Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 18 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 16 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby 
Sbil

Oftentimes I found myself laughing at some jokes for an extended period of time. Shining example is the Applebee's commercial that cut during the "longest crash ever." Oh, and the Baby Jesus bit, with the "mischeevious" thing. :hahaha: The film just slightly loses its stride when Ricky was actually in shambles, after the hospital scenes. Nontheless, I enjoyed this film! No Anchorman but still lots of memorable, random lines ("I thank Baby Jesus that my sons don't talk like retarded gangbangers anymore").

Hahahahahaha. I laughed harder at that than anything else, I swear I was still laughing like 5 minutes later.

I also really enjoyed Amy Adams' "Ricky Bobby is not a thinker, Ricky Bobby is a driver!" speech. Like James Berardinelli, I was reminded of Samuel L. Jackson in Deep Blue Sea, except she didn't get eaten by a shark right afterward.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:21 am
Team Kris

Christian wrote:
Oftentimes I found myself laughing at some jokes for an extended period of time. Shining example is the Applebee's commercial that cut during the "longest crash ever." Oh, and the Baby Jesus bit, with the "mischeevious" thing. :hahaha: The film just slightly loses its stride when Ricky was actually in shambles, after the hospital scenes. Nontheless, I enjoyed this film! No Anchorman but still lots of memorable, random lines ("I thank Baby Jesus that my sons don't talk like retarded gangbangers anymore").

Hahahahahaha. I laughed harder at that than anything else, I swear I was still laughing like 5 minutes later.

I also really enjoyed Amy Adams' "Ricky Bobby is not a thinker, Ricky Bobby is a driver!" speech. Like James Berardinelli, I was reminded of Samuel L. Jackson in Deep Blue Sea, except she didn't get eaten by a shark right afterward.

I actually fell out of my seat holding my tummy while laughing. And I noticed that everyone was still laughing and giggling after that bit was done. So yeah, it was probably 5 minutes for me as well.

At least they gave Amy Adams a killer scene in the bar. I thought her role was done for after Ricky's accident.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:28 am
Team Kris

Oh and I was arguing with my friend about this, can anyone give a definite answer? Did he name the cougar Carrot or Karen? I was busy laughing when he mentioned the name as the cougar popped up to place its paw on the DMV employee.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:30 am
College Boy Z

Ricky: "Why do you want to listen to the stereo and watch TV at the same time?"
Cal: "'Cause I love to PARTY."

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:41 am
Squee

Best movie of the year. (I've only seen 5)

So funny. Surprised at the lack of cameos from The News Crew, though!

By the way, I suggest instead of calling them the "frat pack," which is lame, we now start calling them "The News Crew." It includes all of them (except Owen, but he wasn't in Old School, either) but then we could also include Paul Rudd, who is proving to be an excellent co-star in these movies. Plus, it isn't as lame as "The Frat Pack."

Anyway....

:glare:

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:16 am
Commander and Chef

sowhat about the advertising on this film. was it more of a product placement thing or were they making fun of the blatant advertising you see in films these days?

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

product placement. at least i didnt see anything to suggest it was satirical.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:02 pm
Squee

sowhat about the advertising on this film. was it more of a product placement thing or were they making fun of the blatant advertising you see in films these days?

I'd say it was more making fun of Nascar.

Have you seen how big of whores everyone in NASCAR is?

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:58 pm
Extraordinary

How can anyone say it wasn't spoofing product placement -- especially with his final sponsor!!!

:hahaha:

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:58 pm
Squee

How can anyone say it wasn't spoofing product placement -- especially with his final sponsor!!!

:hahaha:

I don't care about obvious product placement as long as they make it funny.

Wayne's World was hilarious.

So was the deal he signed that required them to say powerade at every session of Grace.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

I think the product placement was on purpose, and it worked as a joke, but I'd bet they still raked in a shitload of cash for all of it. The Applebees thing dwarfs Castaway. :)

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:11 pm
Teenage Dream

Not nearly as funny as Anchorman (which was one of those ultra-rare, lightning in a bottle type comedies anyway), but still pretty hilarious. It hits a couple of big time lulls (pretty much whenever the plot kicks in) and there's not nearly enough of Ferrell's trademark adlibbed ranting, but there are some bits of pure comedy gold.

