Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

College Boy Z

Post Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Quote:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is a 1982 American science fiction film released by Paramount Pictures. The film is the second feature based on the Star Trek science fiction franchise. The plot features James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and the crew of the starship USS Enterprise facing off against the genetically-engineered tyrant Khan Noonien Singh (Ricardo Montalbán), a character who first appeared in the 1967 Star Trek television series episode "Space Seed". When Khan escapes from a 15-year exile to exact revenge on Kirk, the crew of the Enterprise must stop him from acquiring a powerful terraforming device named Genesis. The film concludes with the death of Enterprise crewmember Spock (Leonard Nimoy), beginning a story arc that continues with the 1984 film Star Trek III: The Search For Spock and concludes with 1986's Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

After the lackluster critical and commercial response to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, series creator Gene Roddenberry was forced out of the sequel's production. Executive producer Harve Bennett wrote the film's original outline, which Jack B. Sowards developed into a full script. Director Nicholas Meyer completed the final script in 12 days, without accepting a writing credit. Meyer's approach evoked the swashbuckling atmosphere of the original series, and the theme was reinforced by James Horner's musical score. Leonard Nimoy only reprised his role as Spock because the character's death was intended to be irrevocable. Negative test audience reaction to Spock's death led to significant revisions of the ending over Meyer's objections. The production used various cost-cutting techniques to keep within budget, including utilizing miniatures from past projects and re-using effects footage and costumes from the previous movie. Among the film's technical achievements is that it is the first feature film to contain a complete sequence created entirely with computer-generated graphics.

The Wrath of Khan was released in North America on June 4, 1982. It was a box office success, earning US$97 million worldwide and setting a world record for first-day box office gross. Critical reaction to the film was positive; reviewers highlighted Khan, the film's pacing and the character interactions as strong elements. Negative reaction focused on weak special effects and some of the acting. The Wrath of Khan is generally considered one of the best films of the Star Trek series and is credited with the creation of substantial renewed interest in the franchise.

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:21 am
Hot Fuss

:P
One of the best science fiction films of all time, second only to 2001. With everything from intense battles, drama, and comedy, Star Trek 2 offers it all. :)

Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I just lost the game

I saw this last year at my cousin's house. It was my first real exposure ot Star Trek that I had. I was rather skeptical at first....I don't know why. I was totally blown away. The movie proved to me that it was not only a worthwhile movie, but one of the best I've ever seen. Only behind The Matrix and Terminator 2, Star Wars, and Empire Strikes Back in terms of sci-fi movies. I highly recommend it to anyone.

A+

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:37 am
Hot Fuss

I saw this last year at my cousin's house. It was my first real exposure ot Star Trek that I had. I was rather skeptical at first....I don't know why. I was totally blown away. The movie proved to me that it was not only a worthwhile movie, but one of the best I've ever seen. Only behind The Matrix and Terminator 2, Star Wars, and Empire Strikes Back in terms of sci-fi movies. I highly recommend it to anyone.

A+

ah. another one introduced the the true greatness of trek. :D

Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I just lost the game

Are all the other Trek movies/shows as good as Khan? If they are, I'm going to my nearest Trekkie convention ASAP. The Wrath of Khan was truly a beautiful movie.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:12 pm
Hot Fuss

Are all the other Trek movies/shows as good as Khan? If they are, I'm going to my nearest Trekkie convention ASAP. The Wrath of Khan was truly a beautiful movie.

