Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Sunset Blvd. 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Sunset Blvd. 

Post Sunset Blvd.
Sunset Blvd.

Quote:
Sunset Boulevard (also known as Sunset Blvd.) is a 1950 American film noir directed and co-written by Billy Wilder, and produced and co-written by Charles Brackett. It was named after the boulevard that runs through Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, California.

The film stars William Holden as an unsuccessful screenwriter, Gloria Swanson as a faded silent movie star who draws him into her fantasy world, in which she dreams of making a triumphant return to the screen and Erich von Stroheim as her butler. Nancy Olson, Fred Clark, Lloyd Gough and Jack Webb play supporting roles. Director Cecil B. DeMille and gossip columnist Hedda Hopper play themselves, and the film includes cameo appearances by leading silent film actors Buster Keaton, H. B. Warner and Anna Q. Nilsson.

Praised by many critics when first released, Sunset Boulevard was nominated for eleven Academy Awards and won three. It is widely accepted as a classic, often cited as one of the most noteworthy films of American cinema. Deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the U.S. Library of Congress in 1989, Sunset Boulevard was included in the first group of films selected for preservation in the National Film Registry. In 1998, it was ranked number twelve on the American Film Institute's list of the 100 best American films of the 20th century, and in 2007 it was 16th on their 10th Anniversary list.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:08 pm
Begging Naked

This movie is all kinds of awesome. Compelling, weird, original and filled with great perfs, from William Holkden to Erich von Stroheim to kooky, haunting and amazing Gloria Swanson. What a shame that the movie had to be the same year as All About Eve and that she and Bette Davis BOTH had to lose. Like Christian, it's oine of my all time favorites.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Yeah they split votes (Bette Davis and Anne Baxter from All About Eve; Gloria Swanson from Sunset) paving way for a Judy Holliday win.

I knew this was the movie for me when we were first introduced to Norma Desmond, in garish glory trying to arrange a funeral for her pet primate.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

It's kind of twisted that a lot of Oscars over the years have been denied because of films miracously coming in the same year. This and Eve, Mockingbird and Lawrence(poor Peter), Chinatown and Godfather II, the mess that was 1937, etc.

Anyways this is one I still need to see. I doubt it'll match Eve's poweress for me but we'll see.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:02 pm
Team Kris

It's kind of twisted that a lot of Oscars over the years have been denied because of films miracously coming in the same year. This and Eve, Mockingbird and Lawrence(poor Peter), Chinatown and Godfather II, the mess that was 1937, etc.

Anyways this is one I still need to see. I doubt it'll match Eve's poweress for me but we'll see.

What's funnier is that Eve and Sunset are both about the show business. Eve was a fun, bitchy (lol) movie. This one's more... bizarre and darker.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:09 pm
You must have big rats

Not loving it as much as most do, but it is a very solid flick. Gloria Swanson is simply ecellent in it and should have won the Oscar for her performance. I simply cannot imagine anyone else pulling off a better performance that year. The screenplay is excellent too. I wasn't that impressed by the rest of the cast, though.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

B+

Not loving it as much as most do, but it is a very solid flick. Gloria Swanson is simply ecellent in it and should have won the Oscar for her performance. I simply cannot imagine anyone else pulling off a better performance that year. The screenplay is excellent too. I wasn't that impressed by the rest of the cast, though.

Oh, I'd think you'd be surprised, assuming you haven't seen Eve. To put things slight I consider Bette Davis's work in that film as pretty much the greatest performance that I have ever seen. I haven't seen Blvd., but I simply can't imagine Swanson possibly pulling off a better one.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:47 pm
You must have big rats

Well, Swanson's performance would be one of my all-time female favorites as well : )

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Yeah you should definitley check out Eve... Pretty sure its in my top 10 of all time, in terms of screenplay and acting I don't know if I've ever seen a finer film, I saw it on tv one night last year and it blew me away, and has since risen that far on my list, the best 'classic' I've personally seen. I'm anxious to see this film, at this point I think AAE winning Picture is one of the more righteous decisions the academy has made regardless of the quality of Blvd., but it should be a just comparison.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:57 pm
loyalfromlondon

Slightly overrated classic that is really only great at times because of Swanson's performances - the rest of the film doesn't live up. The crazed Norma Desmond has got to be one of the most bizarre and memorable characters in all of cinema, and Swanson really made it all happen. The story leaves something to be desired, even if it is well-written, as there's not a whole lot happening, and the acting, while good, never even comes close to Swanson's performance. That may be more due to Swanson than the others, but no one else really impressed. Certainly not all Oscar-calibre performances, as all of the main four were nominated. The direction is solid but not really impressive - I only got a sense of the bizarre through Swanson's performance, not the direction - and the jabs at Hollywood, while humorous, are pretty tame. Still, a memorable flick, though not one of the best of all time.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:43 pm
You must have big rats