B, or ***

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:30 am
Indiana Jones IV

NASCAR was ripe for parody, largest sport/southern and commericalism... Anyone could get a decal...

How to make a parody???

Introduce an arch-enemy to KFC and Budweiser... and this is the brillance of Perrier... anti-positioned in most ways to NASCAR.. The idea became a character.. true story..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the egg or the chicken???

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Many people in this thread have mentioned that they consider Anchorman to be above this film. I couldn't dissagree more, I find this film vastly superior to Anchorman. I also think it is better than Wedding Crashers.

Someone else said that they found 40 Year Old Virgin to be better, that I agree with as well.

The film is good, stupid, but good nonetheless. Packed theater, college theater, all kids my age, people cracking up throughout the movie, great response fromt he crwd afterward. I personally loved it.

I think if you liked movies like Dodgeball and Anchorman, then this is a sure bet for you.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:02 am
Profile WWW
King Albert!

Hilarious Spoof. I think this the funniest of the Will Farrell movies as well.

A-

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:14 am
Profile WWW

Never saw Anchorman, it didn;t look that funny to me, anyway, loved this film, I was hestitant to see it but in the end I was cracking up the whole time. The cast fully committs to this overtop satire and it works so well.

I loved the scene b/w Rielly and Ferrell, maybe you could let me win once...classic.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:49 am
Squee

omg Ripper, no! Anchorman is possibly the funniest movie EVER!!!!!! Don't quote me on that. :unsure:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:24 pm
Squee

Odd,

Many people in this thread have mentioned that they consider Anchorman to be above this film. I couldn't dissagree more, I find this film vastly superior to Anchorman.

Anchorman has something this movie doesn't. Paul Rudd. :yes:

And it's more quotable, too.

Like the only quotable line from this movie is that 98% of us are heading towards death.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:27 pm
Commander and Chef

@Ripper: That scene is extremely funny if you follow Formula 1. Though i doubt the film makers were aware of this, the most famous race car driver in the world right now is Michael Schumacher. He is also, a dick. His contract stipulates that his team mates will step down for him if he is ever behind them. One of his teammates for years was Rubens Barrichello, a driver most of the grand prix world loves due to his innocence and niceness and the fact that Schumi won on 3 occasions because barrichello had to give the win to schumi 20 meters before crossing the finish line. Ricky Bobby's situation sounded much the same.

@Eagle: This movie made me laugh more but i think anchorman had some charm about it that is difficult to duplicate. like squee said, its one of the most quotable movies of our time.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

The first time I saw Anchorman in theaters I thought it was funny but not that funny. It pretty much grew on me the more I watch it on cable and dvd. Talledegah Nights was consistently funny throughout and it was funnier for me in the theaters than Anchorman was. Kingpin is still the best laughout comedy ever

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:21 pm

The first time I saw Anchorman in theaters I thought it was funny but not that funny. It pretty much grew on me the more I watch it on cable and dvd. Talledegah Nights was consistently funny throughout and it was funnier for me in the theaters than Anchorman was. Kingpin is still the best laughout comedy ever

Preach on my brotha, though I'd through Bowfinger up there with Kingpin.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:12 pm
Extraordinary

El_Masked_fuerte_grande wrote:

Preach on my brotha, though I'd through Bowfinger up there with Kingpin.

Hallelujah!

Yay, brethren -- I still remember my holy theatre ringing with joyous laughter, upon visitation by the Kingpin of heaven...

:noangel:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:48 pm
Squee

Kingpin = The brother's best movie by far.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:56 pm
George A. Romero

well, will ferrell's movies are usually absolutely hilarious (old school/elf), or extremely disappointing (anchorman/kicking and screaming/bewitched), and i'd classify talladega nights in the disappointing category. while it wasn't as bad as anchorman, i was seriously underwhelmed. it had a few big laughs, but for the most part it was bland, and downright boring in a few spots.

C+/B-

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:17 pm
Mod Team Leader

well, will ferrell's movies are usually absolutely hilarious (old school/elf), or extremely disappointing (anchorman/kicking and screaming/bewitched), and i'd classify talladega nights in the disappointing category. while it wasn't as bad as anchorman, i was seriously underwhelmed. it had a few big laughs, but for the most part it was bland, and downright boring in a few spots.

C+/B-

Very nicely said. :smile:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next