary. 1408 proved that this year being the biggest horror movie of the year.

Sorry, I meant "slasher films," a different breed of horror film.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:58 am
Extraordinary

Mike wrote:
What would you change it to? Did you like it better on DVD with the Director's Cut or do you like it less?

It's essentially the same movie, just longer. And I like the film less and less each time I see it.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:18 am
Forum General

Thegun wrote:
Joe wrote:

No it didn't since 1408 was a lame and unscary. It sucked.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

1408 was pretty bad, but gun's point is valid.

I don't have an issue with language, I just don't like it when it sounds like it's coming from a 12-year-old who just learned to swear. The early portions of Halloween are dreadful because of this, and further proof that Zombie shouldn't even approach a word processor again. "Bitch, I will crawl over there and I will skullfuck the shit out of you!!" Then smashing the food and yelling "clean it up!" Are you kidding me?

It's a cartoon.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:54 pm
I finally saw this thing.

Eww.

I watched it on payperview so I assume it was the regular theatrical version, like it matters. The bad stuff has been elaborated on so much that it's irrelevant to even bother, so I'll say what I think worked about the movie:

-Pretty much nothing in the whole Michael-as-a-child backstory.
-I liked Danielle Harris as Annie, and I liked that Zombie mixed things up and had her survive.
-Compton did a good job as Laurie, with what she had to work with (next to nothing).
-the whole end sequence once Michael attacked Annie through the end was mostly solid.
-Laurie shooting Michael in the face was good.

Like others said, if Zombie had just directed with someone else writing it could have been pretty good. Halloween could have been a slasher where the victims do all the right things but some (okay, most) still get the axe at the hands of an unrelenting murderer. I want to see that movie.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:49 am
---------

Thegun wrote:
Joe wrote:

Thank you. Sooo true.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:19 am
Wallflower

I lowered my rating to a B-. The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:21 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Halloween (2007)
Not as terrible as I was expecting after the opening scene, but it's either horribly redundant or ridiculously over-the-top. The backstory would work well if it wasn't handled in such a ham-fisted manner, and then the meat of the film is just Carpenter's film redux. It's like Zombie wanted to add some new blood, but not too much, so instead the film's stuck in some horrible middle-ground that doesn't really satisfy anyone.

Could've been worse, I suppose, but it's still pretty terrible.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next