Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Sunshine (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 8 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 24

Sunshine (2007) 
Where will you be?

Maybe I've always been kind on Danny Boyle thanks to his generous helpings of very vivid visual flair, but I thought this was yet another exquisite film from him. I wouldn't argue that the film sorta burns out before the very end, but there's so few science fiction films nowadays that I'll happily take a shiny (and refreshingly deep!) one from one of the true new masters of genre filmmaking. It's right up there with The Core, and so much better than The Day After Tomorrow and Poseidon, as far as my favorite disaster films of this decade goes.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:07 pm
Kypade

I think it's probably the best movie of this year.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:27 pm
Extraordinary

I'm not sure about the visitor and all, but this was a very well made, very effective sci-fi piece.
It got a really split reaction from the audience...it had more walk-outs than any movie I've seen since Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist, but the people the stayed really loved it.

Last edited by snack on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:04 am
College Boy Z

Yay, I like these second page reactions better. Screw you all on the first page. :happy:

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:42 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

The pacing is quite boring in the first 40 minutes. By that I mean like all the Star Trek type movies, 2001 Space Odysey, and U571. It did get interesting in the end but I still felt it was the weakest of Danny Boyle movies. I thought that a similiar movie like Event Horizon did a better job with the same concept than Sunshine and the movie wasnt as violent or scary as Boyle's 28 Days Later

Its a good effort but still only gets a B- from me just because I do like most DAnny Boyle films

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:06 pm
College Boy Z

The comparison to Event Horizon is spot-on. It's excellent.

A-

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:24 am
Sbil

A-

Event Horizon?!

I wasn't sure I had planned on seeing Sunshine or not, but if it's anything like that movie, I'll pass. I figured this would be sort of a classy, brainy sci-fi epic, which is certainly not how I would classify Event Horizon (more like "overly gory shlockfest in space").

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:26 am
Orphan

It was boring. Nothing really interesting happens until the end but then it's over too fast.

Grade: C

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 am
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

A-

Event Horizon?!

I wasn't sure I had planned on seeing Sunshine or not, but if it's anything like that movie, I'll pass. I figured this would be sort of a classy, brainy sci-fi epic, which is certainly not how I would classify Event Horizon (more like "overly gory shlockfest in space").

Actually, I'd say the first hour is a "classy, brainy sci-fi epic" and the last half hour blended that with Event Horizon somewhat (not the "gory shlockfest" part). It's not exactly like that film, it's really good.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:29 am
Kypade

Libs see it. It's incredibly classy, brainy and epic. :o

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:48 am
Forum General

As a movie fan, I've never been a fan of the science fiction genre. Outside of the Star Wars films, there are very few sci-fi films that I deeply enjoy. While Sunshine isn't 100% a science fiction film, I will gladly add it to the ever so short list of sci-fi films that I loved. There was not one moment in the film that I was not in awe of what was happening on screen, whether it be because of the absolutely beautiful visuals or the heroic characters that were being portrayed on screen. The ending was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in years and even brought tears to my eyes. All of the acting is fantastic but Cillian Murphy is definitely the stand out. He plays one of the best characters of the year and his heroic performance is just fascinating. I absolutely loved this film. So few films are perfect these days but Sunshine is one of the few that are. A masterful achievement in not only science fiction, but in film making in general.

10/10 (A+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Not a sci-fan normally, though loved serenity (that was probably the last sci-fi film I saw) made the mistake though of watching the extended trailer of this movie before going to see it which basically oultlined the entire movie. that set aside i still thought it was well made even if it did get a bit cooky at the end, probably a B/B+