Slightly overrated classic that is really only great at times because of Swanson's performances - the rest of the film doesn't live up. The crazed Norma Desmond has got to be one of the most bizarre and memorable characters in all of cinema, and Swanson really made it all happen. The story leaves something to be desired, even if it is well-written, as there's not a whole lot happening, and the acting, while good, never even comes close to Swanson's performance. That may be more due to Swanson than the others, but no one else really impressed. Certainly not all Oscar-calibre performances, as all of the main four were nominated. The direction is solid but not really impressive - I only got a sense of the bizarre through Swanson's performance, not the direction - and the jabs at Hollywood, while humorous, are pretty tame. Still, a memorable flick, though not one of the best of all time.

This is exactly what I thought of the movie.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Norma Desmond, oh my. I still prefer Bette Davis' performance, but Gloria Swanson delivered an all-time great as well. You couldn't imagine either of the roles played by anybody else. I do find the dark script effective too. Overall, an excellent movie. A-.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue May 29, 2007 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Sunset Blvd.
that ending scene with her is chilling, cool, classy and crazy.

The dialogue is just perfect and the movement and timing by her is just perfect.

Really amazing ending...

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I saw this last night. It's pretty great. Surprisingly a lot funnier than I expected. Swanson does a really good job with the physical comedy here, her facial twitches and reactions are perfect, bordering the line of hilarity and insanity without dipping into ridiculousness.

I have to echo the praises of the script - The narration really really added to the film, it was snazzy and Hollywood and perfect. William Holden's deliveries of course account for that too, his performance stands out much more than would normally be expected under Swanson. Stroheim and Olson also do their jobs in smaller roles, never resorting to slapstick for the first or cliche for the second.

And I think the last 15 minutes is nearly unmatchable. Not that Swanson wasn't very good up to that point, but when she starts going wide-eyed and internal, she reaches an entirely different level. The shooting is still riveting even though it was spoiled from the opening frame. (the body in the pool is one of the most perfect shots ever by the way)

Oh, and the set design in this movie is fantastic. The house becomes a character as fleshed out and memorable as any other.

Pretty much flawless. A

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:46 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I'm always amazed that DeMille played along with this dark, seedy fuck-you to Hollywood.

He was a conservative, pious prig right to the end.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:32 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Shack wrote:
I saw this last night. It's pretty great. Surprisingly a lot funnier than I expected. Swanson does a really good job with the physical comedy here, her facial twitches and reactions are perfect, bordering the line of hilarity and insanity without dipping into ridiculousness.

I have to echo the praises of the script - The narration really really added to the film, it was snazzy and Hollywood and perfect. William Holden's deliveries of course account for that too, his performance stands out much more than would normally be expected under Swanson. Stroheim and Olson also do their jobs in smaller roles, never resorting to slapstick for the first or cliche for the second.

And I think the last 15 minutes is nearly unmatchable. Not that Swanson wasn't very good up to that point, but when she starts going wide-eyed and internal, she reaches an entirely different level. The shooting is still riveting even though it was spoiled from the opening frame. (the body in the pool is one of the most perfect shots ever by the way)

Oh, and the set design in this movie is fantastic. The house becomes a character as fleshed out and memorable as any other.

Pretty much flawless. A

So who gives the all time best performance? Davis or Swanson? I still go with Swanson, but Davis comes right next.

Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:23 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

10/10 -> A

In the last few years I see this movie at least a couple of times per year. It only gets better. One of the best of all time. Up in the top for sure.

That reminds me. I haven't seen it since last year. It's time to put it in the DVD player. :whistle:

Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

No doubt this film has one of the best ending scenes ever.

Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:11 am
Profile WWW

I thought I'd already commented in here, but maybe not.

Anyway, this is a magnificient film, one of my all time favorites. I love the script and dialogue, I feel that the events, while seemingly minor, are made vital by the draw of the characters. What's actually happening may not be all that exciting but it is extremely absorbing and the characters magnify it by creating a personal interest in them. The dialogue is darkly funny and terribly smart. I also like that it provided more insight into hollywood's inner workings, and with more audacity and cynicism than any other film I've seen.

A Perfect Score

*Note, despite all this, it is not within a mile of All About Eve. I believe Swanson's performance to be superior to Davis' but that is the only thing that matches up. Everything else in AAE is far superior to SB, but they are both the best of the best.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:05 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Just as everyone else has stated, Swanson is fantastic. A great look at the conflict of silent film vs. talkies and the downward spiral of a promising career. The ending is top notch.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]