That's definately up for debate. The Trek Franchise has never reproduced the same film over. Each one is almost entirely different. I will do a breakdown, and a recommandation of what you should consider movie wise, in a total fair, non-biased way (if possible...)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - this 1979 release was a beautiful peace of science fiction, but not really a true Trek film. More of a remake of 2001: A Space Odyssey (not as good, though). I wouldn't watch this one yet, as it is rather long, and hard to appreciate. I mean, the best part of the film is the score and the sweeping shots of the Enterprise. You gotta love Trek to love that stuff.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - you've seen it, you know its wonderful.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - another solid film. I will introduce the theory that the odd-number films aren't as good as the even numbered ones. This one is sort of true. It isn't an action packed sequel to The Wrath of Kahn. It's more of a Trekkie's film, exploring the themes of life after death, resurrection, and sacrafice. Still, wonderful continuation of the arc of movies started in Wrath.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Many non-Trekkies love this film. Actually, it's the most successful Trek film, earning over 100m dollars. It finishes off the wonderful arc started in Wrath by having the crew travel back in time to present day San Fransisco. It's the most lighthearted, fun, and innocent of the films. This one is sure the be enjoyed by anyone. I recommend this one, for ya, only if you have seen TSFS. Otherwise, you might be confused at the start. They are all very, very intertwined up to this point.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - skip this. Skip it at all costs. It's a pretty crappy film. Unless you develop a love for the characters and the humor, I wouldn't bother. Really.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - my personal favorite, behind Wrath of Khan. Like most Trek films, it has a different message. This time, we are set at the end of Kirk's career. The Klingons, whom are a mirror to the Soviets, are at odds with Humanity. It's a wonderful political reflection on the end of the Cold War, and has some of the best actions seens. An amazing score and top notch action makes this one intruiging and highly recommended.

Star Trek: Generations - Here, the riegns are passed on from Kirk to Picard, the captain of the Enterprise D from the television show "The Next Generation". It's a time travel story of sorts, but I can't reveal much more without spoiling it. It isn't a fan favorite, but I still enjoy it. I recommend it slightly, but I would go with some of the others first. A decent sequel of sorts for Star Trek VI.

Star Trek: First Contact - This is one you would love. This is the modern gem of the franchise. With stunning SPFX, a wicked score, and great acting, I am sure you will love it. No need to spoil you plot wise, but I promise, it's a great ride.

Star Trek: Insurrection - another one of the odd-numbered blah films. It's a decent flick, but would have worked better as a TV two parter. Only watch this if you grow to like the characters, really...

Star Trek: Nemesis - well, this was that recent flop everyone's talking about. Check out the trailer, it's floating around the web. This one is either love it, or hate it. I loved it, but I am cautious to recommend it.

As for TV, I don't know where to start. There have been several series, and there are about 700 episodes. We Have the Original Series, with Kirk, The Animated Adventures, blah, blah... skip all that.... heh... then in the 80s we got The Next Generation, a very good, but almost sterile version of Trek. Very, very loved. Next came Deep Space Nine. This is probably the fan favorite. It created the most developed, gritty and humane characters in all of sci fi. But, you have to start at the begining to understand it all. With 200 episodes and a slow start, it takes dedication. Next is Voyager. Almost considered a remake of TNG, its sort of a hitech, sexed up Trek. And I loved it. A worthy, fun show, but nothing emmy-worthy. Last is Enterprise, which comes back from winter break next week. I really suggest watching this, if you want a taste of TV Trek. It's fourth season has been superb, and I recommend reruns. I think it's great TV, but it all depends on personal preferences. The characters are pretty well developed from my POV, and I suggest you check it out. If so, let me know....

Whew.

Thats about it, so far. If you like reading, there are thousands of Trek books :P :wink:

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

I am not a Trekkie and I'll never become one. I saw all Star Trek films and the only one I really liked a lot was Star Trek: First Contact. Great film and the Borgs rock.

Star Trek: Nemesis I saw in theatres and it oozed mediocrity. I almost fell asleep, even though some parts (like the space battles were great).

The first Star Trek film, well, I found it really really REALLY boring and overlong.

Can't remember the others too well.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I am not a Trekkie and I'll never become one. I saw all Star Trek films and the only one I really liked a lot was Star Trek: First Contact. Great film and the Borgs rock.

Star Trek: Nemesis I saw in theatres and it oozed mediocrity. I almost fell asleep, even though some parts (like the space battles were great).

The first Star Trek film, well, I found it really really REALLY boring and overlong.

