Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kill Bill: Vol. 1 

What grade would you give this film?
A 87%  87%  [ 27 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 31

College Boy Z

Post Kill Bill: Vol. 1

Quote:
Kill Bill is a two-part action thriller film released in 2003 and 2004 by writer-director Quentin Tarantino, and starring Uma Thurman as The Bride. Originally conceived as one film, it was released in two "volumes" (in late 2003 and early 2004) due to its running time of approximately four hours and presented in a nonlinear narrative style, as is common among Tarantino's films.

The film is an epic-length revenge drama, with homages to earlier film genres, such as Hong Kong martial arts films, Japanese chanbara films, exploitation films and Italian spaghetti westerns; an extensive use of popular music and pop culture references; and aestheticization of violence. Filming took place in California, Texas, Beijing, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Mexico.

It's hard to pick one over the other for me, because while this one has a lot more of the great action I expected and wanted from this overall film, I was much more involved in Volume II.

But still, kick ass flick.

A-

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:17 am
Devil's Advocate

Love the action, but not much else. This is the better of the two though, it is just a lot more fun.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:55 am
All Star Poster

Another Near perfect film from Taratino, but I thought the first 40 minuts of the film where pretty disturbing. Afther that I think Vol. 1 was reaching Pulp levels of awsomeness

A

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:11 am
Mod Team Leader

Kill Bill is a fraud. Terrible, terrible movie! SPOILERS

Spoilers within this post. Enter at your own risk!

I just got back from the noon showing of Kill Bill in which the theater was half full (for a noon showing, that is huge. The theater is one of the bigger ones at the Queensway in Toronto, so it will do well this weekend). What I witnessed in that 100 minutes in the theater can only be described as Tarantino's flipping of the bird to all of us as he looks in the mirror and congratulates himself on being the smartest man in the world. Straight up, Kill Bill is one of the biggest disappointments I have seen in my life. After masterpieces like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction and other greats like True Romance, you would think that Kill Bill would live up to those lofty expectations bestowed upon it by virtue and name recognition alone. But not only has Tarantino told us all to **** off, he he has done it while laughing in our faces.

Kill Bill has all of Tarantino's quirky and weird trademarks in it. And it contains strange techniques that at first you think is simply an homage to a film genre. But in reality, what QT did here was get too cute and at the expense of artistic integrity. What we are left with is more Matrix style garbage, a 10 minute anime introduction to Lucy Lui's character, black and white photography for no reason and the bleeping out of the bride's name just because he can. All of this is looked at as being brilliant by the critics and those in similar circles because Tarantino has a free pass right now. His films have enamoured critics for 10 years now and this one is no different even though it is a shadow of the opulence that we are used to from him. To sum it up, this film is all style and has no substance. The style is there, but for what purpose? Why does he choose to do the things that he does? Is it just because he can? Or is it because he thinks he is so much more clever than the rest of us? You guys thought Matrix Reloaded was pretentious, this film might as well be the Architect meets Socrates meets Locke, meets Rouseau meets Japanese smart guy meets Marx. That is how it comes across. Pretentious doesn't even begin to describe it. There is even a blatant rip off of the burly brawl in this film right down to beings jumping up a flight of steps to come and meet the heroine.

I knew I was in trouble five minutes into the film when it just didn't feel right. You know how in Pulp you just knew you were in for something special? You just felt it with the dialogue, the acting, the soundtrack and everything that encompassed the film. Well Kill Bill has the opposite feel to it. None of that magic is present and it is just a bunch of people getting sliced and diced and maimed. There is no snappy dialogue and that is what QT is good at. Tarantino is a lyrical genius and he abandons that here and goes Wachowski Brothers on us and it just doesn't work.

I despised this film with every fibre of my body and it left me in a p***ed off and foul mood. Shame on you QT. Shame on you for starting to believe everything that was said about you. Now wipe that stupid smile off your face and go clean Harvey's shoes and polish his golf clubs. There is a lot of sychophantic baloney going on here and I thought you were bigger than that.

F or a 1 out of 10.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Essentially a film about the love of film and filmmaking.

A+

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:28 am
Profile YIM WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I thought there was a thread for this already. I remember drooling over Sophie somewhere.

Anyway, this is one of those rare films that improved with age for me. I liked it at first (gave it a B), but after watching it (over and over and over), I appreciated more and more what Tarantino was going for with this genre cinema stuff. He did it perfectly!

As for the film, it perhaps feels a bit uneven to the layman, but the excessive violence that dominates the last act isn't unlike what had come before it in some of the movies that it drew it's inspiration from. The characters and back story are all extremely interesting, the chicks are hot, QT's dialogue is tight, and it does an outstanding job leading into Part 2. Plus, it's got Sophie, that goddess of goddesses!

It also features a song on the soundtrack that my father and uncle are very responsible for!

