Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Crank 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
C 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 24

Crank 
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Who can forget "Al Qaeda! Al Qaeda!"?! I was laughing till my stomach hurt. And then Chinatown...

I'M ALIVE. I laughed my head off during that.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:50 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Who can forget "Al Qaeda! Al Qaeda!"?! I was laughing till my stomach hurt. And then Chinatown...

That was awesome. I mean this is just absurd to the max, the whole scenery. And how he can only get going once he sees the young Asian girls, heh.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont-Kyro wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

That was awesome. I mean this is just absurd to the max, the whole scenery. And how he can only get going once he sees the young Asian girls, heh.

Or how he has to take a phone call during it as well. They really ramp up the insanity of it. The description given by the Asian girls afterwards is equally classic. Magnum Sized :lol: . Give that scriptwriter a hand.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:57 pm
You must have big rats

Then the scene when he watches himself on TV and the guy sees him...and his boner. :hahaha:

Really not bad for a first writing gig.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I found it to be more of a dark comedy than an action film. Besides the last 20 minutes, there really isn't a lot of action (It's scattered here and there and there are a couple of good gore shots) and the only reason why it works is because the comedy is actually pretty good. I mean how many movies can plausibly pass off having a car go up an escalator sideways? And the two scenes mentioned above are pretty damn good too.

The only places where I can fault the film are at the very beginning and at the very end. The very beginning is like Tony Scott on massive amounts of cocaine. The editing is somewhat stylish, but it's distracting and annoying. As for the ending, it was just flat out stupid.

Other than that though, it was a good film.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Except for Makeshift's sudden concern with the portrayal of women in film (maybe a recent "sensitivity" class?), the majority of people seem to be rating this film very high. I also think a lot of people clicked into the fact that this is an "action-comedy" rather than an "action-action" movie.

I'm happy to hear that many of you enjoyed it as much as I did...

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:50 am
Teenage Dream

Except for Makeshift's sudden concern with the portrayal of women in film (maybe a recent "sensitivity" class?), the majority of people seem to be rating this film very high. I also think a lot of people clicked into the fact that this is an "action-comedy" rather than an "action-action" movie.

Huh? As I said in the review I posted, I'm normally willing to let those type of things go in films (whether it's under the guise of auteurism, or just the trappings of the genre), but to me, Crank just took it too far.

Besides, it's not like that was my only complaint about the film. Infact, it was a simple tack-on to the end of my comments. My real issues with it were how episodic and boring it was.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:36 pm
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:

Huh? As I said in the review I posted, I'm normally willing to let those type of things go in films (whether it's under the guise of auteurism, or just the trappings of the genre), but to me, Crank just took it too far.

Besides, it's not like that was my only complaint about the film. Infact, it was a simple tack-on to the end of my comments. My real issues with it were how episodic and boring it was.

Fair enough.

(Luckily you were in the minority...)

:shades:

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:35 am
Extraordinary

The more I think of Makeshift's reaction to the portrayal of women in this movie, particularly the lead female role of Eve (played by Amy Smart) -- the more and more nostalgic I become for the days I also used to have that idealized view of women.

Before I met a variety of real women, with real lives, in the real world, I too had visions of perfection.

Yes! A life without compromise, utopian estrogen, a virgin POV...

But alas & alleluia -- women are people just like us. Human beings with human lives and human foibles.

The fact that I loved the true portrayal of Eve in this film does not diminish my respect for women by even one-tenth of an iota!

All hail womankind!