My mom loved it though haha

1. The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Rushmore
5. Being John Malkovich

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Post Re: Sunshine
This is an amazing spectacle of a movie whose narrative operates entirely in typical genre trappings (the first hour is serious science fiction, the last half hour is out and out slasher) while still positively bubbling over with ideas and concepts you simply don't find in genre film making. There is a general consensus that the slasher piece of the film is a negative veer off the rails, but I think it makes perfect sense when viewed within the context of the religion vs. science debate that is at the heart of the movie. Pinbacker is a manifestation of fundamentalism (or maybe even a godlike entity), so Boyle does interesting things with his mise en scene when Pinbacker is on screen. He is distorted, blurry... just out of reach, as if the camera lens can not capture his presence. He carves a path of violence while his actual existence remains in doubt. In the end, Capa has a "religious experience" through the science he has devoted his life to that is about the save the planet and defeat Pinbacker. Capa is seen pining for this moment throughout the film, but he isn't the only one, as nearly every crew member on the Icarus II is starving for the ethereal, otherworldly beauty of "the light at the end of the tunnel". They know they are on a virtual suicide mission (the ship is even named Icarus, for cryin' out loud!), and some of them are lucky enough to get their moment -- Captain Kaneda chooses to die outside the ship, directly in front of the "light" while the equally starved and hopeless Searle screams "What do you see?!?!", perhaps hoping that Kaneda can provide the comfort Searle only eventually finds in his own death in front of the "light" -- while others die in a humanistic blip as they attempt to save a godless planet of six billion people all by themselves. Most people would consider Sunshine a decidedly pessimistic enterprise, but you would then have to ignore its optimism in the human species to create something beautiful through science.

Oh, and it's probably the most thrilling, invigorating, visceral piece of film making this year. So there's that, too. :thumbsup:

Last edited by makeshift on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:26 am
Extraordinary

makeshift wrote:
This is an amazing spectacle of a movie whose narrative operates entirely in typical genre trappings (the first hour is serious science fiction, the last half hour is out and out slasher) while still positively bubbling over with ideas and concepts you simply don't find in genre film making. There is a general consensus that the slasher piece of the film is a negative veer off the rails, but I think it makes perfect sense when viewed within the context of the religion vs. science debate that is at the heart of the movie. Pinbacker is a manifestation of fundamentalism (or maybe even a godlike entity), so Boyle does interesting things with his mise en scene when Pinbacker is on screen. He is distorted, blurry... just out of reach, as if the camera lens can not capture his presence. He carves a path of violence while his actual existence remains in doubt. In the end, Capa has a "religious experience" through the science he has devoted his life to that is about the save the planet and defeat Pinbacker. Capa is seen pining for this moment throughout the film, but he isn't the only one, as nearly every crew member on the Icarus II is starving for the ethereal, otherworldly beauty of "the light at the end of the tunnel". They know they are on a virtual suicide mission (the ship is even named Icarus, for cryin' out loud!), and some of them are lucky enough to get their moment -- Captain Kaneda chooses to die outside the ship, directly in front of the "light" while the equally starved and hopeless Searle screams "What do you see?!?!", perhaps hoping that Kaneda can provide the comfort Searle only eventually finds in his own death in front of the "light" -- while others die in a humanistic blip as they attempt to save a godless planet of six billion people all by themselves. Most people would consider Sunshine a decidedly pessimistic enterprise, but you would then have to ignore its optimism in the human species to create something beautiful through science.

I'm glad you liked it, but OMG - - your review reads like such a load of hooey!

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:03 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Sunshine was shit.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:52 pm
I just lost the game

Absolutely brilliant. I think the introduction of Pinbacker did shake the movie up, but it all worked out. I think the psychological parts of the movie are much more effective than what is essentially a chase scene at the end, but it all worked out. What really worked for me were the visuals. There was one shot where the camera work was just so stunning, mixed in with the incredible scoring, that I just started to cry, and another two shots that brought me close.

I was surprised by how underrepresented the humanity angle was. Usually disaster films have a sort of "go go humanity" undertone to it all, but Boyle really brought that back. I liked it. He was able to have an impending push about delivering the payload but still focus on a myriad of other things, thematically speaking. It was very effective.