See, I tried to right the list from a non-Trekkie perspective. That's pretty much why I recommended First Contact the most. Everyone loves it. It's a wonderful action movie, pure n simple. Nemesis, I loved, cuz it was Trek. heh. It could have been soo much better, and I am hoping for a directors cut. It wasn't a bad concept, it was just edited to hell (first cut was 3 hours....). The first one, like I said, was a failing attempt to mimick 2001. Ie - loooong.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

See, I tried to right the list from a non-Trekkie perspective. That's pretty much why I recommended First Contact the most. Everyone loves it. It's a wonderful action movie, pure n simple. Nemesis, I loved, cuz it was Trek. heh. It could have been soo much better, and I am hoping for a directors cut. It wasn't a bad concept, it was just edited to hell (first cut was 3 hours....). The first one, like I said, was a failing attempt to mimick 2001. Ie - loooong.

Agreed, the first one was an attempt to repeat 2001 and honestly, Star Trek is anything, but 2001. It is supposed to be good entertainment, not a philosophical film. That is why Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is that disliked by many (including myself and you).

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
insomniacdude wrote:

That's definately up for debate. The Trek Franchise has never reproduced the same film over. Each one is almost entirely different. I will do a breakdown, and a recommandation of what you should consider movie wise, in a total fair, non-biased way (if possible...)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - this 1979 release was a beautiful peace of science fiction, but not really a true Trek film. More of a remake of 2001: A Space Odyssey (not as good, though). I wouldn't watch this one yet, as it is rather long, and hard to appreciate. I mean, the best part of the film is the score and the sweeping shots of the Enterprise. You gotta love Trek to love that stuff.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - you've seen it, you know its wonderful.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - another solid film. I will introduce the theory that the odd-number films aren't as good as the even numbered ones. This one is sort of true. It isn't an action packed sequel to The Wrath of Kahn. It's more of a Trekkie's film, exploring the themes of life after death, resurrection, and sacrafice. Still, wonderful continuation of the arc of movies started in Wrath.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Many non-Trekkies love this film. Actually, it's the most successful Trek film, earning over 100m dollars. It finishes off the wonderful arc started in Wrath by having the crew travel back in time to present day San Fransisco. It's the most lighthearted, fun, and innocent of the films. This one is sure the be enjoyed by anyone. I recommend this one, for ya, only if you have seen TSFS. Otherwise, you might be confused at the start. They are all very, very intertwined up to this point.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - skip this. Skip it at all costs. It's a pretty crappy film. Unless you develop a love for the characters and the humor, I wouldn't bother. Really.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - my personal favorite, behind Wrath of Khan. Like most Trek films, it has a different message. This time, we are set at the end of Kirk's career. The Klingons, whom are a mirror to the Soviets, are at odds with Humanity. It's a wonderful political reflection on the end of the Cold War, and has some of the best actions seens. An amazing score and top notch action makes this one intruiging and highly recommended.

Star Trek: Generations - Here, the riegns are passed on from Kirk to Picard, the captain of the Enterprise D from the television show "The Next Generation". It's a time travel story of sorts, but I can't reveal much more without spoiling it. It isn't a fan favorite, but I still enjoy it. I recommend it slightly, but I would go with some of the others first. A decent sequel of sorts for Star Trek VI.

Star Trek: First Contact - This is one you would love. This is the modern gem of the franchise. With stunning SPFX, a wicked score, and great acting, I am sure you will love it. No need to spoil you plot wise, but I promise, it's a great ride.

Star Trek: Insurrection - another one of the odd-numbered blah films. It's a decent flick, but would have worked better as a TV two parter. Only watch this if you grow to like the characters, really...

Star Trek: Nemesis - well, this was that recent flop everyone's talking about. Check out the trailer, it's floating around the web. This one is either love it, or hate it. I loved it, but I am cautious to recommend it.