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:00 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I didnt expect Crank to be good but it came out much better than I expected. Its definately the most entertaining movie of the year and the dark violent humor only added more to the movie. It was like a blend of Transporters combined with Falling Down & GTA and it pulls no punches in its stereotype at all

A

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:11 pm
We had our time together

Like the people above me said this was one hell of a ride. Very entertaing and Statham was great. B+

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:58 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I didnt expect Crank to be good but it came out much better than I expected. Its definately the most entertaining movie of the year and the dark violent humor only added more to the movie. It was like a blend of Transporters combined with Falling Down & GTA and it pulls no punches in its stereotype at all

A

Pretty much agree. The movie is fucking insane in every way. I wasn't really hoping for A+ action sequences (I actually had no idea what the movie was about), so I wasn't disappointed. It's just one fun fucking movie. It reminds me of my reaction to "Shaun of the Dead" in 2004. I had no clue what to expect, and ended up loving it. "Shaun" has since become my favorite movie. I can't say "Crank" will be my favorite movie of all time, or even in my top 20. But it's in my favorites list! I loved it.

Grade: A

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:47 am
On autopilot for the summer

Wow, I really liked this fillm. I love Statham, and while a fan of his since he came out in Lock Stock and Snatch, I loved him in the crazy action genre.

I really enjoyed the pacing, and while the acting was pretty dreb outside of Statham, the movie really got me excited. I enjoyed it thoroughly. A-. The action film of the year for me.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:01 am
loyalfromlondon

Wild and crazy action flick that puts the viewer right in the shoes of the lead character, as it never slows down or lets up. Some cool camera tricks and quick editing can't totally obscure the transparent story and rather bland performances. Amy Smart nearly ruins the whole movie with her annoying, unredeemable, over-the-top character, but Statham manages to deliver another solid, if unoriginal, role. Some hilarious moments, but the end vaults over the top into unreal, cartoonish action. Still, an entertaining flick.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:15 pm
Top Poster

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:04 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Losts of crazy action, Not retarded action Like Transporter two and charlies angels full trottle. the film is a fun ride from start to finish.

B

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:09 am
Cream of the Crop

Crank reminded me Borat Sagdeyiv. Just like Borat, Crank is offensive, sexist, racist, and silly. Yet, it's original, very funny, and it's almost impossible not to like. People looking for logic, character development and whatnot should look somewhere else. On the other hand, people looking for 90 minutes of fun will probably like it. I mean, I doubt you're going to see a love scene in the middle of Chinatown in any other film this year. Not to mention a car chase inside in a shopping mall, and a guy getting a blowjob during a car chase. Kudos to the directors for improving on Tony Scott's directing style, so that it actually helps the film instead of hurting it (Scott's Domino comes to mind) Statham is excellent, as ususal. He redeemed himself after the mediocre Transporter 2. 7.5/10.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Post Re: Crank
It was fun and all but i cant get over the stupidity...

C

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:34 pm
Extraordinary

CRANK

GRADE - D

I rented this a while back and I'm a bit shocked some people would even rate this nonsense an A. Yes, it had action but it wasn't even that memorable or interesting. I can barely remember a lick of this film other than him having to snort cocaine in the bathroom to keep his heart moving. The movie was certainly crazy and over the top but that doesn't make it good or interesting.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:17 pm
He didn't look busy?!

i don't know what the hell I thought of this. It's an amazing concept with amazing execution... but at the same time, it's the most immoral movie I've ever seen, and some of the things he does are pretty damn hard to buy, even if you're in the mood for a movie this ridiculous. I really don't know. But all I know is that it was one hour and a half of high-voltage (and occasionally hilarious -- the sex in public) adrenaline, and that Jason Statham is the biggest bad-ass of his generation. It's all it should've been.

B+

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I rewatched this a couple of weeks ago and still liked it a lot. It's the best Jason Statham has done as a lead so far. Completely ridiculuous, but the novelty doesn't wear off even with the second viewing. Its still a bit too silly and cheap-looking in some spots and all, so I stick with my original B+.

But boy, it's some FUN!

"I'm alive...I'M ALIIVE!!!"

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Heard a lot about this and saw it on TV right now.

Lol this movie is soo silly and funny and fun!!!

B

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Seen it before, but watched it again this weekend. Got this and the second one mixed up a bit. Good, fun, manic, kinetic films, with great Statham performances and a great sense of humour. This is the type of adult cinema that is rarely made nowadays, but when it is, it is savoured.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3