A

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:50 am
You must have big rats

I'm surprised I haven't reviewed this one yet. I have actually seen it a long while ago and it still remains one of the best 2007 films I have seen so far.

Now to put it ahead of my review: my feelings on Danny Boyle are very mixed and I am certainly not a huge fan of his generally. I HATE HATE HATE The Beach and it's still among my Top 10 Worst Ever Films. Of his recent works, I have seen Millions which was a cute, but very mediocre tale, in my opinion and 28 Days Later which disappointed me a lot on my first viewing, but after 3-4 more repeat viewings, I grew to appreciate it for what it is: an ambitious horror-sci-fi flick. I have yet to see Trainspotting, though I already own it and will catch up soon.

As it stands, Sunshine is by far the best work by Boyle I have seen. It's not perfect as it utilizes themes and motives already used in movies like Event Horizon, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien, but it does it so well and thrilling that I can easily forgive that. It's pure sci-fi at its (almost) best. It tells an interesting story which is extremely engaging from start to finish. There's not a single dull moment in the flick. This film is what Mission to Mars should have been!

To me it was just a ride. Accident after accident, the crew of Icarus II falls victim to the dangers of Outer Space. There are many great, thrilling moments of suspense and some of the deaths are actually pretty surprising. The visuals are terrific. For the rather small budget the film had, the visual effects are great. Cinematography, production design and editing are top notch and Boyle's drection is masterful. The character's are not deep, but I don't suppose they were meant to be. Cillian Murhy might play the lead, but Chris Evans definbitely steals the show from him. During the last 30 minutes the film throws up an intersting philosophical question while never slowing down still. I must admit that, um..."villain" was a bit too blurry and too Event Horizon-ish for my taste, but him chasing the crew members was very intense nonetheless. The ending is just as satisfying as I wanted it to be.

If anything, I think the film maybe needed to be a little bit longer, though that might have taken away some of the tension that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole running time.

It's sad that this film really wasn't any successful in the US. I strongly recommend it to everyone on here. Don't miss one of 2007's best!

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

bump

Just saw this (yay downloading).

First, the score was amazing. It made the cliche deaths acceptable.

But the deaths shouldn't have been cliche. Why do people in disaster movies only die when they sacrifice themselves or turn into assholes? I was hoping that this one wouldn't follow the normal patterns, but like I said, the score made it acceptable.

When it was playing 2001 it was excellent. Not sure why they had to introduce the Russian guy's ghost (or something). That's when it took a tumble. If he wanted to go that route he could've just used the Asian guy.

Still good though, almost another A in the year already full of (to be) classics. B+

Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:41 pm
ef star star kay

Post `
It was gorgeous, very well done film. Like others have mentioned, many shots are so beautiful.

But I HATE the 'Pinbacker' part so much. It almost made me forget the film's brilliant first-hour, almost.

It's throughout enjoyable. But without the slasher part, it could be 'a classic'.

EDIT: well, maybe not.. even without the Pinbacker, there are still those cliche' death scenes..

C+

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:53 pm
loyalfromlondon

This is certainly the most allegorical and metaphorical science fiction film to come out since Children of Men, and it's probably the best film released since then. On the surface, it's not that special, as it basically melds various sci-fi sub-genres - space adventure, natural disaster, and psychological horror - but it infuses its familiar story with symbolism, subtext, and a much deeper meaning. Even the sharp turn toward horror in the final act, which is jarring, doesn't stray from the overall message. Every part of the film, from the story to the characters to the visuals, works towards its common theme, and that makes it a very powerful experience.

