Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 18 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 16 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby 
Mod Team Leader

well, will ferrell's movies are usually absolutely hilarious (old school/elf), or extremely disappointing (anchorman/kicking and screaming/bewitched), and i'd classify talladega nights in the disappointing category. while it wasn't as bad as anchorman, i was seriously underwhelmed. it had a few big laughs, but for the most part it was bland, and downright boring in a few spots.

C+/B-

Very nicely said. :smile:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Leader of the Pack

Talladega Nights = Best Comedy of 2006
40 Year Old Virgin = Best Comedy of 2005
Anchorman = Best Comedy of 2004 and tied for best comedy of all time....

But for me and i dont know why, but i LOVE Dracula Dead and Loving It. I think it has some of the funniest moments ever, but i have not met another person that agrees with me lol. But yah the Ferrell/McKay/Carell/Apatow movies are the best out there these days no question about it.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:52 pm

Really funny! Does not top Anchorman, but I can't say I expected it to. Will Ferrell is at his A-game here, but he is supported by a strong supporting cast, with fun turns from John C. Reilly, Sascha Baron Cohen, Michael Clarke Duncan, Gary Cole and (despite being horribly underused) Amy Adams. Fun times. B+

For the first hal fof the film I kept wonering why she bothered, but she does get one good scene and that great line at the end with Gary Cole.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:46 am
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I thought it was good, but it did not rise to the level of Will Ferrell's other work. I like everyone involved a lot, and thought all the actors did a teriffic job. However, I thought there were a few times where the movie was a little slower than it should have been. Perhaps it didn't hit squarely with me because I don't like NASCAR, or it could have been the fact that I've seen the trailer about 1 billion times so that a lot of the funnier jokes felt a little tired. Still it had some solid laughs, some great scenes, and was filled with very good performances. I'll go with a B

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:31 pm
Where will you be?

I think I'm in the "not as good as 40 Year-Old Virgin, but better then Anchorman, Wedding Crashers etc" side for this one, at least on first viewing. I'd be lying if I said on first viewing I laughed at Talladega Nights more then I did with Anchorman, but honestly I thought it was much more well made.

What I was so impressed with was how much grace Talladega Nights had it's cake and ate it too. It embraces the stereotypes and conventions of Nascar, and at the same time completely tears the "sport" apart in every aspect. I can't fathom how anyone could fail to pick up that the product placements were over-the-top in jest. "If you don't chew Big Red, you can go fuck off." At the same time, it doesn't completely ridicule the drivers to the level where it has no respect for them. Both Ferrell and John C. Reilly are characters very easy to feel for. Infact, the entire cast is uniformly great, although I will say that the screen time certain characters have felt pretty wonky. The film has clearly made the test screening rounds, which is probably why audience favorites like his kids had such an unwieldly amount of screen time while Amy Adams is all but an afterthought up until the last 25 minutes.

Even if it has lulls where the laughs are a bit harder to come by, I still laughed more then I have since The 40 Year-Old Virgin. Maybe it didn't impress me as much as I could have in that area, but I was pleasantly surprised by so many other things about the movie that I'm giving Talladega Nights a strong B+.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:56 am

I think I'm in the "not as good as 40 Year-Old Virgin, but better then Anchorman, Wedding Crashers etc" side for this one, at least on first viewing. I'd be lying if I said on first viewing I laughed at Talladega Nights more then I did with Anchorman, but honestly I thought it was much more well made.

It was definitely better then Wedding Crashers, which dragged at the end, and not as good as 40.

I guess I have to bite the bullet and finally see Anchorman.

MovieDude wrote:
What I was so impressed with was how much grace Talladega Nights had it's cake and ate it too. It embraces the stereotypes and conventions of Nascar, and at the same time completely tears the "sport" apart in every aspect. I can't fathom how anyone could fail to pick up that the product placements were over-the-top in jest. "If you don't chew Big Red, you can go fuck off." At the same time, it doesn't completely ridicule the drivers to the level where it has no respect for them. Both Ferrell and John C. Reilly are characters very easy to feel for.

Agreed, I was concerned that it would go to much one way or the other, but it struck the perfect balance between respecting that alot of its audience will like Mascar and making fun of Nascar, they allowed the audience to be in on the Nascar jokes rather then be the butt of the jokes.

MovieDude wrote:
Infact, the entire cast is uniformly great, although I will say that the screen time certain characters have felt pretty wonky. The film has clearly made the test screening rounds, which is probably why audience favorites like his kids had such an unwieldly amount of screen time while Amy Adams is all but an afterthought up until the last 25 minutes.

Adams is good when she finally gets to talk, but yeah for the most of the film you are like, why is she here?

MovieDude wrote:
Even if it has lulls where the laughs are a bit harder to come by, I still laughed more then I have since The 40 Year-Old Virgin. Maybe it didn't impress me as much as I could have in that area, but I was pleasantly surprised by so many other things about the movie that I'm giving Talladega Nights a strong B+.