As for TV, I don't know where to start. There have been several series, and there are about 700 episodes. We Have the Original Series, with Kirk, The Animated Adventures, blah, blah... skip all that.... heh... then in the 80s we got The Next Generation, a very good, but almost sterile version of Trek. Very, very loved. Next came Deep Space Nine. This is probably the fan favorite. It created the most developed, gritty and humane characters in all of sci fi. But, you have to start at the begining to understand it all. With 200 episodes and a slow start, it takes dedication. Next is Voyager. Almost considered a remake of TNG, its sort of a hitech, sexed up Trek. And I loved it. A worthy, fun show, but nothing emmy-worthy. Last is Enterprise, which comes back from winter break next week. I really suggest watching this, if you want a taste of TV Trek. It's fourth season has been superb, and I recommend reruns. I think it's great TV, but it all depends on personal preferences. The characters are pretty well developed from my POV, and I suggest you check it out. If so, let me know....

Whew.

Thats about it, so far. If you like reading, there are thousands of Trek books :P :wink:

Very good recap.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

I saw this printed out a poster - All I need to know about life I learned from Star Trek - I thought I would post this here rather than TV as it doesn't really relate to TV but to how everyone should live their lives according to Star Trek way.

- Seek out new life and new civilizations

- Non-interference is the Prime Directive

- Keep your phaser set on stun

- Humans are highly illogical

- There’s no such thing as a Vulcan death grip

- Live long and prosper

- Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting; it is not logical but it is often true

- Infinite diversity in infinite combinations (IDIC)

- Tribbles hate Klingons and Klingons hate Tribbles

- Don’t put all of your ranking officers in one stuttlecraft

- When your logic fails, trust a hunch

- Insufficient data does not compute

- If it can’t be fixed, just ask Scotty

- Even in our own world, sometimes we are aliens

- Boldly go where no man has gone before.

Note: One that they missed - always send a nameless yo-man on all away trips as he will usually be the one to get killed.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

zach wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Agreed, the first one was an attempt to repeat 2001 and honestly, Star Trek is anything, but 2001. It is supposed to be good entertainment, not a philosophical film. That is why Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is that disliked by many (including myself and you).

Exactly. The only reason to watch The first film is for the gorgeous effects and score, not a story. Trek doesn't work that way. It was never meant to be. Sure, it is supposed to be entertaining AND smart, but not just smart. Hehe. The Final Frontier is worth it only for the character momments. If I were to rewatch these over, it would be the last one. I don't care for it, at all. I don't think anyone does. :roll:

Oh, and thanks Goldie.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Post B+ Easily the best Trek film
I love this movie for one reason and that's because it captures human grief/vengeance so well. If I wouldn't know Spock would of come back alive I would have cried when Spock died at the end. Khan is awesome and is actually MENACING unlike most bad guys in movies (Doc Ock, anyone?). He was just so devoted to killing Kirk even if it will kill him which what makes a good bad guy.

The battle scenes were off-the-edge of the seat awesome and just shows that you don't need 300 spaceships flying all over to make a bad ass space fight. I loved it when they were fighting each other and couldn't see each other then BAM Horner's amazing score comes in and they are both face to face and start firing. Just so amazing. Sure, the special effects aren't up to par with Star Wars (you can see some CGI here) but they are good enough.

What I like about this film is that you don't need to be a Trekker to enjoy this film. It's a great film PERIOD. It has action, friendship, grief, revenge, humour, and even some romance for everyone. I find almost no faults with this movie except some bad acting, some bad effects (Eden cave?), and Kirk was only an OK leader. These problems make me give it a B_ however it is still easily the best Star Trek film (but I've only seen 3 of them).

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Original

I dont like the other Star Trek movies but this one rocks the shit. (Part 4 the voyage home is also ok but more cause its so cheesy and so damn honest at some points. Not really a Trek movie but some good laughs here).

Well I would say Wrath of Khan is nearly up with the old Star Wars movies. I would say its a Sci-Fi classic and by far the best of all Trek movies (as I said I didnt like the other movies). Good characters nice effects for that time and higlhy entertaining.
I give this 9/10 plis one point for Kirks KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! scream....makes
10/10
A classic and only worth thing from Star Dreck.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:43 pm
We had our time together

Post Re: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Miles and miles ahead of the first one. I liked it. B-

Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]