I don't know if I've got a hold on all the issues and implications raised by the film, but I was certainly affected by them. Even now, days later, I still find myself thinking about the true, overall meaning behind it. Most of these thoughts focus on Pinbacker, and his role in the film. Superficially, he's the villain, but he's only introduced in the second half of the film. Half the crew are already dead by the time he boards the Icarus II. Many of the criticisms deal with his character: not only that he appears to be a generic serial killer, but that his actual appearance is impossible to nail down. Every shot of him is blurred, out-of-focus, constantly moving. All we can make out is an impossibly burned body and a raspy, chilling voice. In order to reconcile his bizarre presentation with his narrative significance, the viewer must see him as no longer a human, but something more. A godlike figure, perhaps, or maybe even a supernatural being. It would explain his paranormal presence, as well as his fundamentalist rantings. If he is not a god, then it's possible that he's instead a disciple of God, sent to derail the mission and preserve the destruction of humanity. This would imply that God Himself is responsible for the dying sun, and this is His way of cleansing Earth of our parasitic race. A modern-day flood, if you will, with no Ark to save us - unless you consider the Icarus itself to be that vessel. I could go on for days about the dozens of interpretations one can draw from this film.

It's interesting, then, to look at the cast of characters and where they fit into the grand scheme of things. Even relatively minor characters, who are offed fairly quickly, are given their moment in the sun (so to speak). One can observe the divide among the eight crew members - those concerned with trivial human matters, and those who can see the bigger picture. Along these lines, I would consider Corazon, Trey, Mace, and Harvey to fall into the first category, leaving Searle, Cassie, Kaneda, and of course Capa in the latter category. It's unusual to note that the characters are not separated according to the typical science/faith debate - none of the characters express their belief in God or some other higher power, and Capa - a man of science - sits in opposition to many of the other scientific members of the team. The divide is present many times throughout the film, most notably regarding their views on the detour to the original Icarus, and can be seen overtly in regards to their deaths. Each of the characters in the first category, those obsessed with the triviality of humanity, die cold, alone, and - most importantly - against their will. They are afraid of death, and thus their deaths are meaningless, a sacrifice for nothing. Conversely, those in the second category, those whose minds are open and able to 'see the light', die in heat, in light, reverently admiring that which ends up killing them, whether it be star or bomb. Indeed, Capa's expression as he marvels at the execution of the peak of human knowledge mirrors the look of Kaneda or Searle as they idolize the full, unbridled Sun - arguably the peak of nature, or God's creation if you prefer. This film is not a debate between faith and science, but it attempts to show a reconciliation between the two.

Furthermore, from a technical point of view, the film is near-perfect. As mentioned before, the presentation of Pinbacker is bizarre and yet truly fitting for the character. Boyle's excellent direction doesn't stop there, though. The wide shots of the spacecraft are simply stunning, and the broad, looping movements of the camera as it rotates around express the size of the ship appropriately. The portrayal of physical spaces within the ship, especially in the last half-hour, perfectly provide a claustrophobic atmosphere even within an expansive environment. The quick flashes of the original Icarus crew as the new crew enters the adrift vessel is very unsettling and disturbing, and amp up the suspense and horror to unbearable heights. Similarly, the silhouetted shot of Pinbacker interwoven with Capa slowly discovering that he is on board is a truly terrifying moment. And that's not to mention the incredible presence of the approaching Sun - never before has that orb of life felt more real, or more dangerous.

This is somewhat of a rarity in the sci-fi genre lately: an action-packed, horrifying film with real characters, a believable story, and layers upon layers of meaning. It's a real treat to experience, and I look forward to watching it again and again.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:22 am
Teenage Dream

Great stuff trixster.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:25 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

He was a man who'd gone crazy after 7 years of solitude. Nothing more then that.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:50 pm
loyalfromlondon

Gullimont wrote:
He was a man who'd gone crazy after 7 years of solitude. Nothing more then that.

I don't buy that. How else to explain the seizure the camera goes into whenever he's on screen? Or how he managed to survive with burns covering his body? Or how he managed to board the Icarus II, go unnoticed, and blow apart the two ships? There's just too much ambiguity to write him off as a generic slasher villain.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:59 pm
loyalfromlondon

Hmm, there's something wrong with this thread. My last post isn't showing up. Nor is Gulli's. :huh:

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:00 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Hmmm thats a bit wierd

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next