Sometimes I think we as serious moviegoers always want to be impressed, at the end of the day the movie made me laugh, did it sacends comcedy to new hieghts, well no, but it was funny and that's says given how often I am in theater and not really laughing.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:10 am
Golfaholic

A so-so experience. 50 percent of the jokes leave you rolling on the floor, the rest totally fails. It's either hit or miss, nothing else. Unfortunately though the good jokes and the bad jokes come in bunches so you get 15 hilarious minutes and after that 15 boring minutes. Sascha Baron Cohen is extremely funny as the french driver but even his schtick gets tired after 15 minutes. C

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:12 pm
Forum General

Quite terrible. Maybe not my kind of humour. But I found it to be quite boring, quite unfunny, quite silly and quite the disappointment. The last 15 minutes were pretty decent and ye, Gary Cole was good and so was the French dude. But still, I just don't think Ferrel is that funny.

5.5/10

I'm with ya again on this one, baumer.

Like Anchorman, for me it was about three or four laughs, a couple giggles, and the rest remininscent of SNL bits. Two hours of SNL bits just... hardcore bombing. Bombing.

C-

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Steve Carell is better than Will Farrell.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:33 pm
Sbil

Never saw Anchorman, it didn;t look that funny to me, anyway, loved this film, I was hestitant to see it but in the end I was cracking up the whole time. The cast fully committs to this overtop satire and it works so well.

I loved the scene b/w Rielly and Ferrell, maybe you could let me win once...classic.

Holy crap. Ripper, you need to see Anchorman.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:36 pm
Forum General

Steve Carell is better than Will Farrell.

After this and Ron Burgundy, I won't contest that.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Not as good as Anchorman (where, the supporting performances were much sharper and Brick, Champ and Fontana are actually funnier than anything in this film).

Not as good as 40 Year Old Virgin.

Still pretty entertaining.

My favorite moment was "Get outtttt!!!"

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Not as good as Anchorman (where, the supporting performances were much sharper and Brick, Champ and Fontana are actually funnier than anything in this film).

Not as good as 40 Year Old Virgin.

What is this film missing?

Paul Rudd. His roles in Anchorman and 40 Year Old Virgin really stole a lot of scenes. He quickly became one of my favorite comedic actors.

Of course, you could argue that Steve Carrell is missing, too. :unsure:

I just prefer the Ruddster.

Anchorman, 40 Year Old Virgin and Talladega Nights have been my 3 favorite comedies, by far, in the 2000s.

:glare:

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:29 am
Veteran

Post Dear Lord Baby Jesus!!
Nobody mentions Jean Girard's qoute and I am butchering it, "We want to retire to Stockholm and devise a currency for cats and dogs." The absurdity of the joke had me laughing for about two minutes.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Post Re: Dear Lord Baby Jesus!!
mdana wrote:
Nobody mentions Jean Girard's qoute and I am butchering it, "We want to retire to Stockholm and devise a currency for cats and dogs." The absurdity of the joke had me laughing for about two minutes.

Probably because no one could remember it! But yeah, that line is hilarious. I really find it funny when people who are dumb realize when something else is dumb in these movies, like Ricky Bobby's reaction to it.

:glare:

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:08 pm
---------

I loved this movie sooo much. The funniest line: "Let's pry it out with THIS knife"!! I didn't think the scene could get any funnier, but WOW. The marketers did a great job of not putting the funny scenes in the trailer, most of those clips weren't even in this!! I felt they did a good job on making a scene about prayer funny without specifically making fun of the religion itself though. The little red-haired kid was awesome. As everyone has said, the commercial during the car crash was soo great. I also loved the father selling his free tickets, and when Ricky Bobby and Cal are talking at 2 AM and Ricky keeps getting in disbelief on why he is still talking to Cal.

Grade: A-

One question: What was with Ricky Bobby's haunted house phone call??? That seems to lead to a good deleted scene.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:07 pm
Extraordinary

I found it really... flat. Not one I probably would revisit. Really dissapointing, since I guess you could say I kinda loved Anchorman.

Could have used better supporting characters, and more Amy Adams. I like Ferrell, just not here.

C-.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:55 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

I thought it was really really funny. As funny as Anchorman? I'm not sure. Anchorman took me three times to finally come around, but when I did, I fell in love with it. Talladega may be the same way. My only two major problems with it are (like someone else mentioned):
-Where is Paul Rudd!? (Steve Carrell would be nice too, but jeez man, PAUL RUDD!)
-The make-out scene. I have nothing against homosexuals, and a lot of the homosexual jokes were quite funny, but this just went on much too long. A lot of groans in the theater.

The film quality-wise is a huge step up from McKay's last work (Anchorman). The cinematography is much more impressive this time around and the film is smoother in transitioning from scene to scene. Good effort all around, but I'm not sure if it'll end up in that classic category yet.

A-

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:37 am
College Boy Z

"I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't like Big Red, then fuck you."

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:41 pm
Forum General

*cricket*

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Shocker, considering that you hate almost every Frat Pack film, at least since Anchorman. :smile:

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:10 pm
Extraordinary

We still quote that line at least once a week around my house...

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:49 pm
Forum General

Shocker, considering that you hate almost every Frat Pack film, at least since Anchorman. :smile:

No.

Well, yes.

Pretty much.

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

A solid piece of comedy with around the same level of humour as Anchorman althou it suffers from some dull moments especially the 15 minutes in the middle were Ferrell is trying to pick himself up again and I wanted to shoot myself with the boredom. Of course being a massive F1 fan I found the idea that an F1 champ would take a step down to NASCAR pretty stupid but this movie is pretty silly so i'll forgive it.

Best line? "Highlander was shit"

B-

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:53 pm
Top Poster

C. This is based on the unrated, uncut dvd. The first half was kind of funny, but the second half bored me to death.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next