Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next
 Children of Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 79 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 109

Children of Men 
i break the rules, so i don't care

getluv wrote:
I've had this conversation in the Cinemania forums.

When? Looking at the "Children Of Men is a masterpiece" thread, your only real comment on its technical faults is:

getluv wrote:
Luckily I didn't fall asleep in the first five minutes. While I do think this is a good movie, I can't help but fault the problems in the end. I was also concerned with the lack of depth into the whole "why" issue, which puts it into a science fiction based film.

What problems in the end?

The "why" issue is something I'm a bit baffled people feel is a flaw. If they knew why people had stopped having babies, surely they'd be better equipped to sort out a cure. The whole reason the world's turned to anarchy and chaos is because people don't know "why" it's happened. It's the reason people were preaching on the streets and sects like "the flagilators" turned up. Being spoon-fed a reason for it would've detracted from the overall theme - hopelessness and confusion.

Besides anything else, "why" did AIDS come along? There are theories (boh scientific and conspiracy) about it, and, after years of investigation, there's some evidence to assume it evolved from SIV (simian immuno-deficiency virus), but that still leaves the question, where did SIV come from?

I'd be interested to know what the technical flaws you think the film had are?

Saying that, I appreciate that you "think this is a good movie"! Praise like that is enough to get you honorary membership in my Children Of Men Oscar Clean-up Club!

Well why didn't they make some sort of concrete explanation. This is sci-fi crap. The future is a mix of elements from the present, though the problem is that there seems to be no explanation as to why and how these elements have ended up together in the two decades that separate the audience from 2027.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:50 pm
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
getluv's still pissed about Prisoner of Azkaban.

That was a very sucky film. Bloody terrible.

Yeah, it changed so much from the book. Who cares if it's the best directed installment in the series? Or that the pacing's much better than the other three? Or that John Williams' score was Oscar-worthy?

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:00 pm

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:02 pm
Extraordinary

Say 'pointless filler.' Say that and I'll know you're eidnoreid from IMDb.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:05 pm

Prisoner of Azkaban was a cum bath. Children of Men was like witnessing a dog give birth to cat. Seriously I'm starting to hate this movie more.

I see another CRASH sort of occurrence, but I will be in the die mothafucker die side.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:10 pm
Teh Mexican

Excellent movie for sure! great acting. Loved the camara work...and the war scenes, great stuff :D
i was so looking foward on seeing Juliane Moore and damn, she got killed so early :glare:

A

Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:19 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Excellent movie for sure! great acting. Loved the camara work...and the war scenes, great stuff :D
i was so looking foward on seeing Juliane Moore and damn, she got killed so early :glare:

A

So can I count you as a bonafide member of the Children of Men Oscar Clean-up Club?

Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:53 pm
Teh Mexican

matatonio wrote:

A

So can I count you as a bonafide member of the Children of Men Oscar Clean-up Club?

OF course, Why Not!? :happy:

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:04 pm
New Server, Same X

Wow, did I love this movie. An hour or so in, I loved it. Then the action stuff at the end... wow.

[spoil]Although, once I saw Michael Caine, I knew bad things would happen to him. :cry:[/spoil]

Grade: A+

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:33 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Wow, did I love this movie. An hour or so in, I loved it. Then the action stuff at the end... wow.

[spoil]Although, once I saw Michael Caine, I knew bad things would happen to him. :cry:[/spoil]

I'd invite you to join the club, but I'm afraid there's a strict "No Mr. X's" rule.

Oh, what the hell, you can join just this once! Oh, I do spoil you!

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:09 pm
Begging Naked

Jesus. By the time this is actually released in the U.S., this could challenge The New World and King Kong for the title of longest thread, especially if we get a vocal hater. Zing?

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:54 pm

I really, am starting to hate this "above average" thriller. It does not deserve critical praise, except for Moore's and Caine's performance.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:56 pm
Extraordinary

Good to know you stick with your original opinion. "It's okay. Wait, people liked it? It sucks!!"

Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:40 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I really, am starting to hate this "above average" thriller. It does not deserve critical praise, except for Moore's and Caine's performance.

That's a natural response. When people notice something they think is mediocre/only good is receiving (what you feel is) undue high praise, it's only human nature to start to hate it a little more.

I dare say it happened with me and Batman Begins, United 93 and Saw. Well, maybe not United 93 and Saw... but certainly with Batman Begins, which I've rewatched a few times since first hating it, and found myself slightly enjoying it in spite of its massive, massive flaws.

If only there was a phrase or "buzz-word" that defined this bizarre propensity to start lashing back at the things we don't think deserve attention and praise... Ah well, I'll call it "Lashback".

Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:48 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Im the same on this one. You just knew it was coming!!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:08 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Mr. X wrote:

Indeed. No chance of a happy ending there.

The Julianne Moore bit was on the other end thou. completely unexpected.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:25 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

MadGez wrote:
Mr. X wrote:

*SPOILERS* You bet - that came out of left field and so early on. That whol sequence + the motorbike is still my favourite in the film. The film really came alve then.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:50 pm
New Server, Same X

Mr. X wrote:

I'd invite you to join the club, but I'm afraid there's a strict "No Mr. X's" rule.

Oh, what the hell, you can join just this once! Oh, I do spoil you!

I'd join, but I'm afraid I have a strict "Don't join any clubs started by Snrub" rule.

Oh, what the hell, I'll join just this once! Oh, I do spoil you!

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:59 pm
New Server, Same X

MadGez wrote:
Mr. X wrote:

[spoil]I liked the way he went, though. Only "Shaun of the Dead" and "Children of Men" have made good fart jokes.

"Quick, pull my finger!" *BANG!*[/spoil]

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:01 pm
College Boy Z

I better get around to seeing this soon before it gets so overhyped that The New World Effect kicks in and I'll hate it. I'm sort of tempted to hit up a torrent.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:39 pm
New Server, Same X

I better get around to seeing this soon before it gets so overhyped that The New World Effect kicks in and I'll hate it. I'm sort of tempted to hit up a torrent.

There is nothing worse than overhype (Shrek and Napolean Dynamite come to mind as examples for me). When I watched it (yesterday), I only knew that Snrub loved it, and Snrub's endorsement means as much to me as a box of nothing.

After seeing this, his endorsement now means a treasure chest of intrigue to me. A canister of innocent curiousity, perhaps?

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:51 pm
Top Poster

This is not really comparable at all to The New World despite sharing the same Cinematographer. It's more like a moderately-paced chase movie except with some similar elements to The Pianist and Black Hawk Down where you experience a lot of the scenes in the first-person perspective.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I also love how much information is packed into the scenes (newspaper clippings, news reports). You learn so much about the universe the film exists in, without anyone having to exactly discuss it via dialogue.

Definetly one for the DVD release where you can pause and read some of it.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:14 pm
The Original

Excellent direction, actors, camerawork etc.....Though I wishd there would have been just something more. You know there are movies you full enter the world of the movie and forget yourselfe...here I didnt......
Thought doesnt change the fact that it was excellent

9/10

Sure one of the better when not best movie of the year!

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next