Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Suburban Girl 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Suburban Girl 

Post Suburban Girl
Suburban Girl

Quote:
Suburban Girl is a 2007 comedy film starring Sarah Michelle Gellar, Alec Baldwin and Maggie Grace, which was filmed in New York City. The movie is adapted from two short stories in Melissa Bank's best-selling book The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing, which spent 16 weeks on The New York Times Best Seller list.

It is a romantic comedy produced by Gigi Pritzker and Deborah Del Prete, producers of The Wedding Planner and Green Street Hooligans. The movie was shown at New York's Tribeca Film Festival in April and May, 2007. The DVD and Blu-ray release date was January 15, 2008.

For many months, the makers of Suburban Girl used the title of the book, The Girls’ Guide To Hunting and Fishing for their film. Francis Ford Coppola (who has the rights to the title and short story of that name) and American Zoetrope are developing a film which is adapted from the last short story in the book.

Sat May 05, 2007 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A much more entertaining and poignant version of 2005's Shopgirl, Suburban Girl is an incredibly witty and sweet movie about an unlikely couple trying to make their relationship work. Sarah Michelle Gellar is radiant and lovable as Brett Eisenberg, a book editor working her way up the corporate ladder. After seeing her in countless horror films, it is nice to see Gellar branch out once again - proving that she is actually an incredibly talented actress. She gives the role a sweet charm and is able to tackle the more emotional moments as well. Alec Baldwin is great as Archie Knox, a wealthy publisher who becomes infatuated with Brett. He gives the character a lot of depth and doesn't allow the role to become cliched or predictable. Gellar and Baldwin surprisingly have excellent chemistry and are very believable in their scenes together. Maggie Grace is funny in a small supporting role, as is Chris Carmack. Marc Klein does a great job of showing the beauty of New York with his direction, and his script is realistic, funny and often quite touching. I highly recommend this gem. I hope that it finds distribution soon.

Last edited by thompsoncory on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 05, 2007 10:30 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Cory, did you get a job previewing not yet released indie films or something? You've been hitting them like crazy lately eh, hehe.

Sun May 06, 2007 3:52 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I've been going to see them at the Tribeca Film Festival :)

Sun May 06, 2007 10:14 am
Profile YIM
The Wall

Post Re: Suburban Girl
7/10 -> B-

After seeing this movie on cory's list in 2008 movie thread (though I still find this movie to be a 2007 release :funny: ) I wated to see it because I love SMG. I agree with everything he said. SMG is very loveable and should definitely do more non-horror movies. She and Alec Baldwin make a great on-screen couple. And the whole movie looks very beautiful. Don't know why but it felt so calm and peaceful...

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I purchased the DVD yesterday and watched it. My grade remains the same, and it's a high B bordering on a B+. I still believe that it should have gotten a theatrical release. It's incredibly enjoyable.

And as I said before, I'm considering it a 2008 release because that was when it was officially released stateside (i.e. not in a film festival). The same goes for Charlie Bartlett, which I saw early last year but is just now being released theatrically in February.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:40 pm
Profile YIM
The Wall

thompsoncory wrote:
I still believe that it should have gotten a theatrical release. It's incredibly enjoyable.

Yeah, it would've made a decent amount of money. There's something about the movie that makes you like it, I can't quite put my finger on it. It would be a good date movie.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

thompsoncory wrote:
I purchased the DVD yesterday and watched it. My grade remains the same, and it's a high B bordering on a B+.

Also how do you break the 1-10 scale with A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- and so on grades??? I mean there are a lot more alphabet grades that way than just ten numbers...

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

be.redy wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:
I purchased the DVD yesterday and watched it. My grade remains the same, and it's a high B bordering on a B+.

Also how do you break the 1-10 scale with A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- and so on grades??? I mean there are a lot more alphabet grades that way than just ten numbers...

My grading scale is generally as follows:

10/10 - A+
9/10 - A, A-
8/10 - A-, B+
7/10 - B, B-
6/10 - B-, C+
5/10 - C, C-
4/10 - D+
3/10 - D, D-
2/10 - F
1/10 - F
0/10 - F

I'm not an incredibly harsh grader, so most films don't get below a 5/10 unless I strongly dislike them.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:52 pm
Profile YIM
The Wall

Ouuuuu. Bit weird though. Three grades for F, some letter grades falling into two number grades... :sweat:

Would've never guessed.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

SUBURBAN GIRL - 7/10 (B-)

Cute and enjoyable. But it ended up dragging a bit towards the end.

I can see why it didn't get a theatrical release. I think they probably made the right decision. It wouldn't have done very well. It might do well on DVD though (I say might because at my store, we got 17 copies and as of last night, after almost two days of being on the shelf, not a single copy has been rented), and this way they didn't have to spend a bunch of money on advertising. I really enjoyed the movie, and it is better than some movies that get released in theaters (a lot, actually), but it kind of reminded me of something that would be bought to air on TV (ABC Family, or even Lifetime).

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:08 am
Wallflower

My grading scale is the exact same one that Thom uses.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:09 am
Forum General

Mine is too. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
problem?

This was really kyoot. And it definitely should've been released in theaters, would've made at least $15m (but I think more, really) and because of the theatrical release, it's DVD rentals would've been better. A missed opportunity, for sure.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]