A-

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:16 am
loyalfromlondon

It's hard for me to pick which of the two volumes I like more, mainly because they're so different in style. I think I like this one a bit more, just because the action is top-notch and it's very fast paced. There's not a whole lot of story here, which works fine, but it does feel like a bit of a letdown at the end, possibly because it's so much shorter than the other volume. I liked a lot of the artistic touches (the massive blood spurts, the anime backstory, the stylized fighting) but I felt it became too much at times; I don't know if 'pretentious' is the right word, but that's what I felt at times. Still, it's a pretty good action flick, if a bit too over-the-top.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:21 pm
Stanley Cup

Tarantino makes masterpieces, end of story.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:32 pm
life begins now

A-

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:57 am
Profile YIM
problem?

Both volumes together, Kill Bill is my favorite movie of all time. I wish they'd release the DVD that has both volumes cut together into the four hour masterpiece that it is.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:24 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Both volumes together, Kill Bill is my favorite movie of all time. I wish they'd release the DVD that has both volumes cut together into the four hour masterpiece that it is.

Yep. Well it is my second favorite of all time. So fucking brilliant on every level.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:14 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The scene at the House of Bluelight or whatever it was called was probably the BEST Sword battle with carnage to boot in any movie I've ever seen.. That took my breath away..

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

One movie I really enjoy watching repeatedly. I think I paid to see 3 or 4 times in theatres and I hardly do that save for SW films. Simple plot filled with interested characters and fun bloody action. A couple things I really enjoy about a QT film is the soundtrack and this one is very memorable but I hate that they didn't put in that clip in the club after the french girl is captured by the bride. The other thing is how QT incorporates various film genre and styles into his films. I like his movie geekiness and his direction. I know that I'm gonna get my money's worth when I see a QT film.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:17 am
Another You

Post Re: Kill Bill Vol. 1
Saw it for the first time in four years. If you count Sin City as a QT fiLm, this is his 2nd best fiLm to date (have yet to see VoL. 2). That Japanese girL and her meteor hammer was fucking hot as heLL.

A

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:57 pm
why so serious?

I prefer Volume 2, but the first half of the massive story is a pretty damn entertaining trip in and of itself. Uma Thurman does the best work of her career (hell, these movies and Pulp Fiction are the only roles of hers I've ever really liked)as "The Bride," and she's great here (though a little better in Volume 2). The showdown at the House of Blue Leaves is one of the most insane things I've ever seen.

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 4, A-

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 pm
Forum General

This movie, quite simply, fucking rocks.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:43 pm
Romosexual!

Jiffy208 wrote:
This movie, quite simply, fucking rocks.

A+ :ninja:

Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:04 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

A+

One of the best movies of all time. Kill Bill vol 2 is better though.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:16 pm
Angels & Demons

Kill Bill was amazing. A
Kill Bill 2 was one of the most disappointing movies ever. The final "fight" was 10 seconds long! First half-B+. Second half-D. Still, overall B-.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:12 pm
Extraordinary

Here's my original review from October 2003:

If you're into that 'completion' thing, maybe you better hold your horses till February when Pt. II comes out, or wait for one of them newfangled DVD thingies. If, however, you're into a visceral, kinetic, referential MOVIE, maybe you oughta go out of your abode and see Kill Bill. Some scenes do go on too long, and maybe the director's cut of the two parts'll be shorter than the theatrical version, but, no ifs, ands, or buts you'll want experience the cool o' Tarantino in the now. Or you'll be unhip and not with it... man!

(PS: Quentin, one Star Trek reference woulda been enough, even for the fans.)

4 out of 5 (as Pt. I standing alone).

Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:03 pm
He didn't look busy?!

it's cooler than the second one, but not as good. Still, shows that Tarantino knows how to make a fuckin' kick-ass movie.

A-

Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

it's amazing how he picked the right music to go with the scenes.
at times you want the characters to do nothing so you could just listen to the music.

A+

it's on MTV right now btw. started watching it during the big fight against teh crazy 88s.
they're airing it again right after it ends. :wub2:

Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:23 am
Wallflower

I saw this movie back when it first hit DVD. I liked it, but didn't love it. I've been wanting to see it again so I rented the Blu-ray. I liked it a bit more this time around. It's a pretty cool flick. I remember liking Volume II more though so we'll see what I think when I watch that one again. Wish they'd just release "The Whole Bloody Affair" already.

Anyway, I originally gave Volume 1 a B, but would now go with a B+.

Cannot stop listening to the song "You Shot Me Down" now. It's amazing.

Sun May 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Post Re: Kill Bill: Vol. 1
It is kinda too action heavy, and it is hard to get invested in the characters with this part of the film, but once it goes together with volume two, yeah, it's a lot better.

This film does have a very nice section in the animated background to Lucy Liu's character, easily my favorite part of this half of the film.

A-

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:24 pm
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

Post Re: Kill Bill: Vol. 1
A-

Same as Vol. 2 for me.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next