Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mystic River 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Mystic River 
The Lubitsch Touch

I guess I'm the voice of dissent here. I know of a certain other poster here who isn't a fan, but I'll keep his identity secret for now. Clint's steady directorial hand is present and welcome, but the movie doesn't work. The entire plot hinges on a series of utterly ridiculous coincidences and misunderstandings, climaxing in a finale that's frustrating and overblown.

Plus, the movie couldn't have had less resonance for me if it was about Martians trying to buy a DVD of The Longest Yard.

I thought the performances by Penn and Robbins (The 'vampire' speech had me laughing like a madman) were wildly overrated, but Marcia Gay Harden's understated work was quite effective (I was happy when the Oscars acknowledged her).

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:00 pm
Extraordinary

I found Mystic River to be quite engrossing, but engrossing in a souped-up episode of Law & Order kinda way. The performances were good, though a tad overwrought and the story is an example of the dictionary definition of 'contrived'. Shakespeare might be able to get away with this sort of thing, but Dirty Harry fumbled the .45 Magnum on this dissembling assembly. Unforgiven was much, much better. It's a shame too, what with all those good actors just running around in circles. Still, despite all of that, it was okay seeing it the once.

3 out of 5.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:38 pm
Forum General

I found Mystic River to be quite engrossing, but engrossing in a souped-up episode of Law & Order kinda way. The performances were good, though a tad overwrought and the story is an example of the dictionary definition of 'contrived'. Shakespeare might be able to get away with this sort of thing, but Dirty Harry fumbled the .45 Magnum on this dissembling assembly. Unforgiven was much, much better. It's a shame too, what with all those good actors just running around in circles. Still, despite all of that, it was okay seeing it the once.

3 out of 5.

Agreed.

Some superb direction, I thought, but I found the whole thing to be a bit overt: obvious Shakespearean characterizations (Laura Linney's character didn't work for me), some straining performances (Tim Robbins didn't do it for me either), and a plotline that concluded, in my opinion, rather lazily.

Some have talked of a 'sickening' feeling after having watched this one, and while I understand, I just didn't find it powerful enough to relate. Million Dollar Baby, though? Yes.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Its just dull, pedestrian stuff..might as well be a tv movie except with Hollywood stars.

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

This movie should have won the best picture of 2003, because it was a superior film in every way to the movie that was selected.

Well said.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Maverikk wrote:
This movie should have won the best picture of 2003, because it was a superior film in every way to the movie that was selected.

Well said.

Ditto.

And the last scene, with SPOILERS Marcia Gay Harden alone, trying to get a reaction from his son at the parade END SPOILERS was one of the most heartbreakings moments of the last few years for me.

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Its just dull, pedestrian stuff..might as well be a tv movie except with Hollywood stars.

I find it very shocking on the rare occasions that we agree...

:shocked:

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:56 am
Some days I'm a super bitch

I loved it. Great character development and direction. The thing I like about Eastwood movies is that he seems to know what to focuss on and what to leave out. It's definately in the top tier somewhere (A-/A)

Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:24 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Mystic River
I won't go into detail but this a shockingly gritty and tragically touching movie with incredible performances and fantastic direction. The second best movie of 2003 (yes, behind ROTK). Penn in particular blew me away.
10/10 (better than any 2008 movie)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:40 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Mystic River
Meh.

***/**** B

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2